Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:26:22 PM   
Lars

Here is my problem with Cousins:

Is he a guy with great stats, but that's it? Stafford puts up tons of stats, but hasn't won jack squat. I wouldn't take Stafford.

But I think Cousins > Case. But I also would not lock us into some 5-year deal on Cousins. But I don't think we will be going after him anyhow.

I also think healthy Bradford > Case/Cousins/Teddy. But can he stay healthy....?

And Teddy is a huge question mark. There is NO WAY I pay him lots of money. He gets a friendly deal or I let him walk. And I still have one of the others in there to compete for the starter job.

On Case, if you watch his play the last few games, his pocket awareness was not what it was earlier in the year. Seemed to get pressured /sacked more and didn't make as many plays with his legs. That was his x-factor IMHO. He was able to pull a Houdini a few times and get some first downs when the play broke down. There was none of that later on. Turnovers and punts.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 126
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:29:46 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lars

Is he a guy with great stats, but that's it? Stafford puts up tons of stats, but hasn't won jack squat. I wouldn't take Stafford.

I would love to have Stafford. He is batting a tradition of franchise futility that practically stretches back to the dawn of the NFL. Some levels of inertia just can't be overcome.

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it.
Post #: 127
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:31:14 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Have Case and Teddy battle it out next year sounds like a better plan.

I respectfully disagree. Case has been figured out. He had his run and now there is more film on him than ever. It still remains to be seen what the long term affect of Teddy's injury will be. You committing a franchise price tag to a QB with the idea he would have to fight it out for the job.

Was going to bring that up too
Cases season is remindful of that baseball player who comes up for a look ... Gets red hot to start ... Then suddenly starts going 0-fer
He's been figured out.
Can he rebound and adjust? Sure. But Cousins has already passed that hurdle.
Post #: 128
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:31:39 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

I would love to have Stafford. He is batting a tradition of franchise futility that practically stretches back to the dawn of the NFL. Some levels of inertia just can't be overcome.

Agree.

Definitely would want Stafford as QB. Guy is tough, accurate, clutch and has a strong arm.
Post #: 129
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:31:53 PM   
Lars

I let Case walk, unless he will take a low-priced deal. He won't.

I need to know the health of Bradford and Teddy. I think they are both question marks, but I don't know. If Bradford is good to go, I franchise him/short-term deal and offer Teddy a friendly deal.

If not, I make a run at Cousins.

But there is no way, knowing what little I do, that I roll with Teddy and Sloter next year.

And I won't roll with Case unless it's a friendly deal AND I have Teddy or Sam on the roster, too.

Ugh LOL

<this space for rent>
Post #: 130
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:32:43 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

Agree again
Think Stafford behind center here. Oh my.
We're looking for one huge piece. Don't settle please.
Post #: 131
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:33:55 PM   
Lars

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree.

Definitely would want Stafford as QB. Guy is tough, accurate, clutch and has a strong arm.

Intertia to overcome?? I don't think so. I don't think he is that clutch or has a super-high football IQ. I live in MI and see lots of Lions football. Meh....

<this space for rent>
Post #: 132
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:34:19 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

I respectfully disagree. Case has been figured out. He had his run and now there is more film on him than ever. It still remains to be seen what the long term affect of Teddy's injury will be. You committing a franchise price tag to a QB with the idea he would have to fight it out for the job.

You mean put constant pressure on him and he will make a mistake or 2. That covers almost all QBs except the HOFs.
Post #: 133
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:35:27 PM   
David F.

quote:

But I think Cousins > Case. But I also would not lock us into some 5-year deal on Cousins. But I don't think we will be going after him anyhow.

I also think healthy Bradford > Case/Cousins/Teddy. But can he stay healthy....?

And Teddy is a huge question mark. There is NO WAY I pay him lots of money. He gets a friendly deal or I let him walk. And I still have one of the others in there to compete for the starter job.

On Case, if you watch his play the last few games, his pocket awareness was not what it was earlier in the year. Seemed to get pressured /sacked more and didn't make as many plays with his legs. That was his x-factor IMHO. He was able to pull a Houdini a few times and get some first downs when the play broke down. There was none of that later on. Turnovers and punts.

Soooooooo... no QB then?

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 134
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:35:36 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

You mean put constant pressure on him and he will make a mistake or 2. That covers almost all QBs except the HOFs.

Put pressure on him and he makes incredibly bad decisions.

Post #: 135
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:35:44 PM   
Lars

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

Agree again
Think Stafford behind center here. Oh my.
We're looking for one huge piece. Don't settle please.

Sorry - I see him as the guy who teases you with lots of great throws, but can't quite get to that next level.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 136
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:36:26 PM   
Lars

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

Soooooooo... no QB then?

LMAO. Yup. All wildcat. All day.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 137
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:36:49 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree.

Intertia to overcome?? I don't think so. I don't think he is that clutch or has a super-high football IQ. I live in MI and see lots of Lions football. Meh....

He has had some stretches of impressive 4th quarter comebacks. Maybe it's all Jim Bob Cooter but the guy has improved a lot from the early years.
Post #: 138
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:38:41 PM   
Lars

quote:

quote:

Soooooooo... no QB then?

Healthy Bradford>Cousins>Case>Teddy

If the health of Bradford and Teddy are ?, then I go after Cousins. Otherwise, pick some combo of two of the remaining three, with no big contract for any one of them. None of them are deserving IMHO.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 139
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:38:50 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

He doesn’t have the arm strength to complete a medium to deep out. This allows defenses to commit more attention to the middle of the field and send pressure off the edge. That’s the book on him. He will then try and throw to the sideline and it’s an easy pick. We saw that happen plenty in 2017.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 140
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:39:30 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Put pressure on him and he makes incredibly bad decisions.

I can't disagree but Cousins does the same thing.

One thing I think we can agree on is continuing to make the OLine a dominant force.
Post #: 141
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:40:51 PM   
Lars

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree.

He has had some stretches of impressive 4th quarter comebacks. Maybe it's all Jim Bob Cooter but the guy has improved a lot from the early years.

Yes, he has really improved with JBCooter. What did they do down the stretch this year? How did he look against us? It's irrelevant since he is in DET, but I would not want him as my starter - especially at that cap hit.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 142
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:43:13 PM   
Lars

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He doesn’t have the arm strength to complete a medium to deep out. This allows defenses to commit more attention to the middle of the field and send pressure off the edge. That’s the book on him. He will then try and throw to the sideline and it’s an easy pick. We saw that happen plenty in 2017.

Yup...or scramble or a lollipop to AT/SD. Take a few of those away and we look very different.

I am convinced that BB would have torched our offense if we made it to the SB. Our D and ST would have had to win it for us (and we saw how that worked out in PHI)

<this space for rent>
Post #: 143
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:44:00 PM   
TJSweens

Here is the bottom line for me on Case. There are some here who look at him and want to see another Kurt Warner. The guy who didn't get drafted, flew under the radar, got his big chance and became a top flight starting QB. I look at Case and I see the other 1,000 guys for every Warner. Career backup who gets an opportunity and has one great run before fading into obscurity. Basically I see Matt Cassel or Scott Mitchell. Somebody is going to pay Case this off season and wind up wishing they hadn't.

Post #: 144
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:44:50 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The book on him has been out for 6 years and he still had a great year this year.

I guess it can be concluded that it was a fluke. But it could also be concluded that he was stuck with QB killer Jeff Fisher and finally got a chance with some real offensive gurus.
Post #: 145
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:46:01 PM   
Lars

quote:

Here is the bottom line for me on Case. There are some here who look at him and want to see another Kurt Warner. The guy who didn't get drafted, flew under the radar, got his big chance and became a top flight starting QB. I look at Case and I see the other 1,000 guys for every Warner. Career backup who gets an opportunity and has one great run before fading into obscurity. Basically I see Matt Cassel or Scott Mitchell. Somebody is going to pay Case this off season and wind up wishing they hadn't.

I feel the same. I WISH I didn't, but I do. He is a good story and played his guts our for our team. But with purple-shaded glasses off, that's what I see.

Would love him as a back-up.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 146
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:53:39 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Soooooooo... no QB then?

Healthy Bradford>Cousins>Case>Teddy

If the health of Bradford and Teddy are ?, then I go after Cousins. Otherwise, pick some combo of two of the remaining three, with no big contract for any one of them. None of them are deserving IMHO.

Unfortunately "Healthy Bradford" is a unicorn. It doesn't exist.

He's lost nearly 40% of his 8 year career to injury.
Post #: 147
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 2:54:47 PM   
David Levine

quote:

I am convinced that BB would have torched our offense if we made it to the SB. Our D and ST would have had to win it for us (and we saw how that worked out in PHI)

I expected it to be just like when the Patriots played against Chad Pennington in the Playoffs.

Just destroyed him by taking away what he does well, and giving him the parts of the field he struggles with.
Post #: 148
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 3:08:47 PM   
David F.

The best takeaway form Keenum's great season in 2017 is that it's a real credit to how well the rest of the team is put together. Keenum was ALMOST good enough to get us to the Super Bowl. Let me put it a different way. A journeyman backup was ALMOST good enough to get us to the Super Bowl. If you believe this is true (as I do) then a quality starter should put us over the top. Let's go get one.

Post #: 149
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 3:13:20 PM   
TJSweens

Bottom line is that they shouldn't be afraid to get better.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 1/31/2018 3:17:52 PM >

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode