Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2018 NFL Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  86 87 [88] 89 90   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/8/2019 9:24:53 AM   
marty

I think Tice was a GREAT OL coach, not much as an OC.

He made good players great, the OLs for Minnesota were incredible 1997-2001. I also thought he had the Bears OL working well, then it regressed when they made him OC.

Tice also had the Raiders OL really working well, the Raiders offense was cooking pretty good, having Murray, and Cooper to help out Carr

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2176
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/8/2019 7:52:25 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Mike Tice

I didn't want to mention meathead, and I think he's essentially retired now and doesn't have interest in coming back.

But He was a good Oline coach when he had a HOFer, a top notch LT (before he died) and a very good Center (Christy) and solid other guys like Dixon, Steussie and Lindsay (as the all world backup).

I would be dubious about hiring him. He did well because he had great players. Most coaches would.

Christy was a 4th rounder cut by the Cardinals.

Birk was a 6th rounder.

David Dixon was a 9th rounder. Cut by NE.

Lindsay a 5th rounder.

I think his MO was developing players. Especially low rounders. Didn't Green always give him a 6th round development guy to coach up?

How many 4-6th rounders have been developed by this team in the last 4 years? Maybe Easton or Berger (depending on who you give credit to and how good you consider Easton).

We have literally developed no one on the oline in the Zimmer years. Edison/Izzy can't be that good if they can't beat out Compton and Remmers.

Tice or anyone else would probably be an upgrade.

< Message edited by Pager -- 1/8/2019 10:35:37 PM >

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2177
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/8/2019 8:20:59 PM   
Ricky J

Always hated the nickname, "Meathead"

Sounds terrible, judgmental and unfair.

Just me but when I hear people call him that I loss a little bit ...
Post #: 2178
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/8/2019 8:41:13 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

It’s not just you..
Tice was hamstrung big time by the beap chastard.....
What he did for and with the team he had, with half a staff, was simply an example of a man judged Thur the tunnel vision of wins and losses and things he said that people couldn’t understand or comprehend in the context of the NFL.

Zimmer has been no better or worse than Tice, IMO.

That’s not a fair comparison, just my opinion.

"Thou shall not bear false witness"
There will be hell to pay.
Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the “M” is silent.......
Post #: 2179
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/8/2019 10:35:45 PM   
marty

Tice just doesn't sound very bright when he talks. Mike McCarthy sounds similar, and McCarthy has a ring. But could McCarthy get a ring without a HOF QB ?

McCarthy sounds like an interesting possibility for OC. He believes at times in imposing your will with the run game. At times, I think he was a good play caller. Could he bring out the best in Cousins ?

Cousins and Rodgers are similar in that they are in their 30s, and they both like to throw deep, not the greatest with their short passing games. Rodgers is obviously better at deep balls, better mobility, and better pocket presence, but they are similar QBs.

At least McCarthy has been part of a SB winner, he has a demeanor that is good for bouncing back. If he got Cousins and the offense to be decent, and Zimmer got the defense to again be aggressive, who knows ???

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2180
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/10/2019 6:52:17 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Tice just doesn't sound very bright when he talks. Mike McCarthy sounds similar, and McCarthy has a ring. But could McCarthy get a ring without a HOF QB ?

McCarthy sounds like an interesting possibility for OC. He believes at times in imposing your will with the run game. At times, I think he was a good play caller. Could he bring out the best in Cousins ?

Cousins and Rodgers are similar in that they are in their 30s, and they both like to throw deep, not the greatest with their short passing games. Rodgers is obviously better at deep balls, better mobility, and better pocket presence, but they are similar QBs.

At least McCarthy has been part of a SB winner, he has a demeanor that is good for bouncing back. If he got Cousins and the offense to be decent, and Zimmer got the defense to again be aggressive, who knows ???

More packer references to their ring. It's endless how you always weave that in.

You should make a pilgrimage there and kiss a ring. Seriously, go track one down. Ask to hold it. Fondle it, cherish it. Then slyly kiss it and blame it on so much love and emotion just erupting at once. Say thanks and that it was your life's dream. Then pilgrimage back.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/10/2019 6:54:40 PM >
Post #: 2181
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/10/2019 7:59:11 PM   
marty

< Message edited by marty -- 1/10/2019 8:02:30 PM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2182
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/10/2019 7:59:53 PM   
marty

< Message edited by marty -- 1/10/2019 8:01:17 PM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2183
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/10/2019 8:00:17 PM   
marty

Bill, your last post sounded really stupid.

I value people that have been part of winning the SB. I posted in the other thread about maybe the position people are when they get a ring, is the best place for them, they usually get promoted too high after that. It has nothing to do with Packers.

I think more coaches should just stay where they are, do it well, and I think if teams take them away, it shouldn't be a promotion, it should be just the same job they did well, just getting paid more. Not saying NO promotions, just that there should be fewer.

For example, it's possible that Zimmer's best role, is being a defensive backs coach. That is where he got his rings, after that, in higher places, his teams have not played well in the playoffs.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2184
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/11/2019 6:58:16 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

I agree. Always liked Tice.

However, he did earn that nickname with akward pressers and hard to forget what happened on draft day when he was late tuning in card for a top ten draft pick.

MLB---Choose well and Championships will follow
Post #: 2185
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/11/2019 7:23:12 AM   
Todd M

quote:

Hard to forget

When you don't remember it right maybe you should forget it...

There was nothing dumb about what happened. Clock and trade shennanigans happened.

Waking up.
Post #: 2186
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/11/2019 7:31:59 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

Hard to forget

There was nothing dumb about what happened. Clock and trade shennanigans happened.

And Tice with the 7th pick didn't get his card turned in until pick 9

If that wasn't emberassing IDK what to tell you

Post #: 2187
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/11/2019 8:08:30 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Hard to forget

It's my opinion that coaches are the dumbest animals on earth - from elementary school on up

- not sure that's a good enough reason to call 'em meatheads
Post #: 2188
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/11/2019 8:50:06 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hard to forget

I agree. Whatever was in play, should have had a card ready before the clock expired.
Post #: 2189
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/11/2019 11:09:00 AM   
bohumm

Old cliche:

Football coaches have to be smart enough to win, but dumb enough to think that it matters a great deal.

There are a lot of things in life like that.
Post #: 2190
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/11/2019 11:22:46 AM   
Phil Riewer

Arif thinks we could get a very good to great Guard in the 2nd round, grab a top DT in the first round, and grab a TE.
1 Jeffery Simmons DL Miss St
2 Daryl Williams G Miss St
3 Isiah Prince OT OSU
4 Kaden Smith TE Stanford
6 Edge Rusher Malik Reed Nevada
6 Blake Cashman LB MN
7 Juwan Johnson WR Penn St
7 Amani Hooker S Iowa

Leans at cutting Sendejo and Trading Remmers. Restructuring Griffen and Reiff with Signing Bonuses and Extend Waynes and Theilen to get their cap number down.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2191
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/11/2019 11:42:06 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Arif thinks we could get a very good to great Guard in the 2nd round, grab a top DT in the first round, and grab a TE.
3 Isiah Prince OT OSU
6 Blake Cashman LB MN
7 Amani Hooker S Iowa

Leans at cutting Sendejo and Trading Remmers. Restructuring Griffen and Reiff with Signing Bonuses and Extend Waynes and Theilen to get their cap number down.

I think you either trade Rhodes for high end Olineman or let Waynes go and get future compensatory pick. I lean letting Waynes go.

Griffen and Reiff need to re-structure and make less money and, like you said, Thielen needs to get more money up front and add on a year or two.

Sendejo, Remmers and Rudy gone. Rudy probably thinks he should be extended so he will never take a pay cut.
Post #: 2192
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/11/2019 12:12:40 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

3 Isiah Prince OT OSU
6 Blake Cashman LB MN
7 Amani Hooker S Iowa

Honestly, I can't see why cutting Sendejo wouldn't be a given at this point. He is currently the 4th best player at his position on the roster.

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it. - Harold Kaese
Post #: 2193
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/11/2019 12:14:27 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

3 Isiah Prince OT OSU
6 Blake Cashman LB MN
7 Amani Hooker S Iowa

I think you either trade Rhodes for high end Olineman or let Waynes go and get future compensatory pick. I lean letting Waynes go.

Griffen and Reiff need to re-structure and make less money and, like you said, Thielen needs to get more money up front and add on a year or two.

Sendejo, Remmers and Rudy gone. Rudy probably thinks he should be extended so he will never take a pay cut.

They wouldn't be able to move Rhodes at draft time as they eat a lot of dead cap space. They would have to move him after June 1 when his dead cap money drops to something like $1.3 million.

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it. - Harold Kaese
Post #: 2194
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/11/2019 12:29:00 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

3 Isiah Prince OT OSU
6 Blake Cashman LB MN
7 Amani Hooker S Iowa

They wouldn't be able to move Rhodes at draft time as they eat a lot of dead cap space. They would have to move him after June 1 when his dead cap money drops to something like $1.3 million.

Or just get him a year round trainer. Is it just bad luck that he has hamstring, groin, calf muscle injuries every year or does he need to change something in his regime?
Post #: 2195
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/11/2019 12:40:46 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Bill, your last post sounded really stupid.

I value people that have been part of winning the SB. I posted in the other thread about maybe the position people are when they get a ring, is the best place for them, they usually get promoted too high after that. It has nothing to do with Packers.

I think more coaches should just stay where they are, do it well, and I think if teams take them away, it shouldn't be a promotion, it should be just the same job they did well, just getting paid more. Not saying NO promotions, just that there should be fewer.

For example, it's possible that Zimmer's best role, is being a defensive backs coach. That is where he got his rings, after that, in higher places, his teams have not played well in the playoffs.

Denial is a pretty wide river.

You are delusional. For you, it's posting, however slyly, about the ring-kissing packers every chance you get.
Post #: 2196
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/11/2019 12:43:11 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

I agree. Always liked Tice.

However, he did earn that nickname with akward pressers and hard to forget what happened on draft day when he was late tuning in card for a top ten draft pick.

Meathead was bad. I preferred Fred Flintstone. Dumb as a box o rocks.

he had a bunch of claims to earn that. As an aside, wasn't he scalping tickets or something after the NFL warned against it?
Post #: 2197
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/11/2019 6:21:54 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

3 Isiah Prince OT OSU
6 Blake Cashman LB MN
7 Amani Hooker S Iowa

Honestly, I can't see why cutting Sendejo wouldn't be a given at this point. He is currently the 4th best player at his position on the roster.

He seems to be hurt a lot the last couple seasons. Mostly self inflicted

Harris will do fine. He's better in coverage and is a better fit next to Smith

Post #: 2198
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/11/2019 8:36:13 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

3 Isiah Prince OT OSU
6 Blake Cashman LB MN
7 Amani Hooker S Iowa

I heard Thielen hit $3M in incentives this year.
Post #: 2199
RE: 2018 NFL Draft - 1/11/2019 8:38:57 PM   
thebigo

quote:

3 Isiah Prince OT OSU
6 Blake Cashman LB MN
7 Amani Hooker S Iowa

I doubt they would be able to reduce Thielen's cap number much, any redoing of his contract is going to increase his $.
Post #: 2200
Page:   <<   < prev  86 87 [88] 89 90   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2018 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  86 87 [88] 89 90   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode