Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 3:17:50 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lars

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Here is the bottom line for me on Case. There are some here who look at him and want to see another Kurt Warner. The guy who didn't get drafted, flew under the radar, got his big chance and became a top flight starting QB. I look at Case and I see the other 1,000 guys for every Warner. Career backup who gets an opportunity and has one great run before fading into obscurity. Basically I see Matt Cassel or Scott Mitchell. Somebody is going to pay Case this off season and wind up wishing they hadn't.

I feel the same. I WISH I didn't, but I do. He is a good story and played his guts our for our team. But with purple-shaded glasses off, that's what I see.

Would love him as a back-up.

I agree as well.

In 2016, Clinton's underlying (and sometimes overlying) message was something like this: Trump is awful and you will never vote for him. And I am the only other person running for president.
Post #: 151
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 3:18:26 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

twitter....

'As we wait on Vikings' OC decision, sources believe QB coach Kevin Stefanski is in strong position for the job. The Giants' interest in Stefanski for their OC job under Pat Shurmur could factor into things, as well.'

Zimmer background is as a defensive coach and so he will naturally lean a lot on his offensive coordinator, but also Spielman. Zimmer also consults with Bill Parcells. Quick question: who was the greatest quarterback Parcells ever won a Super Bowl with? Off the top of my head I would say he had "no name quarterbacks". Parcells won with great defenses. I'd like to say more, but that's all I can remember about his Super teams. It's been about 25-30 years.

Stefanski is interesting because he has worn so many different hats as a coach. I don't think he's even just been an offensive coach. Correct me if I'm wrong. In that respect, he might have a special background quality that really leads him to think more in terms of a winning as a team- certainly not just because of a great quarterback. I kind of like that kind of thinking, but I do have to admit that the quarterback is the most important position. Just look at the Packers and how they do with or without Rodgers.

If you ask any coach, they will say they want a great quarterback- the best that they can have. One problem is, of course that the NFL runs on a salary cap. Another is that you have to keep in mind a players durability. I don't know enough about the Redskins quarterback to say he's worth 25 million, or so. I bet that a lot of people who know a lot more than I do will say they don't know. He has some ability. I also believe he's been durable, so far. He's also young and hopefully still improving. If you're a good coach then you think that I'd like to get my hands on a young, promising quarterback and help him become great.

I will rally behind any decision that the Vikings make. Obviously, the decision involves the quarterback of their choice to cooperate by signing at the right price for our team and not somebody else's team. The Vikings are a very attractive team for a good quarterback, though. We have a great defense. We could go far with a good quarterback. I bet most good quarterbacks have a lot of confidence in their own ability. If a player wants to play for a team with a coaching staff that's great to work for and with, I think the Vikings would be one of those teams.

Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. (Helen Keller)
Post #: 152
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 4:10:07 PM   
stfrank

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

Here is my problem with Cousins:

Is he a guy with great stats, but that's it? Stafford puts up tons of stats, but hasn't won jack squat. I wouldn't take Stafford.

But I think Cousins > Case. But I also would not lock us into some 5-year deal on Cousins. But I don't think we will be going after him anyhow.

I also think healthy Bradford > Case/Cousins/Teddy. But can he stay healthy....?

And Teddy is a huge question mark. There is NO WAY I pay him lots of money. He gets a friendly deal or I let him walk. And I still have one of the others in there to compete for the starter job.

On Case, if you watch his play the last few games, his pocket awareness was not what it was earlier in the year. Seemed to get pressured /sacked more and didn't make as many plays with his legs. That was his x-factor IMHO. He was able to pull a Houdini a few times and get some first downs when the play broke down. There was none of that later on. Turnovers and punts.

Soooooooo... no QB then?

LMAO. Yup. All wildcat. All day.

What? Don't we still have the long snapper offense in our back pocket?
Post #: 153
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 4:11:34 PM   
Pager

I think the idea of getting SB or CK AND TB is a pipe dream. Teddy has already stated he wants to be a starter. I think there are enough teams like AZ, MIA, even CLE or JETS or whoever loses out on Cousins, where he could get a 2 year 12M contract with incentives. I think that's his market. There is always more chairs (teams) than QBs. Happens every year. Tolling TB is not going to happen. If we sign CK or SB, I highly doubt TB resigns.

Anyone want to go into next season with just SB or just CK or just TB? IMO we'd be looking at one of the 3 and another options like Kaepernick or Bortles/Osweiler/etc (winner of Cousins).

Is it possible to win a Superbowl with an average QB? It happens. I'd rather not hope the stars align. We tried to do it this year, and I'm still bitter.

I'm counting on FO/Zimmer to give us the best QB option (for the team - balancing all factors). And if they don't, they should be fully accountable.

< Message edited by Pager -- 1/31/2018 4:12:55 PM >

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 154
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 4:22:16 PM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

Here is the bottom line for me on Case. There are some here who look at him and want to see another Kurt Warner. The guy who didn't get drafted, flew under the radar, got his big chance and became a top flight starting QB. I look at Case and I see the other 1,000 guys for every Warner. Career backup who gets an opportunity and has one great run before fading into obscurity. Basically I see Matt Cassel or Scott Mitchell. Somebody is going to pay Case this off season and wind up wishing they hadn't.

The thing is, nobody knows if Keenum will fade into obscurity or if this is the start of a great career at QB. If we let him go and his play continues to improve we are going to be kicking ourselves. Conversely, if we sign him to a multi year deal and he sucks then we'll be kicking ourselves.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 155
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 4:24:26 PM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

I think the idea of getting SB or CK AND TB is a pipe dream. Teddy has already stated he wants to be a starter. I think there are enough teams like AZ, MIA, even CLE or JETS or whoever loses out on Cousins, where he could get a 2 year 12M contract with incentives. I think that's his market. There is always more chairs (teams) than QBs. Happens every year. Tolling TB is not going to happen. If we sign CK or SB, I highly doubt TB resigns.

Anyone want to go into next season with just SB or just CK or just TB? IMO we'd be looking at one of the 3 and another options like Kaepernick or Bortles/Osweiler/etc (winner of Cousins).

Is it possible to win a Superbowl with an average QB? It happens. I'd rather not hope the stars align. We tried to do it this year, and I'm still bitter.

I'm counting on FO/Zimmer to give us the best QB option (for the team - balancing all factors). And if they don't, they should be fully accountable.

Bortles just had surgery so the Jags are on the hook for his $18 mil salary. He's not going anywhere.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 156
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 4:29:38 PM   
69in09

The Vikings might be waiting talk to John Defilippo, Philadelphia’s QB coach. According to Chris Tomasson.

This is my burner account.
Post #: 157
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 4:44:38 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Bortles just had surgery so the Jags are on the hook for his $18 mil salary. He's not going anywhere.

Only if he can't pass a physical in 6 weeks.

quote:

Reports said a slight tear was repaired.

The most likely scenario is a wrist cartilage issue, specifically the triangular fibrocarilage complex (TFCC), which is like a small meniscus or cartilage pad on the ulnar (pinky) side of his wrist.

That would fit the profile of being able to play and of injections helping.

Since it lingered, a simple arthroscopic surgery to trim the tear is indicated. If that is the case, the expected recovery is measured in weeks, and Bortles should be available for the offseason program.

The possible hiccup is in the rare instance the TFCC were sewn. That might mean a 3-4 month recovery process.
Post #: 158
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 5:04:20 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: 69in09

The Vikings might be waiting talk to John Defilippo, Philadelphia’s QB coach. According to Chris Tomasson.

I wonder if Zim is pushing Spiels for DeFlippoff - because he wants to know how his defense got screwed with so easily.
Post #: 159
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 5:12:09 PM   
David Levine

quote:

He does have some Pro OC experience (although it was foe 2015 Cleveland Dumpsterfires that were 30th in points and 25th in yards). Never stuck very long anywhere.

New York Giants (2005–2006)
Offensive quality control coach

Oakland Raiders (2007–2008)
Quarterbacks coach

New York Jets (2009)
Quarterbacks coach

San Jose State (2010)
Quarterbacks coach

San Jose State (2011)
Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach

Oakland Raiders (2012–2014)
Quarterbacks coach

Cleveland Browns (2015)
Offensive coordinator

Philadelphia Eagles (2016–present)
Quarterbacks coach
Post #: 160
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 5:20:45 PM   
69in09

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

I wonder if Zim is pushing Spiels for DeFlippoff - because he wants to know how his defense got screwed with so easily.

I believe Zimmer is doing the “interviews” himself. If I understand your comment correctly.

This is my burner account.
Post #: 161
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 5:29:20 PM  1 votes
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

It’s very nice important that we define the number of years and guaranteed money we are talking about.

Saying 23M vs 30M is inaccurate.

Cousins is going to set a new market and it’s going to be 30M+ for probably 4-6 years.

Using the franchise tag on Case is 23M for a single year, no long term commitment. If we decide we want more years, that 23M number goes down.

BTW; Spiels has to be kicking himself for not adding an extra year to Keenum’s one year 2m deal last year.

Forbes has estimated Cousins will sign in the neighborhood of 5 years / $150 million with $75 million guaranteed and a $60 million signing bonus. I would rather make the commitment to someone with a more proven track record like Cousins that commit $23 million to see if Keenum can do it again. Especially when I have real doubts about Keenum repeating his production. He away with far too many bad decisions last year. At some point the horseshoe falls out of your ass and the outcomes of those plays even out.

Keenum got exposed in the divisional game vs New Orleans and Philly picked up right where New Orleans left off. Since halftime of the divisional playoff game opponents' score vs The Vikings is 62-19. I'd say that's Cleveland Brown type level of competition but Cleveland actually kept a lot of their games fairly close.

Keenum is an easy target but he should not be the guy villianized.

When your coach is curled up in the fetal position sucking his thumb in the 2nd half of Saints game.

The whole team left they're hearts and the game plan in Minn during the Philly game.

No way in hell can you convince me Foles is better than Keenum. It was one game.

Zim was completely and thoroughly out coached.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 162
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 5:29:30 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

I believe Zimmer is doing the “interviews” himself. If I understand your comment correctly.

Yes you're right. I'm sure thats true, atleast for the most part.

His resume doesn't say much, except his time with Wentz. I smell ulterior motives - maybe a common history or something.
Post #: 163
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 5:39:12 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

It’s very nice important that we define the number of years and guaranteed money we are talking about.

Cousins is going to set a new market and it’s going to be 30M+ for probably 4-6 years.

Using the franchise tag on Case is 23M for a single year, no long term commitment. If we decide we want more years, that 23M number goes down.

BTW; Spiels has to be kicking himself for not adding an extra year to Keenum’s one year 2m deal last year.

Forbes has estimated Cousins will sign in the neighborhood of 5 years / $150 million with $75 million guaranteed and a $60 million signing bonus. I would rather make the commitment to someone with a more proven track record like Cousins that commit $23 million to see if Keenum can do it again. Especially when I have real doubts about Keenum repeating his production. He away with far too many bad decisions last year. At some point the horseshoe falls out of your ass and the outcomes of those plays even out.

I’m

Keenum got exposed in the divisional game vs New Orleans and Philly picked up right where New Orleans left off. Since halftime of the divisional playoff game opponents' score vs The Vikings is 62-19. I'd say that's Cleveland Brown type level of competition but Cleveland actually kept a lot of their games fairly close.

When your coach is curled up in the fetal position sucking his thumb in the 2nd half of Saints game.

The whole team left they're hearts and the game plan in Minn during the Philly game.

No way in hell can you convince me Foles is better than Keenum. It was one game.

I’m not saying foles is better than Keenum. I’m saying they’re both backups

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 164
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 5:39:16 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not interested in either of them as our QB.
Post #: 165
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 5:43:41 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

The thing is, nobody knows if Keenum will fade into obscurity or if this is the start of a great career at QB. If we let him go and his play continues to improve we are going to be kicking ourselves. Conversely, if we sign him to a multi year deal and he sucks then we'll be kicking ourselves.

Another advocate for no QB? We have to pick someone. I’d go with the best one we can get. Keenum doesn’t have the arm strength. Bradford can’t stay healthy. Teddy is the only one worth a look from last year. I’m all for gambling on him going forward but I’d rather have a proven commodity like Cousins.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 166
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 5:44:16 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

twitter....

'As we wait on Vikings' OC decision, sources believe QB coach Kevin Stefanski is in strong position for the job. The Giants' interest in Stefanski for their OC job under Pat Shurmur could factor into things, as well.'

Zimmer background is as a defensive coach and so he will naturally lean a lot on his offensive coordinator, but also Spielman. Zimmer also consults with Bill Parcells. Quick question: who was the greatest quarterback Parcells ever won a Super Bowl with? Off the top of my head I would say he had "no name quarterbacks". Parcells won with great defenses. I'd like to say more, but that's all I can remember about his Super teams. It's been about 25-30 years.

Stefanski is interesting because he has worn so many different hats as a coach. I don't think he's even just been an offensive coach. Correct me if I'm wrong. In that respect, he might have a special background quality that really leads him to think more in terms of a winning as a team- certainly not just because of a great quarterback. I kind of like that kind of thinking, but I do have to admit that the quarterback is the most important position. Just look at the Packers and how they do with or without Rodgers.

If you ask any coach, they will say they want a great quarterback- the best that they can have. One problem is, of course that the NFL runs on a salary cap. Another is that you have to keep in mind a players durability. I don't know enough about the Redskins quarterback to say he's worth 25 million, or so. I bet that a lot of people who know a lot more than I do will say they don't know. He has some ability. I also believe he's been durable, so far. He's also young and hopefully still improving. If you're a good coach then you think that I'd like to get my hands on a young, promising quarterback and help him become great.

I will rally behind any decision that the Vikings make. Obviously, the decision involves the quarterback of their choice to cooperate by signing at the right price for our team and not somebody else's team. The Vikings are a very attractive team for a good quarterback, though. We have a great defense. We could go far with a good quarterback. I bet most good quarterbacks have a lot of confidence in their own ability. If a player wants to play for a team with a coaching staff that's great to work for and with, I think the Vikings would be one of those teams.

Probably Phil Simms.
Post #: 167
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 5:45:48 PM   
Bill Jandro

We need a qb that can make all the throws with ease.

This rules out both Teddy and Case.

Bradford can't stay healthy.

Cousins might be the best choice. I just hope he has the common sense to take a 23-25ml per year deal and not cripple the teams pay roll.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 168
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 6:15:34 PM   
ratoppenheimer

at this moment my opinion of who our starting qb is going to be in 2018: sam bradford

i don't think we'll compete in what could be a crazy blowout cousins' auction...and i don't believe that the front office or zimmer are convinced that keenum or teddy can win it all for us...signing bradford and keeping him healthy could be our best bet at winning it all...and maybe they really like sloter and think they can coach him up in another year....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 169
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 6:15:35 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

Cousins might be the best choice. I just hope he has the common sense to take a 23-25ml per year deal and not cripple the teams pay roll.

Not much to debate there.
Case had a pretty darn good year, but his arm won't get much stronger.
Bradford can throw with anyone, but he won't last a season
Teddy is an unknown and his health is a huge question.
Cousins is good enough, but can he be had with what we want to pay?

"Here comes Diggins"!
Post #: 170
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 6:20:57 PM   
kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

Not much to debate there.
Case had a pretty darn good year, but his arm won't get much stronger.
Bradford can throw with anyone, but he won't last a season
Teddy is an unknown and his health is a huge question.
Cousins is good enough, but can he be had with what we want to pay?

So obviously we need Cutler?

Post #: 171
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 6:24:49 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think Shurmur was also fetal....You need a great game plan and a QB that doesn't make mistakes to execute. Case played well all season but didn't play well against Philly....I saw Brady and Ryan struggle for a half each last Super Bowl.

I love Case if we don't invest the combo of high money and years.....I would rather go into next year with Sam or Cousins over Case/Teddy.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 172
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 6:27:46 PM   
Todd M

Teddy's fine and his will won't be denied.

When he gets us there we'll have to look at what we weren't able to snag this year but that was taken away and there's no going back.

He was physically ready WAY above the norm on an injury that wipes out half without even a shot.

Next off season he will be 100% ready to go and the rest of it can have a chance to catch up with that.

IMO we're only a fluke bad thing away from something happening to him in no way different than we'd be with anyone else.
Post #: 173
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 6:41:44 PM   
drviking

Blog 471941763
Access Vikings
Lane Johnson says Eagles used "reverse psychology" to beat Vikings' blitzes
According to Eagles right tackle Lane Johnson, one of the keys to Philadelphia’s 38-7 win was how the Eagles turned the Vikings’ blitz packages against them.
By Ben Goessling January 31, 2018 — 1:40pm

As we stretch toward the middle of Super Bowl week and the Philadelphia Eagles continue their residency in the Twin Cities, there’s still plenty of fascination about the lopsided victory they scored over

the Vikings in the NFC Championship Game and the command they displayed over the league’s top-ranked defense in the process.
According to Eagles right tackle Lane Johnson, one of the keys to Philadelphia’s 38-7 win was the method they used to turn the Vikings’ blitz packages against them.

When the Vikings would line up in the double-A gap blitz look that’s become a staple of their defense under Mike Zimmer, Eagles center Jason Kelce would point at the linebacker (either Eric Kendricks or Anthony Barr) that Philadelphia expected to blitz — or so they wanted the Vikings to assume. In reality, Johnson said, the Eagles were pointing at one linebacker and blocking the other one, effectively goading the Vikings into sending the blitzer Philadelphia wanted.

“Kind of reverse psychology on them,” Johnson said. “We knew what they were trying to do with their safeties. We knew if the D-end was going to tighten down to a tight 5 [technique] that they were going to bring [a blitzer]. So little clues like that.”

On a 3rd-and-11 in the first quarter of the NFC Championship Game, the Vikings lined up with Barr and Kendricks over Kelce, with Harrison Smith showing a blitz off the right side of the Eagles’ line. Kelce pointed at Kendricks, who dropped in coverage, and stepped over to block Barr with no hesitation after the snap. Running back Corey Clement moved from Nick Foles’ left to his right to pick up Smith, and Foles drilled tight end Zach Ertz, who broke Trae Waynes’ tackle for a first down.

It’s a similar approach to the oneformer Vikings center Matt Birk told former Star Tribune Vikings beat writer Matt Venselhe used when facing Zimmer’s Cincinnati Bengals defenses during his time with the Baltimore Ravens.

And with 10:13 left in the third quarter, the Eagles called the play that broke the Vikings’ back. Minnesota lined up with nickel corner Mackensie Alexander near the line of scrimmage on a 1st-and-10, and when left end Danielle Hunter lined up directly over Chance Warmack (in a five-technique setup, in other words), Foles motioned wide receiver Nelson Agholor into a tight split on the right side of the Eagles’ line. Hunter tried to run a stunt to the outside of Alexander, but the Eagles blocked both players, and Foles had time to hand off to Clement, take a pitch from the back and launch a 41-yard strike for a flea-flicker touchdown that put Philadelphia up 31-7.

“Lane can say a lot of things. Wow," defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz said Monday night. "Part of playing division opponents in particular, teams you play a couple times a year, you better have some dummy calls – some things that you say that either you change up, or you're saying to sort of force the defense or the offense to account for that when it really doesn't mean anything. That's just part of football, and I think it comes up the most when you have teams that play each other a lot. If you go to the same calls too much, I think anybody can catalog those and make you pay for them."
After the game, coach Mike Zimmer blamed himself for sticking with the Vikings’ time-tested calls for too long, rather than throwing something else at the Eagles’ offense. It’s difficult to know whether that was specifically to blame on any of the Eagles’ big plays, but Foles’ ability to burn the Vikings’ blitzes was a major factor in the game: he was 12 of 13 for 165 yards and a touchdown when the Vikings sent extra pressure, according to Pro Football Focus.

The Vikings relied less on their double-A gap looks throughout 2017 as teams searched for new ways to stop them, and they’ve never been a high-volume blitz team on the order of clubs like the Cardinals, Panthers and Packers. But as the Vikings make offseason adjustments to their defense, it’s safe to assume they’ll spend plenty of time reviewing tape of a game that the rest of the NFL will undoubtedly study for clues to beating the Vikings’ defense.

“We got outschemed,” Hunter said shortly after the NFC title game. It’s rare to hear a Vikings defender in position to say that, and Johnson’s remarks provided a window into how the Eagles did it.

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 174
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2018 6:55:28 PM   
David Levine

O.U.T.C.O.A.C.H.E.D.
Post #: 175
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode