Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Twins Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: General Twins Talk Page: <<   < prev  611 612 [613] 614 615   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/14/2019 9:13:02 AM   
twinsfan

The Twins and shortstop Jorge Polanco are close to a contract extension, according to multiple reports.

If it’s finalized, it’s a significant contract extension for one of the players that this front office considers part of it’s long-term core.

ESPN’s Jeff Passan compared the contracts to those signed by Jose Ramirez and Kolten Wong.

The Cardinals in 2016 gave Wong a 5-year deal for $25.5 million, plus a club option for a sixth year at $12.5 million.

The Indians in 2017 gave Ramirez a 5-year deal for $26 million, plus an option year for $11 million and another option year for $13 million. On one hand, you can see the security and the wealth it delivers to Ramirez. On the other hand, you have to imagine the Indians were happy to pay their MVP candidate less than $2.5 million last season.

Polanco, 25, was suspended 80 games last spring for failing a drug test (Stanozolol, a steroid). The previous year in 2017, he had quietly become one of the better hitters in a great Twins’ lineup, and looked primed for a big year in 2018. Instead, he sat out the first half of the season with the drug suspension. He was apologetic about the violation, and said that he unintentionally consumed the steroid, and conceded only that he should have paid closer attention to what was going into his body.

Polanco returned as the starting shorstop and hit .288/.345/.427 in the second half. His .336 Weighted On-Base Average ranked 10th among big league shortstops last season, among hitters he went to the plate at least 250 times.

Didn't like the verse.
Didn't like the chorus.
Didn't like the song.
But now I do.
Post #: 15301
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/14/2019 10:48:45 AM   
Phil Riewer

The Twins are nearing the completion of a new contract with right fielder Max Kepler, Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports. If and when the deal is completed, it’d be the second long-term deal hammered out by the Twins this week, as the team is also reported to be finalizing a five-year pact with shortstop Jorge Polanco. The Twins, notably, have scheduled a press conference for 10am tomorrow morning. Kepler is represented by Sosnick, Cobbe & Karon.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 15302
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/14/2019 11:54:05 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

The Twins are nearing the completion of a new contract with right fielder Max Kepler, Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports. If and when the deal is completed, it’d be the second long-term deal hammered out by the Twins this week, as the team is also reported to be finalizing a five-year pact with shortstop Jorge Polanco. The Twins, notably, have scheduled a press conference for 10am tomorrow morning. Kepler is represented by Sosnick, Cobbe & Karon.

Wow, that's quite a commitment to Kepler. 5 years, $35 million, with a team option for a 6th year at $10 million.

Didn't like the verse.
Didn't like the chorus.
Didn't like the song.
But now I do.
Post #: 15303
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/14/2019 11:55:04 AM   
twinsfan

The Polanco deal makes more sense to me. $25.75 million over 5 years, with team options for both a 6th year and a 7th year.

Didn't like the verse.
Didn't like the chorus.
Didn't like the song.
But now I do.
Post #: 15304
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/14/2019 11:55:13 AM   
SoMnFan

I'm sure the two wunderkinds know exactly what they are doing ....
Post #: 15305
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/14/2019 12:06:15 PM   
TJSweens

It sounds like there will no extensions for Sano and Buxton this year. That makes sense for both sides.

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it.
Post #: 15306
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/14/2019 12:13:59 PM   
TJSweens

Gibson reported after dealing with ecoli after an off season humanitarian trip to the Dominican and Haiti. He'll probably be frail and throwing about 80 mph.

Post #: 15307
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/14/2019 12:46:51 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

Wow, that's quite a commitment to Kepler. 5 years, $35 million, with a team option for a 6th year at $10 million.

Long term is the problem with the deal. In the economics of the current game it's pretty cheap for a long time. I would hope that Kepler continues to develop. Same with Polanco.

In 2016, Clinton's underlying (and sometimes overlying) message was something like this: Trump is awful and you will never vote for him. And I am the only other person running for president.
Post #: 15308
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/14/2019 1:11:21 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Gibson reported after dealing with ecoli after an off season humanitarian trip to the Dominican and Haiti. He'll probably be frail and throwing about 80 mph.

Bert n Ernie will give him the purple heart every time he GASP! is able to drag himself out to the mound this season.
Over/under on number of times they'll use it to excuse a poor performance?
Post #: 15309
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/14/2019 4:51:12 PM   
ronhextall

Kepler doesn't hit for average or power.

whatever.

I have almost zero interest in going to a game this year, I wan't to go to an MLS game at new stadium.

Sign Harper or Machado and I will change my mind.
Post #: 15310
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/14/2019 4:52:07 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

No doubt this will be repeated every time he starts and sucks.
Post #: 15311
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/14/2019 6:03:45 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

The Twins and shortstop Jorge Polanco are close to a contract extension, according to multiple reports.

If it’s finalized, it’s a significant contract extension for one of the players that this front office considers part of it’s long-term core.

ESPN’s Jeff Passan compared the contracts to those signed by Jose Ramirez and Kolten Wong.

The Cardinals in 2016 gave Wong a 5-year deal for $25.5 million, plus a club option for a sixth year at $12.5 million.

The Indians in 2017 gave Ramirez a 5-year deal for $26 million, plus an option year for $11 million and another option year for $13 million. On one hand, you can see the security and the wealth it delivers to Ramirez. On the other hand, you have to imagine the Indians were happy to pay their MVP candidate less than $2.5 million last season.

Polanco, 25, was suspended 80 games last spring for failing a drug test (Stanozolol, a steroid). The previous year in 2017, he had quietly become one of the better hitters in a great Twins’ lineup, and looked primed for a big year in 2018. Instead, he sat out the first half of the season with the drug suspension. He was apologetic about the violation, and said that he unintentionally consumed the steroid, and conceded only that he should have paid closer attention to what was going into his body.

Polanco returned as the starting shorstop and hit .288/.345/.427 in the second half. His .336 Weighted On-Base Average ranked 10th among big league shortstops last season, among hitters he went to the plate at least 250 times.

Why would the Twins be offering Polanco a LT contract extension? He had the drug bust and wasn't anything special last season after he came back.

Minnesota professional sports can't be awful forever, can they?
Post #: 15312
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/14/2019 6:06:01 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

This is REALLY stupid! Kepler is a dime a dozen player. This is bad money being spent AGAIN!

Post #: 15313
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/14/2019 6:09:28 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

I'm sure the two wunderkinds know exactly what they are doing ....

This is plain stupidity!

Post #: 15314
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/14/2019 6:11:12 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

Bert n Ernie will give him the purple heart every time he GASP! is able to drag himself out to the mound this season.
Over/under on number of times they'll use it to excuse a poor performance?

The entire season.

Post #: 15315
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/14/2019 6:13:28 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

Kepler doesn't hit for average or power.

whatever.

I have almost zero interest in going to a game this year, I wan't to go to an MLS game at new stadium.

Sign Harper or Machado and I will change my mind.

Like I said, there are at least two dozen Max Kepler type players in ML baseball who have similar or less number of ML AB. Kepler hasn't shown much, if any, improvement. This is really a long shot, at best. Just stupid of Failvine.

Post #: 15316
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/14/2019 6:25:02 PM   
CPAMAN

I am still in complete fog about a Max Kepler extension. He nearly played himself out of the lineup last August.

18 Kepler, M MIN RF 156 532 80 119 30 4 20 58 71 96 4 5 .224 .319 .408 .727

These were Kepler's numbers last season. His BA, OBP and overall numbers pretty much suck. So do Failvine!

Post #: 15317
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/14/2019 7:58:43 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

This is REALLY stupid! Kepler is a dime a dozen player. This is bad money being spent AGAIN!

Calm down. It's $7M a year. Not exactly a budget buster.

Post #: 15318
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/14/2019 10:30:49 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What has Kepler done to deserve $35 million? That is insane. He sucks.

Post #: 15319
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/14/2019 11:10:49 PM   
McMurfy

How about a Spring Training Thread to get us in mid season form by condensing all posts?

Great Idea McMurfy

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 15320
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/15/2019 6:38:16 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What has Kepler done to deserve $35 million? That is insane. He sucks.

Look, I get that your thing is to say so and so sucks or is a worthless POS, but Kepler is neither of those. $7 M a year is what players with Kepler's numbers and years of experience get.

Post #: 15321
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/15/2019 7:30:37 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

How about a Spring Training Thread to get us in mid season form by condensing all posts?

Great Idea McMurfy

Get that done my man.
Post #: 15322
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/15/2019 7:32:10 AM   
Jeff Allen

Rosario is the stud...he's 27.

Buxton is the hopeful CF the next decade.

Alex Kirilloff is a Top 10 prospect.

Where is Kepler going to play the next five years? A trade has to happen.
Post #: 15323
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/15/2019 8:30:14 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Allen

Rosario is the stud...he's 27.

Buxton is the hopeful CF the next decade.

Alex Kirilloff is a Top 10 prospect.

Where is Kepler going to play the next five years? A trade has to happen.

I think Kirilloff plays OF and 1B, so there are options that way. The bottom line is that if Kepler breaks out, his contract could be a bargain. If he continues at his level, his contract won't impede a trade. $7M a year just isn't that big of a deal.

Post #: 15324
RE: General Twins Talk - 2/15/2019 9:33:03 AM   
ronhextall

I would have let Kepler walk.

He isn’t the answer to anything.

“Experience” isn’t something that should add value in baseball. “Results” is what should be valued.

Nice payday for him. Doesn’t advance the Twins even a tiny bit.

Roll all these $7 million turds together and you could sign Harper and give people a reason to buy a ticket.
Post #: 15325
Page:   <<   < prev  611 612 [613] 614 615   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: General Twins Talk Page: <<   < prev  611 612 [613] 614 615   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode