Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: Karl Juhnke
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day Page: <<   < prev  90 91 92 [93] 94   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/12/2019 9:47:52 PM   
David Levine

All the TNT guys are only calling Jokic "The Joker"

Like that won’t be annoying by…say…5 minutes ago?
Post #: 2301
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/13/2019 8:04:00 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Sounds like "Players Only", which was annoying by 5 minutes into the first time they did it.........
Post #: 2302
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/13/2019 10:17:34 AM  1 votes
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

Sounds like "Players Only", which was annoying by 5 minutes into the first time they did it.........

I turned it off midway through the 1st quarter. It was unlistenable. Especially Isaiah Thomas.
Post #: 2303
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/13/2019 10:48:59 AM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

I turned it off midway through the 1st quarter. It was unlistenable. Especially Isaiah Thomas.

I suffered through most of it with the volume on just to see how terrible it would be.
They delivered. Not only do they talk way too much, they seem to have very little knowledge of the teams they are covering, except for the stars.

Thomas just couldn't speak highly of Towns without also mentioning how much money he's making.

Did you know Isaiah Thomas once scored 16 points in 90 seconds. If you didn't, just listen to him broadcast a game. He will tell you repeatedly.
Post #: 2304
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/13/2019 10:58:08 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

I suffered through most of it with the volume on just to see how terrible it would be.
They delivered. Not only do they talk way too much, they seem to have very little knowledge of the teams they are covering, except for the stars.

Thomas just couldn't speak highly of Towns without also mentioning how much money he's making.

Did you know Isaiah Thomas once scored 16 points in 90 seconds. If you didn't, just listen to him broadcast a game. He will tell you repeatedly.

Listening to most ex-players its really amazing how little successful players understand about what made them successful.
Post #: 2305
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/13/2019 6:03:11 PM   
Mr. Ed

Ya think??

http://www.startribune.com/the-timberwolves-once-bright-future-is-vanishing/507102482/

The Timberwolves' once-bright future is vanishing
If you want a sobering look at what has happened to the Timberwolves in the last three years — and what might happen in the next three — ESPN has you covered.

In its “future power rankings” of NBA teams, which evaluates franchises in a number of categories to determine their prospects for success over the next three years, ESPN has the Wolves at No. 22 out of the 30 NBA teams. (Insider required).

The Wolves grade out around the middle of the pack in terms of player talent (tied for 16th) and draft (tied for 14th), but they’re 25th or lower in management, money to spend and their market.

The first of those negative rankings shows a lack of faith, at least in relative terms among those doing the rankings for ESPN (Kevin Pelton and Bobby Marks) of Wolves decision-makers to make good decisions. The second is a reflection of financial inflexibility brought on by large (and in some cases bad) contracts. And the third — and the Wolves are dead last in market — is indicative of how tough it is to get free agents to sign here.

Pelton writes of the ranking: “In part, that reflects No. 1 pick Andrew Wiggins’ inability to develop beyond a volume scorer. However, it’s also the product of one of the NBA’s youngest rosters growing older (weighted by minutes played, Minnesota’s roster is now exactly league average age) without any playoff results to show for it. The Timberwolves still have capable talent, led by 23-year-old All-Star Karl-Anthony Towns. Yet adding Towns’ max extension to one for Wiggins will swallow up much of Minnesota’s financial flexibility, and we can’t trust Timberwolves management to navigate the cap while maintaining and adding to the roster.”

That’s tough but fair. But it gets even worse when you consider how far the Wolves have fallen. Less than three years ago, when Tom Thibodeau was hired as POBO/head coach, the Wolves were No. 5 in these same rankings. It makes sense: Wiggins was still considered an emerging talent, Towns had just won Rookie of the Year and both were playing on modest rookie contracts. There was pie in the sky talk that the Wolves could be the next Golden State.

Three years later, the Wolves have one playoff appearance (and one playoff game victory) to show for all that potential.

If you want to blame Jimmy Butler for this drop — both the initial acquisition and export a year later — that’s your business. But there’s this: The Wolves were as high as No. 10, still, in these rankings in March 2018 when Butler was here and leading the way to a playoff berth.

And if you think the Bulls are better off for having dealt Butler for three young players, well they’re tied for 20th in the current rankings — a shade better than Minnesota.

All of this is a long way of reinforcing how important this summer will be for the Wolves if they are going to get back on an upward trajectory. Hitting a home run in the draft and offloading unwanted contracts for some sort of value will be two keys.

“Terrible thing to live in fear. Brooks Hatlen knew it. Knew it all too well. All I want is to be back where things make sense. Where I won't have to be afraid all the time.”
Post #: 2306
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/13/2019 6:03:42 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

And in the midst of Towns putting on a dominating performance (again), they had to temper it with "Where was this Karl Anthony Towns in November and December?"

Well for one thing we were in the midst of Jimmy Ball and Towns would go minutes at a time without getting a touch. For another thing, The guy is still an evolving player, blossoming before our very eyes. He's 23 for crying out loud.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 3/14/2019 5:33:43 PM >

Josh Okogie - freed
Post #: 2307
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/13/2019 11:32:52 PM   
Matt Lang

quote:

And the third — and the Wolves are dead last in market — is indicative of how tough it is to get free agents to sign here.

We solved that problem by not having any cap space
Post #: 2308
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/14/2019 3:14:20 PM   
David Levine

Charlie Johnson@cjohnsNBA
141 NBA players have put up at least 15 fga/gm through their first 4 seasons. The top 7 by ts%:

7) Steph-58.6% (10-13)
6) Kareem-58.6% (70-73)
5) Shaq-58.8% (93-96)
4) Walter Davis-59.2% (78-81)
3) David Robinson-59.4% (90-93)
2) Kiki Vandeweghe-60% (81-84)
1) KAT-62.1% (16-19)
Post #: 2309
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/14/2019 11:47:06 PM   
Matt Lang

We’re nearing the end of his 5th season & Wiggins is the same player he has always been.
Post #: 2310
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/15/2019 11:19:03 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matt Lang

We’re nearing the end of his 5th season & Wiggins is the same player he has always been.

He's really not.

He's regressed this year almost completely across the board...
Post #: 2311
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/15/2019 11:40:56 AM   
David Levine

Looking quickly at the shot charts. The Jazz took 7 shots outside of 5 feet from the rim and the 3-point line. Three of those were inside 10 feet and they made 2. One was Korver with a toe on the line. Three were missed straightaway jumpers.

Andrew Wiggins took 7 such shots himself. And yes, he did indeed miss all of them.
Post #: 2312
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/15/2019 11:41:28 AM   
David Levine

Lowe on KAT:

1. Karl-Anthony Towns, unguardable

The Timberwolves have petered out amid injuries and a hail of enemy 3-pointers, but beleaguered Minny fans can take heart in these two realities:

• Towns has posted up more than any player since the Jimmy Butler trade;

• The Wolves have scored at a rate of a top-3 offense with Towns on the floor since December.

Towns is the league’s best hope for a sustainable, old school-ish inside-out offense — even a tick above Joel Embiid. He can do pretty much anything from any spot below the foul line, and that versatility makes him unguardable one-on-one. He is a slightly better passer than Embiid, with a lower turnover rate.

Towns is slinging about four assists per game since the Butler deal, up from about 2.5 before. He is patient reading help schemes, watching cutters whir around, and firing cross-court passes that travel one link further along the chain than the defense expects:

Towns is averaging 35 points per game on 60 percent shooting since the All-Star break. It has been a joke watching teams try to guard him. Only foul trouble can stop him. He is on pace for a second consecutive 50-40 shooting season, and he is a slightly improved free throw stroke — 84 percent career — from becoming the second big man ever to post a 50-40-90 season. (You know the other guy.)

The Wolves have poured in 1.2 points per possession on any trip featuring a Towns post-up since the Butler deal, one of the best marks in the league, per Second Spectrum. Consider that Robert Covington, Jeff Teague, Andrew Wiggins, Derrick Rose, and Tyus Jones all missed significant chunks of that time. Imagine when Towns can pass to more starter-level players?

He’s still not good enough on defense, but when he tries, he’s solid. On the other end, he’s an undisputed foundational superstar.
Post #: 2313
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/15/2019 12:42:37 PM   
Steve Lentz

Towns is an all NBA player.
He succeeds with little help on this team.
Nobody has played better offensively than Towns since the All Star break.

< Message edited by Steve Lentz -- 3/15/2019 12:47:46 PM >

"Here comes Diggins"!
Post #: 2314
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/15/2019 3:18:33 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

He's really not.

Agreed. Especially of late. He had some moments earlier in the year at least. But he's been blah since then. I have always been a bit of a Wiggins apologist, hoping that they don't give up on him because he does possess so much talent. I always held out hope that he would get it someday. But I'm about ready to throw in the towel on him. At his best he'll get you some points, occasionally shows flashes of tough defense when he feels like it. Otherwise he just kind of floats through games and collects his checks.

Not at all a player you can build around, like a player with his salary should be.

Josh Okogie - freed
Post #: 2315
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/15/2019 3:26:45 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

He's really not.

Agreed. Especially of late. He had some moments earlier in the year at least. But he's been blah since then. I have always been a bit of a Wiggins apologist, hoping that they don't give up on him because he does possess so much talent. I always held out hope that he would get it someday. But I'm about ready to throw in the towel on him. At his best he'll get you some points, occasionally shows flashes of tough defense when he feels like it. Otherwise he just kind of floats through games and collects his checks.

Not at all a player you can build around, like a player with his salary should be.

Unfortunately Grandpa Glen seems to love the guy. He has thwarted a couple of attempts to get rid of him.

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it. - Harold Kaese
Post #: 2316
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/15/2019 3:33:41 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

He's really not.

I don't think he does. He has tremendous physical gifts, but very little basketball ability/talent.
Post #: 2317
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/15/2019 3:40:11 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Yeah that's kind of what I meant. Gifts is a better word than talent maybe. Talent implies using his gifts in an effective way. And he doesn't do that.

Josh Okogie - freed
Post #: 2318
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/15/2019 3:52:49 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He's really not.

I don't think he does. He has tremendous physical gifts, but very little basketball ability/talent.

He is a real good athlete who happens to play basketball. He's not an athletic basketball player.

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it. - Harold Kaese
Post #: 2319
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/15/2019 4:04:58 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Yeah that's kind of what I meant. Gifts is a better word than talent maybe. Talent implies using his gifts in an effective way. And he doesn't do that.

Its basically just height, length and hops.

His lateral movement is really poor, he's not strong (and hasn't added any muscle or weight in 5 years), he has terrible hands and an even worse handle and he's probably on the lower end of overall coordination for an NBA starting wing.

He's basically "What if Joe Alexander was given 5 years and 14,000 NBA minutes"...
Post #: 2320
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/15/2019 5:24:20 PM   
David Levine

Britt goes after Wiggins and Ryan in today's column.

https://theathletic.com/870837/2019/03/15/timberwolves-ryan-saunders-end-of-season-plans-andrew-wiggins-jerryd-bayless/

The laziness of Andrew Wiggins
Why mince words anymore? The exposure of Wiggins’ apathy grows more blatant with each passing chunk of games.

The soft hugs of Ryan Saunders
Saunders’ refusal to be punitive with Wiggins’ playing time currently stands as the most formidable argument against retaining him as the head coach next season.

——————

Britt also talks a lot about Ryan’s rotations and use of players.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 3/15/2019 5:26:58 PM >
Post #: 2321
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/16/2019 12:13:32 PM   
Mr. Ed

Why mince words anymore? The exposure of Wiggins’ apathy grows more blatant with each passing chunk of games.

He got paid. About all he apparently cared about.

“Terrible thing to live in fear. Brooks Hatlen knew it. Knew it all too well. All I want is to be back where things make sense. Where I won't have to be afraid all the time.”
Post #: 2322
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/16/2019 2:50:28 PM   
Bill Jandro

Good thing Grampa Glen sat him on his knee before giving him that absurd contract.

MLB---Choose well and Championships will follow
Post #: 2323
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/17/2019 10:24:50 PM   
Steve Lentz

Tyus plays 29 minutes and fails to score a point.
Where do we go from here?
Towns and Covington are NBA starters. but who else? Hopefully Okogie develops into one.

"Here comes Diggins"!
Post #: 2324
RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day - 3/18/2019 7:22:19 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Tyus plays 29 minutes and fails to score a point.
Where do we go from here?
Towns and Covington are NBA starters. but who else? Hopefully Okogie develops into one.

You hit the hammer on the head. We have two starters on a good NBA team. You can't coach u[ what you don't have. We have a collection of reserves and some hope. This is a front office disaster.
Post #: 2325
Page:   <<   < prev  90 91 92 [93] 94   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2018 Game Day Page: <<   < prev  90 91 92 [93] 94   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode