Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2017 Free Agency

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2017 Free Agency Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/3/2017 7:55:53 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Lowe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

I wouldn't bring Munnerlynn back. He's been getting torched at a pretty regular rate the past couple weeks.

Yep Jeff, I think You roll with Alexander/Waynes as next men up

CB is one of the few areas we have good depth!

Not if we don't bring at least 1 of Newman/Wunnerlyn back. And Alexander barely sniffed the field this year, so we don't know what we have in him. The coaches might, we don't. I hope for a Waynes like progression from year 1 to year 2 for him, but that is no certainty.

Agreed. The slot is not every cb's cup of tea. In fact, wedon't have any depth there other than Alexander. Waynes didn't look good in the slot when he played there as a rook.

I'd keep Capt unless his demands are too much.

MLB---Choose well and Championships will follow
Post #: 51
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/3/2017 8:00:59 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brian Nagel

Sirles, Thielen, and Charles Johnson are restricted FA's.

What kind of tender do you put on Thielen?

From the interwebs:

First round tender: 1 year, about $3.582 million
Second round tender: 1 year, about $2.516 million
Right of first refusal/Original round tender: 1 year, about $1.647 million

Those names are not just for show. As the name implies, other teams can sign away restricted free agents -- at a price. Another team can come in and offer a restricted free agent more money to sign elsewhere, but must also give away a draft pick -- namely the one mentioned in the type of tender. "Original round" refers to the round the restricted agent was initially drafted in. If he was not drafted, there is no draft compensation.

Right of refusal -- This means that a restricted free agent's team can match any offer made by another team trying to sign him away and retain the player at that price.

You 1st round tender Theilen or hopefully work out a long term deal.

Give Sirles 3 yrs. 5M to be the jack of all trades sub.

Wish CJ well. Thank him for that one nice catch he made against the Bears(in CHI) in 2015.

1st round tender for theilen?...would you trade him for a 2nd round pick?....

Pretty sure we will resign Theilen on a mid level 3 yr deal. Theilen will be loyal

Post #: 52
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/3/2017 9:38:02 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

as expected; all these players signed to futures contracts....

Sterling Bailey, DT
Moritz Böhringer, WR
Kyle Carter, TE
Cayleb Jones, WR
Marquis Lucas, T
Tre Roberson, CB
Bishop Sankey, RB
Cedric Thompson, S
Austin Shepherd, T

I wonder if Sankey was just overrated or if he can still be a solid player?

Injury? Lack of speed?

Feasted on Pac 12 defenses and had inflated stats?

Yes, no, no, yes, yes, and yes.

That's what I thought
Post #: 53
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/3/2017 12:21:19 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wouldn't bring Munnerlynn back. He's been getting torched at a pretty regular rate the past couple weeks.

Not if we don't bring at least 1 of Newman/Wunnerlyn back. And Alexander barely sniffed the field this year, so we don't know what we have in him. The coaches might, we don't. I hope for a Waynes like progression from year 1 to year 2 for him, but that is no certainty.

Agreed. The slot is not every cb's cup of tea. In fact, wedon't have any depth there other than Alexander. Waynes didn't look good in the slot when he played there as a rook.

it would not surprise me if we retained newman and he manned the slot...rhodes, waynes and newman....

newman graded very very well this season - i'd pay him up to $4m on a one year deal....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 54
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/3/2017 12:25:43 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

it would not surprise me if we retained newman and he manned the slot...rhodes, waynes and newman....

newman graded very very well this season - i'd pay him up to $4m on a one year deal....

Also very conceivable he would be the super-sub for the secondary, as he's also filled in at safety.
Post #: 55
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/3/2017 12:28:29 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art

Pac 12 vs. Pac 12 is usually good football.
Vs. everybody else usually not so much.

Entertaining at any rate.
Post #: 56
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/4/2017 1:42:37 AM   
Brian Nagel

If Newman and Munnerlyn are both gone, then Waynes and Alexander better start wearing Xavier Rhodes' boxing gloves now so they're used to not being able to grab stuff.

Might be a flag fiesta out there.
Post #: 57
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/6/2017 9:23:05 PM   
drviking

http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/first-look-potential-2017-roster-bubble-players-621/

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 58
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/6/2017 11:07:28 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/first-look-potential-2017-roster-bubble-players-621/

i'd look at these guys....

D'Qwell Jackson
Haloti Ngata

Post #: 59
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/7/2017 9:54:01 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

A lot of turds on that list. Very thin for OT.

Post #: 60
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/8/2017 8:47:41 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

D'Qwell Jackson
Haloti Ngata

Thought Kyle Fuller had a good year as a rookie, don't know about since then. Seems he wants to leave....

The VIKINGS need to have the key $ dates for Peterson and Floyd set up in poster sized font.
Post #: 61
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/8/2017 8:55:55 AM   
Bill Jandro

Kyle Fuller was real good his rookie year. haven't really noticed him the last couple seasons when we play them.

Found this

It has been all downhill for the Bears since, and Fuller certainly hasn't been the same. The team has not been above .500 since that victory in the Meadowlands in Week 3 of Marc Trestman's final season as coach. Fuller's playmaking ways disappeared by the middle of that season when he frequently found himself matched up against the opponent's No. 1 wide receiver.

Now the former first-round draft pick's future with the Bears seems cloudy after he was placed on injured reserve Tuesday. The move that means he cannot play until Week 12 against the Titans on Nov. 27, at the earliest.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-biggs-kyle-fuller-career-jeopardy-spt-0929-20160928-column.html

Post #: 62
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/8/2017 8:57:48 AM   
Bill Jandro

Fuller looks like a good candidate for a reclamation project for Zim

Post #: 63
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/8/2017 8:59:42 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Fuller looks like a good candidate for a reclamation project for Zim

Agreed.

Thanks for the info.
Post #: 64
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/8/2017 9:08:10 AM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

Could you match up our great needs any worse than what's available in FA and the draft this year?

Could have us settling down with Kalil for a few more years.

Man - what kind of contract it would be is anyone's guess.

Could very well happen though.

I say Nay Nay!
Post #: 65
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/8/2017 9:19:32 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

quote:

Could you match up our great needs any worse than what's available in FA and the draft this year?

Could have us settling down with Kalil for a few more years.

Man - what kind of contract it would be is anyone's guess.

Could very well happen though.

I blame Spielman for this. The info on a weak Oline draft and FA availability can be found on the internet for this year last March.

Should have been picking Olineman out of rd one or two the last several years. Now we have nothing and there is nothing available.

Thought we should have picked up a NT last year due to the strength and depth of that draft.

Instead year after year our needs never line up with a drafts strengths. This is on the GM.

Post #: 66
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/8/2017 9:57:42 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

D'Qwell Jackson
Haloti Ngata

Thought Kyle Fuller had a good year as a rookie, don't know about since then. Seems he wants to leave....

The VIKINGS need to have the key $ dates for Peterson and Floyd set up in poster sized font.

adrian
2017 $6 million Roster Bonus due on 3/11/2017

i think fifth year option becomes contract after 3rd day of 2017 season - so about the 11th of march
The 2017 NFL League year will begin on March 9, 2017 at 4:00 p.m. ET.

Post #: 67
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/8/2017 6:01:09 PM   
Justin Sampson

The draft is very thin at O-Line at the top. There's a few top 20 LT's and then the drop off projects to rounds 3 and 4. Same for Guards.

With Shurmur's offense basically meaning we will part with AP. There's a handful of 2nd round RB's that could be there for us that would fit in Shurmur's offense. Free agency basically has nothing out there beyond a past his prime Chris Johnson, and a struggling CJ Spiller. We could go the bruiser route and look at LaGarrett Blount, but he isn't going to catch anything out of the backfield.

In the 2nd round there's a possibility McCaffrey (Stan), Kamara (Tenn), Samuel (OSU), McNichols (Boise) could be sitting there for us.

All of those guys can catch the ball out of the backfield and would fit well in our scheme. Samuel might be more of a receiver than running back.

Yahoo Sports mocks Christian McCaffrey to Vikings in 2017 NFL Draft

< Message edited by Justin Sampson -- 1/8/2017 6:08:27 PM >
Post #: 68
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/8/2017 6:46:22 PM   
Jeff Jesser

What the hell is Shurmur's offense? Serious question. I saw all but 1 game and I have no clue what he's trying to do out there.
Post #: 69
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/8/2017 7:05:15 PM   
Justin Sampson

quote:

What the hell is Shurmur's offense? Serious question. I saw all but 1 game and I have no clue what he's trying to do out there.

West Coast offense. Shotgun. Quick passes to backs out of the backfield instead of handoffs. No fullback. Timing routes.
Post #: 70
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/8/2017 10:39:47 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Justin Sampson

The draft is very thin at O-Line at the top. There's a few top 20 LT's and then the drop off projects to rounds 3 and 4. Same for Guards.

With Shurmur's offense basically meaning we will part with AP. There's a handful of 2nd round RB's that could be there for us that would fit in Shurmur's offense. Free agency basically has nothing out there beyond a past his prime Chris Johnson, and a struggling CJ Spiller. We could go the bruiser route and look at LaGarrett Blount, but he isn't going to catch anything out of the backfield.

In the 2nd round there's a possibility McCaffrey (Stan), Kamara (Tenn), Samuel (OSU), McNichols (Boise) could be sitting there for us.

All of those guys can catch the ball out of the backfield and would fit well in our scheme. Samuel might be more of a receiver than running back.

Yahoo Sports mocks Christian McCaffrey to Vikings in 2017 NFL Draft

Sports Illustrated claims that Center and Guard are deeper than usual...partly because some of the top prospects have played well at both positions in college.

Granted, there are not a lot (any?) first rounders in these position groups but there aren't many year-in and year-out. They are just devalued positions.

Unless your OL played like ours last year. There should be some good interior OL in the second rd. and on.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 1/8/2017 10:43:44 PM >
Post #: 71
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 10:36:40 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

West Coast offense. Shotgun. Quick passes to backs out of the backfield instead of handoffs. No fullback. Timing routes.

I'm trying to be positive about it and blame the OLine but I didn't see any of that. It looked to me like he was trying to figure it out on the go. The Wildcat was especially humiliating.

There was ZERO deception in the offense. If we knew what they were doing pre-snap you can damn well believe those pros did. Hell, several opponents commented on it after the game.

Not trying to say it was all on Shurmur by any means but I'm very nervous going in to next year. If we go in thinking a couple new OLine guys are going to fix all, it's going to be another very long year.
Post #: 72
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 10:57:34 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm trying to be positive about it and blame the OLine but I didn't see any of that. It looked to me like he was trying to figure it out on the go. The Wildcat was especially humiliating.

There was ZERO deception in the offense. If we knew what they were doing pre-snap you can damn well believe those pros did. Hell, several opponents commented on it after the game.

Not trying to say it was all on Shurmur by any means but I'm very nervous going in to next year. If we go in thinking a couple new OLine guys are going to fix all, it's going to be another very long year.

If Kalil gets signed to play LT we will NOT make the playoffs. If AD gets resigned we will NOT make the playoffs. If they are both on the roster we'll be under .500. This organization needs to grow up and get smarter and less lazy. "Well he's the guy we have so I guess we better go with the guy we have" OMG I must vomit!

F'ing lazy, terrible management throwing money around at mediocrity and feeling good about it.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 73
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 1:29:42 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree 100%.

Shurmur has a long way to go to make me feel even ok about being our OC going forward.

Sporano as OL Coach as well.

Fix it Zimmer!!
Post #: 74
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 2:02:45 PM   
Art

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

If Kalil gets signed to play LT we will NOT make the playoffs. If AD gets resigned we will NOT make the playoffs. If they are both on the roster we'll be under .500. This organization needs to grow up and get smarter and less lazy. "Well he's the guy we have so I guess we better go with the guy we have" OMG I must vomit!

F'ing lazy, terrible management throwing money around at mediocrity and feeling good about it.

We made the playoffs with Kalil last year. So that's a stretch.
"Anybody but" is not a good strategy in and of itself.
I'd prefer someone else, as we all would, but after Clemmings' year ... I'll take Kalil's 2015 if we were able to secure the rest of the OL nicely. Only if.
I'm not sure what we have in store there but I would expect them to also take a look at Rashod. One game does not a player make ... Clemmings and Sirles had single good games here and there too. But he is a guy we control (I think) and could be in the mix. LT's are like QB's. There are not a lot of them on the market and if they are there is a hole in their game, be it age, injury or talent.

Peterson is not coming back. Don't have to worry about that one. Once we gave the reins to Shurmur the writing was on the wall. They are saying it's a deep draft at RB. We could possibly get a top 3 RB even in the 2nd round.

I wouldn't call the team lazy at all. It is a major challenge to build a SB champion. And the guys that are great at it don't usually become available, just like QB's and LT's. Of all the SB winners the past 10 years ... every single HC and GM is still with that team except for Coughlin (age), Dungy (retired) and Kubiak (health). Again, the "anybody but" plan is usually a losing proposition (see Cleveland among others).

We'll get there brother. Compared to 3 years ago when everything was dilapidated, there is much less to fix, and it has our attention.

What happened?
Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2017 Free Agency Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode