Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2017 Free Agency

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2017 Free Agency Page: <<   < prev  129 130 [131] 132 133   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/12/2017 6:40:22 PM   
shakeywalton

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

POINT TWO ONE is a good buzz.

At that point I'm starting to feel something? Kind of like Legolas after about 80 pints of ale.

In my one and only DUI after 50+ years, I was a .16 and I knew I was guilty. Didn't want to be driving but circumstances led to it.

Since then I will NEVER drive after more than 2 beers.
Post #: 3251
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/12/2017 10:25:53 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: shakeywalton

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

POINT TWO ONE is a good buzz.

At that point I'm starting to feel something? Kind of like Legolas after about 80 pints of ale.

In my one and only DUI after 50+ years, I was a .16 and I knew I was guilty. Didn't want to be driving but circumstances led to it.

Since then I will NEVER drive after more than 2 beers.

I won't drive after more than one drink per hour. So If I'm at a party for 3 hours I can have three. If it's only one I can have only one.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3252
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/12/2017 11:40:46 PM   
David F.

An experienced drunk will have a different scale than a normal person. There was a time when .1 was like zero for me. I was measured at .29 six hours after the last drink I ever took. In between I was able to walk/talk/fill out paperwork/ etc.. with little to no problems.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 3253
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/13/2017 4:31:39 AM   
Thomas O. Eliason

I once passed a roadside test at .15. I know because I agreed to blow after they told me they wouldn't act on it and had already called me a cab.

A couple very cool St. Charles cops - just wanted to know how TF I passed every one of their tests when they knew damn well I was buzzing like a bee hive.

Homey can put away some beer.

PPE II baby
Post #: 3254
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/13/2017 7:16:14 AM   
Ricky J

I blew .3+ once. When the magistrate, a recovering alcoholic, let me out in the morning he said he was surprised I lived through the night - I wouldn't know, I don't remember a thing.

One of a million stories I'm not proud of but they're all mine just the same.
Post #: 3255
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/13/2017 7:34:55 AM   
Bruce Johnson

The signing of Michael Floyd speaks volumes about the Vikings confidence in Laquon Treadwell. As I say in politics, don't pay attention to what they say- pay attention to what they do. Actions speak louder than words.

Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. (Helen Keller)
Post #: 3256
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/13/2017 8:43:58 AM   
kurt bilben

https://youtu.be/aTY_r0DKihU

This is really the Michael Floyd I remember....

Kid was a beast.

Hopefully he can find some of this in Minnesota....
Post #: 3257
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/13/2017 9:14:48 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

Kid was a beast.

All Notre Dame highlights. Very good. About 3:15 he catches a pass reverses his field and runs behind the qb. On that play what ensues is the most pathetic fake attempt at a block I have ever seen.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3258
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/13/2017 10:05:27 AM   
Todd M

Based on what you know now, where (in which round) do you think Cordarrelle Patterson should have been drafted.?

Waking up.
Post #: 3259
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/13/2017 10:37:04 AM   
Bill Johanesen

So many variables....

Poor mans Devin Hester, who was drafted in the 2nd (not sure when in the round). Hester did his real damage as a PR which CPat doesn't do. Was Hester drafted too low? Too high? Second seems about right.

If it's assumed CPat received average NFL-level coaching, what is a superior KR and spot WR worth?

Mid 3rd to high 4th depending on how severe the teams needs are.
Post #: 3260
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/13/2017 11:16:11 AM   
Bill Jandro

I really think the KR guy has been devalued by the NFL rule change. Seems like 60-70% of KO's are out of the EZ or a kneel down.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3261
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/13/2017 11:36:21 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I really think the KR guy has been devalued by the NFL rule change. Seems like 60-70% of KO's are out of the EZ or a kneel down.

It has been. Only dangerous return guys really even return KOs now.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 3262
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/13/2017 8:46:36 PM  1 votes
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thomas O. Eliason

I once passed a roadside test at .15. I know because I agreed to blow after they told me they wouldn't act on it and had already called me a cab.

A couple very cool St. Charles cops - just wanted to know how TF I passed every one of their tests when they knew damn well I was buzzing like a bee hive.

I've enjoyed the stories gentlemen
Had Been thinking I have plenty of tales in this area ... was thinking I'd be in the top tier. (or would it be ... lowest tier )
Finding out there's a few more legends here than I thought.

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 5/13/2017 8:53:12 PM >
Post #: 3263
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/13/2017 11:12:45 PM  1 votes
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thomas O. Eliason

I've enjoyed the stories gentlemen
Had Been thinking I have plenty of tales in this area ... was thinking I'd be in the top tier. (or would it be ... lowest tier )
Finding out there's a few more legends here than I thought.

I concur. None of my alcohol stories involve cars.

But, I'm also glad we've all overcome these alcohol mishaps in our lives.

< Message edited by Ian Joseph -- 5/13/2017 11:54:27 PM >

Believe.
Post #: 3264
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/14/2017 5:21:17 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

Kid was a beast.

We can see why he was a first rounder. Looks like he is good going up for the ball and catching it high in the air. Even if he's lost a step, if he has a quarterback who can throw the ball where only the receiver can catch it, he could be a monster on the pro level. Well, I'm not sure that was his problem in Arizona. It's interesting that that team had two Minnesota born receivers.

Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. (Helen Keller)
Post #: 3265
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 6:36:10 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

Kid was a beast.

We can see why he was a first rounder. Looks like he is good going up for the ball and catching it high in the air. Even if he's lost a step, if he has a quarterback who can throw the ball where only the receiver can catch it, he could be a monster on the pro level. Well, I'm not sure that was his problem in Arizona. It's interesting that that team had two Minnesota born receivers.

I can't see how anyone can assume he has lost a step since the combine.

He is only 27 years old and entering his prime. Chances are better that he is even a little faster being he has been a pro for the last 4-5 years and can more or less work on his craft full time.

Post #: 3266
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 7:27:44 AM   
Todd M

I felt all along Floyd might be a target. Was interested.

On the fence right now. A guy sporting a Pats SB ring, after his contribution doesn't seem like a guy with humility. Which he needs right now. Plus some of the things he's said make him sound like an excuse maker not someone looking to take full ownership of his mistakes.

See what we end up with...the thing is - I like the younger guys we have - we'll likely lose one with this move.

Waking up.
Post #: 3267
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 9:16:04 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I felt all along Floyd might be a target. Was interested.

On the fence right now. A guy sporting a Pats SB ring, after his contribution doesn't seem like a guy with humility. Which he needs right now. Plus some of the things he's said make him sound like an excuse maker not someone looking to take full ownership of his mistakes.

See what we end up with...the thing is - I like the younger guys we have - we'll likely lose one with this move.

This is why I didn't want him. Without the specific examples you pointed out, a dude in his predicament needs to be first show that he's looking to change, not just talk about it or be taken at his word.

And for all of the unfair comparisons to Cris Carter, Carter's recovery was well documented, to the point where Cris talked about himself and his one day at a time mentality when he got here.

Michael Floyd isn't that guy. He's a talented football player a drinking problem, much like Justin Blackmon and Josh Gordon (among other substance abuse issues). I'm not a believer in Floyd until he proves to me I should be one.

I'm not sure he makes the final 53. And I'm serious when I say that.

Believe.
Post #: 3268
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 9:40:47 AM   
Phil Riewer

FYI....Blackmon and Gordon failed tests because of Marijuana not alcohol and received suspensions for their DUI's in addition to failing drug tests. I don't know what will happen with Floyd but as far I know he hasn't had any Marijuana type issues.

CC was cut Philly because he was into ecstasy, cocaine and marijuana plus alcohol---he would be a closer comparasion to Blackmon and Gordon.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 5/15/2017 9:47:20 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3269
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 10:31:38 AM   
Ian Joseph

It's substance abuse, period. The commonality is that all four people have/had a problem. And Michael Floyd is much closer to Justin Blackmon, who has a well documented history with alcohol (Why he's not in the league), and Josh Gordon than he is Cris Carter.

I'll go as far to say the only true thing he has in common with Cris Carter is that they were both acquired by the Vikings on the cheap. Split hairs about what all said parties are/were involved if you want to.

< Message edited by Ian Joseph -- 5/15/2017 10:32:42 AM >

Believe.
Post #: 3270
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 10:54:55 AM   
Burns

Should we be interested in this guy?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Chargers release Orlando Franklin

Posted by Mike Florio on May 15, 2017, 10:54 AM EDT

Getty Images

After spending a couple of draft picks on interior offensive linemen, the Chargers have decided to let a much more pricy veteran at the position go.

Per a league source, the Chargers have released guard Orlando Franklin. The move comes 17 days after they acquired guards Forrest Lamp and Dan Feeny in rounds two and three, respectively — and in the immediate aftermath of the Chargers getting a look at both players in rookie minicamp.

Franklin, after four years in Denver, signed a five-year, $36.5 million contract with the Chargers in 2015. He was due to make $6 million this year in L.A.

Of that total, $3.5 million is fully guaranteed. Given the offset obligation, the Chargers will get credit up to that amount based on what he receives elsewhere.

Franklin started all 16 games for the Chargers in 2016. Though he’s hitting the open market more than two months into the new league year, he likely will draw interest from multiple teams.

"They put his picture up and the f*****s booed him"

Warrior Sapper 12B Combat Engineer
Post #: 3271
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 10:58:50 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

It's substance abuse, period. The commonality is that all four people have/had a problem. And Michael Floyd is much closer to Justin Blackmon, who has a well documented history with alcohol (Why he's not in the league), and Josh Gordon than he is Cris Carter.

I'll go as far to say the only true thing he has in common with Cris Carter is that they were both acquired by the Vikings on the cheap. Split hairs about what all said parties are/were involved if you want to.

IMO, I don't think so ....

What I consider an alcoholic would have a much tougher time stopping drinking than someone who didn't stop smoking marijuana. Blackmon and Gordon fall into the just too stupid not to do it category, imo. That may be the case for Floyd as well but I don't know ...

Mentally it's not that hard to gear up to stop drinking for periods of time. I used to say, "I'm not drinking for 3 months." I used to do that all the time with dates of 3 months, a month even a year once but never did I consider making a lifetime change until it actually reached that point where I did.

I would have to assume the Vikings and Floyd have a deal where he is supposed to remain clean - and if he doesn't there will be another door for him.

Substance abuse is a tricky thing - when it's time and you get it you're gold, until then it's just a matter of time before the next drunk
Post #: 3272
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 11:01:40 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Burns

Getty Images

After spending a couple of draft picks on interior offensive linemen, the Chargers have decided to let a much more pricy veteran at the position go.

Per a league source, the Chargers have released guard Orlando Franklin. The move comes 17 days after they acquired guards Forrest Lamp and Dan Feeny in rounds two and three, respectively — and in the immediate aftermath of the Chargers getting a look at both players in rookie minicamp.

Franklin, after four years in Denver, signed a five-year, $36.5 million contract with the Chargers in 2015. He was due to make $6 million this year in L.A.

Of that total, $3.5 million is fully guaranteed. Given the offset obligation, the Chargers will get credit up to that amount based on what he receives elsewhere.

Franklin started all 16 games for the Chargers in 2016. Though he’s hitting the open market more than two months into the new league year, he likely will draw interest from multiple teams.

Two things.

1. The Chargers line was almost as atrocious as ours.
2. This guy got released over two unproven rookies.

I would be inclined to say no. How much can this guy help if he can't even get into a competition with two rookies for a spot on one of the worst Olines in the NFL?

I know we need Oline help ourselves, but that doesn't mean we take a flyer on every single guy that gets released.

In 2016, Clinton's underlying (and sometimes overlying) message was something like this: Trump is awful and you will never vote for him. And I am the only other person running for president.
Post #: 3273
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 11:12:07 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Getty Images

Two things.

I would be inclined to say no. How much can this guy help if he can't even get into a competition with two rookies for a spot on one of the worst Olines in the NFL?

I know we need Oline help ourselves, but that doesn't mean we take a flyer on every single guy that gets released.

I think it's more of a financial move by the Chargers vs he isn't that good.

Unsure of what kind of year he had last year but I'm sure he would be better than either rookie this season. but big picture wise they want to go with the rookies.

Post #: 3274
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 11:15:45 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Getty Images

Two things.

I think it's more of a financial move by the Chargers vs he isn't that good.

Unsure of what kind of year he had last year but I'm sure he would be better than either rookie this season. but big picture wise they want to go with the rookies.

Its both. He's expensive and awful. He was a major part of them having the worst O-Line in football in 2015 and the 2nd worst last year.

Franklin signed a five-year, $36.5 million contract in 2015. He lasted just two seasons with the Chargers. Cutting ties saves L.A. $2.8 million against the cap, per OverTheCap.com, while leaving $4.8 million in dead money. The Chargers owed Franklin $3.5 million guaranteed this season, but decided swallowing that pill was worth it to move forward with younger options.

The 29-year-old is coming off two of the worst seasons of his six-year career. Often pushed into the backfield, Franklin was part of an injury-ravaged, disappointing offensive line that left Philip Rivers battered and opened few holes in the ground game. Pro Football Focus rated Franklin their No. 66 guard last season out of 72 qualifying players. Despite the struggles, expect the veteran to find a home before training camps open.
Post #: 3275
Page:   <<   < prev  129 130 [131] 132 133   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2017 Free Agency Page: <<   < prev  129 130 [131] 132 133   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode