Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: jbusse, beo
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 3:55:13 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

again, easton is shot....

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
Vikings’ G Nick Easton underwent surgery this morning to correct a herniated disc in his neck and his season is likely over, per his agent Joe Linta. But it is not expected to be a career-ending injury.

This is why you draft a Guard in the 1st round, when your biggest need is at Guard. Every Vikings fan could see this scenario coming a mile away...

What if they didn't like any of the Guards available? Do you still take one?

By all accounts, it was a deep year for guards, so hard to believe they didn't like any, especially given their lack of depth at that spot.

Just saying if you don't think a guy is worth the 1st round pick, don't reach for need.

You used that argument last year, and it was dead on, as they got Cook first and Elflein later. Spielman seems to do this a lot, oftentimes with good results. E.g., take Barr early and still get Bridgewater later. Maybe he got a little too cute this year, but time will tell, and good CBs are not easy to find at the end of round 1. We may come to regret passing up on Ian Thomas for the extra 6th round pick.

Let the Ian Thomas thing go please. There is zero evidence the Vikings got their pocket picked by Carolina at the start of the 4th round. All of this is from people that don't like Rudolph.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 801
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 3:57:35 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Vikings’ G Nick Easton underwent surgery this morning to correct a herniated disc in his neck and his season is likely over, per his agent Joe Linta. But it is not expected to be a career-ending injury.

This is why you draft a Guard in the 1st round, when your biggest need is at Guard. Every Vikings fan could see this scenario coming a mile away...

By all accounts, it was a deep year for guards, so hard to believe they didn't like any, especially given their lack of depth at that spot.

Just saying if you don't think a guy is worth the 1st round pick, don't reach for need.

You used that argument last year, and it was dead on, as they got Cook first and Elflein later. Spielman seems to do this a lot, oftentimes with good results. E.g., take Barr early and still get Bridgewater later. Maybe he got a little too cute this year, but time will tell, and good CBs are not easy to find at the end of round 1. We may come to regret passing up on Ian Thomas for the extra 6th round pick.

Let the Ian Thomas thing go please. There is zero evidence the Vikings got their pocket picked by Carolina at the start of the 4th round. All of this is from people that don't like Rudolph.

I like Rudolph and I think there is a good chance we wanted Ian Thomas with the first pick in the fourth. So far it seems Jaylyn Holmes is working out even if Conklin isn't.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 802
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 4:00:00 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

A few chicken little's so far, but not as bad as I was expecting after hearing about Easton today.
They have managed to lower my expectations without even playing a preseason game this year. Last year it took a terrible preseason to lower my expectations and then they took us on great ride that ended in a thud. I sure hope this season is as much fun as last year.....time will tell.

We do need to get Elf in there and Remmers back in there. Easton is not a huge loss. I don't see the sky as falling.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 803
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 4:27:44 PM   
marty

But if Hughes is a stud, and a great return guy, they did just fine. My opinion at the time, and now, is that they should have taken Hughes AND traded up to catch a guard in the early 2nd round.

I have a feeling Hernandez will be a stud, at least as a run blocker. He is certainly in a GREAT position with having a HC that seems to know how to get a run game going, and then a RB with the potential of Barkley.

We'll see, they could both have career ending injuries in the preseason, and I am only about 40% accurate when you total all my predictions and "feelings".

< Message edited by marty -- 8/9/2018 4:28:53 PM >
Post #: 804
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 4:38:26 PM   
Todd M

With All Pro, All World, All Everything G Nick Easton out we'll be lucky to win a single game.

I say Nay Nay!
Post #: 805
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 5:13:53 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

With All Pro, All World, All Everything G Nick Easton out we'll be lucky to win a single game.

Slightly over the top, but I love it.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 806
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 5:26:33 PM   
Art

quote:

Whatever happened to G being the easiest position to fill of all 22?

Zimmer is right. We're gonna have to go with who we have and everybody is gonna have to play their asses off.
Case didn't make excuses ... he just made plays.
Cousins is the wild card here ... not Easton or Hernandez.

What happened?
Post #: 807
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 5:29:08 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Better we lose him for the season now, than later.

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 808
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 5:36:30 PM   
kevinemmer

Buckle down Vikes scouts!

Get ready for some serious OL tape viewing over the next 4 weeks!

Fix it Zimmer!!
Post #: 809
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 5:37:37 PM  1 votes
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigSky

Man! I'll feel a little more relieved when or if Elflein gets back on the field.
Till then.

No doubt!

Fix it Zimmer!!
Post #: 810
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 6:11:46 PM   
ratoppenheimer

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
It looks like Rosemount native Tom Compton will move in to start at left guard to replace Nick Easton on the #Vikings. Compton is very capable.

With guard Nick Easton perhaps out for the season, a source said the #Vikings reached out to see if Joe Berger is willing to come back but Berger plans to stay retired, a source said. Here was the story I did 2 weeks ago on Berger.

Vikings Corner@VikingsCorner
Only #Vikings not suited up for afternoon practice: Brandon Zylstra, Anthony Barr, Colby Gossett, and Mike Remmers.

Arif Hasan@ArifHasanNFL
As expected, the "first team" OL:

LT: Reiff
LG: Compton
C: Edison
RG: Isidora
RT: Hill

The "second team" OL is therefore:

LT: Storm Norton
LG: Aviante Collins
C: Josh Andrews
RG: Cedrick Lang
RT: Brian O'Neill

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 8/9/2018 6:15:33 PM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 811
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 6:14:28 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

It looks like Rosemount native Tom Compton will move in to start at left guard to replace Nick Easton on the #Vikings. Compton is very capable.

With guard Nick Easton perhaps out for the season, a source said the #Vikings reached out to see if Joe Berger is willing to come back but Berger plans to stay retired, a source said. Here was the story I did 2 weeks ago on Berger.

Only #Vikings not suited up for afternoon practice: Brandon Zylstra, Anthony Barr, Colby Gossett, and Mike Remmers.

Does this mean Elflein is back?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 812
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 6:16:50 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

most probably it means he's not there....

Post #: 813
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 6:24:41 PM   
Todd M

quote:

That's fine. Let's go.
We have that, Elf coming back, and whatever else shakes loose.

We have a lot of pieces in place. We have a lot of elite players. A whole team buying in. Football players are going to have to be football players and the line is going to be manned by 2, or 3 guys we'd like to be better, but I'm not going to let that derail where I'm at believing in the team.

I say Nay Nay!
Post #: 814
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 6:27:24 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

Elflein is a Viking. Should include him in the not suited up if he's not.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 815
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 6:37:20 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Isn't he still on the PUP list?

If so there is no reason to list him as he can't suit up.
Post #: 816
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 7:03:57 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

He has to be activated first. You wont miss that news.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 817
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 7:04:25 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Elflein is a Viking. Should include him in the not suited up if he's not.

you're right - i wonder if the team hands out a list to journalists...or maybe this guy just looked over to the group of players without pads standing together....

Post #: 818
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 7:14:26 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

But if Hughes is a stud, and a great return guy, they did just fine. My opinion at the time, and now, is that they should have taken Hughes AND traded up to catch a guard in the early 2nd round.

I have a feeling Hernandez will be a stud, at least as a run blocker.
He is certainly in a GREAT position with having a HC that seems to know how to get a run game going, and then a RB with the potential of Barkley.

We'll see, they could both have career ending injuries in the preseason, and I am only about 40% accurate when you total all my predictions and "feelings".

I had a very immediate reaction to the drafting of Hughes. I also tried to be open minded about the selection and been vocal (I think) as to the value he could bring and looks like he will bring. A lock down corner in this league OR even a Wayne level player is a huge add to any team.

I was demonstrative the night of the draft and immediately after about the team's inability to recognize the flow of the draft. There were many interior line needy teams at the top of the second round, and already guards had started coming off earlier than projections. They get paid big buck and they missed the obvious. I will always believe this was an error. (I also think Hernandez will be a stud). Rick being afraid to use 2019 capital when we were already going to get additional picks was a major fail. I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong but that was my opinion at the time (and still is)

That said, s*** happens and we have to roll with it. I expect we can. But I think it's b.s. there are those telling us not to worry. There was a huge drop off in the line when Easton went down last yr. Is he Allpro? No, but he made the line better.

Compton was terrible in washington and for the bears. It is not reassuring to have a "veteran", knowing he's mostly likely going to start 16 games. Versatile back-up he is, not looking forward to him starting. Hope a youngster forces his way into the lineup.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 819
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 7:18:22 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Only counter is Rick said that Zim wanted interior lineman with out 30th pick but he (rick) pushed for hughes.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 820
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 7:37:47 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

He is certainly in a GREAT position with having a HC that seems to know how to get a run game going, and then a RB with the potential of Barkley.

I had a very immediate reaction to the drafting of Hughes. I also tried to be open minded about the selection and been vocal (I think) as to the value he could bring and looks like he will bring. A lock down corner in this league OR even a Wayne level player is a huge add to any team.

I was demonstrative the night of the draft and immediately after about the team's inability to recognize the flow of the draft. There were many interior line needy teams at the top of the second round, and already guards had started coming off earlier than projections. They get paid big buck and they missed the obvious. I will always believe this was an error. (I also think Hernandez will be a stud). Rick being afraid to use 2019 capital when we were already going to get additional picks was a major fail. I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong but that was my opinion at the time (and still is)

That said, s*** happens and we have to roll with it. I expect we can. But I think it's b.s. there are those telling us not to worry. There was a huge drop off in the line when Easton went down last yr. Is he Allpro? No, but he made the line better.

Compton was terrible in washington and for the bears. It is not reassuring to have a "veteran", knowing he's mostly likely going to start 16 games. Versatile back-up he is, not looking forward to him starting. Hope a youngster forces his way into the lineup.

Two good posts! Easton is/was a good guard, we will have to do without him this year. The preseason is like this for many teams, guys go down, other guys have to play, it's a bummer, but a fact of life in the NFL. I also wanted the Vikings to trade up and get a linemen in the second round, didn't happen, we got O'Neil and we'll have to see how that plays out. One thing that has been steady the past 10-12 years is that O-linemen coming out of college are taking a year or two before they are really worth anything. Yes, there are a few that come in to the league and do OK their first year, but the pro game takes a little time for these guys to get it.

Lets let the preseason play out. I believe we will be impressed by the steps a couple of our younger guys make. Hell, I remember Easton when he first got here, there was a reason it took a couple years for him to become a starting linemen. I liked Easton, but really, he was just a decent guard, I love his tenacity and hope we find someone with it to replace him, but this is not the end of the world and probably not the last person to go down with a season ending injury if the odds hold true.

What does alarm me is Cousins getting frustrated during red zone drills in practice. You don't need to see your new leader getting hard on himself because he's missed a play. That shit happens, but if he's getting too hard on himself, he may be showing signs that he has a problem in this area and that he knows it, that's not good. Man up No. 8, you're practicing against the best defense in the league and they are not going to give anything cheap!
Post #: 821
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 7:49:22 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

That's fine. Let's go.
We have that, Elf coming back, and whatever else shakes loose.

We have a lot of pieces in place. We have a lot of elite players. A whole team buying in. Football players are going to have to be football players and the line is going to be manned by 2, or 3 guys we'd like to be better, but I'm not going to let that derail where I'm at believing in the team.

Solid post and outlook.
Post #: 822
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 7:54:19 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

The most relevant part of your post was "s*** happens".

If Easton was all that, people are off their rocker if they wanted a RG over a CB, especially since Waynes and McKenzie will soon be FAs.

The instant gratification mentality. This place will explode if our punter gets injured.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 8/9/2018 8:00:41 PM >
Post #: 823
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 7:59:10 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Dana,
Ref your point about Cousins and the RZ... months ago he admitted he got wound up in the RZ. Was your post about something recent? If so, the dude needs to hire yet another 'trainer' and go over brain wave patterns.

Oh wait, he already has a guy for that.

Cousins needs a bit of Fran Tarkenton mentality, just make the play.
Post #: 824
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 8:06:09 PM   
Bill Johanesen

People think we have a 2-3 year window and actually believe we will be able to pay everyone after all the new contracts AND Richardson but only if he kicks ass! Lots of luck with that.

Vikings were smart drafting a CB and T who can still contribute in the window. There wasn't a Randall McDaniel in the draft folks.
Post #: 825
Page:   <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode