Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2017 5:05:24 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Luke Inman‏ @Luke_Spinman

T. Bower looks like the real deal.. Pass rush, defending the run, pass deflection... Long arms/Quick get off for Zimmer to mold

I heard that Spielman was annoyed by getting sniped at the better undrafted free agents, and so he has made it a practice to acquire extra seventh rounders and when he goes to free agency, he identifies the players he wants the most and offers extra money to them. Bower was one of those players.

I haven't heard who has been awarded the "Mr. Mankato" title, but he certainly deserves consideration.

i read that hunter, who knows bower from lsu, recommended that he join the vikings....

LSU defensive end Tashawn Bower got the most guaranteed money, in the form of a $15,000 signing bonus and $30,000 guarantee. Southern Mississippi defensive tackle Dylan Bradley got a $15,000 bonus and $25,000 guaranteed.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/77530/vikings-gave-85k-in-bonuses-107-5k-in-guaranteed-salary-to-udfas

Dylan Bradley is another player to keep an eye, I believe.

“Baseball is 90 percent mental. The other half is physical.” –Yogi Berra
Post #: 151
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2017 5:11:32 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

Vikings just need another runner since they don't have to make any cuts until after the 4th preseason game. Its a good opportunity for Cobb to show someone he can be a short yardage back.

I could care less if we sign him. Means nothing to our actual depth, beyond him being on the team means we don't have to run Murray, Cook or Jet during every offensive snap in the preseason.

Cook needs a lot of preseason snaps. I think Zimmer understands his mistakes with Peterson.

Personally, I hope Cook gets a shit ton of work in the preseason.

One knock on Cook was that he had a lot of mileage in college and running backs seem to have mileage limitations. I don't want to go too crazy with him during the preseason. For one thing, I certainly want him to not play during the fourth preseason game. I'd rather he stayed a little more on the fresh side going into the marathon of the 16 game season and hopefully a longer postseason. If they use him in the second and third games like they did the first I would be good.

These are young men. Physically gifted, strong young men.
That 16 game "wall" is a myth.
Players have byes, off days, and state of the art rehab/training/diets at their disposal.
Everyone is tired the day after a game.
After that only the old guys should be feeling it, not a 21 year old who plays less than 2 dozen games a year.

He needs the work.

How many games do they play in college compared to the pros? It's possible to play as many as 20 games as a pro in one NFL season. That's one thing. Then there's the practice schedule. In college they are also students, but as pros they have a lot more workouts and practices. Here's an article written by a former player that seems to confirm what I am saying:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1327444-is-the-nfl-rookie-wall-real-or-just-a-myth

But just to be fair and also honest, I found this, which supports that the rookie wall is a myth.

https://www.4for4.com/fantasy-football/rookie-rb-wall

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 8/12/2017 5:24:53 PM >

Post #: 152
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2017 5:16:26 PM   
Art

He writes a nice article.
He also played in 4 games as a rookie.
Not buying in myself, but hey, it's a good excuse for those who need one.

What happened?
Post #: 153
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2017 5:18:07 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

Luke Inman‏ @Luke_Spinman

T. Bower looks like the real deal.. Pass rush, defending the run, pass deflection... Long arms/Quick get off for Zimmer to mold

I heard that Spielman was annoyed by getting sniped at the better undrafted free agents, and so he has made it a practice to acquire extra seventh rounders and when he goes to free agency, he identifies the players he wants the most and offers extra money to them. Bower was one of those players.

I haven't heard who has been awarded the "Mr. Mankato" title, but he certainly deserves consideration.

i read that hunter, who knows bower from lsu, recommended that he join the vikings....

LSU defensive end Tashawn Bower got the most guaranteed money, in the form of a $15,000 signing bonus and $30,000 guarantee. Southern Mississippi defensive tackle Dylan Bradley got a $15,000 bonus and $25,000 guaranteed.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/77530/vikings-gave-85k-in-bonuses-107-5k-in-guaranteed-salary-to-udfas

Dylan Bradley is another player to keep an eye, I believe.

i had read something like that...it still seems relatively inexpensive considering what you get....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 154
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2017 5:27:22 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

You might be right. I would like to offer one more reason to hold back the reps that a rookie running back gets in preseason if he will be the starter: running backs get hurt at a high rate. In fact, we lost one for the season the other day.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 8/12/2017 5:46:00 PM >

Post #: 155
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2017 6:07:24 PM   
Art

quote:

quote:

You might be right. I would like to offer one more reason to hold back the reps that a rookie running back gets in preseason if he will be the starter: running backs get hurt at a high rate. In fact, we lost one for the season the other day.

That's always a concern (injury) but in reality if a RB is in for 600 snaps during a calendar year, the risk is the same across all the snaps.
Bottom line should be does he need the work?
Not whether he could be injured.
Going into real games healthy but unprepared is not ideal either.

What happened?
Post #: 156
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2017 9:04:18 PM   
Ian Joseph

In fairness, he's not going to get the kind of work you think he needs, Art. The defense isn't going to throw anything significant at him, so his learning curve will be steeper in practice and during the regular season, when defenses start disguising pressure and blitzes.

Cook should play his appropriate amount, which us through the first quarter against Seattle, and then the first half against the 49ers. I don't need to see him in the 4th game against the Dolphins.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 157
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2017 11:03:15 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I have heard that the starters only need two preseason games; that there are four games for the owners to make money and the development and selection of the backups. My opinion is that that is especially true for running backs. Rookie running backs play a lot in game one. If they need extra work it's in recognizing their blocking assignments.

Post #: 158
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2017 11:33:33 PM   
Art

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

In fairness, he's not going to get the kind of work you think he needs, Art. The defense isn't going to throw anything significant at him, so his learning curve will be steeper in practice and during the regular season, when defenses start disguising pressure and blitzes.

Cook should play his appropriate amount, which us through the first quarter against Seattle, and then the first half against the 49ers. I don't need to see him in the 4th game against the Dolphins.

I don't know what kind of work he needs, but whatever it is, the amount he gets shouldn't be determined by injury risk or rookie walls.

What happened?
Post #: 159
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2017 11:41:24 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Collegiate players don't have the benefit of four preseason games.

Post #: 160
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2017 4:10:15 AM   
Dana Turner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

I just love this time of year.... just like last year and the year before that.. first preseason game and half the board is ready to look at 2018 draft picks.. and have written off the season..

My sentiments exactly, thanks Dan,

You know its funny, every year the same stuff happens in training camp and preseason. The defense is alwasy ahead of the offense, it's just the way it works. Especially the offensive line, where we only have really two guys that played pretty much the entire year, but even they spent time out of the lineup. TC and preseason are the times used to start that chemistry, why isn't anyone talking about how our defensive line pounded the Bills offensive line. Other than a few good runs where we either ran ourselves out of the play or we failed to fill our gaps, the defense outplayed the offense for both teams, no big surprise. We are suppose to have things to work on after the first preseason game. OK, so guys have work to do, it looks like we are finding out that Hill can play, Isadora looks like a good pick, the rest of the guys have had good and bad moments as they work on the chemistry needed to form a good unit. Rief had an unfortunate setback, we have to hope he can move forward from here and not miss any more time. Really, this went about how we should expect. It was the first really live contact for both teams and it looked that way.

Things will get better, it's the natural progression all teams experience this time of year. Lots of work to be done and we've got time to get it in, lets get to work.
Post #: 161
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2017 6:31:42 AM   
JC2015

I can't agree with that one coach

1. I watch other teams around the league and their offenses are not behind

2. We say this every year about the Vikings and then our offense goes out and underperforms in the regular season

Forget about points scored, our offense will not be good if the offensive line performs like it did

Further, we have no reason other than blind hope to believe it is better. We added journeymen, not studs

If the Vikings don't make the playoffs this year Zimmer and Spielman should be gone
Post #: 162
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2017 7:44:48 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I noticed on another play that Remmers completely dominated his line foe on a passing play. The problem with offensive line play is that you can do that for 90% of the plays and still have a terrible game giving up three sacks. Consistency matters so much. That being said, one play or one series in the preseason does not make a season and there is reason to believe that the offensive line play can improve over the course of the season since it is acknowledged by everyone that it takes more time for the offensive line to come together. Obviously, the offensive line is our Achilles heel. There's no denying that, but I do believe that we can win even if we don't have elite offensive linemen. If they can come together and return at least to the "mean", then I believe that our team can be a serious team for contention. I am especially hopeful in that the selection in the draft of a center and guard seem to be solid choices.

It is the preseason and it's a time to be hopeful.

Post #: 163
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2017 8:54:05 AM   
Tom Sykes

There's reason for hope and great concern but its blind hope or blind negativism to declare what we have right now because we just don't know ... yet. That declaration is only based on your inclinations.

New players, new coordinator, new scheme. It is a process whether you want to acknowledge it or not.
Post #: 164
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2017 9:04:45 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

There's reason for hope and great concern but its blind hope or blind negativism to declare what we have right now because we just don't know ... yet. That declaration is only based on your inclinations.

New players, new coordinator, new scheme. It is a process whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

So some will wait and see and some will jump off that bridge.

Billlll, NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - SPLASH! -
Post #: 165
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2017 9:09:55 AM   
JTC2017

quote:

The players brought in, especially for the offensive line, are mediocre players

It is unreasonable to EXPECT the line to get significantly better when you add mediocre players

Even if you add studs, you still have to worry about them blending together

We need a stronger and more effective commitmment to building an offensive line

2016 Vikings Defense: "You can't throw passes from your ass!"
Post #: 166
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2017 10:15:12 AM   
Todd M

The simple truth is there are other sides right now looking at their competent OL's and reasonable offensive play makers and frustrated as hell that their FO can't put together something on any one of the 3 tiers of defensive to stop anyone.

We have shiny stars at all 3 levels of defense. We drafted and went after an at least serviceable QB, both with pros and cons, supporters and detractors, but real decent shots at franchise QB's. We've tried to keep the RB position manned by top stock, and we have WR's and TE's. We haven't had much success with OL. It's a whole different ball game if we got our 10 + year LT when we were in position - but we didn't and haven't had much luck along the way. So the argument is resources - and if we had spent them on OL you have to start thinning down the positions that they've locked down - that other teams covet.

The team that finally wins the big one will probably not have an exact winning formula to copy because they checked off box x, y, or z, it will be a team that puts it together at the right time, has some lucky bounces, and a good run of health/adequate backups.

All this wringing of hands is fan fluff. It doesn't mean anything because no one has control, or any real idea of what it will take to land a championship.

The 2017 Vikings will be who they'll be and I'm ready to ride with them.

Have you seen Todd, and It?

Yeah, saw them rolling together. They're together all the time now.
Post #: 167
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2017 10:24:09 AM   
SoMnFan

Great stuff Todd.
Everyones going to show up for their games this year, like they always do.
Gotta keep adapting and improving and moving forward.
Excited to get rolling.
Post #: 168
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2017 10:26:43 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: JTC2017

quote:

It is unreasonable to EXPECT the line to get significantly better when you add mediocre players

Carolina got to the SB with some very average OL that included Remmers. IMO Reiff is a solid (not spectacular, not mediocre) OT but (if he ever gets healthy) will be a strong improvement over last year. We do not know what we have yet. There are 'studs' that go to new teams and don't fit in, there are average players that get plugged into the right system that play well. The stud/mediocre labels only work to a point.

It is unreasonable to EXPECT to not improve this year with so much change invested in improving over last year. We made a very strong commitment / investment of resources to building a better OL this year. I wish the FA market and draft pool had been stronger but we fished around and did what we could without ignoring all our other needs.

Its a shame it took the horrible experience last year to get to the epiphany of how important a solid OL is.

Its also a shame it may take time to see actual improvement. We ALL want it sooner than later.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 8/13/2017 10:27:49 AM >
Post #: 169
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2017 12:35:58 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

So some will wait and see and some will jump off that bridge.

Billlll, NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! - SPLASH! -

Better than - THUD! -, I guess.

Or - SQWOOSH! -
Post #: 170
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2017 1:32:57 PM   
BigSky

All that I'm looking for from preseason games is an inkling of improvement from our weakest areas of last year. I'm not expecting us to go out

and blow up the oppositions defensive line, or for our defense to stop every running play behind the line of scrimmage, but the coaches know it

the players know it, we know it, and an entire off season of dedicated scheming, planning, finding players, finding the right coaches, spending

money, practicing,working on technique, sweat, blood, tears ect...ect...ect. I'm just waiting for a little grape, or a pomegranate seed to fall in

our basket, to show some semblance of fruit. But for now it'll have to wait till Friday, and maybe, just maybe we can get a grape seed stuck

between our teeth.

< Message edited by BigSky -- 8/13/2017 1:34:18 PM >

Coming up the Season of: "UNDERDOG INDUCEMENT"
Post #: 171
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2017 1:33:48 PM   
JC2015

quote:

quote:

quote:

Carolina got to the SB with some very average OL that included Remmers. IMO Reiff is a solid (not spectacular, not mediocre) OT but (if he ever gets healthy) will be a strong improvement over last year. We do not know what we have yet. There are 'studs' that go to new teams and don't fit in, there are average players that get plugged into the right system that play well. The stud/mediocre labels only work to a point.

It is unreasonable to EXPECT to not improve this year with so much change invested in improving over last year. We made a very strong commitment / investment of resources to building a better OL this year. I wish the FA market and draft pool had been stronger but we fished around and did what we could without ignoring all our other needs.

Its a shame it took the horrible experience last year to get to the epiphany of how important a solid OL is.

Its also a shame it may take time to see actual improvement. We ALL want it sooner than later.

Cam Newton is 3X the QB of Sam Bradford

Let's not kid ourselves

3837 passing yards
35 passing TDs
10 INTs
99.4 passer rating
636 yards rushig
10 rushing TDs

Can we expect ~4500 yards and 45 TDs from Sam?

If the Vikings don't make the playoffs this year Zimmer and Spielman should be gone
Post #: 172
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2017 1:51:43 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: JC2015
quote:

quote:

quote:

Let's not kid ourselves
3837 passing yards
35 passing TDs
10 INTs
99.4 passer rating
636 yards rushig
10 rushing TDs

I remember those type of seasons from RC and Favre in there upper 30s and 40s with very good talent all over....Sam has to improve this year but Cam didn't win the Super Bowl even with those stats. I remember old rag arm Peyton winning that one.

We don't need Sam to score 45 TDs. We need him to get this offense to 25-27 points a game. The defense is good enough to win almost every game we score over 21.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 173
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2017 1:56:17 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I would settle for 4000 yards from Sam, an improved running game and a rock solid defense that turns the ball over and even scores now and then. I don't believe our team has seen a 4000 yard passing season since Favre in 2009. If the team actually improves over the course of the season it could be a tough out in the playoffs.

Post #: 174
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2017 2:00:13 PM   
JC2015

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: JC2015
quote:

quote:

quote:

Let's not kid ourselves
3837 passing yards
35 passing TDs
10 INTs
99.4 passer rating
636 yards rushig
10 rushing TDs

I remember those type of seasons from RC and Favre in there upper 30s and 40s with very good talent all over....Sam has to improve this year but Cam didn't win the Super Bowl even with those stats. I remember old rag arm Peyton winning that one.

We don't need Sam to score 45 TDs. We need him to get this offense to 25-27 points a game. The defense is good enough to win almost every game we score over 21.

No matter how you slice it, you need a career year from Bradford - behind a bad line - just to have a chance at the SB

Think about that

Post #: 175
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode