Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: Bruce Johnson, ratoppenheimer, bohumm, Ricky J
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 8:10:39 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

again, easton is shot....

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
Vikings’ G Nick Easton underwent surgery this morning to correct a herniated disc in his neck and his season is likely over, per his agent Joe Linta. But it is not expected to be a career-ending injury.

This is why you draft a Guard in the 1st round, when your biggest need is at Guard. Every Vikings fan could see this scenario coming a mile away...

What if they didn't like any of the Guards available? Do you still take one?

By all accounts, it was a deep year for guards, so hard to believe they didn't like any, especially given their lack of depth at that spot.

Just saying if you don't think a guy is worth the 1st round pick, don't reach for need.

Only counter is Rick said that Zim wanted interior lineman with out 30th pick but he (rick) pushed for hughes.

Link please.
Post #: 826
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 8:15:16 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

This is why you draft a Guard in the 1st round, when your biggest need is at Guard. Every Vikings fan could see this scenario coming a mile away...

But if Hughes is a stud, and a great return guy, they did just fine. My opinion at the time, and now, is that they should have taken Hughes AND traded up to catch a guard in the early 2nd round.

I have a feeling Hernandez will be a stud, at least as a run blocker.
He is certainly in a GREAT position with having a HC that seems to know how to get a run game going, and then a RB with the potential of Barkley.

We'll see, they could both have career ending injuries in the preseason, and I am only about 40% accurate when you total all my predictions and "feelings".

I had a very immediate reaction to the drafting of Hughes. I also tried to be open minded about the selection and been vocal (I think) as to the value he could bring and looks like he will bring. A lock down corner in this league OR even a Wayne level player is a huge add to any team.

I was demonstrative the night of the draft and immediately after about the team's inability to recognize the flow of the draft. There were many interior line needy teams at the top of the second round, and already guards had started coming off earlier than projections. They get paid big buck and they missed the obvious. I will always believe this was an error. (I also think Hernandez will be a stud). Rick being afraid to use 2019 capital when we were already going to get additional picks was a major fail. I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong but that was my opinion at the time (and still is)

That said, s*** happens and we have to roll with it. I expect we can. But I think it's b.s. there are those telling us not to worry. There was a huge drop off in the line when Easton went down last yr. Is he Allpro? No, but he made the line better.

Compton was terrible in washington and for the bears. It is not reassuring to have a "veteran", knowing he's mostly likely going to start 16 games. Versatile back-up he is, not looking forward to him starting. Hope a youngster forces his way into the lineup.

The most relevant part of your post was "s*** happens".

If Easton was all that, people are off their rocker if they wanted a RG over a CB, especially since Waynes and McKenzie will soon be FAs.

The instant gratification mentality. This place will explode if our punter gets injured.

I disagree on what the most relevant part was

And no I don't think people were or are off their rocker. There are reasonable arguments made at the time (and now). It's not an either or proposition. CBs like Oliver were available late into the second round. The run on guards ended sooner. Only Zim has the crystal ball, we will never know how the alternative(s) could have played out. But I disagree with the premise. For me instant gratification should be the goal, ie to win the superbowl (why is that a bad thing).

I've said my piece and will now hope for the best. Is anyone changing anyone's mind at this point?

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 827
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 8:17:40 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Vikings’ G Nick Easton underwent surgery this morning to correct a herniated disc in his neck and his season is likely over, per his agent Joe Linta. But it is not expected to be a career-ending injury.

By all accounts, it was a deep year for guards, so hard to believe they didn't like any, especially given their lack of depth at that spot.

Just saying if you don't think a guy is worth the 1st round pick, don't reach for need.

Only counter is Rick said that Zim wanted interior lineman with out 30th pick but he (rick) pushed for hughes.

Link please.

It's been posted. I honestly don't care if you believe me or not. This topic was posted and discussed ad nauseam after the draft. I was challenged and have already provided the links.

Post #: 828
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 8:30:32 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Link please.

It's been posted. I honestly don't care if you believe me or not. This topic was posted and discussed ad nauseam after the draft. I was challenged and have already provided the links.

I very clearly remember the statement that Zim wanted an OL, but he was overruled in favor of Hughes.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 829
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 8:38:38 PM   
Pager

http://www.mnvikingscorner.com/

I know it's been provided but Daniel House provides some great info and is very readable. It will be interesting to see how his observations translate to outcomes (roster, PT, etc).

Love the part of Joseph "men" tossing Edison aside. Great article on Collins. I'm getting optimistic about him, hope he can contribute sooner. Good to see Wright more involved.

Post #: 830
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 9:51:37 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Shout out to ex-Viking Buster Rhymes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rEOnDmPslM

While Billy Sims, AD, Joe Washington, etc were great, Buster was there with Marcus Dupree in the what could have been category.
Post #: 831
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 9:54:09 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Link please.

Just post it.

Although Zimmer may have been playing for his job while the front office was following Wilf's long-term objectives. Lots of variables.
Post #: 832
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 9:58:05 PM   
Bill Johanesen

My opinion on the matter is Spielman took BPA at a key position thinking he could get a G later. Then there was a run on guards and there wasn't much to do unless he wanted to trade a bunch of draft capital on a guard.
Post #: 833
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 10:02:13 PM   
Pager

Do your own homework. I've already done mine and have no compulsion whatsoever to do it again.

If you think Zimmer is not linked to Rick, where if things got bad enough Zimmer was fired, that Rick would survive, well that's like your opinion man.

Post #: 834
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 10:05:20 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Pager, instant gratification in terms of filling a need with a reach vs. Hughes being a far greater asset during a SB run.
Post #: 835
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 10:06:19 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Do your own homework. I've already done mine and have no compulsion whatsoever to do it again.

If you think Zimmer is not linked to Rick, where if things got bad enough Zimmer was fired, that Rick would survive, well that's like your opinion man.

Still no link eh? I googled and read RS saying ~ like coach Zimmer says, you can never have enough cornerbacks. So if your theory is correct, what a slap in the face to Zimmer!

Job piece, not well stated on my part. Job in terms of success not being fired. Zim is doing fine. And like I said, LOTS OF VARIABLES.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 8/9/2018 10:18:29 PM >
Post #: 836
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 10:12:25 PM   
Pager

quote:

Pager, instant gratification in terms of filling a need with a reach vs. Hughes being a far greater asset during a SB run.

What is your evidence that taking an olineman was a "reach"at 30 especially in the context of statements made after draft or based on predraft grades on lineman available at 30? Hughes as an asset is merely conjecture at this point. Along with everything else. And again the picks aren't in a vaccum. There is more than just the pick 30.

Damn it, I've danced this dance too many times. I'm out.

Post #: 837
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 10:20:05 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

What is your evidence that taking an olineman was a "reach"at 30 especially in the context of statements made after draft or based on predraft grades on lineman available at 30? Hughes as an asset is merely conjecture at this point. Along with everything else. And again the picks aren't in a vaccum. There is more than just the pick 30.

I'll easily ask the same questions to you. You have nothing, no link either.

Yes, sit out the dance if you haven't got IT.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 8/9/2018 10:21:56 PM >
Post #: 838
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 10:37:16 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I believe the Vikings rated Hughes as a blue chip prospect. I bet he was rated significantly higher than any of the remaining guards. If I'm not mistaken, only two corners were taken before Hughes and quite a few offensive linemen were taken.

The team is greater than the sum of its parts.
Post #: 839
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 11:16:16 PM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

quote:

Well said. The Vikings needed a guard who could start this year more than a cb who might start next year. By all accounts, that player was there when we picked at 30, but Spielman got cute.
Post #: 840
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/9/2018 11:59:46 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well said. The Vikings needed a guard who could start this year more than a cb who might start next year. By all accounts, that player was there when we picked at 30, but Spielman got cute.

Hernandez, Daniels, possibly even Williams would have been better picks than O'Neill most likely. However, looking at things now Hughes is looking like a potential superstar. Probably the best move would have been to stick with Hughes in the first and traded up for Williams in the second. Right now we are just guessing. As they always say it will take a couple years or more to know.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 841
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 12:00:20 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

Revisionist. Completely.

By no accounts was a starting Guard available at #30. In fact, the only G in the draft generally considered '2018 starting caliber' was taken #6 (Nelson).

How long are people going to keep fantasizing about the 2018 OG draft class. Weird.
Post #: 842
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 12:02:11 AM   
Ricky J

I recently read the Draft thread trying to catch up. I didn't see anything about Rick saying Zimmer wanted OL in the first ... but that doesn't mean it's not there
Post #: 843
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 12:09:13 AM   
Dana Turner

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't know if RS could ever get cute, but he did the smart thing and took, by far, the best person left in the draft when he took Hughes. This will probably prove out in a couple of years, but as for now, the argument for need over talent will just have to run itself out. We have what we have, the coaches have to get an o-line, with some depth thrown in, ready to go for the season. We have seen no evidence, yet, that we can't get a serviceable o-line ready to play.

The ding to Remmers was just that, a ding, Elf is almost ready to return and has time to get ready for the season and Easton can be replaced. Lets see a couple preseason game so we can judge where we're at.
Post #: 844
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 12:21:14 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

Revisionist. Completely.

By no accounts was a starting Guard available at #30. In fact, the only G in the draft generally considered '2018 starting caliber' was taken #6 (Nelson).

How long are people going to keep fantasizing about the 2018 OG draft class. Weird.

I think you will see a number of guards start from this years draft class. Hernandez has already been named a starter. I would be quite surprised if Ragnow doesn't start. Price is a potential starter. Daniels.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 845
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 12:24:57 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't know if RS could ever get cute, but he did the smart thing and took, by far, the best person left in the draft when he took Hughes. This will probably prove out in a couple of years, but as for now, the argument for need over talent will just have to run itself out. We have what we have, the coaches have to get an o-line, with some depth thrown in, ready to go for the season. We have seen no evidence, yet, that we can't get a serviceable o-line ready to play.

The ding to Remmers was just that, a ding, Elf is almost ready to return and has time to get ready for the season and Easton can be replaced. Lets see a couple preseason game so we can judge where we're at.

Hughes isn't just looking good. He is looking VERY good. I'm mostly a draft for talent first with a bit of modification based on Need. IF we can patch together a serviceable line I'm confident we will look back in a couple years and say Hughes was the right pick. But if our passing game is nullified because we can't stop the rush we will regret taking Hughes over the O Line talent.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 846
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 12:51:01 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hughes isn't just looking good. He is looking VERY good. I'm mostly a draft for talent first with a bit of modification based on Need. IF we can patch together a serviceable line I'm confident we will look back in a couple years and say Hughes was the right pick. But if our passing game is nullified because we can't stop the rush we will regret taking Hughes over the O Line talent.

Will Zimmer play Hughes in 2018 though? Xavier Rhodes only got six starts in his rookie year. Trae Waynes got one. Alexander got none.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 847
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 12:51:34 AM   
Dana Turner

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You are correct, if we can't stop the rush and our passing game is crap, perhaps we will regret not taking a guard first. But I will say, if that is the case, how much would a guard have helped the entire line.

Easton was a good run blocker, reports are there are a couple of guys displaying solid results in practice at the run game. Easton was not a great pass blocker, average would be about right for him. We don't really know what Compton will bring at guard, Isadora is showing growth, encouraging words about Collins and Edison, so there are guys for that spot to take a look at. Easton can't be the guy we were hanging our O-line hopes on, he had good moments and would be nice to have, but if we are saying we are desperate now that he's gone, well, I'd have to disagree with that.

P.S., I know you weren't saying this KG, it's more a general point!
Post #: 848
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 12:57:03 AM   
Dana Turner

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Will Zimmer play Hughes in 2018 though? Xavier Rhodes only got six starts in his rookie year. Trae Waynes got one. Alexander got none.

I doubt he gets a ton of playing time, really just depends on health and situation of the current veterans. But I would bet he see more action than Rhodes did, only because he's better then Rhodes was at this stage of his career.

Someone posted an article about how many pass plays Hughes had to play against at Cincinnati, some huge number, and about how he has seen a lot in the passing game for such a young guy. It could translate in to him being ready sooner. It took Rhodes three years and really, he wasn't "really good" until his fourth year.

< Message edited by Dana Turner -- 8/10/2018 1:21:57 AM >
Post #: 849
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 1:41:34 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Barring injury I expect Hughes to play all 16 games. If Zimmer wouldn't play Hughes why would we expect him to play Hernandez?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 850
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode