Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2018 Free Agents

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 Free Agents Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/6/2018 10:19:37 PM   
69in09

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: 69in09

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Why WOULDN'T the team in DC franchise Cousins? Seems like a no-brainer.

Because 57M is a lot to spend on the QB position...

Too much risk for too little gain.

All Cousins has to do is not sign the tender until March 14th and Redskins would have to be in cap compliance by that date. Meaning they'd already be over the cap and have to cut or renegotiate contracts just to be in compliance. Not to mention putting them behind the 8 ball with free agents they want to sign.

And all for what? They'll already get a 3rd round compensation pick.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35547/numerous-obstacles-will-hinder-redskins-ability-to-trade-kirk-cousins

The Redskins have plenty of cap space to do it. They are set to have $36M in space before any cuts approaching the "new league year". That amount already includes Smith's 21M that won't go on their books until he is offically traded to them in the "new year".

Once the new league year begins on March 14th you can go over the cap. You just have to be back under it by June 1st.

I'm not saying they should do it, just that they wouldn't tie themselves up by doing so.

They have 18 other free agents besides Cousins that they might want to try and re-sign.

As I said you can go over the cap to sign players in that window. So the money isn't the issue.

I'm certain some team would give up a lot more than a 3rd rounder to have exclusive negotiating rights to him.

So really the only risk, IMO would be the PR hit.

This is my burner account.
Post #: 101
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/6/2018 10:35:23 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Why WOULDN'T the team in DC franchise Cousins? Seems like a no-brainer.

Because 57M is a lot to spend on the QB position...

Too much risk for too little gain.

All Cousins has to do is not sign the tender until March 14th and Redskins would have to be in cap compliance by that date. Meaning they'd already be over the cap and have to cut or renegotiate contracts just to be in compliance. Not to mention putting them behind the 8 ball with free agents they want to sign.

And all for what? They'll already get a 3rd round compensation pick.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35547/numerous-obstacles-will-hinder-redskins-ability-to-trade-kirk-cousins

The Redskins have plenty of cap space to do it. They are set to have $36M in space before any cuts approaching the "new league year". That amount already includes Smith's 21M that won't go on their books until he is offically traded to them in the "new year".

Once the new league year begins on March 14th you can go over the cap. You just have to be back under it by June 1st.

I'm not saying they should do it, just that they wouldn't tie themselves up by doing so.

They have 18 other free agents besides Cousins that they might want to try and re-sign.

As I said you can go over the cap to sign players in that window. So the money isn't the issue.

I'm certain some team would give up a lot more than a 3rd rounder to have exclusive negotiating rights to him.

So really the only risk, IMO would be the PR hit.

And Cousins is all pissed about it, and refuses to sign a contract.
Post #: 102
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/6/2018 10:41:43 PM   
drviking

I dont believe you can be over the salary cap at anytime.

You can cut players with a June 1st designation to spread the cap hit over two years

But to say you can float over the salary cap until then...

I don't believe that to be the case

I might try to find a link

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 103
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/6/2018 10:44:53 PM   
drviking

Franchise or Transition Tag – any player who receives the Franchise or Transition Tag (other than the Exclusive Franchise Tag) is still technically a Free Agent, but is restricted by the Tag. A player under the Tag does count against the Salary Cap, at the amount of the Franchise or Transition Tag tender amount.

Do unsigned Draft picks count against the Salary Cap?

Yes, once drafted, draft picks are assigned a tender equal to the rookie minimum salary for that year. For 2017 that amount is $465K. That tender amount is replaced by the player’s actual Salary Cap number once the draft pick signs his rookie contract

Post #: 104
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/6/2018 10:53:27 PM   
drviking

Afaik

If they tag him. And he signs it. The redskins have 7 days to get under the cap

Which will leave them about 6 million to sign free agents in the first week of free agency....not good

Then if they can't find a trade partner...they can't cut him because it is fully guaranteed..
Not good

Or if cousins refuses to report to the new team, the contract goes back to wash...not good

Too many reasons to not do it

Afaik

Post #: 105
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/6/2018 10:59:09 PM   
Pager

Did no one read the link?

"Cap space: Once the Redskins place the franchise tag tender on Cousins, it would count against the salary cap. He does not need to sign the tender for it to count. All teams must be in compliance with the salary cap before free agency begins on the first day of the new league year, March 14. As of now, the Redskins have about $32 million in cap space. The franchise tender would count $34.5 million.

Because Cousins can't be traded until he signs the tender, if he hasn't done so when free agency begins, he'd occupy cap space and prevent the Redskins from possible signings."

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 106
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/6/2018 11:08:36 PM   
David Levine

quote:

"Cap space: Once the Redskins place the franchise tag tender on Cousins, it would count against the salary cap. He does not need to sign the tender for it to count. All teams must be in compliance with the salary cap before free agency begins on the first day of the new league year, March 14. As of now, the Redskins have about $32 million in cap space. The franchise tender would count $34.5 million.

Because Cousins can't be traded until he signs the tender, if he hasn't done so when free agency begins, he'd occupy cap space and prevent the Redskins from possible signings."

That makes a lot more sense than being able to tie up infinite salaries for 3.5 months. It would be total chaos.
Post #: 107
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/6/2018 11:10:05 PM   
drviking

quote:

If he doesn't sign it,they can rescind the tag at any time

Post #: 108
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/6/2018 11:12:31 PM   
drviking

quote:

quote:

That makes a lot more sense than being able to tie up infinite salaries for 3.5 months. It would be total chaos.

Exactly

You can't just sign a bunch of FAs and wait until June 1 to get under the cap

In fact, after the draft there are always a few cuts to get back under the cap, too

Post #: 109
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/6/2018 11:13:06 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

quote:

Yep if they lost the game of chicken. Cousins is then a UFA. I also read that if they tag and rescind they lose the compensation pick. I looked for a link to post on that, and I couldn't find.

Dangerous game of chicken. Free agents, losing comp pick,

I think its a stupid move but....

Post #: 110
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/6/2018 11:15:23 PM   
drviking

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep if they lost the game of chicken. Cousins is then a UFA. I also read that if they tag and rescind they lose the compensation pick. I looked for a link to post on that, and I couldn't find.

Dangerous game of chicken. Free agents, losing comp pick,

I think its a stupid move but....

Yep

Even Snyder is not that dumb

Post #: 111
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/6/2018 11:19:05 PM   
69in09

quote:

This is correct. Unless it dramatically changed in the last couple of years you have to be in compliance with the cap at the beginning of the league year, in this case March 14th. Then again June 1st on. During that window, you can go over the cap.

Post #: 112
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/6/2018 11:28:30 PM   
drviking

quote:

quote:

This is correct. Unless it dramatically changed in the last couple of years you have to be in compliance with the cap at the beginning of the league year, in this case March 14th. Then again June 1st on. During that window, you can go over the cap.

That's not how I understand it

You have 7 days to get back under the cap with every contract you add

Post #: 113
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/6/2018 11:48:40 PM   
69in09

quote:

quote:

quote:

Did some digging around and it doesn't appear you can go over the cap in that window anymore. But it used to be a thing- I swear it!

It appears you can be over the cap prior to the year starting (the eagles are currently 7 M over) but you got to be under and stay under after March 14th.

Like I mentioned earlier, this doesn't prevent the Redskins from using the Tag and more importantly using the threat of the tag.

In our case we could give the Redskins good trade value and essentially break even because we would keep ourselves in line to get good comp picks in 2019 that we wouldn't if we signed Cousins as a FA.

Post #: 114
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/7/2018 7:55:16 AM   
drviking

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Did some digging around and it doesn't appear you can go over the cap in that window anymore. But it used to be a thing- I swear it!

It appears you can be over the cap prior to the year starting (the eagles are currently 7 M over) but you got to be under and stay under after March 14th.

Like I mentioned earlier, this doesn't prevent the Redskins from using the Tag and more importantly using the threat of the tag.

In our case we could give the Redskins good trade value and essentially break even because we would keep ourselves in line to get good comp picks in 2019 that we wouldn't if we signed Cousins as a FA.

What do you consider good trade value?

Post #: 115
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/7/2018 8:43:40 AM   
69in09

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe a 2nd and a 6th. Enough for them to save face.

Post #: 116
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/7/2018 10:09:28 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So now we're talking about a huge contract we're still going to have to sign him to AND giving Washington draft picks? Multiple draft picks?

SCREW THAT IDEA

PUT THAT BULLSHIT TO BED IMMEDIATELY!!!! Cousins is already going to cost too much no matter who ends up with him. To have to pay that AND give up draft picks to boot? That is quite simply insanity.

**** that

In 2016, Clinton's underlying (and sometimes overlying) message was something like this: Trump is awful and you will never vote for him. And I am the only other person running for president.
Post #: 117
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/7/2018 10:23:38 AM   
Pager

There is no threat of a tag. They either tag and then try and trade. Or they don't tag, and he becomes a FA.

More than anything, Cousins wants the ability to pick his next team/contract on his terms. He is not going to accommodate WAS. WAS carries all the risk.

I'm ok with losing compensation picks to sign him, if it means we keep our current draft picks. I am also not in the camp of trading 2018 picks to keep future compensation picks.

Post #: 118
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/7/2018 10:34:50 AM   
Pager

Could you imagine the conversation?

Allen: Hi Kirk, just want to say sorry for calling you Kurt all those times and making the contract talks public.

Cousins: Uh sure.

Allen: So the thing is, we want to apply franchise tag on Feb 20th, but need you to sign the tender and have all team negotiations go directly through us since there can be no direct contact between you and other teams. We also need this all done by the March 14th. So, pal, could you help us out?

Cousins: Go **** yourselves

Post #: 119
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/7/2018 10:37:12 AM   
drviking

quote:

Allen: Hi Kirk, just want to say sorry for calling you Kurt all those times and making the contract talks public.

Allen: So the thing is, we want to apply franchise tag on Feb 20th, but need you to sign the tender and have all team negotiations go directly through us since there can be no direct contact between you and other teams. We also need this all done by the March 14th. So, pal, could you help us out?

exactly

Cousins has ZERO reason to 'help' them

in fact, it hurts his own options that he has been waiting for several years to look at

there is way too much risk for Washington to do it

non-issue, but I guess its something to talk about leading up to FA

Post #: 120
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/7/2018 10:39:21 AM   
69in09

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So now we're talking about a huge contract we're still going to have to sign him to AND giving Washington draft picks? Multiple draft picks?

SCREW THAT IDEA

PUT THAT BULLSHIT TO BED IMMEDIATELY!!!! Cousins is already going to cost too much no matter who ends up with him. To have to pay that AND give up draft picks to boot? That is quite simply insanity.

**** that

Ha ha. A little hostile this morning eh?

He's a franchise QB that is the cost of getting one. I know we haven't had no in a while, but if we want him it's going to be about 5years and 150M.

Regarding the picks - (as I have explained several times) we are basically breaking even because we would now get good comp picks (probably two 3rds) for our departing QBs that we wouldn't otherwise get if we signed Cousins as a FA.

Post #: 121
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/7/2018 10:46:26 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

SCREW THAT IDEA

**** that

He's a franchise QB that is the cost of getting one. I know we haven't had no in a while, but if we want him it's going to be about 5years and 150M.

Regarding the picks - (as I have explained several times) we are basically breaking even because we would now get good comp picks (probably two 3rds) for our departing QBs that we wouldn't otherwise get if we signed Cousins as a FA.

Hostile no. Frustrated by the characterization of Cousins as a franchise QB. He's not bad, but he is not worth the figures you are suggesting. Let him go to Denver or somewhere else for that cost. There is no way he's worth more than Brady, Brees, or Rodgers. He's on the second tier not top tier. He is not worth the amount you are suggesting much less adding draft picks into the equation. Simply put if he wants that much he should not be signed. and we shouldn't even consider pursuing him if it requires a trade to do it.

That contract would handcuff our salary cap for 5 years. Not worth it.

Now if Aaron Rodgers became available...HELL YEAH. But there is no way Cousins is on that level.

In 2016, Clinton's underlying (and sometimes overlying) message was something like this: Trump is awful and you will never vote for him. And I am the only other person running for president.
Post #: 122
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/7/2018 10:46:29 AM   
69in09

quote:

Like I said earlier it only works if you are dealing with his preferred destination. It would go more like;

Allen; Hello Kurt?

Cousins; My name is Kirk! I told you and your dwarf boss not to call me.

Allen; I understand you might want to go to Minnesota, we can make that happen immediately if you are interested?

Cousins; I'm listening.

Post #: 123
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/7/2018 10:49:09 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

Like I said earlier it only works if you are dealing with his preferred destination. It would go more like;

Allen; Hello Kurt?

Cousins; My name is Kirk! I told you and your dwarf boss not to call me.

Allen; I understand you might want to go to Minnesota, we can make that happen immediately if you are interested?

Cousins; I'm listening.

The call would go to his agent and the agent would be savvy enough to know that time is on his client's side.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 124
RE: 2018 Free Agents - 2/7/2018 10:49:43 AM   
69in09

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

SCREW THAT IDEA

**** that

Hostile no. Frustrated by the characterization of Cousins as a franchise QB. He's not bad, but he is not worth the figures you are suggesting. Let him go to Denver or somewhere else for that cost. There is no way he's worth more than Brady, Brees, or Rodgers. He's on the second tier not top tier. He is not worth the amount you are suggesting much less adding draft picks into the equation. Simply put if he wants that much he should not be signed. and we shouldn't even consider pursuing him if it requires a trade to do it.

That contract would handcuff our salary cap for 5 years. Not worth it.

Now if Aaron Rodgers became available...HELL YEAH. But there is no way Cousins is on that level.

You do realize all the QBs salaries are going to keep going up and Cousins will only be the highest paid for a minute?

But I get it, if you think he's not capable of being an elite QB for us then the conversation is moot.

Post #: 125
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 Free Agents Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode