Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Just Out Of Curiosity

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Just Out Of Curiosity Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/15/2016 6:57:05 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Today is the first time I've heard of Mel Jazz

I didn't even know how to spell it, it's Mel Jass.

Here

Although someone claiming to be his step grandson didn't seem to be too enamored with him.

I'm still an idiot (non-negotiable). I still have no clue who that is

I remember the Mel Jass Matinee movie coming on after Lunch with Casey Jones and his side kick Roundhouse Rodney. If I remember right, old Mel like to have a few bumps and was at times a bit tipsy while on the air. LOL
Post #: 101
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/15/2016 7:25:10 PM   
Chris Olson

Thanks Dan for this thread!

I’m 46 and grew up in Watertown SD…less than 4hrs straight west of the Cities on 212

Early memories are of kid pics with Viking helmet, jersey and even football pants…

Earliest specific Viking memory was the Oakland SB…I didn’t understand it, but what was supposed to be a holiday gathering at my uncle’s turned into a truly morbid weekend…

I loved games at The Met…I remember being completely bundled up in snow gear and there was snow in the stands…that was so cool to me!

My dad had a sporting goods store that outfitted local high school teams, so he used season tix as a way to treat some of his buyers well…we went to at least one game each year as a family…now I see what a treat that was…

I have vague memory of the Push off…The hail mary…my memory is more blatant than the videos I have seen recently…but I still think Pearson extended his arm and it at least coulda been called grrrr…

I remember Hail mary 2 better, and beating Cleveland that way felt pretty good at the time, but the elation was not equal to the disappointment of the Cowboy loss…

I also remember cursing our pastor as he ran long with his sermons, and then racing home, listening to the first drive on the radio before being able to watch the rest on tv

I think part of my indifference to hunting comes from the frustration of relegating a Sunday afternoon to the Vikings on the radio while driving to some random cornfield to walk for pheasants…just seemed like we could have waited till 3 pm, AFTER the game…

I got to go to the first Viking game in the dome (albeit preseason)…cool to me at the time

The 86 bears game was a highlight memory for me. My dad let 17 yr old me and 5 other high school friends take the store van to see the game unchaperoned (who would allow this? He must have been truly naïve...ha!). But beating the SB champion Bears, with thousands of fans in Jim McMahon style sunglasses and Vikings headbands was hysterical and immensely satisfying!

Went to a replacement players game and remember some players hassling us at the picket line…don’t remember who it was, he slapped my dad’s back as we went by, but stuck some sticker on his back…as a 18 yr old, in and adversarial relationship with his father, I thought it was quite hilarious

Then music took over and I drifted away from the vikes…moved to Lincoln for college in 90 and the Huskers took over, hardly any Viking news…

moved to LA and the 98 season re-kindled my interest…holy crap! This team is going to easily win the SB…how does Anderson miss that FG? Just incomprehensible end to that season and re-shattered my re-acquaintance with the team…

but Randy Moss was too amazing not to watch…

then the Moss trade…and I NEEDED to find out what the Viking fans were thinking…that’s when I found the strib boards…funny to me because I had been a little too hardcore following the Huskers on message boards, coaching searches and recruiting…so it seemed a no brainer there would be some good community for Vikings fans…but “bigger” boards, like espn and rube chat had too many insincere jackasses spewing profanities and namecalling…the strib felt like a family and I have never left, despite a couple periods of purposeful avoidance after heartbreak…

So while I post less these days, I love reading everyone’s perspective and will continue to hash through all the draft and FA possibilities…

A big thank you to all my Viking family!!!
Post #: 102
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/16/2016 5:03:00 AM   
Thomas O. Eliason

quote:

The same summer that Star Wars came out, I got a Vikings helmet from my Grandma (I was almost 4) and one of those electric football games with the pieces that you can turn the base and they vibrate around.

My electric football game was Vikings-Chiefs.

I was always the Vikings. It could come down to fisticuffs if necessary.

I was the Vikings. Period.

PPE II baby
Post #: 103
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/16/2016 5:04:10 AM   
Thomas O. Eliason

GF34:
quote:

He said Grant showed the utmost respect for players who played hard.

Translation: he was a real coach.

PPE II baby
Post #: 104
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/16/2016 5:15:44 AM  1 votes
Thomas O. Eliason

Okay, one more story.

Rex and I grew up together as kids through adolescence. We did almost everything two goofball male kids would do. But the bulk of our time was spent hurling objects at one another and catching them whenever appropriate.

Somewhere along the way, we started making model rockets. We probably made close to 100 different rockets. I can (now) tell you whether a rocket will work just by looking at it. N need to test-fire... I know damn well, what it's going to do.

But that's a tangent. Here's the point:

We named every single one of our rockets after Viking players. We had a Reggie Rutland (small, quick design). We had a Joey Browner(must have broken and been repaired 15 or 20 times!), a Jake Reed. a Herschel Walker (that rocket flew like shit LOL), a Keith Millard (!) Well you get the idea.

Kind of goofy looking back, but that's what happened.

PPE II baby
Post #: 105
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/16/2016 6:28:12 AM   
SoMnFan

Back in the early '70s we hicks in the sticks couldn't afford those fancy sno-blower thingies.
So the snow that fell around the farmyard was bucked up into large piles with a tractor and loader attachment.
Inconvenient for most things ... but outstanding, if you were a pre-teen male looking for adventure.
My nightly routine was finishing my after-school chores, dressing up in my long underwear, covered up by my Christmas presented shoulder pads, football pants, Viking jersey, and Viking helmet.
My siblings were all older and off into the world, the nearest friends were miles away.
So I'd spend hour after hour, imagining those snow piles were, of course, NFL defenses. And I of course was Bill Brown, Dave Osborn, Clinton Jones, or Chuck Foreman.
Hour after hour, hurdling up and into and over the piles. Never remember being cold, or miserable, or whining. Would just line up and get ready to dive for the next needed first down.
I'm proud to report the Vikings never lost any of those nightly battles.
In the Fall before the snow fell, it was my best Fran impression, in our yard full of trees (wide receivers). Hour after hour, calling signals, rolling out, escaping the rush, firing on the run to the farthest open hackberry or oak.
I know, I know, today, they'd either lock me up, or medicate me heavily. Back then, it was called using your imagination, son.
Post #: 106
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/16/2016 6:52:45 AM   
Thomas O. Eliason

Silly person !

PPE II baby
Post #: 107
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/16/2016 8:06:49 AM   
eagleflorida

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Back in the early '70s we hicks in the sticks couldn't afford those fancy sno-blower thingies.
So the snow that fell around the farmyard was bucked up into large piles with a tractor and loader attachment.
Inconvenient for most things ... but outstanding, if you were a pre-teen male looking for adventure.
My nightly routine was finishing my after-school chores, dressing up in my long underwear, covered up by my Christmas presented shoulder pads, football pants, Viking jersey, and Viking helmet.
My siblings were all older and off into the world, the nearest friends were miles away.
So I'd spend hour after hour, imagining those snow piles were, of course, NFL defenses. And I of course was Bill Brown, Dave Osborn, Clinton Jones, or Chuck Foreman.
Hour after hour, hurdling up and into and over the piles. Never remember being cold, or miserable, or whining. Would just line up and get ready to dive for the next needed first down.
In the Fall before the snow fell, it was my best Fran impression, in our yard full of trees (wide receivers). Hour after hour, calling signals, rolling out, escaping the rush, firing on the run to the farthest open hackberry or oak.
I know, I know, today, they'd either lock me up, or medicate me heavily. Back then, it was called using your imagination, son.

Umm....you sure those farmyard piles of snow you bucked up and ran over and through were comprised solely of snow and not some other farmyard materials?

J/K SoMnFan. Great story. Amazing what innovative kids can do to amuse themselves in some circumstances. Good for you.
Post #: 108
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/16/2016 8:50:46 AM  1 votes
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thomas O. Eliason

quote:

The same summer that Star Wars came out, I got a Vikings helmet from my Grandma (I was almost 4) and one of those electric football games with the pieces that you can turn the base and they vibrate around.

I loved electric football. I wish they had figured out a better way to throw passes.

My 4-3-3-1 bunch play was my best offensive(running) play. Had the guy(usually Foreman) with the ball in middle of the back 3. The 1 guy behind him to push him straight.

I was the Vikings. My brother the Steelers.
Post #: 109
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/16/2016 9:02:52 AM   
Yards? Trees?
Well we had some trees in Brooklyn but you couldn't fit a doghouse in one of our backyards let alone grow grass.

We played "sewer to sewer" in the street.
Sounds disgusting but basically the field was the length of the street between two manhole covers which were the goal lines.
Cars parked on both sides of the one way street were in bounds. Sidewalks were out.
You could throw an out between 2 parked cars if your receiver could fit. It was indefensible.
Usually a game of 3 on 3 or if we had an odd number someone was the "official quarterback".
Two hand touch mostly. Our mothers had a fit if we played tackle in the street but we did once in a while.
Stitches. Sprains. Raspberries. Those were the days.

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 110
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/16/2016 9:06:09 AM   
Oh and you had to count 5 Mississippis before you could rush the passer.

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 111
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/16/2016 10:55:02 PM   
Chris Olson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art

Oh and you had to count 5 Mississippis before you could rush the passer.

lol

it was always mississippi's...though I remember at some point 5 bananas was tried...

just didn't have the same feel

funny though how most of our "football games" deteriorated into "smear the queer" or "kill the guy with the ball"
Post #: 112
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/16/2016 11:54:03 PM  1 votes
Todd M

We called it kill the carrier.

One recess when all the cool kids with an actual football were playing it I turned to my one friend and said - we don't need a football, let's just use your inhaler as the ball. Mussed around for a bit...I had a shot at it and when I was tackled I thought it would be a great idea to show off my big arm and threw that sucker into the sky...

...and it majestically landed on one of the more popular kids in school's head and cracked it open real nice like.

The new game, which seemed to be popular for a while was - get Mallett.

Waking up.
Post #: 113
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/17/2016 8:18:35 AM   
Duane Sampson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

I loved electric football. I wish they had figured out a better way to throw passes.

Had many arguments about whether or not the little felt "ball" hit the receiver or not.

Any of you ever play Mattel Talking Football with the little records? Offense on one side and defense on the other? We used to have an entire league when I was in Jr. High.

Post #: 114
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/17/2016 8:25:14 AM  1 votes
Duane Sampson

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

I lived on a farm for a few years in my youth. I remember playing solo in the winter time, certain trees were receivers and other trees were defense. I was Fran, I'd throw snow balls at incredible angles while desperately running for my life from imaginary lineman.

If I hit the intended tree, it was a 1st down or maybe a TD. If I hit the wrong one, interception or, of course, a penalty.
Post #: 115
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/17/2016 8:36:02 AM   
Duane Sampson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art

Yards? Trees?
Well we had some trees in Brooklyn but you couldn't fit a doghouse in one of our backyards let alone grow grass.

We played "sewer to sewer" in the street.
Sounds disgusting but basically the field was the length of the street between two manhole covers which were the goal lines.
Cars parked on both sides of the one way street were in bounds. Sidewalks were out.
You could throw an out between 2 parked cars if your receiver could fit. It was indefensible.
Usually a game of 3 on 3 or if we had an odd number someone was the "official quarterback".
Two hand touch mostly. Our mothers had a fit if we played tackle in the street but we did once in a while.
Stitches. Sprains. Raspberries. Those were the days.

Played a lot of street ball in my early teens. I remember hitting the neighbor's cars once in a while and if a car came down the street in the middle of a play, there was an argument if the play counted or not.

Mostly we played at a local grade school field. There was a cinder track for one end zone and a sidewalk on the other side we used for an end zone. I tell you what, you got hit in those end zones mercilessly.

I hated the cinders more than the concrete. But I was usually QB and we had four plays to go the entire field and score (no punts) so I rarely was a target for cinder splatter. But I was also the KO return guy and I had a few "house" events that led to getting creamed in the end zone.

We had enough guys to go 8 on 8 or 10 on 10 always so no counting for QB rush. I also remember we always had the same teams, 1st avenue against 3rd avenue. We always split like that for all sports. Good rivalry.
Post #: 116
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/17/2016 8:39:00 AM   
kurt bilben

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thomas O. Eliason

quote:

My 4-3-3-1 bunch play was my best offensive(running) play. Had the guy(usually Foreman) with the ball in middle of the back 3. The 1 guy behind him to push him straight.

I was the Vikings. My brother the Steelers.

"Electronic Football"

The pieces that just went around, and around in circles.

Had to keep fixing the little spikes on the bottom to get them to go straight...(If it's the same "Electronic Football" that you're talking about?)

The loud buzz sound.

Or the half melted player we just called Guh....He was the best player on the field..
Post #: 117
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/17/2016 9:00:27 AM   
Duane Sampson

Post #: 118
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/17/2016 9:09:53 AM   
Duane Sampson

I also remember my first "computerized" game.

You each slid a play card into the slot and slid the play lever to reveal the play's outcome.
Post #: 119
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/17/2016 10:04:14 AM   
Duane Sampson

Okay, here's the ultimate.

This game was sold in the mid 60's early 70's as an electric football game.

Using a set of see-through overlay cards, opposing players called a series of plays, 12 on offense and 6 on defense. To see if their play calling efforts were successful, the magic of electricity took over, as a small light bulb illuminated the results, assisted by the handy “Foto-Electric Football Chart” and a set of three dice.

The electric part was just a light bulb in the cardboard case. I think my sister even snagged my bulb for her frickin' Easy Bake Oven once.

I probably logged a thousand hours playing this. Add Strat-O-Matic and Super Toe, who the hell needed Madden XBox?
Post #: 120
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/17/2016 10:06:24 AM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Duane Sampson

quote:

Had many arguments about whether or not the little felt "ball" hit the receiver or not.

Any of you ever play Mattel Talking Football with the little records? Offense on one side and defense on the other? We used to have an entire league when I was in Jr. High.

You must be around my age, Duane! I had that game, and I loved it! I tried playing the recordings on my little turntable, but it didn't work. I also had one of the vibrating electric football games, but my two teams were the Vikes and the raiders. No digital games for the Foerster kids, our stuff was pure analog!
Post #: 121
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/17/2016 11:55:30 AM   
Justin Sampson

quote:

Double Nickels here.

I first noticed football in '69. I think the first game I ever watched was a Jets game.

I remember the Chiefs were on TV all the time but I caught a few Vikings games and was drawn to them. I was only 9 years old but for whatever reason, I became a Vikings fan and a Bear hater early on. Maybe I liked the Vikings because they were so disliked (because of their success) around here. Early rebel.....

I remember riding the school bus and a bunch of us would trade football cards. I used to throw the Butkus and Douglas cards out the window.

I don't remember much about the KC Super Bowl but I was glued to the next 3 Super Bowls. The Hail Mary game is still the worst day of my life though, worse than the SB losses. That was easily the best team I ever saw.

Over the years, I recall loving the division games because most of them were televised locally and we pretty much always won until the 90's. I used to drive 40-50 miles in the 80's to pick up the AM signal. Direct TV is one of the best things to happen at my house ever!!

My stepmom's dad is born and raised in Minny so we had a lot of conversations when I was young.

I have a lot of friends that are GB and Bears fans but the really ice cool people I know root for the Vikes.

I'm 34. I was born and bred purple because of this guy quoted above.

2 year old me already sporting the purple.

Me around 5 years old (1986) sporting a Tommy Kramer jersey on Halloween.

I really was old enough to start following around 1988. When Anthony Carter went nuts in the playoffs against the Saints and 49ers, he became my favorite player in the NFL (Along with Bo Jackson, of course).

I literally own about 40 Vikings jerseys and haven't missed a snap of Vikings football in about 20 years now.
Post #: 122
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/17/2016 12:01:16 PM   
Ricky J

I had a Joe Kapp t-shirt. I loved that guy.

I remember going out in the back yard to play a lot when I was a boy at half time.
Post #: 123
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/17/2016 2:44:48 PM   
Bill Johanesen

As a kid, watched this cool team lose something called a 'Super Bowl' against KC. Fan ever since. Used to pray for success for victories, drives, and even plays.

Favorites in other sports a distant second.
Post #: 124
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/17/2016 3:21:48 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

I also remember my first "computerized" game.

You each slid a play card into the slot and slid the play lever to reveal the play's outcome.

I had that one too.
Post #: 125
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Just Out Of Curiosity Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode