Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota & World Soccer >> RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/8/2019 12:11:14 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Sorry our 8 posts drownded out your board.

Happy for the Loons. Seems like the fanbase is real up there. Good to see. I was skeptical eventhough I've known since I was a kid that soccer is more popular there than most thought.

BTW - the only reason there is Arsenal chat going on is because today is the end of the transfer season.
Post #: 226
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/8/2019 12:13:30 PM   
TJSweens

Jeff, Soccer Made In Minnesota, is where I post Loons acquisitions and you crap all over them. Do our traditions mean nothing to you?

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 227
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/8/2019 12:15:54 PM   
Jeff Jesser

- Well played sir.
Post #: 228
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/8/2019 12:46:02 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Yeah, take that Arsenal crap to the European soccer thread.

As Duder was alluding to, the Loons have advanced to the U.S. Open Cup Championship game. Mason Toye continues to look like the emerging star. The kid looks like he has figured out at this level.

They also shelled out their biggest transfer fee ever to add 18 year old designated player Thomas Chacon of Uruguay. He is a midfielder and has played the last 2 years for Uruguay's first division. He is also on the 20U national team.

This is after signing attacking midfielder Robin Lod from the Finnish national team and the Greek super league and left fullback Wilfried Moimbe from France’s Ligue 2.

Jesus, somewhere along the line Sweens suddenly jumped up to SUPERSOCCERFAN status.

I'm not even mad, more like I'm impressed ....
Post #: 229
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/8/2019 12:56:24 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

Yeah, take that Arsenal crap to the European soccer thread.

As Duder was alluding to, the Loons have advanced to the U.S. Open Cup Championship game. Mason Toye continues to look like the emerging star. The kid looks like he has figured out at this level.

They also shelled out their biggest transfer fee ever to add 18 year old designated player Thomas Chacon of Uruguay. He is a midfielder and has played the last 2 years for Uruguay's first division. He is also on the 20U national team.

This is after signing attacking midfielder Robin Lod from the Finnish national team and the Greek super league and left fullback Wilfried Moimbe from France’s Ligue 2.

Jesus, somewhere along the line Sweens suddenly jumped up to SUPERSOCCERFAN status.

I'm not even mad, more like I'm impressed ....

I'm actually developing a little appreciation for it. It's still low on my list of preferred sports, but I can appreciate what these players are doing.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 230
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/8/2019 1:08:16 PM   
SoMnFan

Keep a spot open for me, K?
Couple more years of hockey suck, and I might start looking elsewhere for my fix.
Post #: 231
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/8/2019 5:30:06 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

Couple more years of hockey suck, and I might start looking elsewhere for my fix.

Hockey will never get sucky enough to be replaced. There's always the Wolves or New Trier! But, if you want to appreciate soccer in its truest form, watch some EPL or Serie A games. You might like it. maybe...
Post #: 232
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/8/2019 9:43:07 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

Not trying to sway you but the 2 sports are actually not that different.

1. Most people don't like them
2. Offside is the same concept just a bit different in where it can be applied
3. Both 'should' be low scoring and non stop up and down the "rink/pitch"

What turns people off about soccer is they don't watch the right team when they are new so they think it's boring. If you watch 2 shitty teams draw nill/nill, I agree. That sucks. But even a nill/nill game can be very exciting. Like hockey fans who see things happen before most, it's about how much you know/see.

If you don't see the little things that are happening before the big thing, it can be boring. To me, at least, that's a lot like hockey.

Agree/disagree with Joe about where to start if you are interested. Yes on the The Premier League (not saying my bias with Arsenal, just in general) but I'm a "no" on Serie A. It's too defensive minded for me. You have Juve and a bunch of JL Wild teams. It gets old to me quickly.

The other thing you have to be weary off with the Euro leagues is diving is more prevelant in some leagues. The PL has it, like all, but it's generally not as bad. The 'biggest' league in the world is probably La Liga (Spain) and I can't stand it. I want to jump in the TV everytime it's on and beat those guys about the head and neck. If you are going to fake shit, I might as well make it real
Post #: 233
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 10/31/2019 10:03:45 AM   
TJSweens

So in a mini post mortem, the Loons made the playoffs and got eliminated right away.

On the plus side:
Vito don Mannone and Ike Opara were named the league's best players at their positions. They were both also named first team, All League.

A couple of rookies, Mason Toye and Hassani Dotson made a big impact once they cracked the lineup.

The overhaul on defense was a big success as the Loons were the stingiest team in MLS.

Negatives:
The offense sputtered. Darwin Quintero went from our best player to our biggest disappointment. His production was down, his touches were down and he and Adrian Heath seemed to be at odds all season. I think part of it was that his game didn't mesh with Romain Métanire's. When Métanire came, he changed the dynamic and transitioning to offense. He would break up the play on the back end and routinely rush the length of the field with the ball and make the crossing pass into the goal areal. Quintero was cut out of the transition all together and he didn't adapt to it. The weird thing is that Romain Métanire was hands down our best individual player. I don't know that he really benefitted the Loons from a team standpoint. I would point out that the Loons played by far their best stretch of soccer for the year when Métanire was away, plying on his national team. Quintero and the rest of the offense picked up dramatically during that time with no drop off in defensive play. It will be interesting since it looks like Métanire will be brought back and they may cut ties with Quintero.

Abu Danladi? One can hardly call him a disappointment when one no longer has any expectations of him. The #1 over all pick because of his scoring prowess became a defensive substitute for Quintero.

Post #: 234
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 11/9/2019 1:19:53 PM   
joejitsu

EMERY OUT!!! Please, stop the insanity!
Post #: 235
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 11/9/2019 5:37:44 PM   
Jeff Jesser

He may actually be gone after that but it depends on if the Kroenke's even know we suck. I doubt they even pay attention.
Post #: 236
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 11/9/2019 6:07:26 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

He may actually be gone after that but it depends on if the Kroenke's even know we suck. I doubt they even pay attention.

True. As long as they sell tickets and finish in the top 8 or so, they are happy. The Gooner supporters were letting them have it during the match, and Kroenke was sitting with his head down. Embarrassing scene all around.
Post #: 237
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 11/10/2019 12:21:34 PM   
joejitsu

I just read that Emery is totally safe in his position as manager. The club will reevaluate his position at the end of the season. That appears to be upsetting the fans. I don't blame them.
Post #: 238
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 11/10/2019 6:06:51 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeap. It says we don't care about this year. It's a throw away year
Post #: 239
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 11/20/2019 8:46:37 AM   
twinsfan

I wouldn't change head coach after the first season.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 11/20/2019 9:05:14 AM >

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 240
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 11/20/2019 8:58:27 AM   
TJSweens

Again, you guys have your own Arsenal thread. Quit poop staining the Minnesota thread. Change the drop down to posts from the last 365 days and it will magically appear.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 11/20/2019 9:05:24 AM >

Post #: 241
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 11/20/2019 9:11:29 AM   
TJSweens

A couple of Minnesota United points.

United traded Darwin Quintero to Houston for a chunk allotment money. He just couldn't seem to mesh with the new talent that was brought in the off season.

United also lost former #1 overall pick Abu Danladi in the expansion draft. His career has been a series of hamstring and groin injuries interspersed with underachievement. He was drafted to be a scoring machine and by the end was a defensive substitution for the aforementioned Quintero. It didn't help matters that Mason Toye blew right by him on the depth chart and is developing into the scorer Danladi was supposed to be. The fatalistic Minnesota sports fan in me assumes that Danladi won't miss a game all season and lead the league in scoring.

Post #: 242
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 11/24/2019 3:54:52 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Again, you guys have your own Arsenal thread. Quit poop staining the Minnesota thread. Change the drop down to posts from the last 365 days and it will magically appear.

Those bastards messed with my head.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 243
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 12/2/2019 1:39:59 PM   
TJSweens

United has offered Vito don Mannone a multi year deal that would make him the highest paid goalie in MLS.

Post #: 244
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 12/2/2019 1:55:57 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Smart move on their part (assuming he accepts). Dude has international experience at the highest level and is still young enough for the position.
Post #: 245
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 1/9/2020 10:27:08 AM   
TJSweens

If the Loons can't get Vito don Manone to resign, they should try to get this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F9jXYOH2c0

Post #: 246
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 1/9/2020 7:03:29 PM   
TJSweens

Vito don Mannonne rejected the Loons offer. Damn.

Post #: 247
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 1/9/2020 9:00:02 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Damn, that does suck. I hope it's just a tactic on his part to get more because he's a damn good keeper for the MLS.
Post #: 248
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 1/9/2020 9:30:45 PM   
TJSweens

Sounds like it's over. United is moving onto other options.

Post #: 249
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 1/10/2020 10:07:12 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

Sounds like it's over. United is moving onto other options.

United or the Loons?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 250
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota & World Soccer >> RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode