Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  337 338 [339] 340 341   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/22/2018 7:08:17 PM   
Dana Turner

Sad day for the Vikings family. RIP Tony
Post #: 8451
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/22/2018 7:28:04 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I don't believe it's quite the same. A player at the prime of his life losing his life because he didn't want to show weakness. That was a bitter pill to swallow.

Hopefully the response this time will be renewed dedication. How we respond to adversity is a test of character. I believe this team has a great deal of character.

A family member died.
That's kind of where it begins and ends at the present time..
How, who, why ... none of that matters right now.
It's going to be a rough start. For the line especially. Just like 2001.
I think they will get past it. I sure hope they do.

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 8452
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/22/2018 10:21:08 PM   
Mark Rapley

https://www.twincities.com/2018/07/22/vikings-offensive-line-coach-tony-sparano-dies-at-56/

The Vikings’ assistant offensive line coach is Andrew Janocko. It remains be seen if he will take over for Sparano.

“Andrew has done an amazing job,” Collins said. “He knows what he’s doing. He’s very capable of (taking over), but we’re not worried about that at all now. We’re in the grieving process now.”

BTW, per Wikipedia, Tice retired in February 2018 saying that players didn't want to be coached. Maybe the Vikings will bring him back but I doubt it, probably just promote Janocko. I think technically they'll be fine, but whether their heads will be in the game is a different thing. We'll get an idea early as playing against the Broncos and Jags D, even in the preseason, is no easy task. Something like this can either galvanize a team or cause them to go lower, we'll see which one it is. RIP Coach. I think the team overall has enough character to rise above it, it's just a question of the O-line as that was the weakest part of the team and that will determine how far we go.
Post #: 8453
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/22/2018 10:51:37 PM   
Dave Odle

Very sad. He seemed to be turning our line around. Giving him some real pieces like Reiff, Remmings, and Elflien can't be overstated. That is just so young! I hope it was painless, whatever happened.

Could this be the year?
Post #: 8454
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/22/2018 10:57:51 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art

Korey Stringer comes to mind.
NFC championship game in 2000.
5-11 in 2001.

I shed actual tears over the loss of Korey. A friend of mine was a family friend of his.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 8455
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/22/2018 11:39:35 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I remember listening to people joke about Stringer's difficulty with the heat the previous day on the radio. I believe his teammates even gave him a hard time. Then he was so determined to overcome. A lot of people felt responsibility. That made it so complicated in the aftermath.

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 8456
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 12:14:07 AM   
marty

I don't know what the history is, but I am guessing that most NFL teams that have a death this time of year, it probably leaves a black cloud over the season, and the team under performs, sorta like the black cloud after losing a Super Bowl.
Post #: 8457
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 6:35:26 AM   
Jason Dorn

Rest in peace Coach Sparano. What an incredible life albeit well to short. A vital part of the team's success over the past couple of seasons with his passion for the game and teaching.

His leadership will be missed and his experience irreplaceable. Deepest sympathies and condolences to the Sporano family.

Art- thank you for the avatar.

The Vikings can win the Super Bowl. Sure is good to still have time to do it.

Had the pleasure of meeting folks from the site. Hope to meet more someday. Good people.

Skol.

< Message edited by Jason Dorn -- 7/23/2018 5:24:31 PM >
Post #: 8458
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 6:58:20 AM   
Mark Rapley

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I don't know what the history is, but I am guessing that most NFL teams that have a death this time of year, it probably leaves a black cloud over the season, and the team under performs, sorta like the black cloud after losing a Super Bowl.

Or we could be like the Houston Astros last year after Hurricane Harvey, something where a lot of people died and devastation happened. I am sure every single player and coach was affected by that and they still won the World Series.
Post #: 8459
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 8:47:37 AM   
Bruce Johnson

If you would like to watch a classic Vikings game.

http://www.twincities.com/2018/07/22/watch-vikings-first-monday-night-football-game-from-1970/

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 8460
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 9:12:25 AM   
marty

Good point Mark, I like Kyle Sloter's twitter on it:

Rest In Peace Coach Sparano. I really can’t believe the news. A great coach and even better person. My condolences go out to the Sparano family. I think I speak for everyone when I say this season is for you !
Post #: 8461
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 10:20:07 AM   
David F.

They are professionals. Sparano's death won't cause a poor performance.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 8462
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 10:58:51 AM   
kurt bilben

In ‘01 after the untimely death of Korey Stringer you cannot overlook the fact that we had guys like Wasswa Serwanga, and Brad Badger getting playing time.
Post #: 8463
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 11:26:50 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

Tony Sporano is dead at age 56. Just heard the news on KFAN.

Already the offensive line was arguably the biggest question going into the season.

OMG three years younger than me. My condolences to his family and friends and the Vikings family as well. Horrific news.

Wait.. you just had a baby at 59?! Tip of the cap to you.

Thanks.

I think you're nuts.

I had two kids now in my 40s and I am so totally exhausted. Good Luck with that.

In 2016, Clinton's underlying (and sometimes overlying) message was something like this: Trump is awful and you will never vote for him. And I am the only other person running for president.
Post #: 8464
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 11:32:11 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Already the offensive line was arguably the biggest question going into the season.

OMG three years younger than me. My condolences to his family and friends and the Vikings family as well. Horrific news.

Thanks.

I think you're nuts.

I had two kids now in my 40s and I am so totally exhausted. Good Luck with that.

She will be a lot of work, but so far I'm enjoying it.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 8465
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 11:51:55 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks.

I think you're nuts.

Despite the exhaustion I love every minute with the little ones.

I have four kids altogether. First two I had at 28 and 30. These two at 42 and 44 WAY different. Getting off the floor is a lot harder now.

In 2016, Clinton's underlying (and sometimes overlying) message was something like this: Trump is awful and you will never vote for him. And I am the only other person running for president.
Post #: 8466
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 12:52:09 PM   
Dave Odle

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks.

I think you're nuts.

Despite the exhaustion I love every minute with the little ones.

I have four kids altogether. First two I had at 28 and 30. These two at 42 and 44 WAY different. Getting off the floor is a lot harder now.

They will run you ragged! My two girls are 19 and 14 now. Let's just say that binge-watching The Office is way more fun w/ then than the constant fear of them hurting themselves or getting into something when they were little kids. Family is everything, though! Wouldn't know what to do without them.

Could this be the year?
Post #: 8467
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 3:37:27 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Rapley

https://www.twincities.com/2018/07/22/vikings-offensive-line-coach-tony-sparano-dies-at-56/

The Vikings’ assistant offensive line coach is Andrew Janocko. It remains be seen if he will take over for Sparano.

“Andrew has done an amazing job,” Collins said. “He knows what he’s doing. He’s very capable of (taking over), but we’re not worried about that at all now. We’re in the grieving process now.”

BTW, per Wikipedia, Tice retired in February 2018 saying that players didn't want to be coached. Maybe the Vikings will bring him back but I doubt it, probably just promote Janocko. I think technically they'll be fine, but whether their heads will be in the game is a different thing. We'll get an idea early as playing against the Broncos and Jags D, even in the preseason, is no easy task. Something like this can either galvanize a team or cause them to go lower, we'll see which one it is. RIP Coach. I think the team overall has enough character to rise above it, it's just a question of the O-line as that was the weakest part of the team and that will determine how far we go.

I doubt Tice would come back here, not after the Wilfs publicly stated in mid December 2005 that "there will be no wholesale changes", and then less than a month later, implemented wholesale changes. Including letting Tice walk. That bad faith, and the Triangle of Authority, are the only real hiccups the Wilfs have had as owners here IMO. Hiring KA I guess also. But we're past that.
Post #: 8468
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 3:43:30 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Paul Allen was speculating about Mike Tice coming in here to be the offensive line coach. He did say it was a long shot, but that he believes Tice would be happy to do it.

I don't believe that Tice was a zone blocking coach. Correct me if I'm wrong. He has coached around the league a bit- Minnesota, Chicago and Oakland, Jacksonville and Atlanta and he's been successful. Two years ago Oakland arguably had the best, or second best offensive line in the NFL. I like Mike Tice a lot, but I don't believe he will be the guy or should be the guy.

Post #: 8469
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 3:47:57 PM   
Bill Jandro

I'd take Tice in a heart beat.

His Olines have done really well where ever he's been.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 8470
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 3:53:22 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Paul Allen was speculating about Mike Tice coming in here to be the offensive line coach. He did say it was a long shot, but that he believes Tice would be happy to do it.

Maybe Spiels could convince Tice to come back, he could lay the blame (and rightfully so) on the Wilfs for the 2005 show of bad faith. Tell him they are out of the running the organization piece of it, that he's (Spiels) in charge. I doubt it, but maybe.
Post #: 8471
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 3:54:07 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

I don't believe that Tice was a zone blocking coach. Correct me if I'm wrong. He has coached around the league a bit- Minnesota, Chicago and Oakland, Jacksonville and Atlanta and he's been successful. Two years ago Oakland arguably had the best, or second best offensive line in the NFL. I like Mike Tice a lot, but I don't believe he will be the guy or should be the guy.

I want Tice. He's 59 so not too old. Has ties to this community. Would be a great fit.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 7/23/2018 3:55:25 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 8472
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 3:56:52 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

What if his blocking schemes don't jibe with what the Vikes have been teaching/playing with over the last couple seasons? Along with players acquired with those schemes in mind? With this an all in season, it's hard to start the OL back at ground zero.
Post #: 8473
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 4:08:51 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

What if his blocking schemes don't jibe with what the Vikes have been teaching/playing with over the last couple seasons? Along with players acquired with those schemes in mind? With this an all in season, it's hard to start the OL back at ground zero.

True so hopefully he understands zone blocking. I don't think Tice was the x and o guy before was he. I thought he was more the motivational speaker and left the actual coaching to the assistants.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 8474
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 4:10:58 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Whoever it is has to rely heavily on the assistants now.
And Flip.
If they only need a figurehead for this season, Tice could be OK.
If we're looking for an innovator, which likely we aren't since Sparano was the guy ... then Tice makes no sense.

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 8475
Page:   <<   < prev  337 338 [339] 340 341   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  337 338 [339] 340 341   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode