Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2018 NFL Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/18/2018 10:26:17 AM   
DeLain

My neighbor once tackled Marcus Allen after he had scored a touchdown and started punching him. Marcus Allen then got up and helped my neighbor up.

Marcus Allen is my biggest regret all time on not drafting a guy. We passed him over for Darren Nelson..."Who would be better on turf". I was just shocked at the selection at the time.
Post #: 2051
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/18/2018 10:42:58 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: DeLain

My neighbor once tackled Marcus Allen after he had scored a touchdown and started punching him. Marcus Allen then got up and helped my neighbor up.

Marcus Allen is my biggest regret all time on not drafting a guy. We passed him over for Darren Nelson..."Who would be better on turf". I was just shocked at the selection at the time.

Dang Denny's Stanford bias----I think Denny just hated USC. They Anti-Brad have you....

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2052
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/18/2018 10:47:27 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Dang Denny's Stanford bias----I think Denny just hated USC. They Anti-Brad have you....

Who made that call? Mike (Herschel) Lynn?
Post #: 2053
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/18/2018 10:53:01 AM   
DeLain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Who made that call? Mike (Herschel) Lynn?

Dennis Green

Stanford (1977–1978)
Running backs coach
San Francisco 49ers (1979)
Special teams coach
Stanford (1980)
Offensive coordinator
Northwestern (1981–1985)
Head coach
San Francisco 49ers (1986–1988)
Wide receivers coach
Stanford (1989–1991)
Head coach

Like Phil said....there was a lot of bias...
Post #: 2054
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/18/2018 11:10:41 AM   
bohumm

So Denny ran our draft while he was head coach at Northwestern?
Post #: 2055
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/18/2018 11:25:31 AM   
DeLain

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

So Denny ran our draft while he was head coach at Northwestern?

That was just a reminder from the old days posting at the Strib. Denny did not once draft a guy from USC when he might have should. He drafted a few Stanford guys.
Post #: 2056
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/18/2018 12:53:12 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

I’ve been pissed off about that, off and on, for years.

Would have made more sense if Nelson had not have been a midget.

Here’s what really irks me.

No one cares.
The losing?
No one cares.

Not the players
Not the Coaches
Not Dick and Bert
Not the Owners
Not the Front Office
And Not most of the fans.
Post #: 2057
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/20/2018 7:22:56 PM   
Bruce Johnson

https://nflspinzone.com/2018/05/02/minnesota-vikings-2018-nfl-draft-redo/

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 2058
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/20/2018 7:26:16 PM   
Bruce Johnson

https://nflspinzone.com/2018/04/29/minnesota-vikings-grading-every-2018-nfl-draft-pick/

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 2059
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/21/2018 2:51:28 PM   
Bruce Johnson

https://zonecoverage.com/2018/vikings/crunching-the-numbers-the-analytics-behind-the-udfas/ (By Arif)

I read somewhere that the Vikings paid a lot of money for wide receiver, Korey Robertson. Based on that, he might be someone to watch in the camps.

It's interesting to read about Mike Boone on what he did well (I mean he really did well in the broad jump) and what he didn't do well, which are actually specifically critical for the running backs.

Post #: 2060
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/21/2018 7:21:44 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I agree with a lot of this article.

Frankly, it's easier to get excited about our UDFA's than our draft picks.

Hernandez or Daniels at 30 and I would have been a happy camper....

Fix it Zimmer!!
Post #: 2061
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/21/2018 10:12:36 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

I agree with a lot of this article.

Frankly, it's easier to get excited about our UDFA's than our draft picks.

Hernandez or Daniels at 30 and I would have been a happy camper....

I too would have been happier with Daniels or Hernandez at 30 and the best available CB at 62. However, O'neill actually only gave up one sack all year playing against some pretty good competition like Chubb.
Hopefully he can play well enough to make us forget about Hernandez and Daniels.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2062
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 5/26/2018 3:52:50 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Just thinking about our second round draft pick. Connor Williams was a possible OT, but he may wind up playing at guard. I don't know. If you don't count on him, you have to go back to Isaiah Wynn 38 draft picks earlier than O'Neil where an OT was taken, but again Wynn may wind up at guard, as well. Yes, there was a run on offensive linemen in the first and early second round, but these were guards. I'm just thinking that I'm grateful that O'Neil was still there, because if he wasn't there, then the next o-lineman to go was Parker who was considered to be a real project. It really could have been worse. O'Neil does seem to have size and frame to be a true OT. True, he needs to develop his strength, but that's something that's easily achievable. If he had been already strong, clearly he would have gone earlier and possibly in the first round. It's that hard to find a true OT. Just think about it. The OT before Wynn was Kolton Miller who was taken at pick #15. Would you rather have Miller at #15 or O'Neil at #62. I'll take O'Neil, thank you.

I'm not sure yet what the impact will be on the rule changes for the kickoff, but the selection of Hughes just might be huge. He was rated by Priefer as the number one return man available in the draft. I know that some of us are down on the selection of the corner in the first round, but it could be a bit of an under the radar impact on our 2018 team. I always have thought that special teams are underrated- that they are more significant than most realize.

Of course we selected a kicker in the draft. He's definitely a special teamer. With his big leg, not only he's going to prevent the opposition from returning kicks, but I believe he may prevent injuries, as well. That's another under the radar kind of move, I believe. Forbath has been actually pretty good as a field goal kicker, fair at best as an extra point kicker, but also he lacked the leg to kick the ball out of the end zone. With our defense, it's nice to make the opposition go a whole 75 yards in order to score a touchdown and with kickoffs not being returned, it might indirectly help keep the defense a little fresher at the end of the games.

Post #: 2063
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/20/2018 3:57:25 PM   
Dave Odle

This guy slipped under my radar. He sounds like an interesting prospect. There's even speculation that he could start after looking good in practice. 6' 2" and a 4.4 40? Whoa!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.burntorangenation.com/platform/amp/2018/6/4/17420800/minnesota-vikings-former-texas-longhorns-holton-hill-starter-ability

Could this be the year?
Post #: 2064
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/20/2018 4:29:48 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

This guy slipped under my radar. He sounds like an interesting prospect. There's even speculation that he could start after looking good in practice. 6' 2" and a 4.4 40? Whoa!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.burntorangenation.com/platform/amp/2018/6/4/17420800/minnesota-vikings-former-texas-longhorns-holton-hill-starter-ability

If you are Marcus Sherels you're not happy with the Vikings draft picking up Mike Hughes. Sherels made the team based on special teams and he is really good,there, but he's questionable as a corner. If Hughes works out with the return duties, then Sherels will be gone and our depth at corner will appreciate measurably. Then the Vikings picked up Hill.

In my opinion, Hill is a lock to be a roster player. After giving him the largest signing bonus in franchise history to a non drafted player, they will not release him with hopes to make it to the practice squad. Therefore, Alexander has to be really nervous. It could be between him and Newman, I believe. Will the Vikings keep six corners? Maybe, but maybe not.

Post #: 2065
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/20/2018 5:23:24 PM   
Ian Joseph

They'll keep six corners. No reason not to.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 2066
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/21/2018 8:20:51 AM   
Bill Jandro

If Sherels is cut he won't be unemployed long

MLB---Choose well and Championships will follow
Post #: 2067
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/21/2018 8:32:13 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

It must be that I'm getting old because I can't remember who the 6th corner was last year. Who was that player?

Both Alexander and Newman do not excel on special teams. It's possible they keep them both though, especially if Newman is considered to be an extra safety. We are definitely adding two rookies to the team. I bet Hill will be a stud on special teams.

Post #: 2068
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/21/2018 8:47:38 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

It must be that I'm getting old because I can't remember who the 6th corner was last year. Who was that player?

Both Alexander and Newman do not excel on special teams. It's possible they keep them both though, especially if Newman is considered to be an extra safety. We are definitely adding two rookies to the team. I bet Hill will be a stud on special teams.

Rhodes
Waynes
Newman
Alexander
Price
Sherels

< Message edited by Ian Joseph -- 7/21/2018 8:57:56 AM >

Believe.
Post #: 2069
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/21/2018 8:59:08 AM   
Todd M

Well one of them has to go, right?

Rhodes
Waynes
Alexander
Hughes

Then 2 of 3 between

Hill
Sherels
Newman

I say Nay Nay!
Post #: 2070
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/21/2018 9:03:56 AM   
Ian Joseph

If Hughes shows to be a good return man, Sherels is out.

Believe.
Post #: 2071
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/21/2018 9:05:01 AM   
stfrank

quote:

Sherels is also a top gunner, so Hughes had best be good at that too.
Post #: 2072
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/21/2018 10:41:11 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

quote:

Sherels is also a top gunner, so Hughes had best be good at that too.

Well, that's a Hill problem. I dont know that Hughes will be used in that way.

Believe.
Post #: 2073
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/21/2018 10:52:06 AM   
Bill Jandro

If Hughes is a solid return guy Sherels is out. It's as simple as that.

But he better be sure handed. We know he has wheels and can take it to the house but any fumbles or muffed punts in PS will give Zim pause.

MLB---Choose well and Championships will follow
Post #: 2074
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/21/2018 1:02:20 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Rhodes
Waynes
Newman
Alexander
Price
Sherels

Sorry, but Price not on last year's team. He was released on Sept 2nd.

Post #: 2075
Page:   <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode