Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2017 Free Agency

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2017 Free Agency Page: <<   < prev  130 131 [132] 133 134   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 1:19:36 PM   
Burns

Makes you wonder what happens with some of these guys. Went from this:

Franklin signed a five-year, $36.5 million deal ($16.5 million guaranteed) with San Diego in the 2015 offseason. In Franklin’s final year in Denver, Pro Football Focus noted that he was one of three guards who allowed one or fewer sacks with 600-plus pass blocks.

To this:

Fast forward two seasons later, and Franklin became a liability in pass blocking.
He missed six games in 2015, and even though he started every game last season, he was beat up and played poorly, hence a 47.5 overall grade, the worst grade among Chargers’ linemen.

http://boltbeat.com/2017/05/15/los-angeles-chargers-cut-free-agent-bust-orlando-franklin/

As horrible as the Vikings line was last year, I wouldn't be afraid to look under every rock. Did he play injured last year? Maybe, I'm sure teams will be looking into it. Or, he just got lazy after a big fat contract.

< Message edited by Burns -- 5/15/2017 1:22:00 PM >

"They put his picture up and the f*****s booed him"

Warrior Sapper 12B Combat Engineer
Post #: 3276
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 1:21:30 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Burns

Franklin signed a five-year, $36.5 million deal ($16.5 million guaranteed) with San Diego in the 2015 offseason. In Franklin’s final year in Denver, Pro Football Focus noted that he was one of three guards who allowed one or fewer sacks with 600-plus pass blocks.

To this:

Fast forward two seasons later, and Franklin became a liability in pass blocking.
He missed six games in 2015, and even though he started every game last season, he was beat up and played poorly, hence a 47.5 overall grade, the worst grade among Chargers’ linemen.

http://boltbeat.com/2017/05/15/los-angeles-chargers-cut-free-agent-bust-orlando-franklin/

As horrible as the Vikings line was last year, I wouldn't be afraid to look under every rock. Did he play injured last year? Maybe, I'm sure teams will be looking into it.

Nice Research. I like him just for the name. Orlando Franklin just sounds like an O Lineman to me.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3277
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 1:45:12 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

To this:

As horrible as the Vikings line was last year, I wouldn't be afraid to look under every rock. Did he play injured last year? Maybe, I'm sure teams will be looking into it.

Nice Research. I like him just for the name. Orlando Franklin just sounds like an O Lineman to me.

Smells like a zone blocking scheme versus man blocking scheme to me...

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3278
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 2:41:09 PM   
David Levine

Vikings to sign guard Freddie Tagaloa after tryout at rookie camp
By Andrew Krammer MAY 15, 2017 — 1:16PM

The Vikings added another offensive lineman to the rebuilding project.

Freddie Tagaloa, a hulking 6-foot-8-inch guard, will sign a three-year contract after trying out during the Vikings rookie minicamp May 5-7, a league source told the Star Tribune. He’s currently the only player to sign a deal after a couple dozen undrafted rookies and veterans were brought in for a tryout earlier this month.

An infusion of new faces has greeted offensive line coach Tony Sparano this offseason during rebuilding efforts of last year’s tattered group. Tagaloa is the eighth new offensive lineman, a group which currently takes up 15 of the 90 offseason roster spots.

The Vikings will need to make a roster move to fit Tagaloa, who weighed 314 pounds during his last college season at Arizona.

Tagaloa transferred to the Wildcats from Cal and was required to sit out the 2014 season. He had an injury-plagued 2015 campaign, during which he reportedly tore his posterior lateral ligament and medial collateral ligament in the same season. Tagaloa began his college career as a left tackle before moving inside to guard.
Post #: 3279
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 2:42:51 PM   
David Levine

Bio:
Two-year starter who transferred to Arizona after two seasons at Cal. Spent his senior season at left guard after starting the first four games of his junior year at left tackle. Played both right and left tackles for the Bears in 2012 and 2013, making seven starts.

Pos:
Mammoth offensive lineman who looked like an NFL prospect prior to his knee injury. Strong, easily controls opponents at the point of attack or out-positions them from the action. Keeps his head on a swivel, works well with linemates and easily anchors in pass protection. Displays a good degree of quickness and fires into blocks.

Neg:
Struggles to adjust and cannot redirect to moving targets or pick up the blitz. Really doesn’t sink his butt at the line of scrimmage.

Analysis:
Tagaloa has NFL size and displayed next-level ability early in his college career before sustaining a serious knee injury. He’s a medical red flag who looked a fraction of his former self in 2016.
Post #: 3280
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 3:02:40 PM   
Trekgeekscott

Maybe we should sign the shitty veteran that was just released...

I mean, we're throwing shit at the wall now just to see what sticks.

In 2016, Clinton's underlying (and sometimes overlying) message was something like this: Trump is awful and you will never vote for him. And I am the only other person running for president.
Post #: 3281
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 3:48:40 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Freddie Tagaloa, a hulking 6-foot-8-inch guard, will sign a three-year contract after trying out during the Vikings rookie minicamp May 5-7, a league source told the Star Tribune. He’s currently the only player to sign a deal after a couple dozen undrafted rookies and veterans were brought in for a tryout earlier this month.

An infusion of new faces has greeted offensive line coach Tony Sparano this offseason during rebuilding efforts of last year’s tattered group. Tagaloa is the eighth new offensive lineman, a group which currently takes up 15 of the 90 offseason roster spots.

The Vikings will need to make a roster move to fit Tagaloa, who weighed 314 pounds during his last college season at Arizona.

Tagaloa transferred to the Wildcats from Cal and was required to sit out the 2014 season. He had an injury-plagued 2015 campaign, during which he reportedly tore his posterior lateral ligament and medial collateral ligament in the same season. Tagaloa began his college career as a left tackle before moving inside to guard.

Three year deal sounds somewhat serious. Is this guy likely to make the final 53?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3282
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 5:35:42 PM   
drviking

http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/nfl-players-on-the-2017-roster-bubble-632/

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 3283
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 6:29:20 PM   
Tim Cady

Jarius Wright the only Viking on the list. I thought he would have had trade value if he hadn't been hurt the whole 2016 pre-season. This was more of a head scratcher than the Blair Walsh extension.

Go the extra mile, it's never crowded!
Post #: 3284
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 6:50:02 PM   
Burns

Nice clip:

http://youtu.be/WOjt9Muu6x8

Post #: 3285
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 7:09:03 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

How can you have a problem with adding him to the 90 man roster?
Post #: 3286
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 8:14:23 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Three year deal sounds somewhat serious. Is this guy likely to make the final 53?

Probably not. If there isn't much guaranteed money, its not a real, concrete three year deal.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 3287
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 9:03:28 PM   
kurt bilben

quote:

Nice clip:

That first clip was both ugly, and awesome at the same time....

Barr will be just fine....
Post #: 3288
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/15/2017 9:35:13 PM   
Burns

In the YouTube clip he wasn't even in a 3 point stance and Bar throttled him. He looks like a heavy footed plodder to me.

They pulled him a lot in some of the clips I saw of him at Arizona, but it looked like he lunges and whiffs on blocks in space. He will get abused facing NFL players.

Will be interesting to see what they saw in him to offer a 3 year deal.

Post #: 3289
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 7:33:38 AM   
Tim Cady

That clip was him at left tackle. He appears to be a guard now.

Go the extra mile, it's never crowded!
Post #: 3290
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 8:22:35 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Should we be interested in this guy?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Chargers release Orlando Franklin

Posted by Mike Florio on May 15, 2017, 10:54 AM EDT

Getty Images

After spending a couple of draft picks on interior offensive linemen, the Chargers have decided to let a much more pricy veteran at the position go.

Per a league source, the Chargers have released guard Orlando Franklin. The move comes 17 days after they acquired guards Forrest Lamp and Dan Feeny in rounds two and three, respectively — and in the immediate aftermath of the Chargers getting a look at both players in rookie minicamp.

Franklin, after four years in Denver, signed a five-year, $36.5 million contract with the Chargers in 2015. He was due to make $6 million this year in L.A.

Of that total, $3.5 million is fully guaranteed. Given the offset obligation, the Chargers will get credit up to that amount based on what he receives elsewhere.

Franklin started all 16 games for the Chargers in 2016. Though he’s hitting the open market more than two months into the new league year, he likely will draw interest from multiple teams.

Two things.

1. The Chargers line was almost as atrocious as ours.
2. This guy got released over two unproven rookies.

I would be inclined to say no. How much can this guy help if he can't even get into a competition with two rookies for a spot on one of the worst Olines in the NFL?

I know we need Oline help ourselves, but that doesn't mean we take a flyer on every single guy that gets released.

I think it's more of a financial move by the Chargers vs he isn't that good.

Unsure of what kind of year he had last year but I'm sure he would be better than either rookie this season. but big picture wise they want to go with the rookies.

Its both. He's expensive and awful. He was a major part of them having the worst O-Line in football in 2015 and the 2nd worst last year.

Franklin signed a five-year, $36.5 million contract in 2015. He lasted just two seasons with the Chargers. Cutting ties saves L.A. $2.8 million against the cap, per OverTheCap.com, while leaving $4.8 million in dead money. The Chargers owed Franklin $3.5 million guaranteed this season, but decided swallowing that pill was worth it to move forward with younger options.

The 29-year-old is coming off two of the worst seasons of his six-year career. Often pushed into the backfield, Franklin was part of an injury-ravaged, disappointing offensive line that left Philip Rivers battered and opened few holes in the ground game. Pro Football Focus rated Franklin their No. 66 guard last season out of 72 qualifying players. Despite the struggles, expect the veteran to find a home before training camps open.

Wow, that is bad. Couple that with a big contract kind of a no brainer.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3291
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 8:28:47 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

Nice clip:

That first clip was both ugly, and awesome at the same time....

Barr will be just fine....

Looked eerily similar to a Clemmings blocking attempt

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3292
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 9:03:22 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

They can add me to the 90 man roster and get the same results.

In 2016, Clinton's underlying (and sometimes overlying) message was something like this: Trump is awful and you will never vote for him. And I am the only other person running for president.
Post #: 3293
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 9:05:15 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

You're right. Sucks to me in love with such a crappy team top to bottom
Post #: 3294
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 10:41:40 AM   
Burns

quote:

quote:

quote:

I dunno, maybe you are the 2nd coming of John Randle

Post #: 3295
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 10:44:42 AM   
Burns

Speaking of John Randle:

https://youtu.be/Xd5qynl_i94

Can't get enough of this!

Post #: 3296
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 11:08:58 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Vikings Corner‏ @VikingsCorner
The Vikings have signed 6'8", 314-pound OL Freddie Tagaloa and waived DE B.J. Dubose.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 3297
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 11:18:37 AM   
BigSky

quote:

Speaking of John Randle:

https://youtu.be/Xd5qynl_i94

Can't get enough of this!

THANKS BURNS! One of my ALL TIME FAVS!
Post #: 3298
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 2:25:32 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

Well they are continuing to look under rocks which is a good thing.

The 3 yr contract is odd ... must of had interest from somebody else. Letting a 6th rd pick go in his place (albeit one injured for 2016) also indicates the OL moved better than they probably expected (back to his 2014 form).
Post #: 3299
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 5/16/2017 3:12:52 PM   
Ian Joseph

You shouldn't be concerned with the 3 year deal. It could be a 10 year deal and it wouldn't matter.

If there is little to no guaranteed money, the team can walk away from the contract whenever they want. That's the trick to any NFL contract, not simply the years.

If anything, the years piece is for the player's security, if such a thing exists in this case.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 3300
Page:   <<   < prev  130 131 [132] 133 134   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2017 Free Agency Page: <<   < prev  130 131 [132] 133 134   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode