Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2018 NFL Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  79 80 [81] 82 83   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/4/2018 1:33:53 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: 69in09

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

So any insight on:
Devante Downs? Very dominant LB when healthy and very big 6'3" 252---maybe a Barr replacement?

He was absolutely huge on D for Cal. Missed the last 5 games of their season and was still their DMVP. I don't think a replacement for Barr more like a backup.
7th round picks usually don't become starters. Sure it could happen, but not likely.

Not true...the only reason he became a 7th rounder is because of the ACL injury....many thought he was a 2nd-3rd round grade if he wouldn't have been injured.

Phil what I said was absolutely true. Check the history of 7th round draft picks. They usually don't become starters. If you want to believe that the Vikings are that much smarter than everyone else and that their 7th round picks and UDFA's will become starters down the road I appreciate your optimism.

That isn't what I said but twist it any way you want. Downs was All Pac 12 before he was hurt.

Kendricks Butkis Award Winner 2nd Team Pac 12
Anthony Barr 1st Team All Pac 12 Def Team

Devante Downs:
Downs led the Bears with a career-high 84 tackles during his junior year in 2016 and was in the running for Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year prior to his 2017 injury in a game against Washington State.

He received Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week honors in two of Cal’s first three games last season and was nominated as a team captain for the remainder of the season between the team’s sixth and seventh games.

Not saying the Vikings are smarter, just that he has credentials similar to our other 2 LBs except he got injured.

Phil, you have patiently and thoroughly explained a very simple concept. Most housepets would probably understand it.

I am done discussing it for the day, he pissed all over a nice talking piece.

Phil if anybody pissed on anything it was you with your outright assertion that my post was NOT TRUE. All I did was reply to your comment about Downs replacing Barr and said I didn't think it was likely. Did that sound like I was attacking you in any way? I was just discussing your idea. Most people appreciate feedback on their ideas. Look in the mirror Phil you were the one who was out to cause a problem.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/4/2018 2:03:08 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2001
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/4/2018 1:43:13 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So any insight on:
Devante Downs? Very dominant LB when healthy and very big 6'3" 252---maybe a Barr replacement?

He was absolutely huge on D for Cal. Missed the last 5 games of their season and was still their DMVP. I don't think a replacement for Barr more like a backup.
7th round picks usually don't become starters. Sure it could happen, but not likely.

Not true...the only reason he became a 7th rounder is because of the ACL injury....many thought he was a 2nd-3rd round grade if he wouldn't have been injured.

Phil what I said was absolutely true. Check the history of 7th round draft picks. They usually don't become starters. If you want to believe that the Vikings are that much smarter than everyone else and that their 7th round picks and UDFA's will become starters down the road I appreciate your optimism.

That isn't what I said but twist it any way you want. Downs was All Pac 12 before he was hurt.

Devante Downs:
Downs led the Bears with a career-high 84 tackles during his junior year in 2016 and was in the running for Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year prior to his 2017 injury in a game against Washington State.

He received Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week honors in two of Cal’s first three games last season and was nominated as a team captain for the remainder of the season between the team’s sixth and seventh games.

Not saying the Vikings are smarter, just that he has credentials similar to our other 2 LBs except he got injured.

Phil, you have patiently and thoroughly explained a very simple concept. Most housepets would probably understand it.

69 I understood the concept. Downs was a skilled college football player. I think I was the first person to jump on his bandwagon. I made a simple comment that most football fans can understand. Probably not house pets though. I don't think House Pets have a solid grasp of what NFL Football is. I don't think the evidence equals Downs being a likely replacement for Barr. Is it OK for me to look at the same evidence that Phil is and come up with a different conclusion? I'm not going to go down your road of insults. It does sadden me that this is the kind of person it seems you want to be.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/4/2018 2:05:10 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2002
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/4/2018 2:09:13 PM   
Phil Riewer

You ended the conversation...I will bring it back up after the 6th game this year after Downs comes off of IR after he is recovered from his ACL injury.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2003
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/4/2018 2:41:33 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

You ended the conversation...I will bring it back up after the 6th game this year after Downs comes off of IR after he is recovered from his ACL injury.

According to Spielman the last thing I heard about Downs is he is expected to be ready by training camp. So if this can be believed he won't need a PUP or IR or anything like that. Downs got injured I think a couple weeks after Cook to give some perspective.
Ian is convinced that he will start on the PUP and miss the entire season. I'm a fan of Downs and am hopeful he can play this year and make the team. To me he seems like a wise draft choice assuming he can get healthy.
It will be exciting to see how well he can do.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/4/2018 2:46:46 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2004
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/4/2018 4:43:25 PM   
69in09

quote:

I think the more likely outcome is they stash him on IR for the year. He's not in a situation where he's going to make a huge contribution in 2018 anyway. The team might want to just use it to our advantage and as an excuse to keep him as an asset, have him in the building, doing his rehab and not count against our roster.

However, I won't badger you about it all day and demand the last word.

This is my burner account.
Post #: 2005
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/4/2018 4:57:04 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

I think the more likely outcome is they stash him on IR for the year. He's not in a situation where he's going to make a huge contribution in 2018 anyway. The team might want to just use it to our advantage and as an excuse to keep him as an asset, have him in the building, doing his rehab and not count against our roster.

However, I won't badger you about it all day and demand the last word.

I have a question about this. Is the team allowed to IR him just because they feel like it or does he have to be actually too injured to play? According to ACL recovery time and everything else I have heard he should be ready to play this season.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2006
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/4/2018 5:19:43 PM   
Bill Jandro

I think being a rookie and missing most if not all of TC puts him too far behind the 8 ball.

IR him would be a smart move.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2007
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/4/2018 5:39:25 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So any insight on:

Devante Downs:

It reminds me a bit of Michael Mauti who had a season ending injury at Penn State, although reading about him here it seems that he missed only the last game of his Senior year. Still, he was drafted while still being injured.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Mauti

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 2008
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/4/2018 5:56:28 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I think being a rookie and missing most if not all of TC puts him too far behind the 8 ball.

Bill, do you have any information I haven't heard? It seems like many of us are speculating about him missing time based on nothing other than he had an ACL injury. He had his injury just a little bit after Dalvin Cook had his. The only thing I ever heard on this was that Spielman expects him to be ready for training camp.
Are teams given the option to IR players that are healthy just because they want to stash them for a year.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2009
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/4/2018 10:49:27 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

Bill, do you have any information I haven't heard? It seems like many of us are speculating about him missing time based on nothing other than he had an ACL injury. He had his injury just a little bit after Dalvin Cook had his. The only thing I ever heard on this was that Spielman expects him to be ready for training camp.
Are teams given the option to IR players that are healthy just because they want to stash them for a year.

Bill is in "Off with his Head!" mode.
Post #: 2010
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/4/2018 11:47:11 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

I don't think Bill would be in an off with anybodies head mode over an honest question. Tom I have a serious question. There is all this PUP and IR talk. It seems like many people are treating his health condition as a gimmick the Vikings can manipulate however they want. I'm guessing that kind of stuff does go on. I'm guessing it officially would be a violation of league rules. No motive other than finding out more about this from knowledgeable Vikings fans on this board.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2011
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/5/2018 6:25:55 AM   
Phil Riewer

Downs could play in 2018 and players are recovering faster from ACL injuries but learning a new defense and recovering from surgery might take a while.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2012
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/5/2018 6:51:00 AM   
Bruce Johnson

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/3-Observations-Hughes-Conklin-Smooth-at-Vikings-Rookie-Minicamp-/c5abf6bd-97da-4eef-a224-39b3ffb19d63

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 2013
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/5/2018 8:06:13 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't think Bill would be in an off with anybodies head mode over an honest question. Tom I have a serious question. There is all this PUP and IR talk. It seems like many people are treating his health condition as a gimmick the Vikings can manipulate however they want. I'm guessing that kind of stuff does go on. I'm guessing it officially would be a violation of league rules. No motive other than finding out more about this from knowledgeable Vikings fans on this board.

No I don't want to cut off the guy's head. Sounds like a great prospect.

To answer your question KG, no they can't IR a healthy player. However, if he isn't fully recovered from the ACL they certainly can.

From what I read he would be limited in TC.

The only reason I'd be in favor of putting him on IR is that we could stash him w/o costing us a roster spot.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2014
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/5/2018 9:12:50 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

To answer your question KG, no they can't IR a healthy player. However, if he isn't fully recovered from the ACL they certainly can.

The only reason I'd be in favor of putting him on IR is that we could stash him w/o costing us a roster spot.

I read that he would be limited for mini camp. You may have read the same thing. This is from Rotoworld.

Vikings seventh-round LB Devante Downs remains limited coming off a knee injury he suffered at Cal last season.
Downs hasn't been able to do much at Vikings minicamp and remains without a timetable. When healthy, the seventh-rounder expects to see reps at middle linebacker while also playing on special teams. May 4 - 2:42 PM

The part about without a timetable leaves things open for speculation. I saw an interview on Vikings.com with Wobby and Spielman which is the only place I heard it was an ACL and Spielman specifically said he should be ready for training camp. Of course time will tell, but I want to know now.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2015
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/5/2018 9:25:21 AM   
kgdabom

Here is pre draft commentary from Peter Schrager who was probably the person with the highest opinion of Hughes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN6RujCJ3YQ

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2016
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/5/2018 9:44:27 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I read that he would be limited for mini camp. You may have read the same thing. This is from Rotoworld.

Vikings seventh-round LB Devante Downs remains limited coming off a knee injury he suffered at Cal last season.
Downs hasn't been able to do much at Vikings minicamp and remains without a timetable. When healthy, the seventh-rounder expects to see reps at middle linebacker while also playing on special teams. May 4 - 2:42 PM

The part about without a timetable leaves things open for speculation. I saw an interview on Vikings.com with Wobby and Spielman which is the only place I heard it was an ACL and Spielman specifically said he should be ready for training camp. Of course time will tell, but I want to know now.

Enquiring minds want to know.
Post #: 2017
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/5/2018 11:35:19 AM   
kurt bilben

Well perhaps 10-15 years in a row of damn near straight A’s for the Packers drafts.

They are on like their 3rd rebuild of their secondary in the last 4 drafts which all got A’s.

They had to use 3 draft picks last year on RB’s to see if they could find one (Which they got largely hailed for)

Sheesh if Spielman draft three players at one position just to find his starter he’d have gotten crushed.

I say most of this tongue in cheek of course, as instantaneous grading of any draft is foolish IMO, but the immediate accolades they get is ridiculous.

I think they’re more Erin Rodgers, and Erin Rodgers alone more then ever..
Post #: 2018
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/5/2018 11:42:26 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Enquiring minds want to know.

Yep.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2019
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/5/2018 5:58:06 PM   
Bruce Johnson

It's likely that these were posted before, but if you missed them, I think there's more detail about the player than NFL.com, including videos of the players, especially O'Neill.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018mhughes.php

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018boneill.php

Post #: 2020
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/5/2018 6:02:30 PM   
Bruce Johnson

One thing that surprised me at the draft was that we didn't draft a wide receiver. I thought there would be some good ones to choose from in the sixth round. The free agents that we picked up may have changed that. We added two of them. (King and Wright)

Post #: 2021
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/5/2018 8:13:29 PM   
kgdabom

I know that signing draft picks is pretty much a formality, but it's nice to see it get done.

Vikings signed fifth round TE Tyler Conklin to a four-year, $2.74 million contract.

The deal comes with a $281K bonus. Minnesota traded up on Day 3 for Conklin — a two-year starter with 71st-percentile SPARQ scores. Conklin should push David Morgan to open the season behind Kyle Rudolph. First-round CB Mike Hughes is the Vikings' only unsigned pick.

Vikings signed fourth round DE Jalyn Holmes to a four-year, $3.19 million contract.

Holmes was limited to a rotational role all four years at Ohio State. The Vikings drafted him to compete for subpackage snaps with NT Linval Joseph. Holmes will also back up locked-in starters Danielle Hunter and Everson Griffen.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2022
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/6/2018 1:07:02 AM   
69in09

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

Well perhaps 10-15 years in a row of damn near straight A’s for the Packers drafts.

They are on like their 3rd rebuild of their secondary in the last 4 drafts which all got A’s.

They had to use 3 draft picks last year on RB’s to see if they could find one (Which they got largely hailed for)

Sheesh if Spielman draft three players at one position just to find his starter he’d have gotten crushed.

I say most of this tongue in cheek of course, as instantaneous grading of any draft is foolish IMO, but the immediate accolades they get is ridiculous.

I think they’re more Erin Rodgers, and Erin Rodgers alone more then ever..

I was sad to see the Ted Thompson and crew get shipped out, they were so consistently bad. Thankfully this new group looks just as awful.

This is my burner account.
Post #: 2023
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/6/2018 1:37:17 AM   
Bruce Johnson

https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/05/mackensie-alexanders-twin-brother-mackenro-trying-out-for-vikings/

Post #: 2024
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/6/2018 5:43:22 PM   
Bruce Johnson

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Rookie-Minicamp-Highlights-From-Saturday/bc98aa08-7988-4f9a-b025-662366dffe21

Not much chatting today, is there.

Post #: 2025
Page:   <<   < prev  79 80 [81] 82 83   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  79 80 [81] 82 83   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode