Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  130 131 [132] 133 134   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2019 2:45:32 AM   
marty

Even if Robison wasn't as good, it would have been better for last year having his presence. And I don't think the young guys they kept, Bowers, Johnson and Holmes are setting the world on fire. As long as they had Weatherly, good to go.

Griffen was the key to the defense, and I suspect his mental status would have been totally different with Robison aboard, and Griffen, Hunter and Richardson would have given shades of the Millard, Doleman Thomas line, a dominating trifecta, and Weatherly and Robison could have chimed in as if they were Noga coming off the bench [despite the fact that Noga was a starter].

I liked some of Weatherly's play, but a mentally and physically healthy Griffen totally another thing, a dominating force. There should be more effort into getting him mentally on track, than on restructuring, this man is in his prime.

While it was similar to the Greenway situation, I think Robison was a totally different situation, and keeping him would have prevented the negative domino effect with Griffen losing it last year. But keeping Robison might have then just delayed Griffen losing it for a year, so it might be bette long term the way things panned out, should Griffen return to form.

< Message edited by marty -- 2/20/2019 2:48:37 AM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3276
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2019 8:20:57 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Griffen's wife Tiffany said that Everson has not been acting normal lately. She stated that last Sunday on 09-16-18 they were sleeping and in the middle of the night he got up and left. Tiffany said that he does this from time to time as he is fighting with “demons” in his head and that it’s normal for him to run away and has done this throughout his life.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 3277
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2019 8:28:26 AM   
Phil Riewer

You can't keep aged vets at the expense of younger guys....Weatherly vs Robison and Hill vs Newman are examples. Sometimes you have to take steps back to improve the team.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3278
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2019 8:35:40 AM   
Todd M

Good point Phil.

I wouldn't go back and trade Weatherly for Robison's farewell tour. So if that is the trade off then forget it.

I guess I place more blame on the mysterious lack of chemistry than is warranted. No going back though...only forward.
Post #: 3279
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2019 9:18:13 AM   
Bruce Johnson

The younger players are usually cheaper, too.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3280
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2019 9:29:05 AM   
ratoppenheimer

nobody expected weatherly to play as well as he did last season, but the staff had faith in him, he got an opportunity and he rose up to the task - how do we know what bowers, johnson and holmes could really bring to the game until they get their opportunity...if zimmer and co. felt that letting robison walk was the best decision, then he walks....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 3281
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2019 9:54:04 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Good point Phil.

I wouldn't go back and trade Weatherly for Robison's farewell tour. So if that is the trade off then forget it.

I guess I place more blame on the mysterious lack of chemistry than is warranted. No going back though...only forward.

This has the flag of a coaching problem. Not locker room leadership.

Unsure if Zim has lost the players ear or possibly he was holding Flippos hand spending too much time on offense.

I still think Zim should hand over the defensive play calling duties to Edwards and focus on managing the game ect..

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3282
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2019 10:27:06 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Good point Phil.

This has the flag of a coaching problem. Not locker room leadership.

Unsure if Zim has lost the players ear or possibly he was holding Flippos hand spending too much time on offense.

I still think Zim should hand over the defensive play calling duties to Edwards and focus on managing the game ect..

If you want a longer playoff window you have to do it (Robison and Newman cuts)....NE has been masterful at it. Look at the roster and see where they need to get younger and have them up to speed after a possible rugged early part of the year. Harris, Weatherly, Hill, O'Neil, and Beebe getting playing time last year made that many less possible spots to have to fill this off season. I don't think Weatherly, O'Neil, Hill, or Beebe were planned but it should demonstrate something to Zimmer/Spielman.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3283
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2019 10:27:10 AM   
Bill Jandro

Per Courtney Cronin

Blake Baratz, Adam Thielen's agent, on @SKORNorth:

"I'm cautiously optimistic that everyone will come around and do the right thing...everyone understands the situation...it's really in their court...he's earned a significant pay raise."

"We're all hopeful that it'll get done."

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3284
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2019 10:27:11 AM   
David Levine

The idea that keeping Robison would have somehow kept Griff from having his breakdown seems absolutely absurd to me.
Post #: 3285
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2019 10:47:45 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

The idea that keeping Robison would have somehow kept Griff from having his breakdown seems absolutely absurd to me.

You might be right and everyone might agree. It's easy to dismiss it. But, I suggest that maybe no one on the team knew Griff like BR did. Friends who spent a lot of time together. Maybe BR catches the slide, sees things, or hears things. Maybe Griff leans on him. When someone is sliding down sometimes a lifeline thrown is caught and you are pulled up.
Post #: 3286
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2019 11:19:50 AM   
Ragnarök

Thielen and his agent are lobbying for Adam to be paid like a no 1 receiver...

Adam's money this year is 7M, Stefon's is 9.5M

Thielen enters the third season of a four-year, $19.246 million base deal. Diggs has a five-year, $72 million contract.

Throw him a few more bucks in signing bonus and extend his contract 3 more years?

Think he has proven he is a viable threat on offense both slot and outside, has a knack for creating separation and making contested catches, not quite going to call him a Cris Carter but he has the hands and sideline awareness to get job done. Would like to see him and the QB more on same page and less yelling at one another... Hope 2019 gets going as 2018 started off and carries through to playoffs with Adam having a big year and earning a nice new contract for the home brewed Minnesota dream story of a WR.

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 2/20/2019 11:26:53 AM >
Post #: 3287
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2019 11:22:21 AM   
David F.

A stark example showing that sometimes the head coach indeed does not know better than the average fan - at least 100% of the time. We fans sometimes like to think there is some double-secret tricky strategy going on that's imperceptible to the common eye when in reality, sometimes the head coach is just a dumb-dumb.

Cassandra, Pudgy Nobody

Verified account

@ChrisWarcraft
55m55 minutes ago
More Cassandra, Pudgy Nobody Retweeted Jon Bois
This is a fantastic piece by the fantastic @jon_bois, but I have to regretfully inform you that he did not, in fact, find the SADDEST PUNT IN THE WORLD.

How do I know?

Because I, under duress, perpetrated the SADDEST PUNT IN THE WORLD in 2008.

https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2008092807/2008/REG4/vikings@titans …Cassandra, Pudgy Nobody added,
Jon Bois
Verified account

@jon_bois
here is a new episode of Chart Party. it is called THE SEARCH FOR THE SADDEST PUNT IN THE WORLD: https://youtu.be/F9H9LwGmc-0
14 replies 63 retweets 331 likes
Reply 14 Retweet 63 Like 331 Direct message

Cassandra, Pudgy Nobody

Verified account

@ChrisWarcraft
46m46 minutes ago
More
When we were told to punt, we asked "Why?"

The response (from the head coach!) was "We're thinking a defensive stop then score."

Again, we had no timeouts left. Their return unit laughed at us as we lined up and asked "WTF are you guys doing?"

We kicked it.

8 replies 3 retweets 67 likes
Reply 8 Retweet 3 Like 67 Direct message

Cassandra, Pudgy Nobody

Verified account

@ChrisWarcraft
45m45 minutes ago
More
*This* punt, I think you'll all agree with me, now that you know the details, is THE SADDEST PUNT IN THE WORLD. Thank you for listening.

9 replies 2 retweets 167 likes
Reply 9 Retweet 2 Like 167 Direct message

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 3288
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2019 11:45:06 AM   
Todd M

My brain flashed that that was Frasier but no that was Mr 12man himself. Worst Viking coach ever!
Post #: 3289
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2019 11:52:51 AM   
David F.

quote:

My brain flashed that that was Frasier but no that was Mr 12man himself. Worst Viking coach ever!

An inanimate carbon rod could have won that NFCCG with Favre and company.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 3290
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2019 1:47:10 PM   
Ragnarök

Since I am on hiatus from talking about offensive leadership subjects...

I was thinking about D and who should be kept or what we are looking for in FA and draft after OL is addressed...

I was looking at stats and why last year the D seemed to fall a bit flat at critical situations. Im starting to lean heavily on a problem with coaching and specifically defensive philosophy and how our athletes on D are being coached to play given formations and strategies.

In the teams mind set, its been mentioned numerous times that we are not a team coached up or predicated on turn overs. Im sorry, but with the way the NFL has been driven into a pass happy players safety first league that throws a flag for roughness if it looked like a mega millions star gets brushed we are missing the boat.

I truly have come to the conclusion that the game has passed our HC by. His past strengths no longer are statistically sound methods of winning a game overall. The defense is so hamstrung by fear of penalties and actual game changing calls on D that Zimm's philosophy is becoming a dinosaur on how the team is built and executed.

Zimmer saw this, about how so much contact was going to be called, and it really seemed to cause us to play timid... yet it didnt at all work because the personnel sets and formations we put out there are built on a philosophy of play that is being phased out in the NLF. It wasnt just the Vikings, other strong D's noticeably struggled but It seemed we didnt fully have an answer on how to solve and just running less blitz packages and pulling up rather than playing smash mouth compounded the looks...

Dont get me wrong there is a time and place for a stout D and especially in points in big games to take over the momentum. But much of the style of play we coach up ends up biting us in the ass as we draw a phantom or ticky tack fricken penalty on 3 and 13... Seen it over and over last year...

The best defenses these days play a heavy bend but dont break and place high importance on turn overs Its all about how many times your teams gets to touch the ball on offense that essentially wins the game. Its becoming a liability to have a Andrew Sendejo out there launching himself, or a smash mouth safetyy or LB who plays like LT... Still is great importance on very stout front four who can dominate the line and collapse the pocket on a consistent basis, then mix in occasional blitz and pressure packages dependent on QB strengths. Playing one brand of D as we do and seemingly not changing gameplan and philosophy to fit QB/ opponents weakness just isnt working in todays NFL... Thats a coaching problem...

That said, when you have your hands on the ball on offense you MUST score touchdowns in a pass happy safety first league...

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 2/20/2019 1:59:52 PM >
Post #: 3291
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2019 2:31:25 PM   
jbusse

quote:

Mike Tice did that as well during a game quarterbacked by Spergon Wynn, against Baltimore, I believe. By punting, there was no way they could win. I guess Tice knew what he had with Wynn.
Post #: 3292
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2019 2:43:03 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

An inanimate carbon rod could have won that NFCCG with Favre and company.

In today's safety conscious throw a flag if you brush the QB high or low we would have won that game without doubt!

So many games of the past that the Vikings didnt advance only to see rules changes in years to come that would have had profound effects on outcome on that said game...

That said... its kinda funny that said Bountygate instigators Gregg Williams and Joe Vitt who testified against one another in the scandal and were both punished by the league have gotten the band back together under Gase on the Jets this year and will be going up against Brady.... Think there is any chance Brady is left to be treated like Favre in NFCCG?

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 2/20/2019 2:55:58 PM >
Post #: 3293
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2019 3:10:39 PM   
Todd M

I didn't realize at the time that Kluwe was saying he had the #1...which would only supplant us as the current #1 to have #1 and #2.
Post #: 3294
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/20/2019 4:07:30 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Frasier was the "We were playing for the blocked FG".
Post #: 3295
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2019 3:13:21 PM   
Ragnarök

Vikings hire two offensive quality control coaches
Posted by Josh Alper on February 21, 2019, 3:58 PM EST

Getty Images
Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski held a press conference on Thursday and broke news about a couple of additions to his coaching staff.

Stefanski said that Christian Jones and AC Patterson have been hired as offensive quality control coaches.

Patterson’s arrival gives the Vikings their third father-son tandem on the coaching staff. Patterson’s father Andre is the team’s defensive line coach. The Pattersons join the Zimmers — head coach Mike and linebackers coach Adam — and Kubiaks — offensive advisor Gary and quarterbacks coach Klint — on that list.

Patterson played college football at UTEP and spent the last four seasons at Portland State. Jones was a wideout at Northwestern and spent a year as a graduate assistant in Evanston before spending last year at the University of Texas.
Post #: 3296
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2019 5:40:53 PM   
Todd M

Seems like the offense is getting 2 sets of training wheels. Don't some call it a day with a HC and OC?
Post #: 3297
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2019 8:24:01 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

Getty Images
Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski held a press conference on Thursday and broke news about a couple of additions to his coaching staff.

Stefanski said that Christian Jones and AC Patterson have been hired as offensive quality control coaches.

Patterson’s arrival gives the Vikings their third father-son tandem on the coaching staff. Patterson’s father Andre is the team’s defensive line coach. The Pattersons join the Zimmers — head coach Mike and linebackers coach Adam — and Kubiaks — offensive advisor Gary and quarterbacks coach Klint — on that list.

Patterson played college football at UTEP and spent the last four seasons at Portland State. Jones was a wideout at Northwestern and spent a year as a graduate assistant in Evanston before spending last year at the University of Texas.

Even if the football doesn't go well, it seems our staff sets up well for the Pinewood Derby.....

< Message edited by bohumm -- 2/21/2019 8:31:37 PM >
Post #: 3298
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2019 8:36:46 PM   
Todd M

quote:

Unified Offensive Vision

The UOVO should be miles better than a KAO.
Post #: 3299
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2019 8:49:24 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

Getty Images

Even if the football doesn't go well, it seems our staff sets up well for the Pinewood Derby.....

Excellent.
Got a good chuckle out of that one today.
Post #: 3300
Page:   <<   < prev  130 131 [132] 133 134   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  130 131 [132] 133 134   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode