Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Mike Priefer must GO

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Mike Priefer must GO Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/17/2017 7:06:57 PM   
Ricky J

Address the 1.3 return yards ...
Post #: 376
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/17/2017 7:10:15 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

What's there to get? We sacrifice yards and field position for fair catches.

Punt from opponents 45. FC at the 18. No return. Helps that avg but the punt was a lousy 27 yards.
Post #: 377
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/17/2017 7:18:25 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

Punt from opponents 45. FC at the 18. No return. Helps that avg but the punt was a lousy 27 yards.

It was interesting, we had a couple of those punts this last Sunday. Agreed not good. That said, the last one dropped ALMOST completely vertically to the punt returner. I'm wondering if there was a draft blowing across towards the open big doors.
Post #: 378
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/17/2017 7:21:36 PM   
Todd M

Maybe. I haven't looked at every punt like I did Kluwe's and I'm not saying that exact punt happened - all I know is that if it did...Priefer would slap his (or any of his punter's) butt and say good job.
Post #: 379
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/17/2017 7:26:48 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

We punt from the 45 every time?

I"ve never looked up stats for an argument in the past and I'm not going to do so now. I don't know how 1.3 compares to the league but I do know we ain't giving up shit on a punt. A freekin' punt! It must mean they have to travel quite a ways to score on our D.

F' OCD over doodle squat!
Post #: 380
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/17/2017 7:42:57 PM   
Todd M

Some people will take the comfortable familiar route home every time and never think about it.

Some of us might take that same route but look at two or three things that aren't as up to par as they could or should be. Take a left hand turn you need to make and most of the time you end up at an advanced left that's off and you aren't "supposed" to take the left even though it is clear clear coming towards you and every human being that drives could easily make the turn. Now you might just sit it out and what evs it and that's fine. Some of us might complain about those extra few minutes existing that way for no good reason. Might promote changing such things. Why be mad at that?

If something doesn't have to be shitty for no reason and changing it only made your fine situation better - why bristle against that?
Post #: 381
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/17/2017 8:11:50 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

So other than our punting, kick returns, PATs, fakes, defending fakes, and punt returns our special teams are A - OK. So other than that Mrs Lincoln how was the play?

It's not as bad as you make it out to be is all I'm saying.
I understand Pfeiffer rubs you the wrong way but the the gains you seek are minimal as well as occasional.
Nobody does what you want to be done with frequency.
Unless you have an amazing punter.
There is maybe 2 in the league right now.

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 382
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/17/2017 8:21:09 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art

quote:

So other than our punting, kick returns, PATs, fakes, defending fakes, and punt returns our special teams are A - OK. So other than that Mrs Lincoln how was the play?

I understand Pfeiffer rubs you the wrong way but the the gains you seek are minimal as well as occasional.

Your post contradicts itself. You say the gains I seek are minimal - which I agree with (also why it's so frustrating priefer can't achieve it) and then say only 2 punters in the league have that skill.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 383
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/17/2017 8:30:41 PM   
quote:

Some people will take the comfortable familiar route home every time and never think about it.

Some of us might take that same route but look at two or three things that aren't as up to par as they could or should be. Take a left hand turn you need to make and most of the time you end up at an advanced left that's off and you aren't "supposed" to take the left even though it is clear clear coming towards you and every human being that drives could easily make the turn. Now you might just sit it out and what evs it and that's fine. Some of us might complain about those extra few minutes existing that way for no good reason. Might promote changing such things. Why be mad at that?

If something doesn't have to be shitty for no reason and changing it only made your fine situation better - why bristle against that?

It's hardly shitty in the big picture.
Certainly not as shitty as leaving 4 points off the board in the red zone.

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 384
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/17/2017 8:34:15 PM   
quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art

quote:

Your post contradicts itself. You say the gains I seek are minimal - which I agree with (also why it's so frustrating priefer can't achieve it) and then say only 2 punters in the league have that skill.

Did not say they have the skill.
I said there are 2 amazing punters.
When you have one of those you can push the envelope a little more.
Our last 3 punters are not of that caliber.
Still, their net is near league average.
Any issues we have there are minimal.

Post #: 385
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/17/2017 9:08:13 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

Not mad at all. edit: Just appears agenda driven is all ...

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 10/17/2017 9:22:11 PM >
Post #: 386
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/18/2017 8:36:33 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Not mad at all. edit: Just appears agenda driven is all ...

I agree to that. Also when the chips were down with Zimmer's eye he handed the reins to Priefer. I don't think Priefer is going anywhere.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 387
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/18/2017 9:19:51 AM  1 votes
David F.

I see it as agenda driven from the 'other' side. I've presented my case with stats, facts, game situations, and player performance before, during, and after Priefer. The 'other' side of the argument has only presented conjecture in my opinion. And the world won't end either way. If you're happy with kick returns to the 18-20, 30 yard punts fair caught at the 18, kickoffs from the 50 that sail out the back of the endzone, blocked punts deep in our own territory, successful fakes when the opponent is 'punting' from our 38 yard line, and blowing draft picks on punters only to let them go because 'turns out I guess they're no good' and then the guy ends up 9th in the league in net average six weeks into his new team... well then just be happy because Priefer will keep you content with plenty of the aforementioned.

Now - if you're actually NOT happy with all that - but defend him anyway - then I suspect YOU have an agenda.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 388
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/18/2017 9:24:21 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

I see it as agenda driven from the 'other' side. I've presented my case with stats, facts, game situations, and player performance before, during, and after Priefer. The 'other' side of the argument has only presented conjecture in my opinion. And the world won't end either way. If you're happy with kick returns to the 18-20, 30 yard punts fair caught at the 18, kickoffs from the 50 that sail out the back of the endzone, blocked punts deep in our own territory, successful fakes when the opponent is 'punting' from our 38 yard line, and blowing draft picks on punters only to let them go because 'turns out I guess they're no good' and then the guy ends up 9th in the league in net average six weeks into his new team... well then just be happy because Priefer will keep you content with plenty of the aforementioned.

Now - if you're actually NOT happy with all that - but defend him anyway - then I suspect YOU have an agenda.

I think i do - your agenda ;)
Post #: 389
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/18/2017 9:46:28 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Again,

What is our record?
What games did our ST cost us this year?

What games outside of Walsh did the ST cost us the last 2 years?

Post #: 390
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/18/2017 9:53:48 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Again,

What is our record?

I choose to look at it from the perspective of 'How many more could we have won?' and 'Why aren't the aspects of ST's that are measurable at least in the top half of the league?'. And why should we just ignore Walsh? Why was he even on the team? Let me guess - Priefer carries not one ounce of blame in that either?

I'll tell you what I like and don't like - you tell me what you like and don't like. That's how this works. Blindly defending him gets us no where.

Post #: 391
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/18/2017 9:58:07 AM   
SoMnFan

Can't agree more David.
Nothing wrong with wanting every area of our game to improve.
Post #: 392
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/18/2017 9:58:56 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Again,
What is our record?

I choose to look at it from the perspective of 'How many more could we have won?' and 'Why aren't the aspects of ST's that are measurable at least in the top half of the league?'. And why should we just ignore Walsh? Why was he even on the team? Let me guess - Priefer carries not one ounce of blame in that either?
I'll tell you what I like and don't like - you tell me what you like and don't like. That's how this works. Blindly defending him gets us no where.

If you can tell me the games the ST has lost us a game I would be on your side....but there isn't any David. This is not blindly defending him. I have always looked at ST that way, don't lose us the game and don't give up tons of field position in PR & KR. Coverage has been damn good this year. Zimmer and Priefer have the ST playing straight up with minimal chances.
The only thing about Priefer is they didn't cut Walsh early enough that it cost us against the Lions last year....but I don't think it was his call.
I remember the ST during Denny's regime.....worst PR and KR coverage teams with a big return by the opposing team almost every game.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/18/2017 10:13:03 AM >

Post #: 393
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/18/2017 10:11:52 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Can't agree more David.

If only that was the reason ...
Post #: 394
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/18/2017 10:14:20 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Can't agree more David.

The Title is what David wants....not necessarily improved special teams.....the special teams could be the worst and he would be happy. He hated Locke for every year he was here for being drafted to replace Chris.

Post #: 395
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/18/2017 10:18:22 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

Can't agree more David.

The Title is what David wants....not necessarily improved special teams.....the special teams could be the worst and he would be happy. He hated Locke for every year he was here for being drafted to replace Chris.

That's a complete lie. I supported Locke the whole way and predicted he would blossom once away from Priefer.

Post #: 396
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/18/2017 10:18:39 AM   
Chad

Why fire him? He’s the best coach on the staff. Why is this even a thread???
Post #: 397
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/18/2017 10:24:49 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chad
Why fire him? He’s the best coach on the staff. Why is this even a thread???

Goes back to 2013 when Locke was drafted in the 5th round and Kluwe was cut because he no longer was worth 3 million/year as a punter. In addition Kluwe is the out spoken type that rubbed Priefer's rhubbarb the wrong way and both said innappropriate things.
Ever since then David has wanted him fired.
Dave likes Kluwe, majority think he wasn't a good punter at the end---long story, shortened. Dave has a personal vendetta against Priefer even after Kluwe has been paid off and is over it. I hope you are up to speed now.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/18/2017 10:28:54 AM >

Post #: 398
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/18/2017 10:25:35 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Can't agree more David.

That's a complete lie. I supported Locke the whole way and predicted he would blossom once away from Priefer.

You conveniently don't remember your comments the first 2 years? ok Dave.

Post #: 399
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 10/18/2017 10:30:57 AM   
David F.

In our loss to Detroit this season:

4th and 5 at DET 40
(8:57 - 1st) (Punt formation) R.Quigley punts 19 yards to DET 21, impetus ends at DET 21, Center-K.McDermott, out of bounds.

4th and 7 at MIN 47
(7:07 - 1st) (Punt formation) J.Locke punts 37 yards to MIN 10, Center-D.Muhlbach, fair catch by M.Sherels.

4th and 1 at MIN 36
(9:21 - 2nd) (Punt formation) R.Quigley punts 42 yards to DET 22, Center-K.McDermott, fair catch by G.Tate.

4th and 8 at DET 21
(0:50 - 3rd) K.Forbath 39 yard field goal is No Good, Hit Right Upright, Center-K.McDermott, Holder-R.Quigley.

4th and 9 at DET 41
(12:18 - 4th) (Punt formation) J.Locke punts 54 yards to MIN 5, Center-D.Muhlbach, downed by DET-J.Abbrederis.

4th and 15 at DET 9
(2:00 - 4th) (Punt formation) J.Locke punts 47 yards to MIN 44, Center-D.Muhlbach. M.Sherels to MIN 44 for no gain (J.Abbrederis).

Better special teams might have made the difference in this game. We lost by 7.

I'll go through every game in the last two years. Offhand I'm thinking about the game where we got our punt blocked deep in our own territory but can't remember who it was against. I'll find it. Now in every case there will be other things to blame a win or credit a win on. My purpose is simply to show where our special teams could - AND SHOULD - improve. Over the course of a season it might amount to just one or two games that could go from a loss to a win. But if that's your job - shouldn't you do it?

Post #: 400
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Mike Priefer must GO Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode