Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Just Out Of Curiosity

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Just Out Of Curiosity Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/1/2016 11:44:02 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

BTW I LOVE the fact that your mom got the tickets after the divorce. It's clearly not only men who love the sport.

If they have two tickets then they should have got one each.

So they could sit with each other at the games?
Post #: 226
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/1/2016 11:45:44 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

BTW I LOVE the fact that your mom got the tickets after the divorce. It's clearly not only men who love the sport.

Nothing quite like spending thousands of dollars to be forced to sit next to someone you don't want to...
Post #: 227
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/1/2016 12:22:40 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

Nothing quite like spending thousands of dollars to be forced to sit next to someone you don't want to...

My mom hoped to split them; my dad assumed he would get them since a lot of those around us were his high school friends. Rather than sit with her, he let her have them. His friends were extremely generous with her throughout her life (my mom had some issues, to say the least). Seemed normal as a kid; when I look back on it, their treatment of her was one of the most humane gestures I've witnessed.
Post #: 228
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/1/2016 12:25:25 PM   
Ricky J

Interesting story

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 2/1/2016 12:32:29 PM >
Post #: 229
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/1/2016 6:17:24 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Geez, what's all this divorce talk? Back in the day this thread was simply about beautiful women!
Post #: 230
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/1/2016 7:24:16 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

Late, but here goes:

Born: October 14, 1962 (53)

The day I was born was the first Vikings game my parents missed, and the Vikings lost to Green Bay 48-21. My mom got the tickets in their divorce and we got to go to one game per year. Our upper-deck seats were around the 30-yard line on the right field side, the angle from which you see the initial views of the Pearson Hail Mary catch (there was a camera bay just to the left of our seats and at the edge of the overhang). My favorite games to go to as a kid were the Detroit games because I liked Lem Barney and we always won. I never hated our division rivals, only the Cowboys and the fans of the Packers once I attended the University of Wisconsin.

We tailgated no matter the weather and I trolled the area around our car for someone throwing a ball/playing a game. Our section in the stands included Jack Steele (a minority owner from the Boyer family) and Dr. and Mrs Wright, parents of Jeff Wright and Paul Wright (SS at the U who was later my football coach). Everyone around us sipped out of thermoses and/or flasks and Dr Wright took me down to the tunnel where players exited the Met. I met my favorite player at the time, Ed Marinaro, who, in response to me telling him I wanted to be just like him, told me not to fumble so much. My mom's boss somehow knew a bunch of players and had parties with them at his house occasionally. My mom got to know Paul Dickson, reserve DL who took me to the Decathlon Athletic Club a couple of times.

I was at the Hail Mary game and was looking right at Armen Terezian when he wilted after the bottle hit his head (it happened roughly parallel to our seats). Todd M, you disgrace my family history with your revisionist take on that play, and that's all there is to it.

I followed the Vikings from around the country and in France when I went to school there. I covered the team as a writer for the Twin Cities Reader and it was both ultra cool and illusion shattering. The lockerroom was a disgusting place from both a sensory and behavioral standpoint. Many players from that time (mid-90s) were assholes and frauds, and Denny Green was who we thought he was---a dick. I actually stopped going every week because it ceased to be much fun. After I moved back out to Cali, I tried to quit the Vikings a couple of times in a Brokeback way and kept getting pulled back like Pacino in the Godfather.

I came upon this community at the Strib and mostly lurk, though I post in streaks. I became disillusioned again with the early Wilf years and considered moving on when it looked like the disastrous beginning would continue, but I'm more hooked than ever at this point. I hope the Wilf/Spielman turnaround continues; this might be the start of our window.

Love the voices in here, even the nuts and assholes. This is a classic community and is definitely part of the hook of Vikings football for me, though I'll probably stay out of the game threads more often than not.

Great thread and thanks for letting me share.
'

OUTSTANDING, man.
So close to my age, and you got to do some of the things I wanted to, like get closer to the team.
No surprise it turned out to be a disappointing eye-opener. Hear that a lot.
Helps one grow up, tho.
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing. Starting to remember why this was one of the best threads ever started.
Post #: 231
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/1/2016 8:35:00 PM  1 votes
Todd M

quote:

Todd M, you disgrace my family history with your revisionist take on that play, and that's all there is to it.

I don't know if you're joking or not...doesn't seem like it. If you're not that statement is way heavy handed and melodramatic.

Doesn't make me want to concede at all. Makes me want to double down on my efforts to prove DP didn't push off.

Waking up.
Post #: 232
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/1/2016 8:52:18 PM  1 votes
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

Todd M, you disgrace my family history with your revisionist take on that play, and that's all there is to it.

I don't know if you're joking or not...doesn't seem like it. If you're not that statement is way heavy handed and melodramatic.

Doesn't make me want to concede at all. Makes me want to double down on my efforts to prove DP didn't push off.

Have always agreed with Todd M on this chapter of Viking Lore.
Sat thru the replay of the game again yesterday, thanks to Sammys post in the Randy Moss Thread.
Took my personal times-seeing-the-play count up to about 9,412 ..... and I still say I wouldn't have thrown a flag had I been a back judge there.
Small amount of contact, imo, and simply a shame that Nate Wright just didn't make the play he was in position to make.
Painful stuff to watch again. But loved seeing that team.
Recently deceased Freddy McNeil was a stud in that game, dude was everywhere. Our O simply didn't play like they should have.
Post #: 233
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/1/2016 8:54:12 PM   
SoMnFan

Loved that you admitted the Ed Marinaro love, bohumm.
I really dug that guy as well.
And was laughed at about it.
Loved how they used him as a one of the first hybrid-type guys. Kind of a TE, kind of a pass-catching back, etc.
Post #: 234
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/1/2016 9:23:46 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

Completely joking. ..sorry I wasn't clear about it. My emoticon game is very weak.
Post #: 235
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/1/2016 10:08:31 PM   
Lynn G.

Pearson even admitted in an interview about ten years after that that he pushed off.

Dang I wish I had saved that article.

What's up with that bootheel, Missouri?
Post #: 236
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/1/2016 10:12:24 PM   
Todd M

quote:

Pearson even admitted in an interview about ten years after that that he pushed off.

Dang I wish I had saved that article.

You keep stating that and it isn't true.

In his follow ups he says he didn't push off.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/16/1975-rewind-drew-pearson-insists-he-didnt-push-off/
1975 Rewind: Drew Pearson Insists He Didn’t Push Off

I can always find an article where he insists he didn't push off and you can never provide one where he says he did.

Time to put that to bed.

Waking up.
Post #: 237
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/1/2016 10:19:01 PM   
Todd M

Perhaps it will be possible to save this thread with only the back stories and related talk at some point?

Waking up.
Post #: 238
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/2/2016 12:26:18 AM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

Have always agreed with Todd M on this chapter of Viking Lore.
Sat thru the replay of the game again yesterday, thanks to Sammys post in the Randy Moss Thread.
Took my personal times-seeing-the-play count up to about 9,412 ..... and I still say I wouldn't have thrown a flag had I been a back judge there.
Small amount of contact, imo, and simply a shame that Nate Wright just didn't make the play he was in position to make.
Painful stuff to watch again. But loved seeing that team.
Recently deceased Freddy McNeil was a stud in that game, dude was everywhere. Our O simply didn't play like they should have.

Let 'em play a little.

If you view that play now and apply today's rules and officiating, of course you think a foul occurred. And, if your fanaticism overrides your ability to be objective, of course you saw a penalty.

WR's and DB's were hard, tough and expected contact back then. It was so much a part of the game. Offensive PI was a rare call in that era. In fact, I need to look at the numbers when I get a chance. My guess and memory says it was not called very often.

I have never read or heard Pearson admitting he committed a penalty.

If he pushed off isn't even the issue. Was it egregious enough to warrant a flag then?

< Message edited by JT2 -- 2/2/2016 12:28:33 AM >
Post #: 239
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/2/2016 12:58:41 AM   
Thomas O. Eliason

quote:

If he pushed off isn't even the issue. Was it egregious enough to warrant a flag then?

Actually, the push-off was one of the few ways a DB could get flagged back then.

You could murder a guy for as long as you could hold contact, coming off the line.

You could drop bombs on the guy as long as you timed it with the pass arrival.

You could mug the guy while the ball was in the air, as long as you were looking back towards the pass.

One of the few things you couldn't do to prevent the completion, was to shove the guy just as the ball was arriving.

I think Pearson pushed off, and he did it so smoothly, so elegantly, that the ref sat there in disbelief of what he just saw. I think his gut told him it was a push-off, but his brain overruled him. If you ran that play 100 times in front of 100 different refs, I think you'd get a flag about 25 or maybe 30 times.

Our guys were right - that was a clear push-off under the rules as they existed & were interpreted at the time.

But Pearson deserves credit for disguising it to the point where, I watch the clip over and over and I still argue with myself as to what actually happened.I watch it one time, and I'm as sure as sure can be. I watch it again later, and I'm as confused as marty watching Green Bay versus New England.

PPE II baby
Post #: 240
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/2/2016 8:40:11 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thomas O. Eliason

quote:

Actually, the push-off was one of the few ways a DB could get flagged back then.

You could murder a guy for as long as you could hold contact, coming off the line.

You could drop bombs on the guy as long as you timed it with the pass arrival.

You could mug the guy while the ball was in the air, as long as you were looking back towards the pass.

One of the few things you couldn't do to prevent the completion, was to shove the guy just as the ball was arriving.

I think Pearson pushed off, and he did it so smoothly, so elegantly, that the ref sat there in disbelief of what he just saw. I think his gut told him it was a push-off, but his brain overruled him. If you ran that play 100 times in front of 100 different refs, I think you'd get a flag about 25 or maybe 30 times.

Our guys were right - that was a clear push-off under the rules as they existed & were interpreted at the time.

But Pearson deserves credit for disguising it to the point where, I watch the clip over and over and I still argue with myself as to what actually happened.I watch it one time, and I'm as sure as sure can be. I watch it again later, and I'm as confused as marty watching Green Bay versus New England.

This is where I am, essentially. All joking aside, it is a tough call and, as Pete correctly points out, it is only my fanaticism that tells me it's a clear foul. Sports at the highest levels is often a matter of how to get away with playing slightly outside the letter of the rules in a way that makes a call very difficult. Pearson achieves that here. I don't blame the ref for missing it (if he actually did), I don't blame Pearson for trying to do whatever to win, and I don't blame Wright for succumbing. It was a perfect storm. Fukk!
Post #: 241
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/2/2016 9:31:57 AM   
Bill Jandro

Dan, now they've hijacked your thread into "The Push Off" topic

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 242
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/2/2016 1:57:47 PM   
Todd M

quote:

If you view that play now and apply today's rules and officiating, of course you think a foul occurred.

Not this cat.

Probably the best angles you're going to get from this game are from Roger Staubach's A Football life.

Two reasonably clear shots from both angles. Angle 1 from the 50 second mark. Angle 2 from the 1:15 mark.

Take em both in frame by frame and see the truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saA95EH05jc

Waking up.
Post #: 243
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/2/2016 1:59:44 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Dan, now they've hijacked your thread into "The Push Off" topic

yeah, best thread ever
Post #: 244
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/2/2016 2:07:37 PM   
Todd M

The mods have tools where they can weed out the non story parts of this thread, relax.

Waking up.
Post #: 245
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/2/2016 2:09:08 PM   
Todd M

quote:

If you view that play now and apply today's rules and officiating, of course you think a foul occurred.

Today's rules where they let everything, like Tate's fail mary major push off go?

Waking up.
Post #: 246
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/2/2016 3:02:18 PM   
Lynn G.

quote:

The mods have tools where they can weed out the non story parts of this thread, relax.

Yeah, like we have that kind of time.

What's up with that bootheel, Missouri?
Post #: 247
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/2/2016 3:04:21 PM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

Yeah, like we have that kind of time.

5 minutes.

Waking up.
Post #: 248
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/2/2016 3:08:06 PM   
Todd M

I had gone through fairly quickly and cut each story out and saved it in a notebook...then I realized I would be the original poster on each post so I scrapped it.

I doubt anyone would take offense if this thread was cleaned up and only left with original stories. 5 minutes.

All told in 9 years years that would make what, 10 minutes of actual moderating?

Waking up.
Post #: 249
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 2/2/2016 5:53:43 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

Not this cat.

Probably the best angles you're going to get from this game are from Roger Staubach's A Football life.

Two reasonably clear shots from both angles. Angle 1 from the 50 second mark. Angle 2 from the 1:15 mark.

Take em both in frame by frame and see the truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saA95EH05jc

Don't do Cowpuke shit.

I'm sure it's not slanted in favor of the Conboys.
Post #: 250
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Just Out Of Curiosity Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode