Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  338 339 [340] 341 342   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 4:13:02 PM   
With camp starting tomorrow and Sparano passing yesterday, it's an awkward time at Winter Park.
How soon is too soon? Today? Tomorrow?

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 8476
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 4:17:32 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art

With camp starting tomorrow and Sparano passing yesterday, it's an awkward time at Winter Park.

To me you start due diligence the day after his death and figure out the replacement in a week tops. Does that make me a heartless bastard?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 8477
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 4:29:06 PM   
BigSky

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

To me you start due diligence the day after his death and figure out the replacement in a week tops. Does that make me a heartless bastard?

The NFL isn't going to delay the season for a couple weeks so that we can get acclimated to Sparano's passing. If I were to pass away tomorrow,
my company would most likely have a job listing before my obituary came out. As cruel as this sounds it is the way things are. I like Tice, but
from my understanding he did not coach zone blocking. I think we have the answer in house, and even though Sparano's passing is unfortunate
things will go on at camp.
Post #: 8478
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 4:30:27 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I'd take Tice in a heart beat.

His Olines have done really well where ever he's been.

What if his blocking schemes don't jibe with what the Vikes have been teaching/playing with over the last couple seasons? Along with players acquired with those schemes in mind? With this an all in season, it's hard to start the OL back at ground zero.

True so hopefully he understands zone blocking. I don't think Tice was the x and o guy before was he. I thought he was more the motivational speaker and left the actual coaching to the assistants.

Huh? Tice has been the OL coach for half a dozen NFL teams.
Post #: 8479
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 5:00:45 PM   
geoffrey greitzer

Let Flip make his choice. Then go from there...
"Who do you want with this offense?"
Post #: 8480
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 5:14:37 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What if his blocking schemes don't jibe with what the Vikes have been teaching/playing with over the last couple seasons? Along with players acquired with those schemes in mind? With this an all in season, it's hard to start the OL back at ground zero.

True so hopefully he understands zone blocking. I don't think Tice was the x and o guy before was he. I thought he was more the motivational speaker and left the actual coaching to the assistants.

You're missing my point. A lot of times there are coaches that aren't about the x's & o's, but are more motivational types that leave the x's & o's to the assistants. I'm not saying Tice doesn't know x's & o's, but he might have been more about the leading.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 8481
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 5:46:13 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You're missing my point. A lot of times there are coaches that aren't about the x's & o's, but are more motivational types that leave the x's & o's to the assistants. I'm not saying Tice doesn't know x's & o's, but he might have been more about the leading.

No I got your point. You don't get regular coaching gigs in the NFL without actual coaching. Maybe head coaches to some extent, but not hands on coaches. I don't quite follow this cheer leading type of coaching you are talking about. Pretty sure it doesn't exist.
Post #: 8482
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 5:53:16 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigSky

quote:

quote:

The NFL isn't going to delay the season for a couple weeks so that we can get acclimated to Sparano's passing. If I were to pass away tomorrow,
my company would most likely have a job listing before my obituary came out. As cruel as this sounds it is the way things are. I like Tice, but
from my understanding he did not coach zone blocking. I think we have the answer in house, and even though Sparano's passing is unfortunate
things will go on at camp.

Yup. I don't see how they do anything but run it with the assistant. He was up to speed on the plans this year and was the assistant OL coach last year as well.

You don't make a left turn at this juncture.

I say no way to Tice, of for no other reason than I doubt you see many former head coaches return to a lower level position with the same regime that fired you.

I tried.

2006/2019
Post #: 8483
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 5:56:58 PM   
GopherFan34

Life goes on, people lose loved ones daily, I'm sure he wouldn't want his players to lose focus because of him, dedicate your season to him is the utmost respect.
Post #: 8484
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 6:21:06 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: GopherFan34

Life goes on, people lose loved ones daily, I'm sure he wouldn't want his players to lose focus because of him, dedicate your season to him is the utmost respect.

THIS.

Rest In Peace Coach Sparano.

Thoughts are with your family.

O-Line or bust.
Fix it Spielman!!
Post #: 8485
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 7:01:02 PM   
marty

I am happy to see some support for Tice on here, it would be cool to have that big purple Barney on the sidelines as part of the Vikings Super Bowl run.

I am not sure about fitting scheme-wise, but if Tice was in Oakland 2 years ago, then Murray was part of that success, so some familiarity there.

Maybe Tice just had a bad batch of non-cooperative players, and would do better with the Vikings' group. And maybe Zimmer could help Tice with motivating some of the younger players.
Post #: 8486
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 7:20:45 PM  2 votes
Todd M

And maybe there is a 0% chance it'll happen and it's a waste of time speculating on it.

I tried.

2006/2019
Post #: 8487
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 8:12:42 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

And maybe there is a 0% chance it'll happen and it's a waste of time speculating on it.

In the end it will either happen 100% chance or it won't 0% chance. However, I certainly think it is possible. I don't get how you think it is absolutely under all circumstances not possible.
Also it is fun to speculate on Tice coming back.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 7/23/2018 8:27:03 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 8488
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 9:41:43 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I think that the coaches all have to be on the same page. A new guy would need time to get up to speed. If he doesn't even have a history with our current blocking scheme, it just doesn't seem like the right fit. We have coaches with a history of success already within the organization. Our tight ends coach was an offensive line coach for a Super Bowl winning team using the current blocking scheme. No need to get too radical.

That being said, I like Tice and it would be fun to get him back. Still, I want them to get it right.

Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. (Helen Keller)
Post #: 8489
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 10:53:36 PM   
Lynn G.

Bunny's is still open. Tice probably wants to come back.

What's up with that bootheel, Missouri?
Post #: 8490
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 11:41:53 PM   
kurt bilben

quote:

Anybody remember how the Wilfs terminated Tice’s Viking Tenure.

Yeah I’d agree with Todd.
Post #: 8491
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 11:51:14 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Tony Sporano is dead at age 56. Just heard the news on KFAN.

Already the offensive line was arguably the biggest question going into the season.

OMG three years younger than me. My condolences to his family and friends and the Vikings family as well. Horrific news.

Wait.. you just had a baby at 59?! Tip of the cap to you.

Thanks.

I think you're nuts.

I had two kids now in my 40s and I am so totally exhausted. Good Luck with that.

The guys nuts. Grab 'm!
Post #: 8492
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/23/2018 11:52:58 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

You mean "after the Wilfs publicly stated in mid December 2005 that "there will be no wholesale changes", and then less than a month later, implemented wholesale changes. Including letting Tice walk."?
Post #: 8493
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 8:48:24 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

You mean "after the Wilfs publicly stated in mid December 2005 that "there will be no wholesale changes", and then less than a month later, implemented wholesale changes. Including letting Tice walk."?

So you think he doesn't want a job? I think 13 years is a long time and if I remember Tice did a few things to embarrass the Wilfs also.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 8494
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 8:57:47 AM   
Ian Joseph

Are you guys SERIOUSLY talking about Mike Tice coming back to coach a part of a team on the eve of training camp? Really?

Regardless of what kind of a coach Mike Tice is, this team has been prepping and installing the offense for months. The only thing the offensive coaches, oline included, are going to do at this point is the refine and reinforce the techniques needed for the 2018-19 version of our offense. Mike Tice hasn't been here, doesn't know what we are running and giving two shits about him realistically being a quick study or not, its absurd for the team to even consider it. Plus, we don't know about Tice's current relationship with Zimmer, or if one even exists.

Tony Sparano unexpectedly died. Right before training camp. Whomever takes over his duties will be in house, most likely either already working with the oline or some other offensive position. Who that actually is doesn't matter at all to me, but I know it will not be Mike Tice.

Sorry if I'm splashing cold water on you or pissing in your cornflakes of fun. Trying to put silliness to bed, even more so, since its directly related to someone unexpectedly losing their life.

< Message edited by Ian Joseph -- 7/24/2018 9:14:42 AM >

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 8495
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 9:13:44 AM   
Bill Jandro

Hiring Tice is most likely not going to happen. Wilf burnt that bridge treating him like an expendable realty employee.

Zim is the one that will appoint a replacement. Far as I know he and Tice do not have any connection.

Most likely will be the assistant OL coach or Barone.

< Message edited by Bill Jandro -- 7/24/2018 9:15:16 AM >

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 8496
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 9:49:59 AM   
Bill Jandro

If Barone is appointed OL coach there is maybe a 1% chance Tice is offered the TE coaching vacancy.

Probably a less than 1% chance he takes it.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 8497
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 9:58:28 AM   
bohumm

This repetition obsession is a weird phenomenon I've noticed since participating in fan forums like this one online. Many fans are obsessed with recapturing....something. In trade speculation, fans will very frequently propose trades that result in reacquiring traded draft picks. A familiar/liked coach will be proposed as an assistant to his replacement (it's happened on here with Zimmer accepting a demotion to D-coordinator after we bring in a supposedly better head coach). Bring in Tice for no good reason other than we may have thought we liked him, since his only real connection with the team at this point is in the form of the owners who fired him.

Strange.
Post #: 8498
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 10:10:07 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

So you think he doesn't want a job? I think 13 years is a long time and if I remember Tice did a few things to embarrass the Wilfs also.

I don't remember those.

And yes, he said he was retiring, because he felt todays players don't take well to coaching. So he might well not want a job.
Post #: 8499
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/24/2018 10:20:03 AM   
David Levine

quote:

If Barone is appointed OL coach there is maybe a 1% chance Tice is offered the TE coaching vacancy.

Probably a less than 1% chance he takes it.

I think 1% is about 1% too high.

We're not bringing in any outside coaches.
Post #: 8500
Page:   <<   < prev  338 339 [340] 341 342   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  338 339 [340] 341 342   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode