Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2019 10:48:03 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

Very un-Minnesotan to not extend Spielman and Zimmer's contracts thus far. Above average usually gets it done.

the wilf's could be getting ready to sell the team, and want to allow the new owners the flexibility of selecting their own coaches and front office personnel....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2776
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2019 11:44:18 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

Very un-Minnesotan to not extend Spielman and Zimmer's contracts thus far. Above average usually gets it done.

the wilf's could be getting ready to sell the team, and want to allow the new owners the flexibility of selecting their own coaches and front office personnel....

The Wilf's aren't selling. The have a shiny new ATM for their team to play in. Owning an NFL team was a dream come true for them. The Vikings are still their favorite toy.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2777
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2019 12:07:03 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

Is that pure speculation based on hearsay ... and if so, where did you hear it?

Or is that pure speculation / thinking out loud ...
Post #: 2778
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2019 12:31:11 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

Is that pure speculation based on hearsay ... and if so, where did you hear it?

Or is that pure speculation / thinking out loud ...

thinking out loud....

Post #: 2779
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2019 1:16:07 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Sean Borman@SeanBoarMan
Ben Goessling said on KFAN he expects Rick Dennison to be named offensive line coach for the #Vikings.

Post #: 2780
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2019 9:06:40 AM   
Bruce Johnson

He does have an impressive resume with a lot of experience at different positions. What's interesting to me is that he was a linebacker as a player, but has coached on offense, including offensive coordinator and QB coach.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Dennison

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2781
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2019 9:15:08 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

He does have an impressive resume with a lot of experience at different positions. What's interesting to me is that he was a linebacker as a player, but has coached on offense, including offensive coordinator and QB coach.

He was TE/WR in college
Post #: 2782
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2019 9:49:18 AM   
Viking Rich

This guy nailed it as far as the play of the OLine this past season and how coaching was a very big part of the problem. There was no accountability for the poor results for marching out the same crap week after week.

https://thevikingage.com/2019/01/26/fix-minnesota-vikings-offensive-line/4/

Give Chandler the Rock
Post #: 2783
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2019 10:07:59 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

This guy nailed it as far as the play of the OLine this past season and how coaching was a very big part of the problem. There was no accountability for the poor results for marching out the same crap week after week.

The title of the article is "How to fix the Vikings’ offensive line with their current roster" and the author "nailed it"? The assumption is there was better crap to march out there. Simply classic MMQBing with nothing of substance to back it up.
Post #: 2784
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2019 10:17:14 AM   
jbusse

quote:

I agree. If something isn't working, try something else.

Reminds me of 2013 when it was obvious that Ponder wasn't playing well, and when asked for comment, Frazier would reply that he needed to review the tape. It was obvious something wasn't working, so make a change.

Sticking with the status quo suggests that the backup o-lineman are even worse, which seems difficult to believe. I'd like to believe that the team would bench relatively high draft picks or free agent signings that play like crap, but I'm not sure they would. It's as if the coaches are scared to make Spielman look bad.
Post #: 2785
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2019 10:25:31 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

Reminds me of 2013 when it was obvious that Ponder wasn't playing well, and when asked for comment, Frazier would reply that he needed to review the tape. It was obvious something wasn't working, so make a change.

Sticking with the status quo suggests that the backup o-lineman are even worse, which seems difficult to believe. I'd like to believe that the team would bench relatively high draft picks or free agent signings that play like crap, but I'm not sure they would. It's as if the coaches are scared to make Spielman look bad.

Continuity is almost as important as anything else for an OL unit. The throw crap at the wall and see what sticks coaching approach should be limited to OTAs, training camp, and preseason.
Post #: 2786
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2019 10:31:25 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

Continuity is almost as important as anything else for an OL unit. The throw crap at the wall and see what sticks coaching approach should be limited to OTAs, training camp, and preseason.

That's conventional wisdom. Would you never bench an underperforming offensive lineman? The Vikings don't seem to.
Post #: 2787
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2019 11:08:31 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's conventional wisdom. Would you never bench an underperforming offensive lineman? The Vikings don't seem to.

Of course I would. Just not for a worse performing player. It's not like the Vikes haven't seen what they have at backup. This don't want to make Spielman look bad stuff is silly, why would Spielman look bad if we replaced Compton with Isiidora?
Post #: 2788
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2019 11:44:12 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Of course I would. Just not for a worse performing player. It's not like the Vikes haven't seen what they have at backup. This don't want to make Spielman look bad stuff is silly, why would Spielman look bad if we replaced Compton with Isiidora?

Difficult to argue with that example.

I guess I find it difficult to believe that the worst of the three starting interior lineman is better than the best of Jones, Edison, and Isidora. Or at the very least, let's take a look during a real game. What was the Elflein stat on pressures given up? He was dreadful.
Post #: 2789
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2019 3:02:38 PM   
Pager

Not an overly impressive article. When you suggest switching tackles mid-season just to get a spark? What did one olineman say switching sides was like? Trying to wipe your behind with your other hand. Also moving from center to guard seems like too big of a mid-season change.

That said, in-season, several posters, including myself, talked about benching Remmers or Compton. I would rather have seen Izzy out there for Remmers when it was obvious the move from T to G was failing spectacularly.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2790
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2019 4:56:23 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

He was TE/WR in college

Amazing player to be so versatile. I bet someone like that just really loves football.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2791
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2019 7:31:52 PM   
Viking Rich

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

My point was that Zimmer and Co. kept putting the same crap out there EVERY WEEK with garbage results. Everyone knows an offensive line needs cohesion, but if the results you want continues to come up short, you try something else. Why not try Isidora or Jones? Hard to believe it could have been any worse. Why not promote Edison? Gossett gets plucked from the practice squad. Let's continue to march these "Veteran" scrubs out there EVERY week.

Zimmer is extremely guilty of this. He will continue to start his vets, no matter how bad they're playing. He'll, if Sendejo doesn't get hurt, Anthony Harris is still riding the pine.

Give Chandler the Rock
Post #: 2792
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2019 7:33:06 PM   
Viking Rich

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

My point was that Zimmer and Co. kept putting the same crap out there EVERY WEEK with garbage results. Everyone knows an offensive line needs cohesion, but if the results you want continues to come up short, you try something else. Why not try Isidora or Jones? Hard to believe it could have been any worse. Why not promote Edison? Gossett gets plucked from the practice squad. Let's continue to march these "Veteran" scrubs out there EVERY week.

Zimmer is extremely guilty of this. He will continue to start his vets, no matter how bad they're playing. Hell, if Sendejo doesn't get hurt, Anthony Harris is still riding the pine.

Give Chandler the Rock
Post #: 2793
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2019 7:35:13 PM   
Viking Rich

Sorry for the double post

Give Chandler the Rock
Post #: 2794
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2019 10:19:03 PM   
ruffenach

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Zimmer is extremely guilty of this. He will continue to start his vets, no matter how bad they're playing. Hell, if Sendejo doesn't get hurt, Anthony Harris is still riding the pine.

History shows that most coaches never coach 5 years for the same team,
Post #: 2795
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2019 11:29:39 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Zimmer is extremely guilty of this. He will continue to start his vets, no matter how bad they're playing. He'll, if Sendejo doesn't get hurt, Anthony Harris is still riding the pine.

Can't believe Zimmer let them play Brian O'neill, or Elflein last year.
Post #: 2796
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2019 8:31:55 AM   
Bill Jandro

I wouldn't mind to have seen what some of the other guys could do.

This cohesive unit crap is a bit overblown. Hell, if they can't block anybody they're not very cohesive to begin with.

We flat out need better players, better coaching, and a better blocking scheme.

Bringing in the veteran coaches was a good move. Now let's get some NFL caliber players.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2797
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2019 10:34:11 AM   
Viking Rich

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Me neither, especially the way Elflein struggled.

Why not play Jones? As for O'Neil, it wouldn't have happened with him either, if Hill hadn't gotten hurt.

See a pattern?

Give Chandler the Rock
Post #: 2798
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2019 10:51:53 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Me neither, especially the way Elflein struggled.

Why not play Jones? As for O'Neil, it wouldn't have happened with him either, if Hill hadn't gotten hurt.

See a pattern?

Hmmmm. Won't replace a veteran with a young guy. Oh yeah, I see that! er wait. No, won't replace a young guy with a veteran. Yeah that's it!

About the only pattern I see is a bunch of posters in a competitive straw man competition.
Post #: 2799
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2019 12:08:40 PM   
quote:

Sean Borman@SeanBoarMan
Ben Goessling said on KFAN he expects Rick Dennison to be named offensive line coach for the #Vikings.

Huge pickup IMO...
  Post #: 2800
Page:   <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode