Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wolves 2018 offseason

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2018 offseason Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/12/2018 8:45:49 AM   
TJSweens

So now we had a players only meeting held by Jimmy Butler to clear the air. Problem is that no players besides Jimmy Butler know anything about it. Even his personal ass kisser, Jeff Teague, says it didn't happen. This just gets weirder and more embarrassing by the hour.

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it.
Post #: 1576
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/12/2018 9:43:16 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

So now we had a players only meeting held by Jimmy Butler to clear the air. Problem is that no players besides Jimmy Butler know anything about it. Even his personal ass kisser, Jeff Teague, says it didn't happen. This just gets weirder and more embarrassing by the hour.

That was very strange.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1577
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/12/2018 9:49:25 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

That was very strange.

Jimmie has been doing strange things his entire career. He is just going further out and is significantly off the radar now. He just slammed the door on any BIG trade and contract. He has made himself a me first player and a locker room cancer.
Post #: 1578
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/12/2018 10:09:57 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruffenach

quote:

quote:

I thought that McHale did a decent job coaching the Rockets. However, he could not get Harden to play enough defense. That issue seem to have been solved by an offensive coach, Who is Leon Rose, KAT's agent?

Yes Leon Rose is KAT's agent.

Not much coming out of the Wolves war room. Nearly all of it comes from other sources. Who are the Top candidates for POBO?

Depends. Are you talking about Glen's top candidates or the actual best NBA ones?

My guess is Glen has now been burned the 2 times he went outside of the Country Club (Kahn and Thibs), so he'll likely hire someone he knows.

As far as top candidates around the league:

Sam Hinkie (People mock the process, but few GMs understand the value of assets more than Sam. He built that franchise).
Mike Zarren, BOS (Considered the biggest rising star among future GMs. Going to be very hard to get him to leave his beloved Celtics)
Kirk Lacob, GSW (Dad owns the team - which makes things tough, but the GM spot is pretty locked up. Involved in the drafting of Klay and Dray, helped them get Durant)
Troy Weaver, OKC (Considered one of the best talent evaluators in the league)
Brian Wright, SAS (May still be too green)
Trajan Langdon, BKN (Really well respected as a scout for the Spurs, was Marks first hire in Brooklyn. Has been a big part of turning around a franchise barren of assets)

< Message edited by David Levine -- 10/12/2018 10:28:14 AM >
Post #: 1579
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/12/2018 10:11:00 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

That was very strange.

Jimmie has been doing strange things his entire career. He is just going further out and is significantly off the radar now. He just slammed the door on any BIG trade and contract. He has made himself a me first player and a locker room cancer.

I'm thinking that we are his only chance at a max contract.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1580
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/12/2018 11:05:20 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Depends. Are you talking about Glen's top candidates or the actual best NBA ones?

Good point. This is the man who thought David Kahn was a great candidate.

I am an extremely stable genius
Post #: 1581
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/12/2018 11:16:13 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

Good point. This is the man who thought David Kahn was a great candidate.

The sad thing is Glen *almost* nailed that hire.

Kahn was his fallback option after Dennis Lindsay pulled out of the running when Glen balked at him replacing some of the Country Club in the front office.

More than any other mistake, that one move would have completely changed the fortunes of our franchise.
Post #: 1582
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/12/2018 11:16:29 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I thought that McHale did a decent job coaching the Rockets. However, he could not get Harden to play enough defense. That issue seem to have been solved by an offensive coach, Who is Leon Rose, KAT's agent?

Not much coming out of the Wolves war room. Nearly all of it comes from other sources. Who are the Top candidates for POBO?

My guess is Glen has now been burned the 2 times he went outside of the Country Club (Kahn and Thibs), so he'll likely hire someone he knows.

Sam Hinkie (People mock the process, but few GMs understand the value of assets more than Sam. He built that franchise).
Mike Zarren, BOS (Considered the biggest rising star among future GMs. Going to be very hard to get him to leave his beloved Celtics)
Kirk Lacob, GSW (Dad owns the team - which makes things tough, but the GM spot is pretty locked up. Involved in the drafting of Klay and Dray, helped them get Durant)
Trajan Langdon, BKN (Really well respected as a scout for the Spurs, was Marks first hire in Brooklyn. Has been a big part of turning around a franchise barren of assets)

Hinkie built that franchise so well that he got fired for making a mockery of the game. Yes they are pretty good now. Nothing great though.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1583
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/12/2018 11:35:13 AM   
Karl Juhnke

This is how bad things have gotten.

At the grocery store today I saw the Star Tribune page one headline 'Towns Flattened. Lives Upended.' I honestly thought it was a Timberwolves story.

I am an extremely stable genius
Post #: 1584
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/12/2018 12:04:34 PM   
ruffenach

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

How many Country club boys are in the organization. Maybe that doesn't matter, because I am sure that Glen has them all in a rolodex. Taylor hired Kahn on the recommendation of the Commissioner. What does he know for sure.
Post #: 1585
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/12/2018 12:53:25 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hinkie built that franchise so well that he got fired for making a mockery of the game. Yes they are pretty good now. Nothing great though.

Sixers (for me) are the funnest team too watch last season.

All the ball movement and the pin point long passing by Simmons coupled with the skill of Ebiid in the post is a good watch unlike our Wolves.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1586
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/12/2018 1:36:57 PM   
ruffenach

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

How many Country club boys are in the organization. Maybe that doesn't matter, because I am sure that Glen has them all in a rolodex. Taylor hired Kahn on the recommendation of the Commissioner. What does he know for sure.

when your POBO encourages "his guys" to be ball hogs, the Wolves is only what you get. You need your players to buy in, you need your layers to have the skills, they also have to be unselfish players. and a culture of fair treatment.
Post #: 1587
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/12/2018 1:42:02 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sixers (for me) are the funnest team too watch last season.

All the ball movement and the pin point long passing by Simmons coupled with the skill of Ebiid in the post is a good watch unlike our Wolves.

Absolutely. Other than Boston, there isn't a team with a brighter future in the league. And they're perfectly positioned to peak when the Warriors and Rockets are on serious declines.

Some people think Hinkie's entire plan was tanking.

It wasn't.

He was all about gathering assets because you need stars. The more assets you have, the better chance of finding one. Embiid's health was a huge gamble, but he was also, by far, the best prospect in that draft. Simmons' injury was post draft and bad luck.

He's a very good judge of talent. Simmons was easy, but Embiid took balls to draft. Noel actually looked like a great draft pick until he went mental after getting hurt. But its not just the top of the draft. He did a great job getting guys like Covington and Saric. He smartly traded away Michael Carter Williams at the very peak of his value (the sheer opposite of Wolves history).

Okafor was a miss, but he was the consensus pick at that spot and Hinkie was lauded for taking him. Even those of us that didn't like Okafor didn't see him out of the NBA so soon. I still had him around 10th in that draft.

He found a great coach that he allowed to struggle and grow with the team. He fostered a fantastic attitude throughout the organization.

If he was to come to Minnesota, he wouldn't be starting over like he did in Philly. We already have our centerpiece star. He just needs to build a better supporting team around him. From coaching to players.

Hinkie is a guy that wins trades, finds undervalued players around the league, actually uses the G-League as an asset and doesn't blow through draft picks and cap space willy nilly like every single GM we've ever had.

People need to stop just reading the headlines or listening to what national blowhards have to say. Its tougher to do your own research and come up with your own conclusions, but you're less likely to look like an idiot (or a sheep) if you do.
Post #: 1588
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/12/2018 3:06:10 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

This is how bad things have gotten.

At the grocery store today I saw the Star Tribune page one headline 'Towns Flattened. Lives Upended.' I honestly thought it was a Timberwolves story.

LOL. That is really funny in a dark humor twisted kind of way.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1589
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/12/2018 6:32:51 PM   
David Levine

Nate:

I think it happens this weekend. They couldn’t fill the coaching spot or make all the changes needed during the 24 hours before a game. While Thibs is away I think the pressure from the business side and the minority owners will force the coaching switch and the Butler trade. I’m not sure what happens to Layden.

I do know that there is a sizable chunk of non basketball ops people who realize what Thibs and Jimmy’s little stunt did for the reputation of the team and it’s best young player. I don’t know what Glen is thinking or where he is at. He will have to cut a big check to solve this quickly.
Post #: 1590
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/12/2018 7:00:54 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Nate:

I think it happens this weekend. They couldn’t fill the coaching spot or make all the changes needed during the 24 hours before a game. While Thibs is away I think the pressure from the business side and the minority owners will force the coaching switch and the Butler trade. I’m not sure what happens to Layden.

I do know that there is a sizable chunk of non basketball ops people who realize what Thibs and Jimmy’s little stunt did for the reputation of the team and it’s best young player. I don’t know what Glen is thinking or where he is at. He will have to cut a big check to solve this quickly.

Guess I'm at the point where I'll believe it when I see it.

This move should have been made as soon as the Butler debacle was made public.

Maybe Glen's legal team is amassing a case so Glen can fire Thib's for cause.

Post #: 1591
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/13/2018 8:16:51 AM   
twinsfan

My source says Taylor is going to fire Thibs this weekend with cause (insubordination).

"That win was for Joe."
Post #: 1592
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/13/2018 10:08:50 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

My source says Taylor is going to fire Thibs this weekend with cause (insubordination).

I sure hope so. This need to get done yesterday
Post #: 1593
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/13/2018 10:13:05 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Wow, just a couple of years ago this place was flooded with posts about what a great hire Thibs was, how he will do this and that, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Big whiff there.
Post #: 1594
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/13/2018 10:33:24 AM   
TJSweens

Oh yeah. There are a lot of us who were dead wrong on that one.

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it.
Post #: 1595
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/13/2018 10:38:13 AM   
David Levine

Lots of stuff at Canis today.

Eric:
The business side is aghast

And are trying to get changes made. They’ve been down on Thibs for a while, and now obviously it’s reached a crisis point. I don’t know enough about who has Glen’s ear or what the internal politics are like to know how much influence they have, but I do know they are desperate to see things change

Nate:
Glen Taylor is a loyalist and the guy he hired to run everything has turned out to not be able to run anything and he is having a hard time wrapping his head around the scale of this problem and what it means for the coaching staff, roster, and front office. It’s a lot to absorb for a guy who had no idea things were this far gone. Also, it’s a shit ton of money and the season starts in 4 days.

I am fairly certain there is a decent chunk of people over there who are loudly telling Glen that Thibs has gotta go and that some of the minority owners have really started to question what in the hell is happening.

The question is critical mass and logistics. Is there a critical mass of people calling for Thibs’ ouster and do they have the time and resources to make a break from…well, a lot of people. The Timberbulls can’t be in that locker room. Butler loyalists will have to go because every sideways glance they give to KAT or every jackass Butler quote about them will be over analyzed to death.
I think it’s really hard to overstate just how ****ed up things are over there right now. They absolutely can’t play the first game with the status quo in tact.

Eric:
All of this

and I’ll add that I think from things I’ve heard that the pressure is getting to Glen, and that he’s a bit paralyzed by it. Also, Nate’s first paragraph…this is key. We are pretty convinced now that Glen had no idea the scale of the problem until recently. Somehow Thibs convinced him that rumblings this summer were no big deal and he’d handle it. All of a sudden, Glen now sees that as the bullshit it was and is.
Post #: 1596
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/13/2018 11:03:49 AM   
Bill Jandro

This situation not only sheds a bad light on this org but the league too.

I wonder if the league itself steps in at least in an advisory capacity to Glen. Thoughts?

Post #: 1597
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/13/2018 11:43:34 AM   
Elliot

I wish someone would ask Taylor how it feels to be the owner of the biggest laughingstock in sports. And not leave until he acknowledges that he is exactly that and provides a real answer.

Life is just what happens to you,
While you're busy making other plans

~ John Lennon
Post #: 1598
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/13/2018 12:06:24 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elliot

I wish someone would ask Taylor how it feels to be the owner of the biggest laughingstock in sports. And not leave until he acknowledges that he is exactly that and provides a real answer.

Thibs and Taylor would be celebrated if not for Butler going psycho. All it takes to destroy your reputation is for one player to go psycho.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1599
RE: Wolves 2018 offseason - 10/13/2018 12:09:06 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elliot

Thibs and Taylor would be celebrated if not for Butler going psycho. All it takes to destroy your reputation is for one player to go psycho.

Thib's has wondered off the reservation on this one too. He kept it under wraps all summer hoping it would all be peachy coming TC.

Couple that with his out dated schemes

Post #: 1600
Page:   <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2018 offseason Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode