Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  152 153 [154] 155 156   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/17/2019 9:13:32 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

#Vikings are one of the few teams that are constantly negotiating in good faith with their players. That's culture building. Players know if the ball, they'll be taken care of. Reason why so many of their in-house players are able to be retained at less than market.

(Andy Carlson on Twitter)

I would rather do what the Patriots do.
Post #: 3826
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/17/2019 9:32:42 AM   
Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

#Vikings are one of the few teams that are constantly negotiating in good faith with their players. That's culture building. Players know if the ball, they'll be taken care of. Reason why so many of their in-house players are able to be retained at less than market.

Everyone would, yet there is no template, otherwise everyone would.

Why do people constantly bring this up like, any team could be successful if they just copied the Patriots, not that simple.

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 3827
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/17/2019 9:36:05 AM   
Murph

quote:

quote:

The Patriots don't normally use high draft picks on offensive line, should we copy them and wait until the later rounds to address that need?

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 3828
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/17/2019 12:23:45 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

quote:

quote:

Why do people constantly bring this up like, any team could be successful if they just copied the Patriots, not that simple.

They talked about this last week on Sirius NFL. The consensus answer was 'you'd be surprised how many DON'T pay attention to new trends. Owners and coaches are pretty damn sure of themselves.' They also discussed how hard it is to replicate a system that has been entrenched for so long. They pointed out Josh McDaniel's and Matt Patricia's struggles to bring success to other teams. So - in a nutshell - some owners/coaches still think they know better and teams that do try to emulate the Patriot's system will take many seasons to see results and in the meantime the coach will possibly get fired.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 3829
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/17/2019 12:28:20 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Patriots don't normally use high draft picks on offensive line, should we copy them and wait until the later rounds to address that need?

They're able to do that because they're not stupid enough to put themselves in the position of having to draft for positional need.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 3830
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/17/2019 12:48:13 PM   
Steve Lentz

The Patriots have Brady.
Huge talent and been there a long time.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 3831
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/17/2019 12:59:45 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

They're able to do that because they're not stupid enough to put themselves in the position of having to draft for positional need.

Actually, the Patriots do draft OL early ... in the last 10 years, they have taken 5 OL in the first 3 rds. (2 first rd picks), and another 5 in rd. 4. (and another 7 rds 5-7)

In other words, they draft OL out the yin yang, they have the best OL Coach in the game (for 33 out of the last 35 years – Scarnecchia), and QB that is not bad at getting rid of the ball.

So yes, our regime has failed to stock the team with enough OL talent to copy the Pats OL standard... that's a big fail ...

But honestly, you can't copy any of the Pats success without cloning Scarnecchia, Brady, and Belichick ... since they have proven all else are interchangeable parts.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 4/17/2019 1:01:58 PM >
Post #: 3832
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/17/2019 1:16:25 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Actually, the Patriots do draft OL early ... in the last 10 years, they have taken 5 OL in the first 3 rds. (2 first rd picks), and another 5 in rd. 4. (and another 7 rds 5-7)

In other words, they draft OL out the yin yang, they have the best OL Coach in the game (for 33 out of the last 35 years – Scarnecchia), and QB that is not bad at getting rid of the ball.

So yes, our regime has failed to stock the team with enough OL talent to copy the Pats OL standard... that's a big fail ...

But honestly, you can't copy any of the Pats success without cloning Scarnecchia, Brady, and Belichick ... since they have proven all else are interchangeable parts.

They know that they have to protect Brady. When they haven't, the Dwight Freeney and Von Miller types have kept them out of the SB.

That is why we need to go OLine in 2 of 3 top picks. Cousins is night and day when he has protection and when he doesn't.
Post #: 3833
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/17/2019 1:42:25 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why bring up little things the Vikings do better than everybody else if it doesn't product results? One playoff in (largely based on luck) in about 10 years tells me its about time to clean house. Speilman has had his chance, Zimmer for that matter also.

If this season doesn't product at least one playoff win I will be very interested in seeing if anybody (Speilman) is held accountable or if the Vikings are entering the "Country Club" years.

I really don't care about the "little things" that don't add up to jack chit.

Just win.
Post #: 3834
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/17/2019 2:27:19 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why bring up little things the Vikings do better than everybody else if it doesn't product results? One playoff in (largely based on luck) in about 10 years tells me its about time to clean house. Speilman has had his chance, Zimmer for that matter also.

If this season doesn't product at least one playoff win I will be very interested in seeing if anybody (Speilman) is held accountable or if the Vikings are entering the "Country Club" years.

Just win.

Why ONLY complain about what is wrong?

Nobody in here is satisfied with anything less than a SB win ... NOBODY.

But only being critical is JUST bitching and moaning. It doesn't change anything, not the outcome of games, not people's minds.

It doesn't add anything to any debate.
Post #: 3835
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/17/2019 3:45:37 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Andy Carlson on Twitter suggests that there is a 55% chance Waynes gets traded by the time of the draft. I don't think so, but what do you think?

Nothing like made up, yet safe, percentages
Post #: 3836
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/17/2019 3:55:46 PM   
Tom Sykes

There’s a 62% chance that nobody wants to hear me bitching and moaning about bitching and moaning.
Post #: 3837
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/17/2019 4:13:04 PM   
Ragnarök

UPDATE #1: Rumors are circulating that the Vikings will open the regular season at home against the Atlanta Falcons. Nothing official on that yet.

UPDATE #2: NorthJersey.com is reporting that the Vikings will face the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium in Week 5.

UPDATE #3: Vikings at Packers Week 2 again according to Tom Silverstein:

Tom Silverstein

@TomSilverstein
#Packers play #Vikings at home Sept. 15 and #Lions at home Oct.14 (MNF), according to a source.

UPDATE #4: Windy City Gridiron is linking to the entire Bears schedule, which includes Vikings at Bears Week 4. And...wait for it...Bears at Vikings Week 17 yet again.
Post #: 3838
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/17/2019 4:42:44 PM   
Murph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, didn't look it up. I knew they drafted Solder in the 1st. , no longer with them. Wonder what their current line make up is? How many 1st rounders etc..

My the point I was initially trying to make, was that trying to copy everything the Patriots do without Belechick and Brady is futile and won't work so why even talk about it?

It's not just Viking fans either. Just a pet peeve.

Even their ex coaches who try to bring the Patriot way to their new team haven't found much sucess yet..

Post #: 3839
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/17/2019 5:12:20 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, didn't look it up. I knew they drafted Solder in the 1st. , no longer with them. Wonder what their current line make up is? How many 1st rounders etc..

My the point I was initially trying to make, was that trying to copy everything the Patriots do without Belechick and Brady is futile and won't work so why even talk about it?

It's not just Viking fans either. Just a pet peeve.

Even their ex coaches who try to bring the Patriot way to their new team haven't found much sucess yet..

I do agree with you. I looked up the final 4 teams from last year and they all have a mix of drafted, fa, and an undrafted player or two on their Olines. I looked up the Pats to corroborate what you were saying ... very surprised by how many OL they draft.
Post #: 3840
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/17/2019 5:19:09 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just win.

But only being critical is JUST bitching and moaning. It doesn't change anything, not the outcome of games, not people's minds.

Because the window to win was last year this year and next. They are not building, this is it.

No excuses. No sugar coating.

Win or door.

Post #: 3841
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/17/2019 6:59:07 PM   
David Levine

Andrew Krammer@Andrew_Krammer
10m10 minutes ago

#Vikings 2019 schedule:

9/8 v ATL
9/15 @ GB
9/22 v OAK
9/29 @ CHI (3:25pm)
10/6 @ NYG
10/13 v PHI
10/20 @ DET
10/24 v WAS (TNF)
11/3 @ KC
11/10 @ DAL (SNF)
11/17 v DEN
11/24 BYE
12/2 @ SEA (MNF)
12/8 v DET
12/15 @ LAC (SNF)
12/23 v GB (MNF)
12/29 v CHI
Post #: 3842
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/17/2019 7:33:19 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Lots of national games. Vikings are a blue chip team.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3843
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/17/2019 9:40:28 PM   
Viking Rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Andrew Krammer@Andrew_Krammer
10m10 minutes ago

#Vikings 2019 schedule:

9/8 v ATL
9/15 @ GB
9/22 v OAK
9/29 @ CHI (3:25pm)
10/6 @ NYG
10/13 v PHI
10/20 @ DET
10/24 v WAS (TNF)
11/3 @ KC
11/10 @ DAL (SNF)
11/17 v DEN
11/24 BYE
12/2 @ SEA (MNF)
12/8 v DET
12/15 @ LAC (SNF)
12/23 v GB (MNF)
12/29 v CHI

This evening I bought my tickets for the Dallas game.

Give Chandler the Rock
Post #: 3844
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/17/2019 10:20:19 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just win.

Because the window to win was last year this year and next. They are not building, this is it.

No excuses. No sugar coating.

Win or door.

3 year window. Win or door. That's a perfectly legitimate point of view.

But has nothing to do with my point.

That's ok. Moving on ...
Post #: 3845
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/18/2019 12:09:47 AM   
Ragnarök

Consider this about sched...

Playing 5, possibly 6 w/ flex National games

Playing 9 teams with a winning record 2018

Playing 7 games against teams that made play offs 2018

Playing 5 games on road against 2018 play off teams

Predictions on W/L ?
Post #: 3846
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/18/2019 12:42:41 AM   
McMurfy

I say 9-7.

Hope I’m wrong.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 3847
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/18/2019 12:50:30 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Self deleted.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 4/18/2019 12:52:08 AM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3848
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/18/2019 12:51:11 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

Its a plus that they don't have to travel for their Thursday night game. Also having their bye week later should be helpful for their stretch run (some of the key games) and hopefully into the playoffs. I don't really see any negatives. We already knew who we were going to play.

Post #: 3849
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/18/2019 1:25:33 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

Consider this about sched...

Playing 5, possibly 6 w/ flex National games

Playing 9 teams with a winning record 2018

Playing 7 games against teams that made play offs 2018

Playing 5 games on road against 2018 play off teams

Predictions on W/L ?

Impossible to say how many teams we will face that will end up with a winning record but here's a not-so-comforting fact. In 80 games under Mike Zimmer we have 47 wins. Only 13 of those wins came against teams that finished the season .500 or better.

Post #: 3850
Page:   <<   < prev  152 153 [154] 155 156   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  152 153 [154] 155 156   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode