Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Game Day Talk >> RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/11/2018 11:49:14 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Conklin cut.

The pass was slightly behind Conklin, but it's one that NFL TEs are expected to make all the time. I think you could be right Todd. However, Bell sucked also from what I saw which was the first half.

Conklin is getting open. I can't see us keeping Bell over him is we are serious about stretching the field with our TEs.

conklin is not a fast te - he's not going to stretch the field...bell is there because of his blocking skills...with our o-line, i'm thinking we keep bell on the final 53....

nfl combine:

conklin 4.80/40
bell 4.77/40

Guys like Witten and Gates aren't burners. They just have a knack of getting open. Not saying Conklin will sniff 10% of what these guys accomplished but give the guy a chance with a more accurate QB. Simien didn't lead guys very well about 3 or 4 times tonight.

i dig what you're saying, but conklin would get very little playing time - he'd never be activated...we need blockers...spielman will draft rudolph's replacement next draft...conklin to the practice squad....

O'Neill could easily do what Bell does and actually do it effectively.
Post #: 201
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/11/2018 11:49:57 PM   
marty

Right side of OL really run blocked well.

Cousins looked sharp, great start. This could REALLY be a fun season, the potential is there.

But we should also temper enthusiasm a little bit, maybe Denver's defense minus Talib, no Chubb, [did even Miller even play?], isn't all that great. But GREAT for the Vikes to do this on the road !
Post #: 202
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/11/2018 11:53:51 PM   
marty

Sloter looks like a bean pole version of Favre.

I like Sloter's enthusiasm, decision making and accuracy. My concern with him is the delivery speed seems slow at times, or too long. But maybe that is because Cousin's seems to have a quick release.

Cousins looked pretty accurate, so far, so good.
Post #: 203
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/11/2018 11:57:02 PM   
marty

Sloter is definitely pushing Siemian for the number 2 spot, looking forward to seeing more reps from both. Siemian might be able to hold him off, and may get the nod based on more experience
Post #: 204
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/12/2018 12:04:11 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Conklin cut.

The pass was slightly behind Conklin, but it's one that NFL TEs are expected to make all the time. I think you could be right Todd. However, Bell sucked also from what I saw which was the first half.

Conklin is getting open. I can't see us keeping Bell over him is we are serious about stretching the field with our TEs.

conklin is not a fast te - he's not going to stretch the field...bell is there because of his blocking skills...with our o-line, i'm thinking we keep bell on the final 53....

nfl combine:

conklin 4.80/40
bell 4.77/40

Guys like Witten and Gates aren't burners. They just have a knack of getting open. Not saying Conklin will sniff 10% of what these guys accomplished but give the guy a chance with a more accurate QB. Simien didn't lead guys very well about 3 or 4 times tonight.

i dig what you're saying, but conklin would get very little playing time - he'd never be activated...we need blockers...spielman will draft rudolph's replacement next draft...conklin to the practice squad....

O'Neill could easily do what Bell does and actually do it effectively.

i think that zimmer was happy with bell last season...i don't think he'll have o'neill out there lining up at te....

we shall see....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 205
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/12/2018 12:07:33 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Sloter is definitely pushing Siemian for the number 2 spot, looking forward to seeing more reps from both. Siemian might be able to hold him off, and may get the nod based on more experience

from what i watched tonight, i'd much rather have sloter out there leading our team...and, i'd only keep two qb's on the final 53....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 206
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/12/2018 12:15:04 AM   
marty

I agree with Sloter looking better, I am excited about Sloter possibly being the backup, but they might not have been on equal footing.

Maybe Denver's 3rd string defense is not as good as it 2nd, and maybe some Viking's 3rd stringers on offense could be 2nd stringers ? But I agree that Sloter looks more impressive so far, but it is just one game.
Post #: 207
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/12/2018 12:24:26 AM   
Pager

I just got back from the game. I'll post a few thoughts and then read the thread to see all your impressions.

Diggs is legit (which we already knew - at least most of us). Roby is very highly thought of out here. Had good coverage and still couldn't stop Diggs. Simply great throw/catch on the TD pass.

1st team right side looked like they punched some nice holes (didn't see Miller out there which obv a help). Murray a snuggle soft security blanket.

1st team oline really struggled on short down and distance. Seemed like they were blown off the ball in those situations.

Really looked for play calling and getting a feel for flip. The screen pass was a thing of beauty. 1 defender in the way of a TD - with two lineman to block him? Flip seem to turtle up some when Sloter first came in. Jury still out (as it should be this early in preseason). But most strings of the offense looked well prepared and coached. Not many mental mistakes.

Speaking of Sloter. He looked so much better than Siemian. I know caliber of players. But it really looked like he was progressing through his reads and his mechanics seem tighter. Both evident on a short completion where he looked left and then hit someone in the flat on the right. Squared his shoulders and got his feet underneath him, and made a quick dart of a pass. No way we can get him to P squad. He's either #2, we carry 3 QBs, or he's gone.

Time to reread the thread and Vikes corner, etc.

Great to wash some of the NFC champ game out of my mouth.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 208
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/12/2018 12:27:51 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: bgdavis

I got home late and only caught the last part of the 4th quarter including Sloter's bootleg TD run and final goal line stand on D. How did the 1st string OLine look? That's one of my biggest concerns going into the regular season.

You wouldn't lose sleep over their performance. At all.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 209
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/12/2018 12:28:03 AM   
Pager

I forgot Coley. First time seeing him live. Very nice adjustment on a catch on the left side. Seems fluid out there. Wright is a vet and looked like it (yeah - weak competition). I think if we only carry 6 coley and wright are in, and the rest are fighting for 1 spot.

Post #: 210
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/12/2018 12:30:28 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Right side of OL really run blocked well.

Cousins looked sharp, great start. This could REALLY be a fun season, the potential is there.

But we should also temper enthusiasm a little bit, maybe Denver's defense minus Talib, no Chubb, [did even Miller even play?], isn't all that great. But GREAT for the Vikes to do this on the road !

Chubb played.. Murray's first long run was right at him. Denver's defense got pasted tonight. Miller and Wolfe were the only ones that didn't play (and Wolfe may have).

We did our job.

Believe.
Post #: 211
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/12/2018 12:37:35 AM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Knute

I feel like Case Keenum is gonna struggle and the fans are gonna turn on him pretty quick.

Yes. Struggled on his sidelined throws. I've already been trying to temper Keenum expectations with my broncos fan/friends. Saw my fist bronocs Keenum jersey. Will post it if I'm motivated ltr.

Also forgot about 3rd back battle. First action of Brown I've seen. He looked good. So did Thomas. Better than Boone.

Post #: 212
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/12/2018 12:42:52 AM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

Pager will have some hometown commentary on Keenum.

- well played

Overall the fans are pretty optimistic about him. He'll be better than what they've had. If I had to guess, right around 88-92 QB rating.

Post #: 213
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/12/2018 12:43:54 AM   
Ian Joseph

I liked how Boone continued to fight through first contact. He got a lot of yards that way.

All of our backs looked good. I hope Brown's injury isn't serious.

Believe.
Post #: 214
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/12/2018 12:45:21 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

- well played

Overall the fans are pretty optimistic about him. He'll be better than what they've had. If I had to guess, right around 88-92 QB rating.

Shit lol, you live out there. As crazy as they are for the Orange, he'll be all over the television and airwaves this season. So, if you don't know, don't nobody know lol.

And theyre going to go effen nutso after this first game. I would estimate that local talk radio will feature 40% of callers in straight panic mode.

Believe.
Post #: 215
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/12/2018 12:51:57 AM   
Pager

Your posts reminded me of additional stuff:

It's Carlson's job to lose. Yes altitude but he seemed composed out there.

2nd string DE seemed to lose contain. Sure Zim will be all over that.

Hughes looked very quick. I will avoid hyperbole since it was against scrubs - but none-the-less very encouraging. Special teams and hughes - Sherels will be on the team. Either they cut Newman or carry 7 CBs? How did Hill look??? Didn't notice him out there (tocho distracted me - had to look up #39). Speaking of which I should have printed roster numbers and brought them to the game.

Thought Gedeon filled the hole well on at least one play. Didn't really notice LB play much beyond that.

Post #: 216
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/12/2018 12:56:29 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

- well played

Shit lol, you live out there. As crazy as they are for the Orange, he'll be all over the television and airwaves this season. So, if you don't know, don't nobody know lol.

And theyre going to go effen nutso after this first game. I would estimate that local talk radio will feature 40% of callers in straight panic mode.

The Vikings are going to put a lot of teams in panic mode.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 217
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/12/2018 1:01:22 AM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

- well played

In addition to the local perspective, I thought u were referring to my comments mid season last year and the Cousins vs Keenum posts Am I giving you too much credit?

Broncos fans are going to give him a ton of rope. They won a superbowl with manning playing like, well, Ryan Leaf? They are so stoked about Chub and the defense, and desert starved for qb play (they dismiss Siemian's pretty good 2016 yr) they'll drink sand. And Keenum is better than sand. I imagine the seat will get pretty hot for Elway about mid season. Other than a huge FA gamble on Manning, he's been putrid on QBs, Lynch looked like the worst QB out there.

Post #: 218
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/12/2018 1:01:50 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

Your posts reminded me of additional stuff:

It's Carlson's job to lose. Yes altitude but he seemed composed out there.

2nd string DE seemed to lose contain. Sure Zim will be all over that.

Hughes looked very quick. I will avoid hyperbole since it was against scrubs - but none-the-less very encouraging. Special teams and hughes - Sherels will be on the team. Either they cut Newman or carry 7 CBs? How did Hill look??? Didn't notice him out there (tocho distracted me - had to look up #39). Speaking of which I should have printed roster numbers and brought them to the game.

Thought Gedeon filled the hole well on at least one play. Didn't really notice LB play much beyond that.

I liked what I saw from Hughes. And Sherels. That damn dude just wont fold.

Carlson was icewater. He split uprights all night; I wont complain about his last kick. It went through - it just wasn't on a dime like the other kicks.

Brothers just blew another coverage; couldn't even save a window seat on the bus.

Believe.
Post #: 219
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/12/2018 1:02:39 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

- well played

In addition to the local perspective, I thought u were referring to my comments mid season last year and the Cousins vs Keenum posts Am I giving you too much credit?

Broncos fans are going to give him a ton of rope. They won a superbowl with manning playing like, well, Ryan Leaf? They are so stoked about Chub and the defense, and desert starved for qb play (they dismiss Siemian's pretty good 2016 yr) they'll drink sand. And Keenum is better than sand. I imagine the seat will get pretty hot for Elway about mid season. Other than a huge FA gamble on Manning, he's been putrid on QBs, Lynch looked like the worst QB out there.

Yes, youre giving me way too much credit. I don't remember shit like that. I half don't care what posters say, unless it raises my eyebrows or is utterly insane. It probably should be the other way around.

< Message edited by Ian Joseph -- 8/12/2018 1:04:23 AM >

Believe.
Post #: 220
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/12/2018 1:03:45 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

- well played

Maybe Mr Irrelevant, Chad Kelly, can actually be something. I dug him at Ole Miss.

Believe.
Post #: 221
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/12/2018 1:05:28 AM   
Pager

Unless Mahomes is terrible and drags KC down, Chargers sucomb to inj and fluke losses, and Gruden can't turn it back around. Then Broncos could be fighting for a division title while hanging around .500.

Who knows how the AFC West will turnout?

Post #: 222
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/12/2018 1:07:23 AM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

- well played

Yes, youre giving me way too much credit. I don't remember shit like that. I half don't care what posters say, unless it raises my eyebrows or is utterly insane. It probably should be the other way around.

That's a pretty good idea, and something I'm learning. Very different on the Vikes side vs Twins.

Post #: 223
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/12/2018 1:14:42 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

Unless Mahomes is terrible and drags KC down, Chargers sucomb to inj and fluke losses, and Gruden can't turn it back around. Then Broncos could be fighting for a division title while hanging around .500.

Who knows how the AFC West will turnout?

The Chargers are being forced on us out here. And there is nothing to them. They looked like crap tonight.

The Jason Verrett injury is going to hurt them, as is the Henry injury. Rivers has to stay upright. He absolutely has to.

Believe.
Post #: 224
RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT - 8/12/2018 3:34:59 AM   
Todd M

I did a double take when they announced our starting offense and Elflein was listed at C.

I was like - we were told we wouldn't miss this news!

I say Nay Nay!
Post #: 225
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Game Day Talk >> RE: Preseason WEEK 1: @ Broncos 8-11-18 8:05PM CT Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode