Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Just Out Of Curiosity

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Just Out Of Curiosity Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/17/2016 4:09:22 PM   
Thomas O. Eliason

Sammy:
quote:

Super Toe

Now that sounds like a great game !

PPE II baby
Post #: 126
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/17/2016 8:01:48 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Duane Sampson

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Back in the early '70s we hicks in the sticks couldn't afford those fancy sno-blower thingies.
So the snow that fell around the farmyard was bucked up into large piles with a tractor and loader attachment.
Inconvenient for most things ... but outstanding, if you were a pre-teen male looking for adventure.
My nightly routine was finishing my after-school chores, dressing up in my long underwear, covered up by my Christmas presented shoulder pads, football pants, Viking jersey, and Viking helmet.
My siblings were all older and off into the world, the nearest friends were miles away.
So I'd spend hour after hour, imagining those snow piles were, of course, NFL defenses. And I of course was Bill Brown, Dave Osborn, Clinton Jones, or Chuck Foreman.
Hour after hour, hurdling up and into and over the piles. Never remember being cold, or miserable, or whining. Would just line up and get ready to dive for the next needed first down.
I'm proud to report the Vikings never lost any of those nightly battles.
In the Fall before the snow fell, it was my best Fran impression, in our yard full of trees (wide receivers). Hour after hour, calling signals, rolling out, escaping the rush, firing on the run to the farthest open hackberry or oak.
I know, I know, today, they'd either lock me up, or medicate me heavily. Back then, it was called using your imagination, son.

I lived on a farm for a few years in my youth. I remember playing solo in the winter time, certain trees were receivers and other trees were defense. I was Fran, I'd throw snow balls at incredible angles while desperately running for my life from imaginary lineman.

If I hit the intended tree, it was a 1st down or maybe a TD. If I hit the wrong one, interception or, of course, a penalty.

Ok, so we were WEIRD brothers from different mothers.

Thanks for making me feel closer to "normal."
Post #: 127
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/17/2016 8:05:17 PM   
SoMnFan

Had/played every one of those games.
Thought it'd never get better than that.
Complain constantly about the generations now being addicted to video games, hey, we had our run as well.

I'm still known (to my familys older generation) as the little whiner who wouldn't stop begging for everyone to play these games with him.

Loved hearing about the felt football arguments.
Hilarious how once in awhile your kicker would "get ahold" of one and damn near kill the family cat, seven stadium lengths away.
Not sure how you'd explain that in real life.
Post #: 128
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/17/2016 9:58:23 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

These are amazing guys and gals! My favorite thread ever! I'll give you my lame story (in comparison to some of these amazing ones) when I have time to type out some paragraphs.
Post #: 129
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/17/2016 11:04:35 PM  1 votes
Chris Olson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

These are amazing guys and gals! My favorite thread ever! I'll give you my lame story (in comparison to some of these amazing ones) when I have time to type out some paragraphs.

please do and can't wait...

everyone of these stories is precious!

every one strikes a chord

and the sound is something like

BAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Post #: 130
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/17/2016 11:35:55 PM  1 votes
bgdavis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thomas O. Eliason

Sammy:
quote:

Super Toe

Now that sounds like a great game !

Wow that brings back memories! I had a Super Toe back in the late '70s. For those who may not be familiar with it, here's a pic I found:

By slapping down on the helmet, it caused the figure's leg to swing, launching the plastic football (which was flat on the ends to allow it stand up for the kicks). The game set came with a small goal post assembly that stood a couple feet tall. There was also a measuring tape for yardage and a cardboard spinner to indicate how far the next player had to kick from.

The accuracy of it was pretty good once you figured out what to do, but uneven "footing" on thick shag carpet could cause some accuracy problems. I was able to make kicks from well beyond the tape length from across the basement, and the only thing that prevented longer kicks was usually the ceiling height. The kicker was pretty rugged, and it never broke despite slamming it really hard many, many times.

IIRC, we sold it at a garage sale in the '80s. Now I wish I'd kept it, since it would have been cool to pass down to my kids instead.

Heimdall kept the “ringing” horn, Gjallarhorn, which could be heard throughout heaven, earth, and the lower world; he would sound the horn to summon the gods when their enemies drew near.
(Norse mythology)
Post #: 131
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/18/2016 12:01:24 AM   
bgdavis

While we're on the topic of games, the one I played for many, many hours was this:

The Mattel Electronics Football debuted in 1977, and I got one for Christmas that year. The players were just small red LED lights that lit up on a grid 3 rows high by 9 columns wide:

There were some LED digits at the top, but only 2 digits for the score. It wasn't too hard to break 100, but if you did, the top digit wasn't shown. The game always controlled the defense, but a 2 player mode was available where you could swap offensive possessions with another person.

The user controlled the offense which was just 1 light representing the ball carrier (there was no passing). Running was achieved by pressing the arrow keys to move and try to avoid the defenders. The AI was pretty simple and somewhat slow to react, so it was easy to make quick up/down movements that would fool it into opening lanes to allow really long runs. I remember draining lots and lots of 9-volt batteries while playing it. Several friends in elementary school had it too, and we often brought them and played during recess. I was reigning champ, often going undefeated in our game days at school.

In 2000, they re-released a new version of this classic game. I think I still have my original version tucked away in a box somewhere.

Heimdall kept the “ringing” horn, Gjallarhorn, which could be heard throughout heaven, earth, and the lower world; he would sound the horn to summon the gods when their enemies drew near.
(Norse mythology)
Post #: 132
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/18/2016 12:32:42 AM   
SoMnFan

Oh god yeah.
Wore that thing out.
My parents had to HATE that noise.
Post #: 133
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/18/2016 12:39:26 AM  1 votes
SoMnFan

And Super Toe was one of the toughest built toys, ever .... that dude was INDESTRUCTIBLE.
Lets just say we used it to kick more than just square-ended plastic footballs.
Post #: 134
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/18/2016 12:47:48 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: bgdavis

While we're on the topic of games, the one I played for many, many hours was this:

The Mattel Electronics Football debuted in 1977, and I got one for Christmas that year. The players were just small red LED lights that lit up on a grid 3 rows high by 9 columns wide:

There were some LED digits at the top, but only 2 digits for the score. It wasn't too hard to break 100, but if you did, the top digit wasn't shown. The game always controlled the defense, but a 2 player mode was available where you could swap offensive possessions with another person.

The user controlled the offense which was just 1 light representing the ball carrier (there was no passing). Running was achieved by pressing the arrow keys to move and try to avoid the defenders. The AI was pretty simple and somewhat slow to react, so it was easy to make quick up/down movements that would fool it into opening lanes to allow really long runs. I remember draining lots and lots of 9-volt batteries while playing it. Several friends in elementary school had it too, and we often brought them and played during recess. I was reigning champ, often going undefeated in our game days at school.

In 2000, they re-released a new version of this classic game. I think I still have my original version tucked away in a box somewhere.

Hours of that. Got so good that one strategy was the stall... get the ball first and run out the quarter or half with a single drive.

Pro football II had passing, and it was harder cause the defenders moved quicker.
Post #: 135
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/18/2016 1:03:45 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: DeLain

quote:

47 came out purple. Moved away from Minny in 1989. Joined the Strib for more Viking info since I lived in other states in the mid 90s. It would be nice to know the date I joined the strib. Gosh that was a long time ago.

We only had 4 channels growing up. And the choices of things to watch was very limited. But Sundays were always the best day since it had the Vikings at noon and the wonderful world of Disney that night.
Gosh when it was an Olympics year it was like Christmas for 2 weeks.

Anyways, my first Viking memories that really stand out were the Ahmad Rashad years. He will always be one of my favorite Vikings ever, since he was the first. The 13 minute mark on this link will be forever etched into my brain.

The Miracle at the Met 1980
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5sM_HF_9c8

When I moved to Kansas I used to get the VikingUpdate in paper copy. I really anticipated getting that every week.

This Viking helmet that my brothers wore in the 60s and I wore in the 70s is my most prized possession.

Thumbnail Image

P.S. I love the bread bag references.

Bob Lurtsema's Viking update

I had that shipped to me in Laguna Hills as well.

Nothing like a three page article on guard Terry Tausch....

Laguna Hills... my grandparents lived in Leisure World. In the 1930s or some time early, of his brothers bought 150 acres in what is now Irvine. He got tired of paying taxes and donated it all to a church
Post #: 136
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/18/2016 7:56:27 AM   
eagleflorida

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

I had a Joe Kapp t-shirt. I loved that guy.

I remember going out in the back yard to play a lot when I was a boy at half time.

My Joe Kapp story:

In the late 60's I was stationed at the Naval Air Station in the Twin Cities on north side of the airport. Got to see the majority of the home Vikes games as my good friend had 4 season tickets. Enjoyed many a great game. After the home games, we headed to the Embassy restaurant located in the river bottom off I35 in Bloomington which it turned out was the Viking team hangout postgame. Joe Kapp used to hold court in the bar area with his coffee cup of tequila providing stand-up comedy and singing lessons to all. He was a horrible singer. The dance floor was always crowded with all the Vikes and their significant others and it was great sharing the dance floor with that bunch. Not sure if the Embassy is even still there.
Post #: 137
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/18/2016 8:19:15 AM   
Duane Sampson

Here was our idea of fantasy football in the 60's

This game came with 50 Topps cards and you tried to draft the best team. It was better to use your own cards because a lot of the player cards were lamers.

I really remember trying to draft my favorite players, not the best ones.

Post #: 138
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/18/2016 8:20:25 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: eagleflorida

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

I had a Joe Kapp t-shirt. I loved that guy.

I remember going out in the back yard to play a lot when I was a boy at half time.

My Joe Kapp story:

In the late 60's I was stationed at the Naval Air Station in the Twin Cities on north side of the airport. Got to see the majority of the home Vikes games as my good friend had 4 season tickets. Enjoyed many a great game. After the home games, we headed to the Embassy restaurant located in the river bottom off I35 in Bloomington which it turned out was the Viking team hangout postgame. Joe Kapp used to hold court in the bar area with his coffee cup of tequila providing stand-up comedy and singing lessons to all. He was a horrible singer. The dance floor was always crowded with all the Vikes and their significant others and it was great sharing the dance floor with that bunch. Not sure if the Embassy is even still there.

Cool story
Post #: 139
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/18/2016 8:50:44 AM   
Duane Sampson

quote:

And Super Toe was one of the toughest built toys, ever .... that dude was INDESTRUCTIBLE.
Lets just say we used it to kick more than just square-ended plastic footballs.

And piss on the spinner and the yard line plastic mat! We used to haul Super Toe and the goal post all over the house and try for full room kicks and Tom Dempsey all-time records. Only the ceiling or a lampshade could stop us.

And god if you took ST off the carpet and set him on a wood floor (or even better, outside on the sidewalk) look out!!
Post #: 140
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/18/2016 9:04:22 AM   
Duane Sampson

quote:

Ok, so we were WEIRD brothers from different mothers.

Thanks for making me feel closer to "normal."

Now tell me your first "jersey" was a purple T with white striped sleeves, the words VIKINGS on it and it came from a Sears Christmas catalog.
Post #: 141
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/18/2016 9:06:03 AM   
Duane Sampson

quote:

Oh god yeah.
Wore that thing out.
My parents had to HATE that noise.

I actually had Super Touch also.

Post #: 142
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/18/2016 9:23:04 AM   
kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

47 came out purple. Moved away from Minny in 1989. Joined the Strib for more Viking info since I lived in other states in the mid 90s. It would be nice to know the date I joined the strib. Gosh that was a long time ago.

We only had 4 channels growing up. And the choices of things to watch was very limited. But Sundays were always the best day since it had the Vikings at noon and the wonderful world of Disney that night.
Gosh when it was an Olympics year it was like Christmas for 2 weeks.

Anyways, my first Viking memories that really stand out were the Ahmad Rashad years. He will always be one of my favorite Vikings ever, since he was the first. The 13 minute mark on this link will be forever etched into my brain.

The Miracle at the Met 1980
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5sM_HF_9c8

When I moved to Kansas I used to get the VikingUpdate in paper copy. I really anticipated getting that every week.

This Viking helmet that my brothers wore in the 60s and I wore in the 70s is my most prized possession.

Thumbnail Image

P.S. I love the bread bag references.

Laguna Hills... my grandparents lived in Leisure World. In the 1930s or some time early, of his brothers bought 150 acres in what is now Irvine. He got tired of paying taxes and donated it all to a church

150 acres in Irvine that were donated? You could've picked us all up in your Jet stream for the games Bill.

Seizure World probably leads the world in traffic accidents...
Post #: 143
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/18/2016 9:32:41 AM   
Duane Sampson

quote:

I remember getting Viking Update before it was Bob Lurtsema's. For some reason I STILL subscribe.

When I was a kid I got the Sporting News in the mail weekly. I couldn't wait for the little paragraph about the Vikings' news. Pretty much all I read in the thing.
Post #: 144
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/18/2016 9:44:25 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

Okay, here's the ultimate.

This game was sold in the mid 60's early 70's as an electric football game.

Using a set of see-through overlay cards, opposing players called a series of plays, 12 on offense and 6 on defense. To see if their play calling efforts were successful, the magic of electricity took over, as a small light bulb illuminated the results, assisted by the handy “Foto-Electric Football Chart” and a set of three dice.

The electric part was just a light bulb in the cardboard case. I think my sister even snagged my bulb for her frickin' Easy Bake Oven once.

I probably logged a thousand hours playing this. Add Strat-O-Matic and Super Toe, who the hell needed Madden XBox?

I may still have that one. Great game.

"Here comes Diggins"!
Post #: 145
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/18/2016 10:03:27 AM   
kurt bilben

quote:

quote:

I remember getting Viking Update before it was Bob Lurtsema's. For some reason I STILL subscribe.

When I was a kid I got the Sporting News in the mail weekly. I couldn't wait for the little paragraph about the Vikings' news. Pretty much all I read in the thing.

Yep, wait all week for a three sentence blurb on Buster Rhymes tweaking his ankle (Not to mention he was a tweaker)

You remember a newspaper called "The National"? They took it to another level as far as coverage. Of course it went outta business pretty quick.
Post #: 146
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/18/2016 10:03:52 AM   
Justin Sampson

This was the 80's version of all those football games...

AFC always beat NFC it seemed.
Post #: 147
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/18/2016 10:04:58 AM   
kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: bgdavis

Hours of that. Got so good that one strategy was the stall... get the ball first and run out the quarter or half with a single drive.

Pro football II had passing, and it was harder cause the defenders moved quicker.

I think we tried playing this during class in HS. Those freakin little whistle sounds were giving it away...
Post #: 148
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/18/2016 10:13:10 AM   
Duane Sampson

quote:

You remember a newspaper called "The National"? They took it to another level as far as coverage. Of course it went outta business pretty quick.

Nope.

But I remember when we actually marked the checklists when we went through a pack of cards. And chewed the powdered covered rock hard gum rectangle.
Post #: 149
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity - 1/18/2016 10:13:31 AM   
Duane Sampson

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Just Out Of Curiosity Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode