Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2018 NFL Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  81 82 83 [84] 85   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/21/2018 1:11:57 PM   
Bruce Johnson

But we did have six corners in 2016. I think it is a worthwhile point that if we keep 6 corners you would want them active on special teams. That's why I'm saying that Newman and Alexander can not take it for granted that they will both make the roster. Of course if another corner gets hurt, then they're both in. Sherels is done, I'm afraid. We think that every year- this time it happens.

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 2076
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/21/2018 1:16:48 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

They'll keep six corners. No reason not to.

It must be that I'm getting old because I can't remember who the 6th corner was last year. Who was that player?

Both Alexander and Newman do not excel on special teams. It's possible they keep them both though, especially if Newman is considered to be an extra safety. We are definitely adding two rookies to the team. I bet Hill will be a stud on special teams.

Rhodes
Waynes
Newman
Alexander
Price
Sherels

Sorry, but Price not on last year's team. He was released on Sept 2nd.

I know they kept six corners. Tocho?

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 2077
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/21/2018 1:34:21 PM   
Bruce Johnson

He's a safety.

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 2078
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/21/2018 2:29:21 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

He's a safety.

They were talking about him being both. I know he didnt make the initial roster, but they signed him to it later.

Eh, whatever lol. Not that important for me to figure it out.

Believe.
Post #: 2079
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/21/2018 5:02:06 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I don't believe Tocho made the roster either. He was off and on the practice squad so he still belongs to the Vikings.

I was listening to KFAN today and one of guys with Kriesel today reported that Mike Hughes was the real deal. He said that he watched him practice during the mini-camp and there was sort of a buzz among the other players who seemed to be genuinely excited about the new guy who was going to play with them. Sorry, I don't which voice it was. Joe something. He's not a regular.

Paul Allen came on later and said he expects that Newman will be used more as safety. He also likes Aruna and Zylstra's chances of making the team.

He said that the new offensive coordinator will expand upon a "motion, movement and stretch" philosophy that we have seen to some extent in the past. I'm not sure what that means.

He said that Cousins does move really well while still looking down the field, which can help some of the deficiency of the offensive line. He has some hope that the offensive line could benefit with some second year players who can take a nice step forward.

He also said that this team has a chance to be "considerably better than 11-5" . With our schedule, I would take that, but whoa, if we do better than that than this team will truly be elite. He seems to think that the offense will take some time to develop and click.

The pass/ run option play is something that Cousins did experience at Michigan State. (I heard that at another part of the show.)

Post #: 2080
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/21/2018 5:41:26 PM   
Pager

The guy we traded for, from the 49ers I think. Signed as a free agent with Broncos.

I'll have to look him up

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2081
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/21/2018 5:42:08 PM   
Pager

Traimane Brock.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2082
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/21/2018 6:33:16 PM   
Bruce Johnson

You're right. I forgot about him. Thank you. So there were six last year, too. So, perhaps Alexander's job is safe. Paul Charchian was saying on the radio yesterday that he would not be surprised if he got cut. We'll see. Too early.

He had six tackles, two assists and one pass defended. Maybe I can be forgiven for forgetting him.

I know from chatting before that Ian is not an "end of the roster" guy, so he should be forgiven, too. I would say, I am interested in the end of the roster, but I want them to be good at special teams. .

Post #: 2083
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/21/2018 7:07:36 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

You're right. I forgot about him. Thank you. So there were six last year, too. So, perhaps Alexander's job is safe. Paul Charchian was saying on the radio yesterday that he would not be surprised if he got cut. We'll see. Too early.

He had six tackles, two assists and one pass defended. Maybe I can be forgiven for forgetting him.

I know from chatting before that Ian is not an "end of the roster" guy, so he should be forgiven, too. I would say, I am interested in the end of the roster, but I want them to be good at special teams. .

there is absolutely no way they cut alexander - he's only making $1.2m with $650k dead money...if/when hughes beats him out he'll be a solid backup for a couple of years...it would not shock me if newman didn't make the final 53 - zero dead money...i think we keep all six....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2084
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/21/2018 7:10:58 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

I have been watching the Condensed games and have noticed that Mack is actually pretty good. I would be shocked if he was cut.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2085
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/21/2018 8:51:56 PM   
Ian Joseph

Nothing short of him of abusing his girlfriend or dog will see Mac get cut during this training camp.

Believe.
Post #: 2086
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/21/2018 9:19:43 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

Actually, I take pride in knowing our entire roster, including camp guys. Forgetting about Brock brothers me a small touch lol.

Believe.
Post #: 2087
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/22/2018 1:53:11 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I'm going to change the subject before I make even more of a fool of myself.

Post #: 2088
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/22/2018 8:16:59 AM   
Bill Jandro

Brock was terrible.

Hopefully Hill will be better. Shouldn't be a problem.

MLB---Choose well and Championships will follow
Post #: 2089
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/22/2018 8:26:00 AM   
kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Brock was terrible.

Hopefully Hill will be better. Shouldn't be a problem.

I certainly expected more from Brock as well.

Was exposed every time he was put in.

Staggering how far we’ve come in secondary talent since the low of the Wasswa Serwanga days..

Hill could turn it all around, but a pretty low risk gamble worth taking in our current situation. IMO.
Post #: 2090
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/22/2018 9:46:36 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Most Gopher fans knew Brock was JAG. I was actually pretty amazed at how much ppl were excited when we signed him.
Post #: 2091
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/22/2018 10:42:48 AM   
Ian Joseph

I was excited becuz he was a veteran guy we had for what I thought was solid depth. Oh well. Still mad at myself about forgetting that we traded a 7th rounder to Seattle for him.

Believe.
Post #: 2092
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/22/2018 11:18:16 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Most Gopher fans knew Brock was JAG. I was actually pretty amazed at how much ppl were excited when we signed him.

Huh?

Did he have an epically bad game against us or something?
Post #: 2093
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/22/2018 11:27:45 AM   
ratoppenheimer

i think that if hughes wins the starting position at nickel cb then there's a chance that newman doesn't make the final 53...if alexander is starting, i don't think zimmer wants two rookies as the next man up....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2094
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/22/2018 11:33:07 AM   
Ian Joseph

Who is the 7th corner that makes Newman expendable if hes not the nickel? Remember that Zimmer loves his leadership within the secondary.

Believe.
Post #: 2095
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/22/2018 2:01:58 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Huh?

??

He played one season for the Gophers and wasn't particularly impressive. I guess, in his defense, that whole D was pretty blah.
Post #: 2096
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/22/2018 2:35:57 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Who is the 7th corner that makes Newman expendable if hes not the nickel? Remember that Zimmer loves his leadership within the secondary.

If they decide to let Newman go, he may transition directly to our DB coaching staff.
Post #: 2097
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/24/2018 12:48:12 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Huh?

??

He played one season for the Gophers and wasn't particularly impressive. I guess, in his defense, that whole D was pretty blah.

Honestly didn't remember his year with us during his college tour...
Post #: 2098
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 7/24/2018 10:03:02 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

I was excited becuz he was a veteran guy we had for what I thought was solid depth. Oh well. Still mad at myself about forgetting that we traded a 7th rounder to Seattle for him.

Perhaps you subconsciously wanted to forget about him after watching him play.

Al least that's what I told myself.

MLB---Choose well and Championships will follow
Post #: 2099
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 8/4/2018 2:11:47 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Justin Sampson

quote:

Anyone else getting Blair Walsh flashbacks?

No, because this guy was money in the clutch at Auburn.

Hopefully he's an absolute horndog with no romantic notions.

I hear that ....

(My only comment for the Draft thread)
Post #: 2100
Page:   <<   < prev  81 82 83 [84] 85   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  81 82 83 [84] 85   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode