Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Mike Priefer must GO

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Mike Priefer must GO Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/2/2015 11:45:15 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

Sherels more than likely will be our [punt] returner if everything works according to, of course what I would like. Obviously, he's our good punt returner

---

quote:

“I vehemently deny today’s allegations made by Chris Kluwe,”

quote:

Saying he's learned a "hard lesson," Minnesota Vikings special-teams coordinator Mike Priefer apologized Thursday for the homophobic remark he made during the 2012 season

An idiot, liar, and a homophobe.

We(most of us) wanted AD back so what's the difference.

Just Win Baby
Post #: 176
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/2/2015 11:46:56 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

Sherels more than likely will be our [punt] returner if everything works according to, of course what I would like. Obviously, he's our good punt returner

---

quote:

quote:

Saying he's learned a "hard lesson," Minnesota Vikings special-teams coordinator Mike Priefer apologized Thursday for the homophobic remark he made during the 2012 season

Doesn't say much for Zimmer does it?

For retaining him? If in fact it was his say, perhaps. In this one regard. Everything else Zimmer is awesome.

Herein lies the dirty little secret of Zimmer. He LOVES Priefer. I listened to an interview of Zimmer on Sirius NFL not long after he was hired. They specifically asked him about keeping Priefer in light of everything that was going on. Zimmer laughed it off and then started to make a comment about how insignificant of an offense Priefer had committed and then cut himself off. He chuckled and dismissed the whole thing.

Zimmer is an awesome coach and since he wasn't here during the 'nuke island' ordeal I give him a reluctant free pass. I have little doubt that he and Priefer are peas in the same pod when it comes to gay rights but... he hasn't done anything or said anything negative or stupid so - free pass.

SOP for a homophobe.. either say nothing that might "out" you.. like Priefer obviously did.. or make excuses and dismiss behavior that you are "alright with".

Zim may be a homophobe, then again, he may just not give a shit as long as it doesn't effect his team doing it's job..

But special teams is definitely not a "strong" suit when you get return TD's about as often as tornados in Minnesota.

Harvin and CP are tornadoes. Even Sherels had a couple F-5s.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 9/2/2015 11:49:10 AM >
Post #: 177
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/2/2015 12:16:50 PM   
drviking

Kluwe gone....check
Loeffler gone...check

Priefer gone......soon
Walsh gone......soon

almost done with everyone involved in the stupidity.....cant wait....then the only thing remaining is ADs stupidity...only a few years left of that

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 178
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/2/2015 3:17:55 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

---

quote:

quote:

He's an idiot for saying Sherels is a good punt returner?

He didn't just say Sherels is a good punt returner. He said he's OUR good punt returner. Showing obvious bias. Along with the statement of everything working out 'how he'd like'. You don't do that as a coach.

What would you think if Zim was asked about the CB position and he said; If everything works out like I hope Newman will be our starting CB - he's our good CB.
Post #: 179
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/2/2015 3:24:15 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

---

quote:

quote:

He's an idiot for saying Sherels is a good punt returner?

He didn't just say Sherels is a good punt returner. He said he's OUR good punt returner. Showing obvious bias. Along with the statement of everything working out 'how he'd like'. You don't do that as a coach.

What would you think if Zim was asked about the CB position and he said; If everything works out like I hope Newman will be our starting CB - he's our good CB.

It feels like you're reading too much into it. Bias towards what? The Vikings?

And I don't think the CB comparison is apt. You play multiple CBs, you generally have 1 punt returner. Would you have a problem if he said "Patterson is our best kick returner"?

Also, leaving off the rest of the quote feels like it changes the meaning. In the original quote, "our good punt returner" is just part of a longer list:

"Sherels more than likely will be our [punt] returner if everything works according to, of course what I would like. Obviously, he's our good punt returner and he's an excellent backup kickoff returner and he can play halfback on a kickoff return team because he's an effective blocker as well, no matter what his size is," Priefer said.
Post #: 180
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/2/2015 3:30:44 PM   
David Levine

I think Diggs is potentially a better PR than Sherels, but we were only 2 preseason games in when Preifer made that comment. And while everyone wants to replace Marcus, he has been one of the better PRs the past few years.

2014: Top 10
2013: Top 3
Post #: 181
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/2/2015 3:47:57 PM   
Todd M

Some day I'll make a point that resonates with David Levine. He'll say; You know, you're right, Todd.

That will be a good day.
Post #: 182
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/2/2015 4:14:13 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

---

quote:

quote:

For retaining him? If in fact it was his say, perhaps. In this one regard. Everything else Zimmer is awesome.

Herein lies the dirty little secret of Zimmer. He LOVES Priefer. I listened to an interview of Zimmer on Sirius NFL not long after he was hired. They specifically asked him about keeping Priefer in light of everything that was going on. Zimmer laughed it off and then started to make a comment about how insignificant of an offense Priefer had committed and then cut himself off. He chuckled and dismissed the whole thing.

Zimmer is an awesome coach and since he wasn't here during the 'nuke island' ordeal I give him a reluctant free pass. I have little doubt that he and Priefer are peas in the same pod when it comes to gay rights but... he hasn't done anything or said anything negative or stupid so - free pass.

SOP for a homophobe.. either say nothing that might "out" you.. like Priefer obviously did.. or make excuses and dismiss behavior that you are "alright with".

Zim may be a homophobe, then again, he may just not give a shit as long as it doesn't effect his team doing it's job..

But special teams is definitely not a "strong" suit when you get return TD's about as often as tornados in Minnesota.

That's probably about the worst analogy I've seen there Dano.
Post #: 183
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/2/2015 4:16:36 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

---

quote:

quote:

I'm wondering where the Bud Grants, the Jerry Burnsies of the world fall on the subject of gay rights.
Post #: 184
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/2/2015 5:36:03 PM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

Zim's doing what he's paid to do: coach football and scream obscenities at players when they don't perform well. He's got so many f-bombs at the ready that he doesn't have to resort to slurs. Whatever his personal opinions, I suspect he only cares about what happens on the field. And he cares a ****ing ****ing ****ing lot.

I thought Zim kept Priefer around because he knew that if he let him go he'd be out of football. Nobody was going to hire him coming off that media mess. He could probably get another job now.

But Priefer's positives... I thought I put up a fairly solid catalog of his strengths and weaknesses earlier.

His combination of punting and punt coverage isn't very good. Maybe it's just variance that punters have off years when he works with them, but Colquitt, Kluwe, and Locke have all had relatively bad years when he was their coach. There isn't a punter whose had a good year while he was their coach.

I used to give him a bump up for Walsh's rookie year, but after last year, I dropped the FG kicking to neutral. Kickoff coverage is fine, largely driven by Walsh's leg.

Many years ago, I timed Loeffler's snaps. They were extremely fast, much faster than other snappers I timed. Last year he wasn't very good, and I've read that his snaps were slow. That drop-off didn't happen overnight. It's on Priefer that he hadn't sought competition for Loeffler before this year. And there have been rumblings that Locke was struggling with bad snaps, well, then very likely Kluwe was struggling with them too. And it's likely on Priefer for not noticing that Kluwe both managed to handle those snaps for Walsh's rookie year, and to be a decent punter despite those snaps because Locke certainly wasn't.

Prefer has had really good return men --- Harvin, Sherels, Patterson. He deserves credit for developing Sherels, but likely not the other two.

Considering Locke's performance, and a number of other factors, I think Kluwe's claims about Priefer are more credible than Priefer's denials, such as the deliberate downgrades. For a professional coach, that's inexcusable.

(Yeah, I know an "independent" management person reviewed him, but everybody knew what answer he was supposed to give. And there's still the Raiders happy with Kluwe or King, after.)

Overall, he's not an unusually good special teams coach. No better than average NFL, likely somewhat below (and probably much better than the typical collegiate coach --- same as below average NFL players). If Loeffler's snaps were at the root of the punting & kicking issues, then maybe he'll look like a genius this year. But if that happens, it's at least a year too late.

I would priefer (hee) a different ST coach. Maybe someone will buy his shtick and hire him as a head coach. That was the buzz before the Kluwe incident. Or maybe he's still too radioactive.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 185
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/2/2015 8:11:05 PM   
thebigo

The obvious reason for Walsh's fall off is that he's been kicking outside there is a direct correlation there. And you could say the same about locke. Well maybe you not locke
Post #: 186
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/2/2015 8:16:31 PM   
Todd M

Walsh was 21/27 77.8% outdoors and 5/8 62.5% indoors.
Post #: 187
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/2/2015 8:20:01 PM   
thebigo

Distances? Small sample size?
Post #: 188
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/2/2015 8:32:04 PM   
Todd M

Indoors he missed one from 20-29 and two from 50+

Outdoors he missed two from 30-39, two from 40-49, and two from 50+

Sure it's a small sample size but it doesn't exactly help your conclusion.
Post #: 189
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/2/2015 8:32:27 PM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

---

quote:

quote:

I'm wondering where the Bud Grants, the Jerry Burnsies of the world fall on the subject of gay rights.

i cant think of anything i would wonder about less than that...but everyone has their thing

Post #: 190
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/2/2015 8:34:08 PM   
Todd M

In 2013 he was 14/16 87.6% outdoors and 12/14 85.7% indoors. 85.7% outdoors in 2012 but virtually perfect indoors.
Post #: 191
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/2/2015 9:52:08 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

---

quote:

quote:

i cant think of anything i would wonder about less than that...but everyone has their thing

Yeah, right, you won't be able to sleep tonight...
Post #: 192
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/2/2015 9:54:41 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Some day I'll make a point that resonates with Todd Mallett. He'll say; You know, you're right, Todd.

That will be a good day.
Post #: 193
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/2/2015 10:20:18 PM   
shakeywalton

quote:

I think Diggs is potentially a better PR than Sherels, but we were only 2 preseason games in when Preifer made that comment. And while everyone wants to replace Marcus, he has been one of the better PRs the past few years.

Completely agree!

Additionally, Sherel's is our best gunner and not a horrible option at all as a 4th-6th CB.

Sherel's is going to make the squad..... guaranteed!
Post #: 194
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/2/2015 10:22:10 PM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: shakeywalton

quote:

Completely agree!

Additionally, Sherel's is our best gunner and not a horrible option at all as a 4th-6th CB.

Sherel's is going to make the squad..... guaranteed!

now that's a neck tattoo anybody would love

Post #: 195
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/2/2015 11:12:27 PM   
JT2

Sherels is the classic example of an overachiever. Undrafted and almost unnoticed. Carved out a role with work ethic and reliability. More elusive than he looks.

He is not a very good CB, by most measures. He has not been very good as a gunner, IMO. His punt returns have been reliable, with the occasional big play. Crafty, wise and a bit slippery. However, his propensity to FC last season was troubling to me.

If Diggs wants the PR job, he will have to match Sherels on decision making and reliability. Athletically, Diggs is way better. Coaches, even homophobe coaches, find great comfort with a reliable fielder/decision maker.

If Diggs works out the basics, the fundamentals of the position, I think he will be our PR by mid-season.

< Message edited by JT2 -- 9/2/2015 11:31:08 PM >
Post #: 196
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/3/2015 8:35:08 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

Sherels is the classic example of an overachiever. Undrafted and almost unnoticed. Carved out a role with work ethic and reliability. More elusive than he looks.

He is not a very good CB, by most measures. He has not been very good as a gunner, IMO. His punt returns have been reliable, with the occasional big play. Crafty, wise and a bit slippery. However, his propensity to FC last season was troubling to me.

If Diggs wants the PR job, he will have to match Sherels on decision making and reliability. Athletically, Diggs is way better. Coaches, even homophobe coaches, find great comfort with a reliable fielder/decision maker.

If Diggs works out the basics, the fundamentals of the position, I think he will be our PR by mid-season.

Concur completely. Price at a minimum is a better gunner, and as you say Diggs' only remaining challenge to surpass Sherels as a PR is convincing the coaches of things we may not be entirely privy to (eg, whether he follows instruction, any drops in practice, etc.). Thomas, Robinson, Prater, and Price should all be kept ahead of him. He's a great guy to have on your roster if you NEED a PR who can do other stuff passably, so he actually may have trade value. I would start there if I were Spielman. Love the kid, but his use by date for us is passing.
Post #: 197
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/3/2015 9:59:32 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

Some day I'll make a point that resonates with Todd Mallett. He'll say; You know, you're right, Todd.

That will be a good day.

True, but he'll be talking about himself
Post #: 198
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/3/2015 10:38:26 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

There are going to be tough cuts this year. More so than at any point I can remember.

I like Sherles, but I'd let him go and gamble on Diggs.
Post #: 199
RE: Mike Priefer must GO - 9/3/2015 11:27:24 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

That will be a good day.

True, but he'll be talking about himself

ba dum bum
Post #: 200
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Mike Priefer must GO Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode