Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Free Agency 2019

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Free Agency 2019 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/6/2018 10:55:05 AM   
twinsfan

Cards will be looking to move Gyorko now that they have Goldschmidt. The Twins might have interest. His decline last season at Age 29 is concerning. His numbers show a big drop in power. But 2019 will be an important season for him. He has a $13 million team option for 2020, or a $1 million buyout, which would be likely unless he's amazing.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gyorkje01.shtml

--------------------------
---------
--
Post #: 51
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/6/2018 11:06:36 AM   
TJSweens

Here is an article from Pucket's Pond on recently non tendered free agents. It includes Matt's guy, Mike Fiers. I have no idea of the likely hood of any of these guys, but maybe it will spur some discussion since nobody seems interested in this thread right now.

Minnesota Twins: Non-Tendered free agents of interest

by Nate Palmer

The Minnesota Twins have a lot of holes to fill this offseason and there are some players who just recently became free agents who could help.

RHP Mike Fiers
Mike Fiers was left to be a free agent after being acquired by the Oakland Athletics midseason in 2018. While his 2018 ERA of 3.58 was his best in several seasons the A’s didn’t want to tender him a contract likely because he was projected to make $9.7 million via arbitration. Fiers also just turned in one of the lowest strikeout rates of his career at 19.5% but also had a near career low with his walk rate of 5.2%.

Fiers FIP of 4.75 doesn’t support his strong 3.56 ERA and his 3.7 bWAR and 1.4 fWAR evaluate him much differently making Fiers a bit more tricky pitcher to evaluate. He certainly is not the first pitcher the Twins should go after, but if they needed or wanted a pitcher on the cheap Fiers is an option.

RHP Shelby Miller
How things have changed for Shelby Miller. Once the center of two eye catching trades, he has now been evaluated basically as damaged goods. 2017 was cut short for Miller by Tommy John and 2018 was a continued struggle to return from said surgery only being able to start four games. Some team will be willing to take a chance on Miller and hope that somewhere within him the All-Star 2015 Miller can still emerge.

2B Jonathan Schoop
Jonathan Schoop may very well qualify as the top option for the Twins on this list because he really is still a starting caliber player even if 2018 didn’t really show it. At the trade deadline, many teams may have very well been trying to decide whether to trade for Schoop or Brian Dozier. The Brewers landed Schoop, and while he struggled through 2018 he has been an All-Star second baseman in the past.

Just a season ago Schoop hit .293/.338/.503 with a .841 OPS and 32 home runs. The average was a bit of a surprise but the power has always been around so Schoop is worth a look and could become a candidate as the Twins search for a new starting second baseman in 2019.

OF Avisail Garcia
The Twins have seen plenty of Avisail Garcia over the years. He doesn’t truly fit on the Twins roster as he would be one more outfielder added to an already crowded mix, but he is a right-handed batter with some pop which is something the Twins need. The questions about Garcia is was his stand out 2017 a product of his .392 BABIP or is there a real chance he could continue to be that sort of batter in the majors.

1B Justin Bour
This isn’t currently a huge need with the presence of C.J. Cron and Tyler Austin, but Justin Bour would be a bit of a different first baseman than Cron. Three of the past four seasons Bour has hit over 20 home runs. This past year his slash line wasn’t impressive at .227/.341/.404, but in 2017 he slashed a more impressive .289/.366/.536 with the Marlins. If the Twins wanted to already try and pivot from Cron or Austin, Bour becomes an option.

OF Billy Hamilton
We highlighted Billy Hamilton in our trade partner series as we tried to come up with a trade for the Twins with the Reds. Now as a free agent he will grab plenty of intrigue. Hamilton has a lot of speed but has failed to put that into real production as he struggles to get on base with a .236/.299/.327 slash line in 2018. Hamilton even struggled to steal bases in 2018 seeing his total drop down to 34 after stealing more than 50 in previous seasons.

It is hard to really put a lot of stock in Hamilton at this point in his career. Hamilton’s speed will land him on a roster somewhere as at the very least a pinch runner/fielder. Doesn’t it also just make you slightly curious to know what it would be like to have both Hamilton and Byron Buxton in the same outfield?

3B/2B Yangervis Solarte
Yangervis Solarte was the talk of baseball in the first half among fantasy players as he stepped into the starting third base role in big ways for the Toronto Blue Jays. In March and April Solarte began the season with a .848 OPS and then for the first half hit .241/.297/.422 and a .719 OPS.

OF/1B Jordan Patterson
I wrote a bit about Jordan Patterson right after the Rule 5 roster decisions were made. He still becomes an intriguing bat even if he has now already been on and off of three different organizations in a matter of weeks.

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it. - Harold Kaese
Post #: 52
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/6/2018 11:32:35 AM   
twinsfan

I like Fiers. He used to be a K machine. Still young enough to get it back.

I also like Gyorko as an infielder version of a rich man's Robbie Grossman at the plate. Climbing OBP numbers even in down years is a good sign.

---------
--
Post #: 53
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/6/2018 11:37:01 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

I also like Gyorko as an infielder version of a rich man's Robbie Grossman at the plate. Climbing OBP numbers even in down years is a good sign.

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it. - Harold Kaese
Post #: 54
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/6/2018 2:19:39 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

It's Matt Sweens, what do you expect?

The OBP obsession is glaringly obvious. He like Gyorko because he's an OBP kind of guy that the stat geeks love. Robbie Grossman was too, and they seem to ignore all the players other warts when they see what they think are good OBP numbers.

All of us are entitled to our own opinion. None of us are entitled to our own facts. - Alan Page
Post #: 55
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/6/2018 2:20:51 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

The OBP obsession is glaringly obvious. He like Gyorko because he's an OBP kind of guy that the stat geeks love. Robbie Grossman was too, and they seem to ignore all the players other warts when they see what they think are good OBP numbers.

What confused me is that I always thought a rich man's Robbie Grossman was Joe Mauer.

Post #: 56
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/6/2018 2:24:16 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

What confused me is that I always thought a rich man's Robbie Grossman was Joe Mauer.

Ah.

In any case,

Why bother with any player that compares to Robbie Grossman when we just dumped Robbie Grossman?

All of us are entitled to our own opinion. None of us are entitled to our own facts. - Alan Page
Post #: 57
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/6/2018 4:30:46 PM   
Mr. Ed

The Minnesota Twins announced today they have signed 9-position player Jack Shit to a lucrative free agent deal.

Terms were not disclosed, but those close to the organization say signing Jack Shit is what they were planning to do all offseason.

The source said, "The Twins have lots of great young talent management is banking on to improve and give them a shot at .500 in 2019.

Signing Jack Shit virtually guarantees it."

“Terrible thing to live in fear. Brooks Hatlen knew it. Knew it all too well. All I want is to be back where things make sense. Where I won't have to be afraid all the time.”
Post #: 58
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/6/2018 4:34:32 PM   
Mr. Ed

And in other REAL news,

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Twins shored up their middle infield with a pair of moves on Thursday, as they agreed to a one-year deal with second baseman Jonathan Schoop, according to a Major League source, and also signed utility infielder Ronald Torreyes to a one-year deal.
The Twins, though, have yet to officially announce the Schoop signing, as it is pending a physical. Schoop's deal is for slightly more than $7 million, according to MLB Network's Ken Rosenthal, who first reported the agreement.

choop and Torreyes figure to try to fill the holes left by Brian Dozier and Eduardo Escobar, who were traded at this year's non-waiver Trade Deadline. Schoop profiles similar to Dozier as a power-hitting second baseman with solid defense, while Torreyes is a better defender than Escobar but doesn't have his extra-base power.
Schoop, 27, was non-tendered by the Brewers on Friday, but has power, especially for a second baseman. Schoop had a career year in 2017, slashing .293/.338/.503 with 32 homers and 105 RBIs in 160 games with the Orioles. But he had a bit of a down year in '18, slashing a combined .233/.266/.416 with 21 homers and 61 RBIs in 131 games with Baltimore and Milwaukee. He also went hitless in eight postseason at-bats.
Advanced metrics paint Schoop as a an above-average defender at second where he can pair with shortstop Jorge Polanco as a double-play combo. He's a career .258/.294/.444 hitter with 110 homers, 130 doubles and 333 RBIs in 681 games over parts of six seasons.
Torreyes, meanwhile, was also non-tendered on Friday, as he was traded from the Yankees to the Cubs last week but was still ultimately not tendered a contract by Chicago. The Twins have been busy signing non-tendered players, as they also claimed C.J. Cron, who wasn't a tendered a contract with the Rays despite hitting 30 homers last season.

“Terrible thing to live in fear. Brooks Hatlen knew it. Knew it all too well. All I want is to be back where things make sense. Where I won't have to be afraid all the time.”
Post #: 59
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/6/2018 4:59:23 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Schoop. The classic blueprint Twins signing. Had an outlier career year two years ago. Has stunk since. But Twins assume he will regain that form and replicate the career year in perpetuity

Free Josh Okogie
Post #: 60
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/6/2018 5:07:03 PM   
Phil Riewer

SD

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 12/6/2018 5:17:07 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 61
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/6/2018 5:16:15 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

Schoop. The classic blueprint Twins signing. Had an outlier career year two years ago. Has stunk since. But Twins assume he will regain that form and replicate the career year in perpetuity

Still pretty young and has Dozier power....wonder what Dozier wanted for a contract......plus he is 4-5 years younger than Dozier.

Post #: 62
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/6/2018 6:00:11 PM   
McMurfy

I want to Shoop
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4vaN01VLYSQ

Here’s what really irks me.

No one cares.
The losing?
No one cares.

Not the players
Not the Coaches
Not Dick and Bert
Not the Owners
Not the Front Office
And Not most of the fans.
Post #: 63
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/6/2018 6:07:02 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Still pretty young and has Dozier power....wonder what Dozier wanted for a contract......plus he is 4-5 years younger than Dozier.

Like I said, he had Dozier power...for one year.

Free Josh Okogie
Post #: 64
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/6/2018 6:12:48 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

More to it than that....Dozier wanted a multi year contract....prob in the 3/45 range.

Post #: 65
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/6/2018 6:17:50 PM   
McMurfy

I hate the one year deals.

1. If he does bad, the Twins and Sheople say “ See, that’s why you do a 1 year deal”

2. A guy does great and the Twins and Sheople say “ See, we can’t afford him now, but we got three Single A players for him.”

No one cares.
The losing?
No one cares.

Not the players
Not the Coaches
Not Dick and Bert
Not the Owners
Not the Front Office
Post #: 66
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/6/2018 6:19:46 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

quote:

quote:

He’s had 4 straight 20+ HR years.
6 straight 15+ HR years.

He’s no Punto

No one cares.
The losing?
No one cares.

Not the players
Not the Coaches
Not Dick and Bert
Not the Owners
Not the Front Office
Post #: 67
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/6/2018 8:20:52 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

I want to Shoop
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4vaN01VLYSQ

Deadpool

And if he's awesome this year (from Deadpool 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI0tY5PRuHs

Post #: 68
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/6/2018 11:54:00 PM   
Jeff Allen

Who is going to bat leadoff for this team?
Post #: 69
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/7/2018 7:21:53 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

The Minnesota Twins announced today they have signed 9-position player Jack Shit to a lucrative free agent deal.

Terms were not disclosed, but those close to the organization say signing Jack Shit is what they were planning to do all offseason.

The source said, "The Twins have lots of great young talent management is banking on to improve and give them a shot at .500 in 2019.

Finally
Some "movement"
Post #: 70
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/7/2018 8:15:47 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Allen

Who is going to bat leadoff for this team?

Buxton, Polanco, Kepler or......Grossman?

---------
--
Post #: 71
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/7/2018 8:24:32 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

He just played hurt last year. When healthy he is a Top 5 second baseman. I'm willing to roll the dice that he's healthy.

---------
--
Post #: 72
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/7/2018 8:30:20 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

Post #: 73
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/7/2018 8:57:00 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

Finally
Some "movement"

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 74
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/7/2018 9:19:19 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Simply not true. On a per AB basis Schoop has shown a lot of power every year.

Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Free Agency 2019 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode