Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2017 Training Camp

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2017 Training Camp Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/8/2017 8:44:28 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I think he (Albert) would want big bucks. I like that Hill is developing.

On another note, I heard Wobby on the radio expounding on my question to him: "What is the basis of your hope". Again he explained that our offensive line can't possibly be as bad as last year, especially with all of the injuries that we had. Even two seasons ago we won an NFC championship and he believes that our offensive line will be improved upon that one.

I'm wondering what to ask him next. Perhaps I should ask him if he sees Cook as a three down back and why he could do that and not McKinnon when he is only one pound heavier and one inch taller.

Because it isn't about size and weight it is about football skill.

And who is naturally at a weight vs built up to that weight (relatively)

Would you be implying that McKinnon got their by being a workout warrior while Cook is naturally the bigger man?

I'm not exactly saying that, but looking at the two Cook just looks like he would be tougher to tackle. Kind of hard to describe. Maybe it's just the beard.
Post #: 601
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/8/2017 8:45:08 PM   
kurt bilben

If these guys can keep Bradford fairly clean against our defense on any given day I think we have hope up front. Like they did today.
Post #: 602
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/8/2017 8:50:04 PM   
kurt bilben

Really interested to see Dalvin rip off a few big runs, catch a couple passes Thursday, and then get him the hell outta there.

Let Sankey work on getting a job somewhere.

< Message edited by kurt bilben -- 8/8/2017 8:53:35 PM >
Post #: 603
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/8/2017 9:29:52 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

quote:

I think he (Albert) would want big bucks. I like that Hill is developing.

On another note, I heard Wobby on the radio expounding on my question to him: "What is the basis of your hope". Again he explained that our offensive line can't possibly be as bad as last year, especially with all of the injuries that we had. Even two seasons ago we won an NFC championship and he believes that our offensive line will be improved upon that one.

I'm wondering what to ask him next. Perhaps I should ask him if he sees Cook as a three down back and why he could do that and not McKinnon when he is only one pound heavier and one inch taller.

you should ask him what he is smoking to believe we won an NFC championship two seasons ago...

Sorry. I was distracted when i finished my post. A guest arrived and I tried to finish it fast. NFC North championship, of course. How good was that line with Harris, Berger, Clemmings at RT, Kalil and Fusco? I recall Fusco played LG and was disappointing at that position. So, don't you all think that our offensive line should be better than that?

Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. (Helen Keller)
Post #: 604
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/8/2017 9:52:01 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

If these guys can keep Bradford fairly clean against our defense on any given day I think we have hope up front. Like they did today.

I would like to see our offense be as aggressive as our D. Especially philosophically.
If your D is great, why not be aggressive offensively?

I do think Zimmer is getting it. I think he needs to be more HC than DC. No reason why he isn't impacting the offense like he does the defense. He's a legit football freak. Attention to detail, ultra demanding. Knows the X's and O's. IMO, he has delegated too much. Put your stamp on this entire team.

The days of being okay with FG's, and turning the game over to your defense is a losing recipe.
Post #: 605
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/8/2017 10:32:22 PM   
Brad H

quote:

Really interested to see Dalvin rip off a few big runs, catch a couple passes Thursday, and then get him the hell outta there.

Let Sankey work on getting a job somewhere.

I doubt you'll see a lot of Cook. Maybe a series or two.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 606
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/9/2017 4:18:16 AM   
Bruce Johnson

These first preseason games are like watching football in deep mud. Not much happens. Everything is vanilla and you have a lot of new guys in the game making mistakes. Nevertheless, I'm looking for new players that stand out in all of the mess.

Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. (Helen Keller)
Post #: 607
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/9/2017 6:53:22 AM   
Brad H

quote:

These first preseason games are like watching football in deep mud. Not much happens. Everything is vanilla and you have a lot of new guys in the game making mistakes. Nevertheless, I'm looking for new players that stand out in all of the mess.

Not gonna lie, I'm just happy to be watching football.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 608
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/9/2017 8:13:45 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thomas O. Eliason

quote:

I do believe we are sitting on the most awesome Vikings defense ever.

They've got awfully big shoes to fill with '69, '70 and '75.

I'd be pleased as punch if they ever just get honorable mention with that group.

Don't forget Doleman, Millard, Thomas, Noga....and I see 88 mentioned.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 8/9/2017 8:19:33 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 609
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/9/2017 8:39:31 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

I would like to see our offense be as aggressive as our D. Especially philosophically.

I do think Zimmer is getting it. I think he needs to be more HC than DC. No reason why he isn't impacting the offense like he does the defense. He's a legit football freak. Attention to detail, ultra demanding. Knows the X's and O's. IMO, he has delegated too much. Put your stamp on this entire team.

The days of being okay with FG's, and turning the game over to your defense is a losing recipe.

With a Defense as stout as ours our offense should be more about moving the chains and maintaining possession and minimizing turnovers. Keep the chains moving. Scoring too quickly sometimes can be detrimental in that the Defense isn't off the field long enough to get enough rest to be as effective the next time they are on the field. It's nice to take shots and be aggressive But the offense should be more about extending drives.

It is the Patriots blueprint (and as much as I hate the Patriots, you have to respect their success).

In 2016, Clinton's underlying (and sometimes overlying) message was something like this: Trump is awful and you will never vote for him. And I am the only other person running for president.
Post #: 610
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/9/2017 9:12:30 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Lets just get something out of the offense for a change. Last years quick start was because of a tornado by our D and ST's. They both scored TD's and then we hung on. Once that inevitably dried up, we started losing.

We almost kept it going in the Philly game but Sendejo and Barr couldn't quite get it done. Had they, who knows how that train would have kept rolling.
Post #: 611
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/9/2017 9:15:27 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Lets just get something out of the offense for a change. Last years quick start was because of a tornado by our D and ST's. They both scored TD's and then we hung on. Once that inevitably dried up, we started losing.

We almost kept it going in the Philly game but Sendejo and Barr couldn't quite get it done. Had they, who knows how that train would have kept rolling.

And maybe Norv would still be here? I can't wait for that book to come out
Post #: 612
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/9/2017 9:25:24 AM   
kurt bilben

quote:

Eventually we were cooked with that atrocious OLine. We were never going anywhere when your weakest link is that bad.

We've improved with playmaking ability both through acquisitions, and another year for the young players, and Bradford having a whole offseason with these receivers, but it still comes down to how well we pass pro/ run block.

But yes, offensive improvement would be huge.
Post #: 613
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/9/2017 9:36:30 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

JMO but no. There was something really jacked up behind the scenes for that situation to play out the way it did. Wasn't going to last.
Post #: 614
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/9/2017 9:39:01 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

Eventually we were cooked with that atrocious OLine. We were never going anywhere when your weakest link is that bad.

We've improved with playmaking ability both through acquisitions, and another year for the young players, and Bradford having a whole offseason with these receivers, but it still comes down to how well we pass pro/ run block.

But yes, offensive improvement would be huge.

Agree. We ultimately were going to fail but if we run away with that Philly win (as it was looking for the first half) who knows. The confidence of that team would have been through the roof.

I think, and again, JMO, that was the moment they knew they didn't have horses and the whole team just deflated.
Post #: 615
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/9/2017 9:48:26 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

JMO but no. There was something really jacked up behind the scenes for that situation to play out the way it did. Wasn't going to last.

Oh I agree. He makes it through the year it's over with less controversy - nbd, time to string together a good one!
Post #: 616
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/9/2017 12:18:45 PM   
joejitsu

Will Anthony Barr get inked to a big deal before long? Sounds like he's looking very good right now, but he gets banged up a lot.
Post #: 617
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/9/2017 12:43:15 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

With a Defense as stout as ours our offense should be more about moving the chains and maintaining possession and minimizing turnovers. Keep the chains moving. Scoring too quickly sometimes can be detrimental in that the Defense isn't off the field long enough to get enough rest to be as effective the next time they are on the field. It's nice to take shots and be aggressive But the offense should be more about extending drives.

It is the Patriots blueprint (and as much as I hate the Patriots, you have to respect their success).

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 618
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/9/2017 1:19:26 PM   
shakeywalton

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly, last thing you want to do if you have a great defense is to put them in a bad spot with dumb turnovers.
Post #: 619
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/9/2017 1:26:30 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: shakeywalton

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly, last thing you want to do if you have a great defense is to put them in a bad spot with dumb turnovers.

I'm sure the 2000 Ravens defense would have loved it if the offense scored quickly and got them out to any sizeable lead. The season would have been a cakewalk.
Post #: 620
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/9/2017 1:32:05 PM   
shakeywalton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm sure the 2000 Ravens defense would have loved it if the offense scored quickly and got them out to any sizeable lead. The season would have been a cakewalk.

And they would have loved it even more if their offense took chances all over the field and left the defense with regular short fields to defend.
Post #: 621
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/9/2017 1:38:25 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And they would have loved it even more if their offense took chances all over the field and left the defense with regular short fields to defend.

Scoring quickly will never be a problem for a good defense. A good defense will dictate the game. Get them he lead and game over. I don't think anyone said we should turn it over and put the defense on short fields. You can have a good offense and score plenty of points without turning the ball over.
Post #: 622
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/9/2017 1:39:27 PM   
Bill Jandro

After watching an inept offense last season. Scoring too quickly would be a welcome sight.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 623
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/9/2017 1:40:39 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

After watching an inept offense last season. Scoring too quickly would be a welcome sight.

Exactly! I'm not longing to see us turn into the Jeff Hostetler Giants in this day and age.
Post #: 624
RE: 2017 Training Camp - 8/9/2017 1:46:09 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Scoring quickly will never be a problem for a good defense. A good defense will dictate the game. Get them he lead and game over. I don't think anyone said we should turn it over and put the defense on short fields. You can have a good offense and score plenty of points without turning the ball over.

Absolutely.

Score quickly and your defense is going to get even more chances at turnovers as the opponent will be in "comeback mode".

The only time you can score too quickly is if its the end of the game and you need to rundown the clock to preserve a win.
Post #: 625
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2017 Training Camp Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode