Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Other Sports >> RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 11/30/2017 11:09:30 AM   
bgdavis

Current forecast is 50 degrees with WSW wind at 7. With the orientation of Blakeslee stadium (open from NW to SE) that will likely make wind much less of a factor than it has been for the previous 2 playoff games where the wind definitely disrupted the passing and kicking. I was actually hoping they might get the wind tunnel going once again to help shutdown Commerce's offense which is almost entirely passing and little to no running. If the crowd is the 12th man, the wind is probably 13th+ in that stadium depending on how strong it's blowing.

Heimdall kept the “ringing” horn, Gjallarhorn, which could be heard throughout heaven, earth, and the lower world; he would sound the horn to summon the gods when their enemies drew near.
(Norse mythology)
Post #: 101
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 12/2/2017 3:03:41 PM   
bgdavis

Mavs magical season comes to an end. Commerce beat them 31-21. Mavs had the lead at half-time 18-13, but just could not sustain any drives in the 2nd half. The Commerce OLine is impressive - didn't give up a single sack, and their QB had all day to throw. Hard to win when you can't put any pressure on the opposing QB.

Heimdall kept the “ringing” horn, Gjallarhorn, which could be heard throughout heaven, earth, and the lower world; he would sound the horn to summon the gods when their enemies drew near.
(Norse mythology)
Post #: 102
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 12/2/2017 3:27:19 PM   
SoMnFan

Damnnnn
Was hoping for some TV time

Great season tho! Congrats!
Post #: 103
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 12/11/2017 9:48:24 AM   
bgdavis

Commerce won their next round game pretty handily 31-17 over Harding. Next they will be playing West Florida (an unranked 10-3 team) for the whole D2 enchilada, and Commerce should be heavily favored to win. If the Mavs had won last week, I think they would have matched up very well against Harding and won as well, and had a good shot at beating West Florida. I'm rooting for Commerce to win it all, since then it means that the Mavs were potentially just 1 win away from winning it all themselves.

I also saw a post on the D2 forums that Mav's coach Hoffner discussed after the game how poor the Mav's tackling was in the Commerce game. They had 26 missed tackles on defense and another 11 on special teams, including some key misses on the punt return TD that swung the momentum back to Commerce's favor in the 3rd quarter. That number of missed tackles was very uncharacteristic for the team, and the tackling had been very solid during the season the prior 2 playoff games. Part of that is likely due to the Commerce players being better at breaking tackles, but the coach felt that overall the D and ST units just didn't have their usual games. I suppose it could partly be the length of the season finally catching up to them. It's not often that college teams end up playing 14 games in a season (or up to 16 if they reach the title game).

(Norse mythology)
Post #: 104
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 12/17/2017 1:18:33 AM   
bgdavis

As expected, Commerce beat West Florida 37-27 to win the D2 National Championship. Going into the playoffs, many of the articles and interviews I saw seemed to think that whichever team won the D4 super region would likely be the team to win it all, and that's exactly what happened. If Mankato could have beaten Commerce, the Mavs could be the team basking in the limelight instead. The good news is that the Mavs have a very young team with lots of Sophomores and Freshman that were starting, and those players are likely to continue to get better over the next years. They should have at least a 2 year window for solid chances at a national title.

(Norse mythology)
Post #: 105
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 12/17/2017 1:33:08 AM   
bgdavis

I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of Commerce players end up in the NFL. They've got a great OLine, and one of them, Jared Machorro, seems likely to get a look from teams trying to beef up their lines. Their QB, Luis Perez, is an accurate pocket passer.

(Norse mythology)
Post #: 106
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 12/17/2017 6:06:58 AM   
SoMnFan

Looking good for the Mavs, indeed.
Didn't expect the SDSU Jacks to get boat-raced today by JMU.
Didn't expect a win, but thought it'd be a game. It wasn't.
TEN turnovers by the Jacks. TEN. That's unheard of. The QB was responsible for NINE of them.
OUCH.
Post #: 107
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Other Sports >> RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode