Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2019 9:49:38 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

Unified Offensive Vision

The UOVO should be miles better than a KAO.

I used to love the bit Dan Barreiro did on his show "Great Moments in a Kick Ass Offense".

The Vikings line up with a single set back. Ponder steps in over center and now there are flags all over the place as everyone was moving ...

That was another great moment in a 'Kick Ass Offense'.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3301
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2019 9:53:04 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

Vikings hire two offensive quality control coaches
Posted by Josh Alper on February 21, 2019, 3:58 PM EST

Getty Images
Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski held a press conference on Thursday and broke news about a couple of additions to his coaching staff.

Stefanski said that Christian Jones and AC Patterson have been hired as offensive quality control coaches.

Patterson’s arrival gives the Vikings their third father-son tandem on the coaching staff. Patterson’s father Andre is the team’s defensive line coach. The Pattersons join the Zimmers — head coach Mike and linebackers coach Adam — and Kubiaks — offensive advisor Gary and quarterbacks coach Klint — on that list.

Patterson played college football at UTEP and spent the last four seasons at Portland State. Jones was a wideout at Northwestern and spent a year as a graduate assistant in Evanston before spending last year at the University of Texas.

Even if the football doesn't go well, it seems our staff sets up well for the Pinewood Derby.....

Excellent.
Got a good chuckle out of that one today.

That's when I found out what a terrible father I was because I naively thought the kids were supposed to work on their own cars. There really should have been a separate category for the fathers.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3302
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2019 10:09:43 AM   
Ragnarök

Kevin Stefanski: Gary Kubiak’s history with Shanahans can help Kirk Cousins

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/21/kevin-stefanski-gary-kubiaks-history-with-shanahans-can-help-kirk-cousins/

Ummm, didnt Kirk only have like 1 or two wins under the Shanahans in Washington?

I believe his success started when McVay took over... Now go sign McVay as OC and I may agree here...

So this year we have a TON of cooks in the kitchen and a first year chef... hope this works better than Norv and Shurm did together...
Post #: 3303
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2019 10:53:11 AM  1 votes
marty

This warrior would have helped the Vikings last year, but I don't think it would have been enough for a Super Bowl win. So it probably would have been a waste, and his a year older now, probably should continue on with the young talent.

https://twitter.com/i/redirect?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fi%2Ftopics%2Ftweet%2F1098919792499552256%3Fcn%3DZmxleGlibGVfcmVjcw%253D%253D%26refsrc%3Demail&t=1+1550844834420&cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjcw%3D%3D&sig=c6732662ac4f06a92ccf928a5563ad37f261e371&iid=c781e24a2c9f4a19838af95641968597&uid=4751832683&nid=244+289476625

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 3304
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2019 10:56:49 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/21/kevin-stefanski-gary-kubiaks-history-with-shanahans-can-help-kirk-cousins/

Ummm, didnt Kirk only have like 1 or two wins under the Shanahans in Washington?

I believe his success started when McVay took over... Now go sign McVay as OC and I may agree here...

So this year we have a TON of cooks in the kitchen and a first year chef... hope this works better than Norv and Shurm did together...

nm

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 2/22/2019 11:29:17 AM >
Post #: 3305
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2019 1:39:38 PM   
Ragnarök

Please know just because I post something on Kirk Cousins the QB of the Vikings and provide a link its not necessarily a direct bash on the said QB without merit or having something of quality pertaining to the whole team. I get you guys are tired of the straight out "Kirk Sucks" posts...

The post above has all to do with our OC claiming that adding all these extra offensive coaches they are running out of position names for and sons to hire are in some way directly tied to helping Kirk. I will buy the effort to get more minds involved, but the idea that it directly helps Kirk because of the connection to his play under Shannys in Wash is flawed at best... It was Mc Vay that got Kirk on track and seeing results in Washington...

Many dont read my posts, just dismiss them at first sight as more KC bashing... I get that, and admit I have earned that... so be it... but bugs me when I pose something with merit and still get flamed as in http://talkvikes.gorge.net/tm.aspx?m=1482605&mpage=130# post 3229 I was called a stalker?

That post was came from information directly from Kirk's own website and was about a guy he uses for brain training to "be sharper" for games... I only pointed out in one paragraph it seemed odd that they were "programming" for a road trip before he even played a game at home that we all thought had a very odd outcome. In no way was I attacking anyone...

https://officialize.com/@kirkcousins/blogs/news/head-games-how-kirk-cousins-uses-brain-training-to-get-an-edge
Post #: 3306
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2019 2:04:55 PM   
Bill Jandro

I think if I were an NFL owner I would have a mandate quashing coaches hiring their son's.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3307
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2019 2:25:50 PM   
Ragnarök

Im curious the coaching structure in New England... They seem to have a winning model in place...

Does NE have assistants for position coaches and then Quality control positions added to that layer as well? I have seen other teams doing this, but its like the Cardinals and Jets and not the top tier programs...

Does the hoodie have such a melding of minds or does he just trust the titled coaches to do their job as assigned?

EDIT went and looked and they have only the basic one tier of offensive coaching with OC, OL, RB and TE, 4 minds on Offensive coaching staff...

Even less on Defensive side of ball! They have no DC and only one position coach, Safties Coach Steve Belichick (there you have it... Bill's son on staff) as well as his younger son Brian Belichick is also on staff in some capacity.

Our influx of young minds could be good, but it also could flood the mix with too many opinions?

Agree the whole deal with hiring all your sons and relatives (son in laws as well) and friends seems less like adding the most qualified personnel to staff, but that is way it has been done in NFL forever...

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 2/22/2019 2:34:10 PM >
Post #: 3308
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2019 7:30:46 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

Im curious the coaching structure in New England... They seem to have a winning model in place...

Does NE have assistants for position coaches and then Quality control positions added to that layer as well? I have seen other teams doing this, but its like the Cardinals and Jets and not the top tier programs...

Does the hoodie have such a melding of minds or does he just trust the titled coaches to do their job as assigned?

EDIT went and looked and they have only the basic one tier of offensive coaching with OC, OL, RB and TE, 4 minds on Offensive coaching staff...

Even less on Defensive side of ball! They have no DC and only one position coach, Safties Coach Steve Belichick (there you have it... Bill's son on staff) as well as his younger son Brian Belichick is also on staff in some capacity.

Our influx of young minds could be good, but it also could flood the mix with too many opinions?

Agree the whole deal with hiring all your sons and relatives (son in laws as well) and friends seems less like adding the most qualified personnel to staff, but that is way it has been done in NFL forever...

Nice try.

Wide right on the, 'we're not doing it like the Patriots'.

The Patriots do not have a system or model to emulate. Unless you can find another guy that is the best GM, the best HC, and the best DC – all wrapped into up into one. If you can duplicate that, and find one other guy that is the greatest QB of all time – to start the duplication process – no problemo.

Fumbled snap on the, 'hiring sons means not hiring other qualified coaches",

Since that's probably the one similarity we share with the Patriots coaching staff. The NFL has always been an old boys network, complete nepotism. All the NFL. Sons and buddies. You'd be ok with hiring a food safety instructor from the University of Puget Sound to coach LBs because you never heard of him, but because it's Zimmers kid, its heresy.

My Gawd you have an itch that you just can't seem to scratch.
Post #: 3309
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2019 7:50:03 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

Nice try.

The Patriots do not have a system or model to emulate. Unless you can find another guy that is the best GM, the best HC, and the best DC – all wrapped into up into one. If you can duplicate that, and find one other guy that is the greatest QB of all time – to start the duplication process – no problemo.

Since that's probably the one similarity we share with the Patriots coaching staff. The NFL has always been an old boys network, complete nepotism. All the NFL. Sons and buddies. You'd be ok with hiring a food safety instructor from the University of Puget Sound to coach LBs because you never heard of him, but because it's Zimmers kid, its heresy.

AND My Gawd you have a absolute hard on for proving me wrong, discrediting me and just rubbing my nose in whatever...

Appreciate your passion though... And usually not at all tough to find flaws in anything I post here...

I was strictly talking coaching and if you want to elevate BB that high over the D mind of Zimm you have every right... It was just a example of what the most successful NFL team model does in comparison to our current model of coaching hires...

My whole point was not to say we need to be NE in structure, but more so posing the question of how many assistant and quality control hires do you need per position coach, not to mention OC himself... It just would seem at some point too many points of view can be a hindrance too... See: 2017 with Norv and Shurmur that quickly escalated to one stepping aside because of differences in philosophy.
Post #: 3310
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2019 7:53:26 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

nm

I like his use of "Ummm,...".

I gave him 36 hours, so was pretty dang close!
Post #: 3311
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2019 7:59:41 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Nice try.

Nepotism runs amuk. True thing, I read an article about the chain gang. It's basically unmanaged. They work at the same stadium. It's full of relatives and friends of the designated leader (I guess the elder). They are I think four person teams: two on the chains, one who flips the downs, and one spotter.

Since they are local, I presume most are fans of the home team. Seems easy enough to fudge a few inches here and there. And it's a game of inches.
Post #: 3312
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2019 8:01:19 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

nm

What the hell are you talking about Bill?

So Im not allowed to even mention our QB in any capacity without scrutiny from the crowd here that feels speaking poorly of said man is akin to taking the lords name in vain....

You guys just love being right and calling others out...

I hate censorship and blow hards...

So we both can agree on plenty and both be right in end...

Happy place :)
Post #: 3313
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2019 8:03:41 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Yes it's a passing league, but whatever happened to the blocking FB? We need a good one. Not 10% of the roster like we had with H-backs, and FBs, and Z-backs under Tice, but a Tony Richardson type who can block like hell but also offer versatility.
Post #: 3314
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2019 8:05:34 PM  1 votes
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

nm

So Im not allowed to even mention our QB in any capacity without scrutiny from the crowd here that feels speaking poorly of said man is akin to taking the lords name in vain....

Ah, we can see right through you.

Increased meds or not, I give you 30 hours after this latest episode.
Post #: 3315
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2019 8:14:45 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

nm

Ah, we can see right through you.

Increased meds or not, I give you 30 hours after this latest episode.

Rated your post a solid 2 Bill, Thank you so much for you vote of confidence in my ability to stay rational with the likes of company on this board...

Well at least I can have solace that Marty has my back on most issues and opinions I post...
Post #: 3316
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2019 9:58:12 PM  1 votes
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nice try.

AND My Gawd you have a absolute hard on for proving me wrong, discrediting me and just rubbing my nose in whatever...

Appreciate your passion though... And usually not at all tough to find flaws in anything I post here...

I was strictly talking coaching and if you want to elevate BB that high over the D mind of Zimm you have every right... It was just a example of what the most successful NFL team model does in comparison to our current model of coaching hires...

My whole point was not to say we need to be NE in structure, but more so posing the question of how many assistant and quality control hires do you need per position coach, not to mention OC himself... It just would seem at some point too many points of view can be a hindrance too... See: 2017 with Norv and Shurmur that quickly escalated to one stepping aside because of differences in philosophy.

Yes it is a little fun ... and awfully easy ... but not boner-inducing.

I've responded to some of your posts lately because your toxicity has helped fill the news void.

Time to move on.
Post #: 3317
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/23/2019 4:25:29 PM   
Viking Rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Unified Offensive Vision

I used to love the bit Dan Barreiro did on his show "Great Moments in a Kick Ass Offense".

The Vikings line up with a single set back. Ponder steps in over center and now there are flags all over the place as everyone was moving ...

I've never heard of that, but I'll bet it was hilarious

Thanks for the good laugh

Give Chandler the Rock
Post #: 3318
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/23/2019 5:48:20 PM   
Pager

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019/02/how-much-would-a-star-no-3-receiver-impact-the-vikings-offense/

Interesting article, couple of my takeaways:

We did not take advantage of our RB's receiving skills
Defenses do not fear anyone other than Diggs/Thielan - we need upgrades at WR3 and TE
Cousins needs to be more aggressive, give them additional chances

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 3319
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/23/2019 8:02:55 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019/02/how-much-would-a-star-no-3-receiver-impact-the-vikings-offense/

Defenses do not fear anyone other than Diggs/Thielan - we need upgrades at WR3 and TE

A third receiver would be great. Tread is not the answer at all. We need someone who can line up in the slot and run quick routes. Maybe Robinson is that guy?
Post #: 3320
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/23/2019 8:26:14 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Unified Offensive Vision

I've never heard of that, but I'll bet it was hilarious

Thanks for the good laugh

I can't remember who did it but I also enjoyed the guy on twitter who, on Mondays, would tweet still pics of the action on Vikings' third-downs when the QB released the ball and all eligible receivers were behind the line of gain with their backs to the endzone.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 3321
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/23/2019 8:28:21 PM   
David F.

quote:

This post and the linked article are spot on. What makes it so frustrating (typical Viking fan frustration at that) is that you could copy/paste this post into 02/23/2018 and it would be just as correct and obvious. Putting Treadwell on the field in 2018 was as good as the coaches saying F it - we just won't go to the playoffs this season.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 3322
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/24/2019 6:53:21 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

This post and the linked article are spot on. What makes it so frustrating (typical Viking fan frustration at that) is that you could copy/paste this post into 02/23/2018 and it would be just as correct and obvious. Putting Treadwell on the field in 2018 was as good as the coaches saying F it - we just won't go to the playoffs this season.

Coaches and GM. Jarius Wright never looked overmatched the way Treadwell has. He had good speed, a knack for getting open on 3rd down, and good hands. It makes one wonder about the Vikings ability to evaluate wide receiver talent and/or how they weigh in where they drafted a player. Two home runs with Thielan and Diggs and one fail with Treadwell.
Post #: 3323
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/24/2019 8:52:13 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

A third receiver would be great. Tread is not the answer at all. We need someone who can line up in the slot and run quick routes. Maybe Robinson is that guy?

Beebe looked good in that role before he got hurt. His durability is a big question to me. To be fair to him, I don't know his injury history but he's small so that raises questions for me. That role is critical though.

As far as defenses not fearing anyone, why bother? We gave Cousins about 1.5 seconds before someone was on his ass so cover both Diggs/AT, and by the time Cousins even had a chance to look for #3, it was over.

It was 1 game but (and I forget the game) the game Beebe was featured in the first quarter he was tearing them up. Our gameplan looked like we knew #1 and #2 were going to be covered so just concentrate on Beebe until they loosened up. I actually had a lot of hope for the O after that game. It disappeared quickly after....
Post #: 3324
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/24/2019 9:03:14 AM   
Bill Jandro

Beebe is a player and certainly would be a very good slot wr provided he can stay healthy.

I don't mind Robinson provided he is the 4th wr. He has deep speed and proved he can catch the deep ball.

Not sure why we got rid of Jarius he was very good when put on the field.

Coley had promise but had a drop and gets cut. Meanwhile Treadwell had 5 drops.

No doubt we need to take a wr at some point. TE class is 5 deep.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3325
Page:   <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode