Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2018 Free Agents

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 Free Agents Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/4/2018 1:48:35 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

I'm guessing he only signs it if they have a deal in place for a trade that he likes. If not, he won't sign it IMO.

Can other teams negotiate with a player who hasn't signed the franchise tag? Or does he have to sign it 1st?
Post #: 76
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/4/2018 1:52:17 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Good question. Not sure but I'm 'guessing' there can be a gentlemen's deal in place with both teams that the player is well aware of so nobody gets screwed. Just a guess though.
Post #: 77
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/4/2018 1:56:08 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Good question. Not sure but I'm 'guessing' there can be a gentlemen's deal in place with both teams that the player is well aware of so nobody gets screwed. Just a guess though.

I'm also guessing the other team will only give up a 3rd rounder at the most for him. Washington doesn't have the leverage to demand the two 1st rounders.
Post #: 78
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/4/2018 2:41:01 PM   
kurt bilben

Washington isn’t tagging Cousins..

Crazy talk.

Is Adrian Peterson their new spokesperson?
Post #: 79
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/4/2018 7:43:49 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

Crazy talk.

I wouldn't put anything past that bizarre owner they have.
Post #: 80
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/4/2018 11:07:41 PM   
Mark Anderson

Malcolm Butler for nickelback.
Post #: 81
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/4/2018 11:43:57 PM   
69in09

quote:

I'm guessing he only signs it if they have a deal in place for a trade that he likes. If not, he won't sign it IMO.

This.

This is my burner account.
Post #: 82
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/4/2018 11:46:21 PM   
69in09

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Can other teams negotiate with a player who hasn't signed the franchise tag? Or does he have to sign it 1st?

With that teams permission. Cousins is still a Redskin until the new year starts. This is how Alex Smith's new contract is already done.

Post #: 83
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/4/2018 11:50:37 PM   
69in09

quote:

Crazy talk.

I think the possibility of that is very low. However they could basically barter his exclusive negotiating rights prior to the franchise window closing. IF Cousins has a specific, preferred team.

Post #: 84
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/5/2018 12:01:03 AM   
Mark Anderson

Starting to get on the Cousins bandwagon.
Post #: 85
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/5/2018 9:45:33 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: 69in09

quote:

Crazy talk.

I think the possibility of that is very low. However they could basically barter his exclusive negotiating rights prior to the franchise window closing. IF Cousins has a specific, preferred team.

The only way I could see this happening is if Snyder decides to be a dick over it. Unfortunately, history has shown that is pretty much what he is. The problem for him is that Cousins can turn around and make it just as bad for Snyder.

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it. - Harold Kaese
Post #: 86
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/5/2018 9:48:29 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Snyder won't block anything over him. He's already vilified within that fan base. They just want to move on from Kirk Cousins and never look back. It's crazy how alienating he let that situation get.
Post #: 87
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/5/2018 10:11:30 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Crazy talk.

The only way I could see this happening is if Snyder decides to be a dick over it. Unfortunately, history has shown that is pretty much what he is. The problem for him is that Cousins can turn around and make it just as bad for Snyder.

They traded for then extended Alex Smith. They are not going to tag Cousins unless they really want to handcuff themselves to salary cap hell. It would be as dumb a move as there is.

Cousins is a free agent as of the beginning of March or so.

All of us are entitled to our own opinion. None of us are entitled to our own facts. - Alan Page
Post #: 88
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/5/2018 10:33:33 AM   
ronhextall

Would be hilarious if Washington tagged Cousins and then couldn't trade him. It would never happen but ROFLMAO it would be great.
Post #: 89
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/5/2018 1:26:48 PM   
drviking

Tight End: Tyler Eifert
4 of 12

Joe Robbins/Getty Images

While Matthews had injury concerns, Tyler Eifert will probably make his future team's general manager and head coach give up on sleep altogether.

Hoping the tight end can stay healthy hasn't ended well for a while. He hasn't played a full 16-game season since he entered the league in 2013, and he has missed 41 of a possible 80 regular-season games. Worse, Eifert has been on the field for just 10 games since the beginning of the 2016 campaign.

Over that two-year stretch, he's needed two back surgeries. That's beyond a red flag—being carved up twice often leads to a white flag.

If Eifert were in his early 30s, his career might be winding toward an unfortunate injury-induced conclusion. He'll only be 27 years old when free agency begins, however, which means it's much easier for a team in need of a tight end to talk itself into Eifert, especially since he might be limited to a one-year deal while trying to re-establish his value.

Eifert has proved he can be a red-zone behemoth when healthy by scoring 18 touchdowns during a 21-game stretch during the 2015 and 2016 seasons. He earned a Pro Bowl selection in 2015 with 52 receptions for 615 yards and 13 touchdowns, all while missing three games.

It won't cost much for a team to take the chance he'll return to his 2015 form. If he ends 2018 on injured reserve again, the sting won't last long either.

Projected contract (average annual value): $3 million

--------------------------

i suspect the annual value to be more like 7 million

YMMV

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 90
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/5/2018 1:31:54 PM   
marty

Eifert sounds a little like Jeffery with the Bears, injury prone, possibly because he was on a team that knew wasn't going anywhere, and was hoping to get out.
Post #: 91
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/5/2018 1:45:29 PM   
drviking

any interest in Josh Gordon?

Vikings seem to have a decent support system for addiction issues

keep him away from the tea, though

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 92
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/5/2018 3:16:55 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I am. We don't have the Norv connection anymore, but still I think he's very talented. Worth an audition during training camp.

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 93
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/6/2018 5:19:50 PM   
Pager

I'd kick the tires on Gordon.

Love the idea of looking at Eifert. When healthy, he is a beast. Worth a flyer if his medical record checks out.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 94
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/6/2018 6:20:49 PM   
twinsfan

Why WOULDN'T the team in DC franchise Cousins? Seems like a no-brainer.

-------------------
Post #: 95
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/6/2018 6:26:50 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Because 57M is a lot to spend on the QB position...
Post #: 96
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/6/2018 7:43:20 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Too much risk for too little gain.

All Cousins has to do is not sign the tender until March 14th and Redskins would have to be in cap compliance by that date. Meaning they'd already be over the cap and have to cut or renegotiate contracts just to be in compliance. Not to mention putting them behind the 8 ball with free agents they want to sign.

And all for what? They'll already get a 3rd round compensation pick.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35547/numerous-obstacles-will-hinder-redskins-ability-to-trade-kirk-cousins

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 97
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/6/2018 9:14:24 PM   
69in09

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

quote:

All Cousins has to do is not sign the tender until March 14th and Redskins would have to be in cap compliance by that date. Meaning they'd already be over the cap and have to cut or renegotiate contracts just to be in compliance. Not to mention putting them behind the 8 ball with free agents they want to sign.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35547/numerous-obstacles-will-hinder-redskins-ability-to-trade-kirk-cousins

The Redskins have plenty of cap space to do it. They are set to have $36M in space before any cuts approaching the "new league year". That amount already includes Smith's 21M that won't go on their books until he is offically traded to them in the "new year".

Once the new league year begins on March 14th you can go over the cap. You just have to be back under it by June 1st.

I'm not saying they should do it, just that they wouldn't tie themselves up by doing so.

Post #: 98
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/6/2018 9:49:41 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Redskins have plenty of cap space to do it. They are set to have $36M in space before any cuts approaching the "new league year". That amount already includes Smith's 21M that won't go on their books until he is offically traded to them in the "new year".

Once the new league year begins on March 14th you can go over the cap. You just have to be back under it by June 1st.

I'm not saying they should do it, just that they wouldn't tie themselves up by doing so.

I'm sure Dan Snyder is thinking the same thing.
Post #: 99
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/6/2018 9:57:18 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

They have 18 other free agents besides Cousins that they might want to try and re-sign.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 Free Agents Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode