Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Free Agency 2019

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Free Agency 2019 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 9:44:13 AM   
McMurfy

A deeper look at pitching.

Berrios- Good
Gibson-Average
Ordozzi-Average
Pineda-Maybe good

Mejia, Romero, Stewart

Someone will work out.

Relief

May
Rogers
Reed
2 out of the above three
Junk Heap signee
Duffey

Again, we’ve had worse

Here’s what really irks me.

No one cares.
The losing?
No one cares.

Not the players
Not the Coaches
Not Dick and Bert
Not the Owners
Not the Front Office
And Not most of the fans.
Post #: 176
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 9:49:00 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

According to Doogie, there are stories out there that Nelson Cruz spends more time studying pitchers and film than any player in baseball today. On the airplane, when others are drinking, playing cards, jamming out or sleeping, Cruz is on his iPod studying pitchers.

Building up that Twins resume' that our FSN homers love to spout.
Post #: 177
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 9:49:41 AM   
SoMnFan

Good luck Murf
Let us know
Hope it all works out for the better.
Post #: 178
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 9:59:34 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Good luck Murf
Let us know
Hope it all works out for the better.

Good Luck Murf....I am actively looking too. As good as they say the job market is it is still tough out there.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 179
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 10:44:10 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

According to Doogie, there are stories out there that Nelson Cruz spends more time studying pitchers and film than any player in baseball today. On the airplane, when others are drinking, playing cards, jamming out or sleeping, Cruz is on his iPod studying pitchers.

Building up that Twins resume' that our FSN homers love to spout.

I have no doubt Falvine looked heavily at that plus Cruz being Dominican. No doubt they want him to mentor a certain over sized 3rd baseman.

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it. - Harold Kaese
Post #: 180
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 11:27:46 AM   
twinsfan

Listening to Doogie interview Nelson Cruz's agent, Bryce Dixon.

Dixon says it came down to the Rays, Astros and Twins. Thad Levine did a great job recruiting Cruz according to Dixon, as Levine and Cruz were close friends in Texas.

--------------------------
---------
--
Post #: 181
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 11:28:33 AM   
twinsfan

Cruz is here today to take his physical. The agreement will be official by today or Saturday.

He's excited about the power bats around him in this Twins lineup.

---------
--
Post #: 182
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 11:30:01 AM   
twinsfan

Cruz has implemented a perfect mix of sleep treatment, massage treatments and impeccable diet to keep himself in great baseball shape at his advancing age.

---------
--
Post #: 183
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 11:34:03 AM   
twinsfan

Cruz is a leader by example. But always in a good mood. Not one to lead a team speech. But a great leader on a one-on-one basis. Wow...sounds a lot like Joe Mauer, which is good.

---------
--
Post #: 184
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 11:36:27 AM   
twinsfan

Follow Cruz's agent on Twitter:

Bryce H. Dixon
@brycehdixon

---------
--
Post #: 185
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 11:39:14 AM   
twinsfan

December 11th interview with Cruz's agent at the winter meetings (by Tim Dierkes):

How are you positioning Nelson Cruz in this market when you talk to GMs?

He’ll be the straw that stirs in the drink in the middle of the lineup for you. He changes the entire lineup. When he’s in the middle there, the pitcher has to pitch completely differently and he’s the finishing piece that you know is going to go out there and give you exactly the production that you see on the back of the baseball card that you see every single year.

And when he gets into the playoffs, he’s already proven that the bigger the moment, the bigger he shines. You start to look back to some of the bombs he hit in the playoffs for Texas and you know he is a big-time player and he is burning to get back into the playoffs. He thought that the Mariners were going to do it this year. Obviously they fell short, and he was disappointed at that. Clearly he thought they had unfinished business, but the Mariners are going in a different direction so he’ll have to do it with another team.

He’s the guy that you plug in every single day in the middle of the lineup and rakes. Apart from that, he’s also a very good influence on the younger players, teaching them not only secrets of hitting, but how to conduct themselves on and off the field. He’s not a guy who is very vocal in the clubhouse. He’s not going to get up and start yelling at guys, but he’s definitely a one-on-one, lead-by-example guy, who’s going to take the younger guys and say, “If you want to be successful for as long as I’ve been successful, here’s how you do it.” That’s kind of how he leads because he’s definitely not a “ra ra” guy, but he’s always working hard, always having fun, and that rubs off on the younger guys for sure.

You mentioned a finishing piece. How important is it for Cruz to play for a contending team in 2019?

It’s important and I think where he’s at in his career, if you’re not a contender, you don’t really have a need for a Nelson Cruz. So the teams that are in on him want to win. He clearly wants to win and would love to get back to the playoffs and the World Series. He’s got unfinished business as far as that’s concerned. So yes, it’s of utmost importance, he wants to go back to the playoffs. Wherever he signs will be a team that has got designs on making the playoffs.

The general assumption is that National League teams can’t be in the mix for Cruz. Would you agree with that?

National League teams could be in the mix. He would love to play the field, but the last few years the Mariners have wanted him to exclusively DH. They had a ton of quality, quality outfielders so he didn’t play the field unless it was an NL park. Down the stretch he told the Mariners, end of August, September, “Start playing me more when we play the NL teams because we need to win these games and I know I can help out.” He did well there. He’ll do whatever the team wants, so if an NL team wants to put him in the field, he has no problem with that. Obviously he’s been DH, so the majority of the teams that are after him are American League teams.

If you’re looking at AL contenders with DH openings it looks like there are 4-5 suitors, and that feels a lot different than shopping around a reliever who might make sense for 20 teams. Have GMs been trying to leverage that against you?

Even though you’re clearly in a smaller universe because of who he is and which teams would have that need, they haven’t because there are enough teams that they don’t want to come in and lowball and try to act like there’s nowhere else for him to go. All 30 teams aren’t in like they would be on a middle reliever type, maybe, but there are numerous teams in so there’s enough to push his market where it needs to go. If there was only one or two, then maybe it would be a different answer. But there’s numerous, so he’s fine where he’s at.

In general when you have a free agent, how is it that you decide that you’ve got that last dollar or that the bidding has stopped?

There’s no perfect answer but you can sense from the team’s side, the tonal change, and it’s a feeling that you get. “OK, we’re at a point that we need to make a decision.” You have to try to read the future as much as possible. And think, if we don’t pull the trigger now, can this market collapse, or are we going to be fine waiting longer? It’s the totality of the circumstances. You’re looking at what happens with other players with other teams. Teams nowadays especially with trades, you’re kind of mixing them all together and coming up with the feeling, “OK, now is go time.”

---------
--
Post #: 186
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 12:01:28 PM   
SoMnFan

I knew it ... sneaky little bastard made it out alive!
Always wondered what happened to that little dude that used to stand in the streets in Baghdad and tell us about Americas impending death, once Iraq's superior Army got ahold of us.
Remember him? That little guy who told about them wiping out our advancing forces, when in reality they never got a shot off?
Good to see he's still alive, and reporting about the Twins off-season moves.
Post #: 187
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 12:22:58 PM   
kgdabom

WOW Nelson Cruz. What a hitter. 38 now. Does he have a couple years left? We will find out soon enough.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 188
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 1:27:01 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

Has TK had a meeting with Cruz yet to tell him to hit the ball the other way and stop showing off?

The Twins batting coaches have been known to mess with established players and talented rookies. The results are usually not favorable.

Minnesota professional sports can't be awful forever, can they?
Post #: 189
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 1:28:44 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

Currently a Finalist for a better job,fingers crossed.

Good luck!

quote:

Second that.

Post #: 190
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 1:30:06 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

Berrios- Good
Gibson-Average
Ordozzi-Average
Pineda-Maybe good

Mejia, Romero, Stewart

Someone will work out.

Relief

May
Rogers
Reed
2 out of the above three
Junk Heap signee
Duffey

Again, we’ve had worse

Is Duffey still with the Twins? How many years does this guy get a pass for being shitty?

Post #: 191
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 2:50:45 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

Berrios- Good
Gibson-Average
Ordozzi-Average
Pineda-Maybe good

Mejia, Romero, Stewart

Someone will work out.

Relief

May
Rogers
Reed
2 out of the above three
Junk Heap signee
Duffey

Again, we’ve had worse

Is Duffey still with the Twins? How many years does this guy get a pass for being shitty?

---------
--
Post #: 192
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 5:18:33 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Not a bad looking lineup.
Getting rid of Gross, Man and First Baseman No Power will reduce baserunners, but increase HRs.
Like chicks, I dig the long ball.
Pitching is Meh, but when isn’t it.
Getting more pumped for Baseball than I have in a long time.
I’m the Division Player Agent for our local Little League.
That means I’m in charge of the safety Evaluations and tryouts, running the draft, hosting a Coaches Clinic and scheduling Umpire Clinics.
My boys will be both be moving up a Division and Playing Up, both should be fine but young for their leagues.

I was laid off/ terminated in Early December, so am enjoying my time off, however stressful.

quote:

Pulling for success in this Murf. You deserve it

“Terrible thing to live in fear. Brooks Hatlen knew it. Knew it all too well. All I want is to be back where things make sense. Where I won't have to be afraid all the time.”
Post #: 193
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 5:18:54 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

Not a bad looking lineup.
Getting rid of Gross, Man and First Baseman No Power will reduce baserunners, but increase HRs.
Like chicks, I dig the long ball.
Pitching is Meh, but when isn’t it.
Getting more pumped for Baseball than I have in a long time.
I’m the Division Player Agent for our local Little League.
That means I’m in charge of the safety Evaluations and tryouts, running the draft, hosting a Coaches Clinic and scheduling Umpire Clinics.
My boys will be both be moving up a Division and Playing Up, both should be fine but young for their leagues.

I was laid off/ terminated in Early December, so am enjoying my time off, however stressful.

Pulling for success in this Murf. You deserve it

Doubly pulling for you Murf.

Hoping you don't have to endure the stench of 4 months of unemployment. 2 times in 2 years took its toll.

< Message edited by Mr. Ed -- 12/28/2018 5:22:21 PM >

“Terrible thing to live in fear. Brooks Hatlen knew it. Knew it all too well. All I want is to be back where things make sense. Where I won't have to be afraid all the time.”
Post #: 194
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 5:21:11 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

Has TK had a meeting with Cruz yet to tell him to hit the ball the other way and stop showing off?

The Twins batting coaches have been known to mess with established players and talented rookies. The results are usually not favorable.

A veteran, Cruz should have carte blanche to tell the hitting coaches to eff off.

He can probably coach up guys better than the coaches.

Post #: 195
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 5:52:21 PM   
MDK

best of luck in the job search Murf. Hopefully you find something good.

The Mauer era is over. The Mauer haters are happy. The Mauer lovers are sad. And those in the middle........Que Será, Será

MARA!!!!! Buy your rakes now and get to work.
Post #: 196
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 9:17:32 PM   
sixthwi

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

Ditto

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
Post #: 197
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 9:26:16 PM   
bstinger

Yes, good luck Murf.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 198
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/28/2018 9:57:01 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sixthwi

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

Ditto

Kerry, how was the trip to Germany? How have your treatments been going?

---------
--
Post #: 199
RE: Free Agency 2019 - 12/29/2018 12:29:08 PM   
Jeff Allen

We have a few players from the Dominican....maybe we can have a successful steroid year and contend this year.

We have $20-25 million to spend...I'd be surprised if we don't add a decent starter and proven closer to the mix.

LaVelle said that Romero is heading to the pen...I like that move. He could be a late-inning guy and we need a few of them.

Twins will contend this year IF Buxton plays 150 games and eventually takes over the leadoff spot. Big IF.
Post #: 200
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Free Agency 2019 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode