Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 11:22:13 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

So Berger retires...the guy that started 7 games last year isn't figured in as a starter?

So I guess Keenum shouldn't be considered our starting QB last year either - as he replaced the starter due to injury...

Sure DL. Those are the same.....
You know they are not. Why be so dishonest?
Keenum replaced Bradford and played so well that he became our starter regardless of Bradford's health. My understanding was that during the playoffs Bradford was ready to go, but he stayed on the bench.
When our linemen were all healthy Hill was back to being a backup.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/10/2018 11:23:29 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 876
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 11:24:12 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

So Berger retires...the guy that started 7 games last year isn't figured in as a starter going into this year?

Quit making guys that have starting experience or looked bad against playoff teams into scrubs and it will help your outlook. Jax, Philly, NO, and the other playoff teams made Olines look bad.....so how do you improve. Hill is 26, has starter experience, and needs more reps against high quality DLine is one way.

So you practice against the Jaguars....

Berger is one of the two starters last year that we need to replace. I don't think I have a negative outlook. Our line overall last year was below average last year. While we had all five starters it was arguably average. We have to replace two of the starters. Considering Hill was the top reserve last year he is first in line to become one of the new starters.
Hopefully Isadora, Compton, Collins, Edison, and O'Neill will prove up to the task when called on.

They were considered above average until Easton (missed 4 games and playoffs), Remmers (missed 5 games), and Elflein (missed 2 games) were injured toward the end of the season......very skewed due to that fact and Elflein came back and played injured end of year and the playoffs.

Also you have to acknowledge that Berger was 35 last year.....36 this year. Prob was right at the end.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 8/10/2018 11:31:08 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 877
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 11:26:23 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

So Berger retires...the guy that started 7 games last year isn't figured in as a starter?

So I guess Keenum shouldn't be considered our starting QB last year either - as he replaced the starter due to injury...

Keenum replaced Bradford and played so well that he became our starter regardless of Bradford's health. My understanding was that during the playoffs Bradford was ready to go, but he stayed on the bench.

Not true KG....When Remmers was healthy and returned to the lineup they kept Hill at RT and moved Remmers to RG. Same thing they are doing this year. Maybe you just forgot about that?

Post #: 878
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 11:32:34 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not true KG....When Remmers was healthy and returned to the lineup they kept Hill at RT and moved Remmers to RG. Same thing they are doing this year. Maybe you just forgot about that?

Correct.

Hill started 7 of the final 8 regular season games and then both Playoff games.
Post #: 879
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 11:58:29 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

So Berger retires...the guy that started 7 games last year isn't figured in as a starter going into this year?

Quit making guys that have starting experience or looked bad against playoff teams into scrubs and it will help your outlook. Jax, Philly, NO, and the other playoff teams made Olines look bad.....so how do you improve. Hill is 26, has starter experience, and needs more reps against high quality DLine is one way.

Berger is one of the two starters last year that we need to replace. I don't think I have a negative outlook. Our line overall last year was below average last year. While we had all five starters it was arguably average. We have to replace two of the starters. Considering Hill was the top reserve last year he is first in line to become one of the new starters.
Hopefully Isadora, Compton, Collins, Edison, and O'Neill will prove up to the task when called on.

They were considered above average until Easton (missed 4 games and playoffs), Remmers (missed 5 games), and Elflein (missed 2 games) were injured toward the end of the season......very skewed due to that fact and Elflein came back and played injured end of year and the playoffs.
Also you have to acknowledge that Berger was 35 this year.....36 this year.

Average or above average while the starters were all healthy is debatable. Regardless we were much better while the starters were all healthy. Two of those starters from last year have to be replaced. It's possible that with another year of improvement our replacements will be as good or better than the starters they are replacing.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/10/2018 12:00:10 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 880
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 12:03:16 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Was Hill starting while all five of the original starters were fully healthy. It's possible, but it's not the way I remember it. I don't see why Hill would have continued starting because our line play was far worse with Hill starting than it was with Remmers and Easton starting.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 881
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 12:05:22 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Correct.

Started as a replacement for injured Remmers and Easton is the way I remember things. Am I wrong? Were Remmers and Easton both Fully healthy and Hill was still starting?
Hill was a backup last year who started due to injury. It is IMO ridiculous that this is still being talked about so I'm done talking about it.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/10/2018 12:08:06 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 882
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 12:17:32 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Correct.

Started as a replacement for injured Remmers and Easton is the way I remember things. Am I wrong? Were Remmers and Easton both Fully healthy and Hill was still starting?
Hill was a backup last year who started due to injury. It is IMO ridiculous that this is still being talked about so I'm done talking about it.

You have 3 posts in a row KG...are you debating with yourself? A starter is a starter due to injury or not. They are keeping Remmers at RG which tells you what they think of Hill.

Post #: 883
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 12:39:57 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Correct.

You have 3 posts in a row KG...are you debating with yourself? A starter is a starter due to injury or not. They are keeping Remmers at RG which tells you what they think of Hill.

3 replies in a row. OMG.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 884
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 12:43:20 PM   
kevinemmer

Teddy will get some PT tonight for the Jets.

I don't generally watch other teams for the sake of seeing a former Viking, but Teddy is a guy I will always take an interest in and root for.

GO TEDDY!!!!

Fix it Zimmer!!
Post #: 885
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 12:49:33 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

I don't generally watch other teams for the sake of seeing a former Viking, but Teddy is a guy I will always take an interest in and root for.

GO TEDDY!!!!

Agreed go TEDDY.
If there was any justice in the world Teddy would already have earned the starting QB spot for the JETS. All reports I have seen/heard have him being the best of the three in camp.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 886
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 12:50:53 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

GO TEDDY!!!!

Sources: Jets open to trading Teddy Bridgewater for right price

Teddy Bridgewater’s audition for prospective employers will begin in earnest in the Jets preseason opener Friday night, prompting inquiring minds to wonder whether it’s only a matter of time before the former first-round pick is traded.

The Jets don’t quite have an embarrassment of riches at the game’s most pivotal position, but they do have flexibility thanks to Bridgewater, who has designs on being an NFL starter after a grievous knee injury two summers ago nearly derailed his promising career.

There’s no real trade market for Bridgewater, who will get a heavy workload in the preseason opener against the Falcons on Friday, until he proves to teams that his surgically repaired knee can hold up to contact. Although he has shown no ill effects in practices from an injury that sidelined him for all but nine snaps in the past two seasons, the red no-contact jersey comes off Friday night.

There are too many variables to definitively know Bridgewater’s immediate future, but the Jets are amenable to moving the former Vikings quarterback in the right circumstance, according to sources.

The team will weigh the benefits of keeping a one-year rental versus acquiring an asset that could help them in the future (draft pick) or right now (player).

The Jets agreed to terms one one-year deals with Josh McCown and Teddy Bridgewater this offseason, but the 25-year-old Bridgewater potentially holds real trade value over the 17-year-old veteran.

“I know that’s a question that comes up,” general manager Mike Maccagnan recently said about whether he’d be willing to trade one of his three signal-callers. “Any time you have a number of players that you like at a position, it’s a natural thing (to think), ‘Hey, they may have a — I’m not saying we have a surplus… but some teams carry two quarterbacks. (So) you have the ability to potentially (think), ‘Oh, hypothetically we could do that.’

“But our big thing, quite frankly, is to see how all these players develop,” Maccagnan continued. “We like a lot of things that Teddy’s done this offseason. We obviously know Josh from having him last year and what he brings to the table. But I would say from that standpoint, it’s very early. We kind of want to see how these guys still grow and develop.”

Truth be told, the Jets want to fully evaluate Sam Darnold in the preseason before pulling the trigger on any potential trade involving Bridgewater. If Darnold impresses this month, the Jets would absolutely be open to trading Bridgewater, who’s scheduled to count $6 million against the cap. My understanding is that if Darnold needs more seasoning, then the Jets would hesitate to keep and start Bridgewater in the Monday night season opener against the Lions next month.

The best-case scenario for Gang Green, of course, is for Darnold and Bridgewater, who each will get a heavy workload against the Falcons on Friday, to impress in the preseason. That scenario would make it much more likely that Bridgewater is moved if a team comes calling for his services with an offer than makes sense.

“I live in the moment,” Bridgewater said about the possibility of being traded. “You control what you can control. For me, it is coming to work every day and putting forth my best effort, leading my group up and down the field, throwing completions and getting us in and out of the right plays. That is what I look forward to right now. Everything else will take care of itself. Right now, I have to live in the moment and trust the process.”

The league landscape will also play a role in whether the Jets ultimately keep or deal Bridgewater, who is 17-12 as a starter with playoff experience. The Jets would seemingly be the first call that any playoff-caliber team makes if it suffers an unforeseen injury to its starter this month. Remember, the Vikings ponied up a first- and conditional-fourth round pick two years ago for then-Eagles starter Sam Bradford after Bridgewater went down in practice in late August.

A team looking for a backup quarterback upgrade might also come calling. Could the Jets flip Bridgewater, who is scheduled to earn a $5 million base salary after only collecting $1 million this summer, for some draft capital?

It’s unrealistic to expect the haul that the Eagles got for Bradford unless a team becomes uber-desperate like Minnesota a couple years ago. Bridgewater is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent in 2019, so a third-round pick would likely be the best draft compensation that they could get. Of course, trading Bridgewater for a player in the final year of his deal (see: Jaguars defensive end Dante Fowler Jr., if Blake Bortles went down) would also make sense.

The Jets, who will play all three quarterbacks in the preseason opener, could conceivably keep all their signal-callers given that McCown, Bridgewater and Darnold only account for 21.5 million against this year’s salary cap (12.1 percent of the team’s total cap, according to overthecap.com).

“Definitely from a salary cap standpoint, we have no problem about carrying three quarterbacks,” Maccagnan said. “But we’ll see how it plays out over time.”

Moving Bridgewater might be the best path for the player and the team.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sports-teddy-bridgewater-trade-20180808-story.html?utm_content=bufferef26f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=mmehta+twitter
Post #: 887
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 1:13:51 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

PA was talking about how the best thing about practicing with Jax is seeing their players at your need positions. He thinks we can scout and trade for Oline help with them (after the practice). Their 7-8 best lineman may become our 6-7 best.

I don't pretend to be an expert on the Jaguars offensive line, but it seems that they are pretty deep and do have reserves with game experience. Check out the end of the article here:

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/08/jaguars-2018-positional-preview-offensive-line/

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 888
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 1:21:14 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

PA was talking about how the best thing about practicing with Jax is seeing their players at your need positions. He thinks we can scout and trade for Oline help with them (after the practice). Their 7-8 best lineman may become our 6-7 best.

I don't pretend to be an expert on the Jaguars offensive line, but it seems that they are pretty deep and do have reserves with game experience. Check out the end of the article here:

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/08/jaguars-2018-positional-preview-offensive-line/

If we were to trade for a OL the Jaguars seem like a good team to trade with.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 889
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 2:47:09 PM   
Ian Joseph

Damn.. Darrius Guice is out for the year with an ACL tear.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 890
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 3:23:45 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

Really tough on them....no pun intended but they said he had a ton of juice.

Post #: 891
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 3:34:33 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

While Hill struggled late season/playoff (admittingly said he ran out of gas) the regime seams to have confidence in him taking the next step.

MLB---Choose well and Championships will follow
Post #: 892
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 5:23:10 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I agree with this article.

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/ContentGallery/Vikings-vs-Broncos-preseason-10-players-to-watch-120558860/

I do think it is wonderful that football can bring people together from different persuasions. We need more of that and less of what divides us.
Post #: 893
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 5:28:23 PM   
The Happy Norseman

A timely take from Judd Zulgad...

A FIRST GUESS

Coming off a 13-3 season and with a roster that looked ready to make a run at the Super Bowl, Vikings general manager Rick Spielman was expected to select a guard early in the April draft.

Veteran Joe Berger, who moved from center to guard for the 2017 season, announced his retirement in March and there were plenty of good young prospects who could have been plugged in. So when the 30th pick in the first round arrived, it was safe to assume the Vikings would address a clear need.

Only that didn’t happen.

Instead, the Vikings selected cornerback Mike Hughes of Central Florida. Considering how much coach Mike Zimmer values cornerbacks and how hard it is to find good ones, this didn’t come as a complete surprise.

The thought was the Vikings would trade up in the second round to take a guard. But when the run on the position started, the Vikings were nowhere to be found.

Will Hernandez of UTEP went with the second pick of the second round to the New York Giants; Braden Smith of Auburn was taken with the fifth pick by Indianapolis; and Connor Williams of Texas went with the 18th pick to Dallas. In all five offensive linemen, including Iowa center James Daniels, were selected in the second round before the Vikings used the 30th pick (62nd overall) on Pittsburgh offensive tackle Brian O’Neill.

The failure to take a guard, led to the Vikings’ decision to move Remmers from right tackle to right guard and to promote Hill from a backup role to right tackle. This seemed to be tempting fate, not to mention getting too cute when an obvious solution had been presented.

Spielman often has talked about taking the best player available, but this seemed to be a special case given how few actual needs the roster seemed to have for 2018. The unexpected loss of Easton makes the Vikings’ decision look that much worse and it doesn’t help that Elflein and Remmers are injured.

If Minnesota had drafted a guard in the first round or early in the second, the main concern right now would be focused on replacing Easton. Instead, the Vikings have to be worried about not only the left guard spot but also in how Remmers will do in his move to guard and how Hill is going to perform as the starting right tackle.

For a team that should have learned a lesson about how important offensive line depth can be during a 2016 season in which things fell apart, it’s remarkable that the Vikings might have put themselves back in the same situation.

What makes it even more of a head-scratcher is that Cousins isn’t nearly as mobile as last year’s starter, Case Keenum. Cousins needs the pocket to hold up and, yet, that might not be the case.

If the line does struggle, Spielman and Zimmer will have to answer plenty of questions about the direction they elected to go on draft night.
Post #: 894
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 5:34:25 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

Really tough on them....no pun intended but they said he had a ton of juice.

Tough on Skins fans. Their running game has been in shambles for years now. It's damn near a miracle that Cousins was able to put up the stats he did.
Post #: 895
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 5:37:34 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

A FIRST GUESS

Coming off a 13-3 season and with a roster that looked ready to make a run at the Super Bowl, Vikings general manager Rick Spielman was expected to select a guard early in the April draft.

Veteran Joe Berger, who moved from center to guard for the 2017 season, announced his retirement in March and there were plenty of good young prospects who could have been plugged in. So when the 30th pick in the first round arrived, it was safe to assume the Vikings would address a clear need.

Only that didn’t happen.

Instead, the Vikings selected cornerback Mike Hughes of Central Florida. Considering how much coach Mike Zimmer values cornerbacks and how hard it is to find good ones, this didn’t come as a complete surprise.

The thought was the Vikings would trade up in the second round to take a guard. But when the run on the position started, the Vikings were nowhere to be found.

Will Hernandez of UTEP went with the second pick of the second round to the New York Giants; Braden Smith of Auburn was taken with the fifth pick by Indianapolis; and Connor Williams of Texas went with the 18th pick to Dallas. In all five offensive linemen, including Iowa center James Daniels, were selected in the second round before the Vikings used the 30th pick (62nd overall) on Pittsburgh offensive tackle Brian O’Neill.

The failure to take a guard, led to the Vikings’ decision to move Remmers from right tackle to right guard and to promote Hill from a backup role to right tackle. This seemed to be tempting fate, not to mention getting too cute when an obvious solution had been presented.

Spielman often has talked about taking the best player available, but this seemed to be a special case given how few actual needs the roster seemed to have for 2018. The unexpected loss of Easton makes the Vikings’ decision look that much worse and it doesn’t help that Elflein and Remmers are injured.

If Minnesota had drafted a guard in the first round or early in the second, the main concern right now would be focused on replacing Easton. Instead, the Vikings have to be worried about not only the left guard spot but also in how Remmers will do in his move to guard and how Hill is going to perform as the starting right tackle.

For a team that should have learned a lesson about how important offensive line depth can be during a 2016 season in which things fell apart, it’s remarkable that the Vikings might have put themselves back in the same situation.

What makes it even more of a head-scratcher is that Cousins isn’t nearly as mobile as last year’s starter, Case Keenum. Cousins needs the pocket to hold up and, yet, that might not be the case.

If the line does struggle, Spielman and Zimmer will have to answer plenty of questions about the direction they elected to go on draft night.

Almost as if Judd gets his material by reading this site......
Post #: 896
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 5:38:34 PM   
Todd M

I might be more worried if we didn't have a defense that can shut opposing offenses down, and take over games.

Our pass rush is going to put points on the board. Teams will struggle to run. If our offense had to make up for deficiencies on our defense it would be a totally different animal.

We'll probably win 8 games easy, the other 4, 5, or 6 will have to be won with defense and the multitude of play makers we do have on offense.

Existential midlife crisis mode engaged.
Post #: 897
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 5:39:43 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

quote:

A FIRST GUESS

Only that didn’t happen.

Yup. He even took the idea that if we did draft a Guard, he'd automatically be an upgrade...
Post #: 898
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 5:42:34 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I might be more worried if we didn't have a defense that can shut opposing offenses down, and take over games.

Our pass rush is going to put points on the board. Teams will struggle to run. If our offense had to make up for deficiencies on our defense it would be a totally different animal.

We'll probably win 8 games easy, the other 4, 5, or 6 will have to be won with defense and the multitude of play makers we do have on offense.

Your positivity exceeds even my own.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 899
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 5:58:36 PM   
DeLain

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

quote:

A FIRST GUESS

Only that didn’t happen.

Yup. He even took the idea that if we did draft a Guard, he'd automatically be an upgrade...

Especially when everyone knows that the Offensive Lineman coming out of college these days are so ill-prepared for the NFL.
Post #: 900
Page:   <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode