Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: WEEK 8: vs Saints 10-28-18 7:20PM CT

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Game Day Talk >> RE: WEEK 8: vs Saints 10-28-18 7:20PM CT Page: <<   < prev  24 25 26 27 [28]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WEEK 8: vs Saints 10-28-18 7:20PM CT - 10/28/2018 10:59:22 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

In grading a coach, the wins and losses are just a part of the equation. I put more emphasis on the attitude and discipline of the team, how they execute, are they technically sound, do they understand game situations, awareness. Many good teams will have an occasional bad game, but the solidly coached teams don't do it often. The Vikings just don't play 60 minutes of sharp, disciplined football. That's on the coaching staff, it just is. They need to get better, but we've been saying that, the question is, can they?

Biggest difference in the 2 teams tonight was OLine and RBs. Everything else pretty even with Brees a slight edge.

The only difference in the RBs was that NO had two of them and we had one. Lat Murray was every bit as good as Kamara and Ingram.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm in an unhealthy co-dependent relationship with the Vikings. Damn it.
Post #: 676
RE: WEEK 8: vs Saints 10-28-18 7:20PM CT - 10/28/2018 10:59:47 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

quote:

I think it's fair to ask why the playcall on 4th and short. Empty backfield?

More than fair. DeFlip is the hot HC candidate. They need to ask him.

Absolutely. And Zimmer needs to be asked about taking a knee to end the first half. Zimmer and Flip both need to be asked about their hurry-up, long huddle, QB sneak offense.

Obviously the turnovers hurt, but we lost the TO battle by 1, that's hardly insurmountable.
Zimmer showed no confidence in our offense by taking that knee. I guarantee the players hated it.

I would agree but they weren't just TOs...50 yards in field position with the first one and a TD with the 2nd.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 677
RE: WEEK 8: vs Saints 10-28-18 7:20PM CT - 10/28/2018 11:00:18 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

In grading a coach, the wins and losses are just a part of the equation. I put more emphasis on the attitude and discipline of the team, how they execute, are they technically sound, do they understand game situations, awareness. Many good teams will have an occasional bad game, but the solidly coached teams don't do it often. The Vikings just don't play 60 minutes of sharp, disciplined football. That's on the coaching staff, it just is. They need to get better, but we've been saying that, the question is, can they?

Biggest difference in the 2 teams tonight was OLine and RBs. Everything else pretty even with Brees a slight edge.

The only difference in the RBs was that NO had two of them and we had one. Lat Murray was every bit as good as Kamara and Ingram.

Maybe Ingram...not Kamara.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 678
RE: WEEK 8: vs Saints 10-28-18 7:20PM CT - 10/28/2018 11:02:20 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

So you're ok with our defense being just even with the Saints? We have put a ton into it. I would like to see a bunch more from that side.

Me too. Maybe when Barr, Rhodes and Griff get back to 100% we will see it again.
Post #: 679
RE: WEEK 8: vs Saints 10-28-18 7:20PM CT - 10/28/2018 11:04:05 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Murray and Ingram might be a push but we need a healthy Cook to match up with Kamara.
Post #: 680
RE: WEEK 8: vs Saints 10-28-18 7:20PM CT - 10/28/2018 11:05:38 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So you're ok with our defense being just even with the Saints? We have put a ton into it. I would like to see a bunch more from that side.

Me too. Maybe when Barr, Rhodes and Griff get back to 100% we will see it again.

It feels like ever since the 2nd half of the Saints game we havent been close to the same defense. Especially against decent QBs. It's almost like the league has caught on to something and we have no counter.
Post #: 681
RE: WEEK 8: vs Saints 10-28-18 7:20PM CT - 10/28/2018 11:05:58 PM   
Pager

I make Flip Assistant Head Coach. Let him handle offense and the clock. Let Zimmer handle player development (he's been phenomenal) and defense.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 682
RE: WEEK 8: vs Saints 10-28-18 7:20PM CT - 10/28/2018 11:07:46 PM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Murray and Ingram might be a push but we need a healthy Cook to match up with Kamara.

Unfortunately, Cook will never be on Kamara's level.
Post #: 683
RE: WEEK 8: vs Saints 10-28-18 7:20PM CT - 10/28/2018 11:07:56 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It feels like ever since the 2nd half of the Saints game we havent been close to the same defense. Especially against decent QBs. It's almost like the league has caught on to something and we have no counter.

We held Eagles to 10 points before we started playing prevent. Eagles still win that division. With Agaji going down, if they get any kind of run game they'll start lighting people up again.

Have we played as well as last year? No, but we had a much easier schedule.

Get healthy, we'll be ok.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 684
RE: WEEK 8: vs Saints 10-28-18 7:20PM CT - 10/28/2018 11:08:33 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Tonight was a weird one because other than 1st drive, Brees didn't carve us up. Just had some really short fields that lead to points.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 10/28/2018 11:13:07 PM >
Post #: 685
RE: WEEK 8: vs Saints 10-28-18 7:20PM CT - 10/28/2018 11:09:23 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Unfortunately, Cook will never be on Kamara's level.

Starting to look that way.
Post #: 686
RE: WEEK 8: vs Saints 10-28-18 7:20PM CT - 10/29/2018 12:37:38 AM   
thebigo

Other than the 2 TOs we outplayed the Saints pretty good. Considering our injury situation the defense help up pretty damn well. Holton Hill looks like a playa. A lot of backups getting playing time will benefit us down the road. Rashad Hill was limping around, Sirles got trucked pretty good, if this team can get healthy for the stretch run, "We should be pretty good".

With respect to the discussion about teams running like well oiled machines, one should remember that Payton/Brees/offensive system have been together for what 10 years? Flip/Cousins/offensive system have been together for 1/2 season, there is bound to be a few hiccups. No one is seriously saying that the Saints defense is a welled oiled machine are they?
Post #: 687
RE: WEEK 8: vs Saints 10-28-18 7:20PM CT - 10/29/2018 1:45:09 AM   
marty

Diggs and Theilen were Over-comfident, and not focused.

The teams that win SBs, don't generally cough up the ball in December, and in the playoffs.

Still time to put this together. FIRE pRIEFer !

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 688
RE: WEEK 8: vs Saints 10-28-18 7:20PM CT - 10/29/2018 4:54:09 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

This site is unbearable after a loss...

"Thou shall not bear false witness"
There will be hell to pay.
Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the “M” is silent.......
Post #: 689
RE: WEEK 8: vs Saints 10-28-18 7:20PM CT - 10/29/2018 9:05:40 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Tonight was a weird one because other than 1st drive, Brees didn't carve us up. Just had some really short fields that lead to points.

Exactly. The Vikings spent more time beating themselves than the Saints did beating us.

Turnovers, Short fields because of failing on Fourth down in your own territory (and it was a great play by the Saints defender that knocked the ball away not Treadwell's fault). The defense did well, but the way they did well was by surrendering underneath to the Saints allowing them to slow march down the field and get points, and then the Vikings would shoot themselves in the foot on the next drive etc etc etc.

One thing I will say is that Theilen and Diggs were making PJ Williams look stupid frequently.

On the pick 6, Diggs gave up on the route, even he admits that, and that pretty much ended the game there, (since our head coach seem to be against the idea of taking any significant risks when down by two TDs or more late).

Seriously with 5 minutes to play we were down by 10 and it didn't look like we were trying to get the ball back with time to score.

No onsides kick.

No all out blitzs to generate a turnover

No trying to stop them from running out the clock.

Gameplan and mistakes cost us this game. A depleted defense actually did a great job against a prolific offense.

All of us are entitled to our own opinion. None of us are entitled to our own facts. - Daniel Patrick Moynahan and Alan Page
Post #: 690
RE: WEEK 8: vs Saints 10-28-18 7:20PM CT - 10/29/2018 12:08:43 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree. He's not Kamara, not nearly as fast or elusive.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 691
RE: WEEK 8: vs Saints 10-28-18 7:20PM CT - 10/29/2018 12:49:18 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree. He's not Kamara, not nearly as fast or elusive.

That dude makes you hold your breath every time he touches the damn ball.
He had one or two more he would have housed, had he not inexplicably dropped the ball.
Post #: 692
Page:   <<   < prev  24 25 26 27 [28]
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Game Day Talk >> RE: WEEK 8: vs Saints 10-28-18 7:20PM CT Page: <<   < prev  24 25 26 27 [28]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode