Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: Bruce Johnson, ratoppenheimer, bohumm, Ricky J, hagar
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 7:30:01 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I'm glad that we can comment on actual games, soon. We'll be getting those Pro football Focus reports, too, but I like that we can see the players with our own eyes.

The team is greater than the sum of its parts.
Post #: 901
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 10:09:09 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I might be more worried if we didn't have a defense that can shut opposing offenses down, and take over games.

Our pass rush is going to put points on the board. Teams will struggle to run. If our offense had to make up for deficiencies on our defense it would be a totally different animal.

We'll probably win 8 games easy, the other 4, 5, or 6 will have to be won with defense and the multitude of play makers we do have on offense.

I sure like your attitude but that defense didn’t shut down didily squat in last year’s playoffs.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 902
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 10:27:29 PM   
Ricky J

Good thing it's not last year then ...
Post #: 903
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/10/2018 11:44:02 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I might be more worried if we didn't have a defense that can shut opposing offenses down, and take over games.

Our pass rush is going to put points on the board. Teams will struggle to run. If our offense had to make up for deficiencies on our defense it would be a totally different animal.

We'll probably win 8 games easy, the other 4, 5, or 6 will have to be won with defense and the multitude of play makers we do have on offense.

I sure like your attitude but that defense didn’t shut down didily squat in last year’s playoffs.

Shit happened then. It's not going to happen again. No way. FLUKE.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 904
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2018 7:11:34 AM   
Bill Jandro

At this juncture I think we should kick the tires on Jahri Evans.

We need some extra depth at the very least.

Would seem prudent to do it now rather than waiting. If another G were to go down or if either Elf or Remy injuries don't heal up Evans would get some reps in TC and have a chance to get back in shape.

I remember it taking a few games for Jake Long to knock the rust off.

MLB---Choose well and Championships will follow
Post #: 905
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2018 7:16:11 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Do any of the free agent options know how to play center, too? It seems to me that we could use a G/C.

The team is greater than the sum of its parts.
Post #: 906
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2018 7:22:08 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Do any of the free agent options know how to play center, too? It seems to me that we could use a G/C.

Unsure regarding the FA's

With Easton out our C depth chart

Elf
Edison
Andrews

Post #: 907
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2018 8:27:27 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Would seem prudent to do it now rather than waiting. If another G were to go down or if either Elf or Remy injuries don't heal up Evans would get some reps in TC and have a chance to get back in shape.

They may be reluctant to pursue Jahri Evans given their experience in 2016. The older guys they brought in (Smith and Long) both got injured very quickly. Was that a fluke? Probably to some extent, but both had been coming off injuries, and they weren't getting any younger. Evans has not been durable in recent times, having missed a couple games last year and all of 2015.

The other thing is, the Vikes ended up in cap hell by mid-2016. They don't have a huge cushion, with a long season ahead. Might be best to keep some dry powder until they are certain they need help.
Post #: 908
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2018 8:33:31 AM   
thebigo

quote:

And as soon as he started looking decent, he blew his achilles out.
Post #: 909
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2018 8:42:45 AM   
ratoppenheimer

i think that we should consider trading a 3rd/4th round pick to a team that's in rebuild mode...get a good/solid guard - youngish, like a 26-28 year old - making $3-4m a year....

a long-term fix...treat it like it's next year's draft....

if teddy continues to play well we might be getting a 3rd round compensatory pick for him - it's my understanding we've already got one coming via bradford/keenum....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 8/11/2018 9:37:57 AM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 910
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2018 9:34:19 AM   
kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

i think that we should consider trading a 3rd/4th round pick to a team that's in rebuild mode...get a good/solid guard - youngish, like a 26-28 year old getting, making $3-4m a year....

if teddy continues to play well we might be getting a 3rd round compensatory pick for him - it's my understanding we've already got one coming via bradford/keenum....

Agreed

Honestly Easton is probably the 21st best player of our starting 22 players on offense/defense. Problem is the other guard spot is probably 22nd.

Position grouping wise it’s a big problem. Not that everybody on the planet didn’t know we were wafer thin on the interior OLine going into the offseason.

Hell we needed an upgrade at at least two OLine positions (Depending where we moved Remmers?) before Easton got hurt.

Unless Collins has truly progressed according to reports, and Isidora is NOT progressing according to reports, we are still short a player or two up front.
Post #: 911
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2018 9:44:52 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

i think that we should consider trading a 3rd/4th round pick to a team that's in rebuild mode...get a good/solid guard - youngish, like a 26-28 year old getting, making $3-4m a year....

Agreed

Honestly Easton is probably the 21st best player of our starting 22 players on offense/defense. Problem is the other guard spot is probably 22nd.

Position grouping wise it’s a big problem. Not that everybody on the planet didn’t know we were wafer thin on the interior OLine going into the offseason.

Hell we needed an upgrade at at least two OLine positions (Depending where we moved Remmers?) before Easton got hurt.

Unless Collins has truly progressed according to reports, and Isidora is NOT progressing according to reports, we are still short a player or two up front.

right...everyone knows we're going to pick o-line early next draft because we've grossly under-drafted this position group forever - let's do it now with a 3rd round compensatory pick...gm's love draft picks - drafting is their favorite part of their job....

Post #: 912
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2018 10:11:12 AM  1 votes
DeLain

quote:

i think that we should consider trading a 3rd/4th round pick to a team that's in rebuild mode...get a good/solid guard - youngish, like a 26-28 year old - making $3-4m a year....

So you want to give away a 3rd round pick for a starting quality guard but wanted to give away a first round pick this year in the draft for a guard that would have trouble starting?
Post #: 913
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2018 10:21:18 AM  1 votes
DeLain

When was the last time someone traded a #1 pick in the draft for an experienced guard? How many guards out there are worth a franchise tag?

If you can get a good guard with a 3rd or 4th round pick then I think it is kind of stupid for people to think we should have used a #1 pick on a guard.
Post #: 914
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2018 10:25:06 AM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: DeLain

When was the last time someone traded a #1 pick in the draft for an experienced guard? How many guards out there are worth a franchise tag?

If you can get a good guard with a 3rd or 4th round pick then I think it is kind of stupid for people to think we should have used a #1 pick on a guard.

This!
Plus, I suspect our coaching staff really likes what they already have or they would have done more by now.
Post #: 915
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2018 10:26:03 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Agreed

Followed by the other Oline starters.

This position group has zero studs.

Spielman has done a good job with the rest of the team but I don't think you could give him a grade higher than an F for this unit since he became GM.

Post #: 916
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2018 10:30:01 AM   
Bill Jandro

I wonder who our Oline scouts are?

If I were Spielman I'd have shown these clowns the door a while back.

Post #: 917
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2018 10:36:16 AM   
stfrank

quote:

Are you going to watch this season just hoping the OL fails so you can puff out your chest and say "see I told you so", or are you going to watch them and cheer on the guys we have? Just curious......
Post #: 918
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2018 10:59:17 AM   
kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

quote:

Are you going to watch this season just hoping the OL fails so you can puff out your chest and say "see I told you so", or are you going to watch them and cheer on the guys we have? Just curious......

Thor knows we’ve had guys like that around here that take more joy in their opinions being correct then the team winning, I don’t recall Bill being like that.

BTW the same scouts that have led us to drafting guys like Diggs, Barr, Hunter, Kendricks, Rhodes, H Smith, Griffen, Dalvin, etc... Are the same “OLine scouts” you speak of.
Post #: 919
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2018 11:09:50 AM   
stfrank

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thor knows we’ve had guys like that around here that take more joy in their opinions being correct then the team winning, I don’t recall Bill being like that.

BTW the same scouts that have led us to drafting guys like Diggs, Barr, Hunter, Kendricks, Rhodes, H Smith, Griffen, Dalvin, etc... Are the same “OLine scouts” you speak of.

Yeah, I know. It's just getting to this point.......
Post #: 920
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2018 11:14:12 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

Agreed

who's the 22nd?...gedeon?...i'm still hoping wilson works his way onto the weak side....

Post #: 921
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2018 11:16:29 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I know. It's just getting to this point.......

that's because people/we can't stop being pissed off about it...it was just so obvious....

Post #: 922
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2018 11:24:01 AM   
kurt bilben

Happy to say it’s freakin game day! Ok kind of-

Like to see-

Cousins sharp on first possession- TD to Treadwell and out of game
Pass Protection, a couple running lanes
As much as I’d like to see Dalvin play, I’d sit him till earliest week 3 of PS.

Like to see starting Defense with a couple 3&outs...a sack or two.
See a lot of Hughes & Hill making some plays. Hughes on ST
Wilson, and the other backup LBers.
Kicking battle...
NO INJURIES (Should’ve put this first!)
SKOL!!!!!!
Post #: 923
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2018 11:36:14 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

IDK. I would guess there are scouts with expertise per position group.

Like I said the rest of the team is built really well. Kudo's to those scouts.

Elf looks good so maybe he did upgrade after being disgusted with the Beaver's pick.

Easton developed nicely and it appears, Hill, Collins, and Edison are improved.

And yes I will cheer. I hope I'm wrong most of the time. esp on this subject.

Post #: 924
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2018 12:28:24 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Thank god you got in the daily "our OL is a mess, we need OL help, the regime screwed up addressing the OL" post before 7:15 a.m.
Post #: 925
Page:   <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode