Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2017 Free Agency

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2017 Free Agency Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 3:24:15 PM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Justin Sampson

quote:

What the hell is Shurmur's offense? Serious question. I saw all but 1 game and I have no clue what he's trying to do out there.

West Coast offense. Shotgun. Quick passes to backs out of the backfield instead of handoffs. No fullback. Timing routes.

I'm trying to be positive about it and blame the OLine but I didn't see any of that. It looked to me like he was trying to figure it out on the go. The Wildcat was especially humiliating.

There was ZERO deception in the offense. If we knew what they were doing pre-snap you can damn well believe those pros did. Hell, several opponents commented on it after the game.

Not trying to say it was all on Shurmur by any means but I'm very nervous going in to next year. If we go in thinking a couple new OLine guys are going to fix all, it's going to be another very long year.

If Kalil gets signed to play LT we will NOT make the playoffs. If AD gets resigned we will NOT make the playoffs. If they are both on the roster we'll be under .500. This organization needs to grow up and get smarter and less lazy. "Well he's the guy we have so I guess we better go with the guy we have" OMG I must vomit!

F'ing lazy, terrible management throwing money around at mediocrity and feeling good about it.

We made the playoffs with Kalil last year. So that's a stretch.
"Anybody but" is not a good strategy in and of itself.
I'd prefer someone else, as we all would, but after Clemmings' year ... I'll take Kalil's 2015 if we were able to secure the rest of the OL nicely. Only if.
I'm not sure what we have in store there but I would expect them to also take a look at Rashod. One game does not a player make ... Clemmings and Sirles had single good games here and there too. But he is a guy we control (I think) and could be in the mix. LT's are like QB's. There are not a lot of them on the market and if they are there is a hole in their game, be it age, injury or talent.

Peterson is not coming back. Don't have to worry about that one. Once we gave the reins to Shurmur the writing was on the wall. They are saying it's a deep draft at RB. We could possibly get a top 3 RB even in the 2nd round.

I wouldn't call the team lazy at all. It is a major challenge to build a SB champion. And the guys that are great at it don't usually become available, just like QB's and LT's. Of all the SB winners the past 10 years ... every single HC and GM is still with that team except for Coughlin (age), Dungy (retired) and Kubiak (health). Again, the "anybody but" plan is usually a losing proposition (see Cleveland among others).

We'll get there brother. Compared to 3 years ago when everything was dilapidated, there is much less to fix, and it has our attention.

So the question is, would we rather sign Whitworth to a 3 year/10 mil a year contract, securing the position for several years until a younger draft pick is ready to step in, or Kalil to a one year $5 mil dollar deal, knowing that he's a poor LT but is only a stopgap until a younger draft pick is ready to take over the next year? Lesser commitment, and therefore risk, on a 1 year deal for Kalil, but his ceiling is very low. Whitworth is the better player, but is he worth the big financial commitment? Either way, I think we need to sign a vet AND draft a LT within the first 3 rounds this year. Anything less and Spielman needs to be fired.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 76
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 3:39:11 PM   
Jason Dorn

quote:

quote:

quote:

What the hell is Shurmur's offense? Serious question. I saw all but 1 game and I have no clue what he's trying to do out there.

West Coast offense. Shotgun. Quick passes to backs out of the backfield instead of handoffs. No fullback. Timing routes.

I'm trying to be positive about it and blame the OLine but I didn't see any of that. It looked to me like he was trying to figure it out on the go. The Wildcat was especially humiliating.

There was ZERO deception in the offense. If we knew what they were doing pre-snap you can damn well believe those pros did. Hell, several opponents commented on it after the game.

Not trying to say it was all on Shurmur by any means but I'm very nervous going in to next year. If we go in thinking a couple new OLine guys are going to fix all, it's going to be another very long year.

How bad is that stupid wildcat? Worst rushing team in the league and trot out that Fn wildcat. Worked against Chicago which was totally meaningless. Did we see the wildcat post AD injury or was it in the plan the first two games ... dont recall.

And it was always after we had something going on offense. Just got two first downs lets just douse those flames with the wildcat. The wildcat worked one game against NE and Sporano has made it his signature. Sporano gets way too much respect and input then. Coach up the OL.

Bradford and Company gotta put up more points. There is no way they can survive without improving the T position ... they need to get 4 new T's in.
Post #: 77
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 3:40:25 PM   
Art

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman
So the question is, would we rather sign Whitworth to a 3 year/10 mil a year contract, securing the position for several years until a younger draft pick is ready to step in, or Kalil to a one year $5 mil dollar deal, knowing that he's a poor LT but is only a stopgap until a younger draft pick is ready to take over the next year? Lesser commitment, and therefore risk, on a 1 year deal for Kalil, but his ceiling is very low. Whitworth is the better player, but is he worth the big financial commitment? Either way, I think we need to sign a vet AND draft a LT within the first 3 rounds this year. Anything less and Spielman needs to be fired.

Hmmm. Good question.
I don't know much about Whitworth ... what he's got left in the tank ... if he's good at blocking out in space (which I'm assuming we'll want from our linemen with Shurmur and a short pass happy offense).
I put no credence in anything PFF ranks. YMMV.
But I agree, we have to draft as well as get a stopgap in.
I think I'm OK with Kalil for one year.
I am also interested in Rashod.
Yes it was one game against the Bears but it was extremely noticeable the upgrade from Clemmings at the getgo.

What happened?
Post #: 78
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 3:45:50 PM   
Art

You know some coach is gonna believe he can fix Kalil.
He's gonna get a few suitors. They may drive the price up. In which case I say forget it.
Don't know enough about Whitworth to have a good opinion.

What happened?
Post #: 79
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 3:49:58 PM   
Art

Whitworth: I will play nowhere else
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BflVwZr6jQA

Top 100 NFL PLayers - Whitworth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGx8ELjI-sw

What happened?
Post #: 80
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 4:04:27 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

Hmmm. Good question.
I don't know much about Whitworth ... what he's got left in the tank ... if he's good at blocking out in space (which I'm assuming we'll want from our linemen with Shurmur and a short pass happy offense).
I put no credence in anything PFF ranks. YMMV.
But I agree, we have to draft as well as get a stopgap in.
I think I'm OK with Kalil for one year.
I am also interested in Rashod.
Yes it was one game against the Bears but it was extremely noticeable the upgrade from Clemmings at the getgo.

Kalil would be continuing an experiment - whitworth would be closer to a guarantee of solid play for a couple of years...who cares how much it costs?...we'll have $65m to spend this off season and it's important to get it right....

If spielman went with kalil and he fails and we go through what we went through this last season again - in my eyes the wilfs would be justified in firing him....

We pay whitworth $10m/yr and we still have over $50m...why are people here so concerned about spending someone else's money?...we get to be vikings fans - and it's free....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 81
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 4:14:31 PM   
Phil Riewer

So was Kalil's hip his only issue? I thought he had ankle and knee problems too....can he stay healthy even though he is a relatively young 27 (28 in July). Jake Long at a relatively young 31 couldn't....I have the same doubts about Kalil.

I would rather re-sign Long than Kalil.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 82
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 4:22:55 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

So was Kalil's hip his only issue? I thought he had ankle and knee problems too....can he stay healthy even though he is a relatively young 27 (28 in July). Jake Long at a relatively young 31 couldn't....I have the same doubts about Kalil.

If healthy, I would consider resigning long as a sub for next season, but not as a starter....

Post #: 83
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 4:31:58 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

If healthy, I would consider resigning long as a sub for next season, but not as a starter....

I can't imagine any way he doesn't retire at this point.
Post #: 84
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 4:38:50 PM   
David Levine

Whitworth:

55 straight starts. Allowed 14 total pressures on the season. If Cincy wants him to play G next year, it sounds like he'd leave:

Andrew Whitworth sees himself playing anywhere next season, as long as it is at left tackle.

After returning to left guard for a start Saturday night in Houston for the first time in three years, Andrew Whitworth hopes he gets the call back at left tackle in this Sunday’s regular-season finale (1 p.m.-Cincinnati’s Channel 12) against the Ravens.

That’s his first choice for next year, too, as both he and the Bengals mull their next steps in free agency. At 35 and heading into his 12th NFL season, Whitworth still sees himself as the Bengals starting left tackle even as the Bengals try to find out about Cedric Ogbuehi, the No. 1 pick from 2015 who has struggled to get settled at both left and right tackle.

“My first choice is to play left tackle in 2017 somewhere,” Whitworth said Tuesday when the Bengals returned to work from the holiday. “Hopefully here. My No. 1 choice is here.”

And his No. 1 choice is the left tackle position Whitworth has anchored for the past eight years with steel-belted reliability. In that stretch the quarterback’s blindside, whether it be Carson Palmer or Andy Dalton, has been clean enough to secure three AFC North titles and six post-season berths, and he doesn’t see himself giving it up.

“To me it’s about putting the best people out there playing football,” Whitworth said. “I think I have a talent that’s rare at left tackle in pass protection. There are just not many guys out there that are good at that level.”

On Saturday night Whitworth worked next to Ogbuehi, but it sounds like he’d prefer tackle. Asked about the possibility of moving to left guard next year to help the transition Whitworth said, “It would depend on what the other offers were. That’s a diverse world. It depends on what you’re getting paid to do and that kind of deal.”

If guard is his only option to stay in the league, he’ll do it, but if you look at the rankings of profootballfocus.com’s left tackles since Whitworth moved from guard to tackle in 2009, you won’t convince him he should stop playing left tackle.

He’s currently ranked as the league’s second best pass protecting tackle. Ogbuehi is ranked seventh from last after starting 11 games at right tackle and one game at left.

In 2010 Whitworth became No. 1 overall after moving from No. 10 in 2009. In 2011 and 2012 he was ranked third and second, respectively, protecting the passer before falling to 24th in 2013 while hobbled with a knee injury. But in 2014 he came back to lead all tackles in overall play, where he’s currently ranked third.

“Guard is a whole other world,” Whitworth said. “It’s physical, banged up, a lot guys are bruised and battered. It’s a different style of football in there. It’s why you see a lot of guards who are big and heavy. Rhinoceros-built guys. That’s why you don’t see a lot of tall, rangy 6-7 guys in there.”

Whitworth isn’t happy with how he played inside against the Texans, since it was a short week and he only got one practice in.

“I didn’t do anything glaringly bad. I just kind of did my job,” Whitworth said. “Playing a team like they are you get so many crazy looks, it’s hard to get settled. You don’t have a normal down in there. They’ve morphed … They’re more like Rex (Ryan) back in the day. They’re all over the place. … With the communication and feel, that’s was a hard environment to play exceptionally well for sure. Hopefully I’ll be back at tackle.”
Post #: 85
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 4:59:05 PM   
ratoppenheimer

If withworth is the best player at left tackle available in free agency then i'd offer him $12m/yr - or a couple million more than anyone else and just secure his ass...what's a couple of million when we have it, and we are so desperate for a left tackle?....

Just do it, man....

Post #: 86
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 5:33:05 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

Me too, and I'm not a Long fan (esp with Achilles blown).

If we re-sign Kalil, I will freak out!!

Rashod Hill looks promising, can't bank on him tho. He should have been playing way sooner than he was, imo. A slinky would have been more effective than Clemmings.

Whitworth seems to me like the best option for next year's starting LT.

Fix it Zimmer!!
Post #: 87
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 5:45:44 PM   
Bill Johanesen

It's bad how people cling to has been Vikings as part of the SOLUTION when in fact they have been part of the PROBLEM.

Exhibit 1: Matt Kalil.

Probably due to him being a #4 overall pick, people think he still offers part of the solution for the OL. Take off your purple shades and ignore his draft status, and look at the facts! He has been terrible.

Look at it objectively, pretend you are a fan from another team needing OL. Kalil would be among the turds.

And he is injury prone to boot. Offseason surgeries. I can hear his excuses now for 2017... "Well, I wasn't fully healed for camp, blah, blah." Just like with his knee.

IN NO SHAPE OR FORM SHOULD MATT KALIL EVER PLAY A DOWN FOR THE VIKINGS AGAIN.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/9/2017 5:50:46 PM >
Post #: 88
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 5:47:36 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Jake Long is exhibit 2.

His real classification is "retired", but folks here will hang on.
Post #: 89
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 5:48:14 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Bring Sirles and Hill in to compete, nothing more. At ages 25 and 24, they are about 100% younger than Kalil in NFL years and offer more potential.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/9/2017 5:56:53 PM >
Post #: 90
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 5:56:25 PM   
Brad H

Desperate times call for desperate measures. I say they bring back exactly ZERO offensive lineman and ZERO offensive line coaches.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 91
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 6:04:47 PM   
Justin Sampson

I'm not as hard on Kalil as some of you guys. The grass isn't always greener, not everyone can be Joe Thomas. If and that's a big IF he stay healthy I think he can get the job done at LT. He hasn't been elite but he's been serviceable when healthy. He came into this season healthy and we were 4-0 before he went down. Bradford and MVP was being thrown around. We definitely need a reputable backup that we can bring in cheap via the draft or free agency if he's coming back.

As bad as the left side was in pass protection, the right side was just as bad at run blocking. I think you give Wagner a hard look if we can snag him from the Ravens (which looks like he's their #1 priority). He's a jack of all trades, run and pass. He'd most likely cost us around 8-9 mil a year though. Vollmer from the Patriots is intriguing as well, but like Kalil he's injury riddled and he's older like Whitworth. He could come cheaper.

Inside you keep Boone and let Sirles, Fusco and lower tier free agents and rookies battle. Get a backup for Berger. Fixing the line could be all about adding depth for competition.

I think Zimmer will take a look at CB's since he loves to develop them and will give Morris Claiborne a look for Newman/Captain's replacement. Alot of athleticism with terrible technique. Right up Zim's alley. He could come cheap.
Post #: 92
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 6:25:20 PM   
Todd M

quote:

He came into this season healthy and we were 4-0 before he went down.

Technically we were 1-0 as he went down in the GB game.

I say Nay Nay!
Post #: 93
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 6:32:08 PM   
Todd M

I don't get is how the book isn't closed on Long. A street FA that the NFL was done with because of injury - that was scary as shit in there before maybe maybe not looking like a complete dumpster fire before sustaining a major injury. Let it go man! Everyone isn't salvageable just because it would be better for us if they were.

I say Nay Nay!
Post #: 94
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 8:30:42 PM   
Art

quote:

I'm not as hard on Kalil as some of you guys. The grass isn't always greener, not everyone can be Joe Thomas. If and that's a big IF he stay healthy I think he can get the job done at LT. He hasn't been elite but he's been serviceable when healthy. He came into this season healthy and we were 4-0 before he went down. Bradford and MVP was being thrown around. We definitely need a reputable backup that we can bring in cheap via the draft or free agency if he's coming back.

As bad as the left side was in pass protection, the right side was just as bad at run blocking. I think you give Wagner a hard look if we can snag him from the Ravens (which looks like he's their #1 priority). He's a jack of all trades, run and pass. He'd most likely cost us around 8-9 mil a year though. Vollmer from the Patriots is intriguing as well, but like Kalil he's injury riddled and he's older like Whitworth. He could come cheaper.

Inside you keep Boone and let Sirles, Fusco and lower tier free agents and rookies battle. Get a backup for Berger. Fixing the line could be all about adding depth for competition.

I think Zimmer will take a look at CB's since he loves to develop them and will give Morris Claiborne a look for Newman/Captain's replacement. Alot of athleticism with terrible technique. Right up Zim's alley. He could come cheap.

That's what we supposedly did this year. Doesn't work if everyone competing is talentless.
I've been looking at whatever I can find on Whitworth.
He seems like a good player. Worth a roll on two years. But remember, we're going to be paying real QB money for the first time in a while.
Peterson's salary will help but we need that money for more than just Whitworth. The line is more than a tackle away.
Fusco goes the way of Sully.

We need a DT bad. It showed later in the year.
I don't like Claiborne at all. Overrated in college and a lousy pro who is injured all the time.
I'd rather pay the Capn. And we might.

What happened?
Post #: 95
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 8:33:23 PM   
Art

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Bring Sirles and Hill in to compete, nothing more. At ages 25 and 24, they are about 100% younger than Kalil in NFL years and offer more potential.

I'm not feeling the Sirles optimism.
He and Fusco were terrible on the right side.
Would never want him on the left.

What happened?
Post #: 96
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 8:34:21 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Dorn

quote:

quote:

quote:

How bad is that stupid wildcat? Worst rushing team in the league and trot out that Fn wildcat. Worked against Chicago which was totally meaningless. Did we see the wildcat post AD injury or was it in the plan the first two games ... dont recall.

And it was always after we had something going on offense. Just got two first downs lets just douse those flames with the wildcat. The wildcat worked one game against NE and Sporano has made it his signature. Sporano gets way too much respect and input then. Coach up the OL.

Bradford and Company gotta put up more points. There is no way they can survive without improving the T position ... they need to get 4 new T's in.

Sparano is just the OL coach.
Post #: 97
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 8:47:47 PM   
David F.

quote:

Whitworth: I will play nowhere else
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BflVwZr6jQA

Top 100 NFL PLayers - Whitworth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGx8ELjI-sw

That was before they made him play guard. He's since said that he'll play tackle first and foremost - preferably with the Bengals.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 98
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 8:59:14 PM   
Justin Sampson

quote:

quote:

That's what we supposedly did this year. Doesn't work if everyone competing is talentless.
He seems like a good player. Worth a roll on two years. But remember, we're going to be paying real QB money for the first time in a while.
Peterson's salary will help but we need that money for more than just Whitworth. The line is more than a tackle away.

I agree we need more than just Whitworth. The trouble with him is he's not going to leave the Bengals unless he is given $$$ he can't refuse. I'm not willing to give a 35 year old offensive lineman 10Mil+ a year, even if he is considered the 2nd or 3rd best LT in the AFC at the moment. You could arguably get 3 starters for the price of a Whitworth.
Post #: 99
RE: 2017 Free Agency - 1/9/2017 9:12:18 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree we need more than just Whitworth. The trouble with him is he's not going to leave the Bengals unless he is given $$$ he can't refuse. I'm not willing to give a 35 year old offensive lineman 10Mil+ a year, even if he is considered the 2nd or 3rd best LT in the AFC at the moment. You could arguably get 3 starters for the price of a Whitworth.

Can you get 3 good OLine starters for 10M?

That's Andre Smith money - and he was a gamble that a change of scenery could reverse him being pretty much a bust.

I'm not sure you can get even 2 starters on the line for 10M.
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2017 Free Agency Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode