Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2017 NFL Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2017 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  93 94 95 96 [97]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/9/2017 5:04:21 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

Post Draft NFL Power Rankings by ESPN

21. Minnesota Vikings

2016 record: 8-8
Post-free agency ranking: No. 19

The Vikings think they upgraded at offensive tackle, and I guess you could make the argument that they could have signed two recliners and not been any worse off there than they were last season. But Riley Reiff and Mike Remmers are in the prove-it zone, and the success of Latavius Murray and Dalvin Cook is tied to theirs.

1. NE
2. Atnalta
3. GB

Is GB ever ranked lower than 3rd prior to the season?

I think that one year after Hornung quit and Lombardi died ... they sunk to 4th.

I like how NE gets ranked so highly on draft grades because of the veterans they added (and we don't). Even though they only drafted 4 players, none of which based on pre-draft analysis, project as middle of the pack prospects.

As an example, Zierlein at nfl.com's 'draft power rankings':

Patriots, #3 (!!!!)
The Patriots used their draft picks to get "now" players like Brandin Cooks and Kony Ealy, so that should be factored in here. With just four picks, the Patriots didn't pull any shockers and instead opted for tough guys in the trenches in OT Antonio Garcia and DEs Derek Rivers and Deatrich Wise. I must have said "Wise is a Patriot" about four times while watching his tape.

Vikings, #28
The Vikings' draft was spotty. Dalvin Cook is a talented runner who should compete for early carries, while Pat Elflein was my top-rated center. On the flip side, I'm not as high on fourth-round LB Ben Gedeon or fifth-round guard Danny Isadora. Bucky Hodges fell all the way to the sixth round and could become a starter in due time.

BOTTOMLINE: I am just one sick puppy to be offended by draft pundit analysis.

This guy really is an idiot though. How can he like the moves the Vikings made so well and rank them so low. Zierlein if I'm not mistaken called Cook the best RB in the draft. He loves our first two picks considers Bucky a steal but has us as the 5th worst draft in the league. And doesn't even factor in Bradford.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2401
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/9/2017 5:32:15 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

21. Minnesota Vikings

The Vikings think they upgraded at offensive tackle, and I guess you could make the argument that they could have signed two recliners and not been any worse off there than they were last season. But Riley Reiff and Mike Remmers are in the prove-it zone, and the success of Latavius Murray and Dalvin Cook is tied to theirs.

1. NE
2. Atnalta
3. GB

I think that one year after Hornung quit and Lombardi died ... they sunk to 4th.

I like how NE gets ranked so highly on draft grades because of the veterans they added (and we don't). Even though they only drafted 4 players, none of which based on pre-draft analysis, project as middle of the pack prospects.

Patriots, #3 (!!!!)
The Patriots used their draft picks to get "now" players like Brandin Cooks and Kony Ealy, so that should be factored in here. With just four picks, the Patriots didn't pull any shockers and instead opted for tough guys in the trenches in OT Antonio Garcia and DEs Derek Rivers and Deatrich Wise. I must have said "Wise is a Patriot" about four times while watching his tape.

Vikings, #28
The Vikings' draft was spotty. Dalvin Cook is a talented runner who should compete for early carries, while Pat Elflein was my top-rated center. On the flip side, I'm not as high on fourth-round LB Ben Gedeon or fifth-round guard Danny Isadora. Bucky Hodges fell all the way to the sixth round and could become a starter in due time.

They conveniently didn't mention the NT we drafted in the 4th that may start from the beginning. Not surprising coming from ESPN homer either.

Using Mayock's rankings and Zierlein's own grades ...

The Patriots trade draft picks [for players this season I might add] for very good WR Cooks and very avg. DE Ealy. Then draft top 100 ranked Derek Rivers (#82), Antonio Garcia (#86); and no top 100 ranking but draft graded DE Wise (5.4) and OT McDermott (4.9).

We trade our #1 this season and get a starting QB [starting last season I might add] and draft top 100 ranked Cook (#29) and Elflein (#54); and no top 100 ranking but draft graded TE Hodges (5.7 grade), DT Johnson (5.6 grade), WR Adams (5.4 grade), DL Odenigbo (5.4), LB Lee (5.4), OG Isidora (5.3 grade), WR Coley (5.3) LB Gedeon (5.1), CB Tocho (5.0).

And NE has the 3rd rated draft and the Vikings have the 28th rated draft.

That's stunningly biased.
Post #: 2402
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/9/2017 6:06:21 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

lol, they went down after the draft!

funny stuff!

We were not the only team drafting.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 5/9/2017 6:12:36 PM >
Post #: 2403
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/9/2017 6:12:05 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

21. Minnesota Vikings

1. NE
2. Atnalta
3. GB

Patriots, #3 (!!!!)

Vikings, #28

They conveniently didn't mention the NT we drafted in the 4th that may start from the beginning. Not surprising coming from ESPN homer either.

The Patriots trade draft picks [for players this season I might add] for very good WR Cooks and very avg. DE Ealy. Then draft top 100 ranked Derek Rivers (#82), Antonio Garcia (#86); and no top 100 ranking but draft graded DE Wise (5.4) and OT McDermott (4.9).

We trade our #1 this season and get a starting QB [starting last season I might add] and draft top 100 ranked Cook (#29) and Elflein (#54); and no top 100 ranking but draft graded TE Hodges (5.7 grade), DT Johnson (5.6 grade), WR Adams (5.4 grade), DL Odenigbo (5.4), LB Lee (5.4), OG Isidora (5.3 grade), WR Coley (5.3) LB Gedeon (5.1), CB Tocho (5.0).

It's not rating the draft. It's post draft power rankings.
Post #: 2404
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/9/2017 7:46:42 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Rankings of draft two years ago mean more than the ones that just happened.

Just once I'd like to experience a major championship.
Post #: 2405
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/9/2017 8:57:30 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

21. Minnesota Vikings

1. NE
2. Atnalta
3. GB

Patriots, #3 (!!!!)

Vikings, #28

It's not rating the draft. It's post draft power rankings.

Draft Class Power Rankings. Not Team Power Rankings.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000806106/article/2017-nfl-draft-class-power-rankings-teams-14

Which takes it from innocuous to the rock bottom of uselessness.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 5/9/2017 8:58:40 PM >
Post #: 2406
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/12/2017 8:49:51 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I think most of us are burned out about the draft, but here is an article about the Vikings draft. Just something to read.

http://nflspinzone.com/2017/04/30/nfl-draft-grades-2017-minnesota-vikings-every-pick/

Post #: 2407
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/13/2017 10:00:07 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I think most of us are burned out about the draft, but here is an article about the Vikings draft. Just something to read.

http://nflspinzone.com/2017/04/30/nfl-draft-grades-2017-minnesota-vikings-every-pick/

I think this guy nails it pretty good.

Very good grades on our 1st 3 picks

Then the Gideon and Isodora head scratchers

Not sure why he didn't think we had a need at wr so he didn't like those picks.

MLB---Choose well and Championships will follow
Post #: 2408
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/13/2017 10:27:18 AM   
kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

I think this guy nails it pretty good.

Very good grades on our 1st 3 picks

Then the Gideon and Isodora head scratchers

Not sure why he didn't think we had a need at wr so he didn't like those picks.

Yeah I'd agree with that too Bill.

A tough year to get much out of the OLine evidently... Sucks for us.

Not taking Dorian Johnson kinda pissed me off, but I guess health issues scared us off.

Isadora seems like the same in the long line of Jeff Baca/ Travis Bond/ DeMarcus Love/ David Yankey late round throw away picks on OLine...

Hope I'm wrong...

However as much as I usually hate Spielman's choices in Free Agency, I really do like his drafting for the most part.

Get one of the receivers to surprise
Get lucky with Hodges
Cook/ Elf are the real deal
Look out!

The last time he flirted with Danger,
Danger got clingy....

He once gave a pep talk so compelling that both teams won!

The circus ran away to join him....
Post #: 2409
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/14/2017 8:10:32 AM   
jbusse

Dorian Johnson will have chance to break into Cardinals' rotation at guard
http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/126102/dorian-johnson-will-have-competition-to-break-into-cardinals-rotation-at-guard

A bit of a risk with his health issue. Nonetheless, disappointed that we didn't get him, since he's OK for now, and now is when we need OL help.
Post #: 2410
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/14/2017 5:31:25 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I enjoyed this:

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Rookie_Spotlight_The_2017_Vikings_Draft_Class/5a3c2ae5-5003-4de3-a0f4-37fdae3d9cd0

Post #: 2411
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/14/2017 7:55:17 PM   
ratoppenheimer

ESPN: Stacy Coley One Of Draft’s Biggest Steals
A group of talent evaluators named him the biggest heist of the draft’s final round.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/5/14/15638510/espn-stacy-coley-drafts-biggest-steals

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2412
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/14/2017 8:19:25 PM   
thebigo

How can you not love Gedeon's nose?
Post #: 2413
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/14/2017 9:15:30 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

A group of talent evaluators named him the biggest heist of the draft’s final round.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/5/14/15638510/espn-stacy-coley-drafts-biggest-steals

Looked at the article.. what stood out was the link to the video on the new VCIS football helmet with the soft shell. THAT was impressive.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 2414
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/14/2017 9:27:58 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Looked at the article.. what stood out was the link to the video on the new VCIS football helmet with the soft shell. THAT was impressive.

man, i just watched that video...very interesting....

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/5/14/15638128/big-changes-nfl-helmets-coming-soon

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2415
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/14/2017 10:08:21 PM   
Bruce Johnson

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/5/12/15629782/vikings-wont-be-signing-armstrong

Post #: 2416
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/14/2017 10:14:16 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Our linebacker pick out of Michigan is not highly recognized. I think it's because he's a late bloomer.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/5/13/15636068/dead-tree-media-draft-review-ben-gedeon

Post #: 2417
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/17/2017 5:26:44 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Additionally, one of the 13 undrafted rookies that Minnesota signed Aviante Collins is a tackle competing for the opportunity to add depth to the offensive line.
“I’m here to make a difference,” Collins said. “I came here to prove to all 32 teams why I should have gotten drafted in the first place.”
Added Collins: “I’m going to be one of the ones that makes the roster.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/OT-Collins-Among-Undrafted-Rookies-Looking-to-Leave-Impression/47ab44a6-8753-4cc8-9729-173daa4d9487

It says here that he's an older rookie. (24) For an offensive lineman, that may be a good thing, not a bad. They need more time to mature, I think.

http://www.vikings.com/team/roster/aviante-collins/0b5b04d7-8855-4497-9908-b60838c3c79f/

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 5/17/2017 5:29:23 PM >

Post #: 2418
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/17/2017 5:37:46 PM   
Bruce Johnson

To make room for the 6'8" guard (maybe he could be a better fit at tackle) Freddie (too tall) Tagaloa, the Vikings released B.J. DuBose. I believe he was sixth round selection from last year. I'm a bit disappointed that he didn't stick. Remember the first sixth round selection from last year was the German receiver. Last year was really a dud of a rookie class for us. Here' s hoping that the first two selections turn it around, but overall it was a bummer so far.

Post #: 2419
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/18/2017 6:54:15 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

To make room for the 6'8" guard (maybe he could be a better fit at tackle) Freddie (too tall) Tagaloa, the Vikings released B.J. DuBose. I believe he was sixth round selection from last year. I'm a bit disappointed that he didn't stick. Remember the first sixth round selection from last year was the German receiver. Last year was really a dud of a rookie class for us. Here' s hoping that the first two selections turn it around, but overall it was a bummer so far.

Really looking terrible at this point.

Esp with Treadwell and Alexander both looking lost while on the field last year.

If those two can pan out and maybe Morgan and Kearse step up it will look a ton better.

MLB---Choose well and Championships will follow
Post #: 2420
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/19/2017 2:03:27 PM   
David Levine

Dead Tree Media Draft Review: Bucky Hodges
The tight end out of Virginia Tech might be the biggest steal the Vikings had

by Christopher Gates@Gates_DN May 19, 2017, 5:00am PDT

We’re into the sixth round of our Dead Tree Media draft review for the Minnesota Vikings’ Class of 2017. The purple only wound up having one selection in the sixth round of the 2017 NFL Draft, but in terms of where the Vikings picked him, he might be the biggest steal Rick Spielman made on draft weekend.

With selection #201 overall, the Vikings selected tight end Bucky Hodges out of Virginia Tech. This year’s tight end class was thought to be one of the deepest in years, but even with that caveat, it’s still hard to imagine that the Vikings got a player of Hodges’ caliber as late as they did.

Both of our “dead tree media” draft guides had Hodges ranked as the #4 tight end available in this year’s class going into this year’s draft. Both guides had O.J. Howard of Alabama and David Njoku rated higher than Hodges. Both of those players went in the first round. The guide from Lindy’s Football also had Evan Engram of Ole Miss, another first rounder, ranked ahead of Hodges, while the Athlon Sports guide had South Alabama tight end Gerald Everett (a second round pick) ahead of him.

With that sort of hype, you’d expect both of the guides to have positive things to say about him, and they don’t disappoint on that front. Let’s start with the Lindy’s Football guide, which had a 2nd/3rd round grade on him.

quote:

In Our View: Hodges might just be the freakiest pass-catcher in the country. If he works hard on refining his position skills, the future looks bright, with a possible first-round selection waiting for him.

Hodges starred as a dual-threat quarterback in high school and redshirted his first season at Virginia Tech while transitioning to tight end. Hodges emerged as a standout tight end, earning freshman All-American honors (USA Today) after setting freshman tight end school records with 45 receptions for 526 yards and six touchdowns while starting just 10 of 13 games. He proved in 2015 that his impressive debut was hardly a fluke, hauling in another 40 catches for 530 yards and six touchdowns (and running for another 27 yards and a score) to earn second-team All-ACC accolades. In 2016 he added 48 catches, 691 yards, and seven TDs.

Strengths: What makes Hodges special is a raw combination of size, strength, and athleticism. He is a classic mismatch, towering over defensive backs often asked to cover him and proving too fast for most linebackers. He has agility, balance, and strength to escape the jam and quickly get into his routes. Hodges possesses rare speed for the position and tracks the ball well over his shoulder, making him an ideal threat down the seam. He shows zero hesitation going over the middle, extending to collect difficult passes in traffic and is bullish after the catch, often dragging would-be tacklers yards downfield.

Weaknesses: Like a lot of today’s college tight ends, Hodges is essentially an overgrown wide receiver. Though he possesses size and aggression, Hodges was rarely used by the Hokies as a traditional inline blocker. He shows awareness and competitiveness while blocking for his teammates, but is a work in progress in this area, currently proving to be more of a pest than a punisher to opponents. He still has work to do as a route-runner. Too often he has relied simply on his size and speed to get open at the college level, rounding off his breaks.

Grade: 7.0

Right after Hodges was drafted, we pointed out that blocking really wasn’t Hodges’ thing. . .not yet, anyway. He obviously has the size and strength to be an effective blocker, but as the Lindy’s review says, he just wasn’t asked to do it much. I don’t think that’s really going to be his role in the NFL, either, but it’s still something he’s going to have to get better at.

Now, let’s look at the Athlon guide.

quote:

Strong Points: His combination of size and athleticism was overwhelming at the college level, and Hodges has the potential to be a mismatch in the NFL as well. He’s tall and long-armed, and he frequently dominated in contested-catch situations solely due to his size. He’ll be an immediate threat in the red zone, effectively using his size to box out defensive backs. Hodges also has the speed to threaten the seam, and he shows the fluid athleticism to develop into a more complete route runner. He’s dangerous with the ball in his hands after the catch.

Weak Points: He’s a non-factor as a blocker, as he shows neither the functional strength nor a particular willingness to mix it up in the run game. Like typical collegiate tight ends, Hodges comes into the NFL raw as a route runner. He also lets throws get into his body rather than snatching the ball with his hands.

Summary: Even with some rough edges, Hodges is still going to be dangerous as a movable chess piece and red-zone threat. Whether he becomes more of a well-rounded threat will depend on coaching and early development.

Final Grade:
2nd Round

Not a lot of difference between the two reviews, though the Athlon Guide was even less complimentary of Hodges’ blocking abilities. Still, it spotlights Hodges’ size and athletic ability, both of which are at a level that honestly should have seen him go long before the sixth round.

It’s not often that this gets said about a sixth-round pick, but I have trouble seeing Hodges not contributing right away, barring some sort of injury issue. For a team that had as many issues getting the football into the end zone. . .particularly after pushing inside the 20-yard line. . .as the Vikings did last year, you’d think that a 6’7”, 250-pound tight end with a 39” vertical leap could find himself a niche in this offense pretty quickly. Even with the selection of Dalvin Cook to build the offense around, I might actually be more excited about Hodges than any of the Vikings’ other picks.

We’ll continue rolling through our Dead Tree Media draft review with the team’s seventh round selections over the next few days.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/5/19/15661952/dead-tree-media-draft-review-bucky-hodges
Post #: 2421
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/19/2017 3:24:02 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Which undrafted rookie has the best chance to make the 53 man team?

Post #: 2422
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/19/2017 7:30:05 PM   
Ian Joseph

Collins. And he will.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 2423
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/20/2017 5:28:15 PM   
joejitsu

Lee, Hodges, Elflein, and Cook have great chances to be plug and play starters. I'm excited about the new and improved oline and the increase of speed on offense.
Post #: 2424
RE: 2017 NFL Draft - 5/21/2017 9:07:53 AM   
kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

Collins. And he will.

Just got done watching tape on this kid...

Really moves his feet well, and locks on..

I agree with you, and it couldn't come at a better position for us.

The last time he flirted with Danger,
Danger got clingy....

He once gave a pep talk so compelling that both teams won!

The circus ran away to join him....
Post #: 2425
Page:   <<   < prev  93 94 95 96 [97]
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2017 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  93 94 95 96 [97]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode