Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  181 182 [183] 184 185   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2019 10:30:39 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

It looks like the Vikings want to keep Rudolph and are trying to make the numbers work. I don't begrudge a guy who believes in himself by taking a strong stand in his contract negotiations and I do appreciate his contributions on and off the field in the past. Being a Red Zone threat makes him a valuable player. If I saw him in another uniform I do believe I would be sad. That's why I reacted a bit emotionally when he refused to compromise. I do want the best possible team on the field because I'm a Vikings fan and they have a chance this year to be Super. Also, it is a valid point that tight ends usually take some time to develop. So you can see that I am listening to both sides of this issue. Just, I have decided that blocking is more important than being a pass catcher for a tight end and is a reason to play Rudolph less than in the past. That's why I think of him as a backup, now. I'm just a fan and don't know Rudolph as well as the Vikings staff does, so I have to acknowledge that I very well could be on the wrong side of this issue. Again, it does appear that the Vikings are patiently and persistently trying to make the numbers work.

It's Kyle Rudolph's illusions I recall, I really don't know Kyle Rudolph at all.

https://youtu.be/8L1UngfqojI

Oh the memories.. The Purple People Eaters were just coming into their own when this one hit the charts..

Try this version Kurt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob0mYdbFjdU

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4551
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2019 10:31:16 AM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

It looks like the Vikings want to keep Rudolph and are trying to make the numbers work.

Other than an unnamed source from idiot Florio and his crack team of ace reporters working without spell check, do we have anything that supports this?

I have not seen any other reports to confirm.

They would have to ridiculously far apart on guaranteed money or something for this not to be completed by now. Kyle turning down a 4 for 28 extension would be insane.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 4552
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2019 10:34:35 AM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Hilarious.

From a guy that has proclaimed a 7th rounder will not only make the team but instantly produce as our 3rd WR. Based on his college production. BUT ignores the college production of our 2nd rounder.

Classic KG.

Da

BOOM!

we haven't seen it yet, but i have already bought into a vikings' base offense as 12 personnel...smith will be our new wr#3 from the tight end position...dennison and kubiak designing our new mobile zone o-line - cook shooting through the creases and mattison carrying defenders a couple of yards after contact...rudolph's length/catching radius and smith's quickness - diggs and thielen....

cousins is going to have to work on his rollout passing to the left more so we're less predictable....

Rams are the mistros of the 11 personnel. We the 12.

BTW I love McVay as a coach. He used 12 a lot in Washington with Cousins. Gets to LA, sees the talent, and switches to the 11. Some 90% of the snaps from that group on offense.

Post #: 4553
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2019 10:45:41 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

It looks like the Vikings want to keep Rudolph and are trying to make the numbers work. I don't begrudge a guy who believes in himself by taking a strong stand in his contract negotiations and I do appreciate his contributions on and off the field in the past. Being a Red Zone threat makes him a valuable player. If I saw him in another uniform I do believe I would be sad. That's why I reacted a bit emotionally when he refused to compromise. I do want the best possible team on the field because I'm a Vikings fan and they have a chance this year to be Super. Also, it is a valid point that tight ends usually take some time to develop. So you can see that I am listening to both sides of this issue. Just, I have decided that blocking is more important than being a pass catcher for a tight end and is a reason to play Rudolph less than in the past. That's why I think of him as a backup, now. I'm just a fan and don't know Rudolph as well as the Vikings staff does, so I have to acknowledge that I very well could be on the wrong side of this issue. Again, it does appear that the Vikings are patiently and persistently trying to make the numbers work.

It's Kyle Rudolph's illusions I recall, I really don't know Kyle Rudolph at all.

Oh the memories.. The Purple People Eaters were just coming into their own when this one hit the charts..

Try this version Kurt.

A nice song. Not really fit for these boards.
Post #: 4554
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2019 10:52:38 AM   
kgdabom

It's from PFF so needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt, but it's exciting.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-a-healthy-dalvin-cook-is-a-dark-horse-for-top-running-back-honors-in-the-nfl

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4555
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2019 10:59:24 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Try this version Kurt.

A nice song. Not really fit for these boards.

Why not? Not enough raping and pillaging for Vikings?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4556
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2019 11:00:28 AM   
jbusse

quote:

It's from PFF so needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt, but it's exciting.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-a-healthy-dalvin-cook-is-a-dark-horse-for-top-running-back-honors-in-the-nfl

Cook is primed for a big year, as long as the tight end can sustain his blocks.
Post #: 4557
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2019 11:07:16 AM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Worth a read

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/5/18/18623742/vikings-kirk-cousins-all-stats-but-nothing-super

Starts out as a pretty damning article on Cousins failures but then goes on with some conclusive data as to why and how this could be rectified.

For example, Cousins numbers are identical to Brady's. Only Brady had a top ten rushing attack.

Sea is a good example. piss poor oline and running game equals missing the playoffs. They reconstructed their oline and had the #1 rushing attack last season and are back in the playoffs.

As much as this is a passing league a top ten defense and a top ten rushing attack are still the staple to success.

Yep, good read. I posted this about a year ago. Makes total sense. Very few QBs can elevate a team with poor defense and/or poor run game:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/3/14/17118758/how-come-marksp18-and-wludford-arent-talking-about-cousins-qbfes?&_ga=2.153144573.412205890.1547487464-852294905.1546552709#467705925

I think we had a score of 34 last year.

Post #: 4558
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2019 11:08:30 AM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

Cook is primed for a big year, as long as the tight end can sustain his blocks.

Post #: 4559
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2019 12:08:53 PM   
JT2

quote:

Worth a read

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/5/18/18623742/vikings-kirk-cousins-all-stats-but-nothing-super

Starts out as a pretty damning article on Cousins failures but then goes on with some conclusive data as to why and how this could be rectified.

For example, Cousins numbers are identical to Brady's. Only Brady had a top ten rushing attack.

Sea is a good example. piss poor oline and running game equals missing the playoffs. They reconstructed their oline and had the #1 rushing attack last season and are back in the playoffs.

As much as this is a passing league a top ten defense and a top ten rushing attack are still the staple to success.

Judging and ranking a running game only on total yards is misleading.

Patriots did rush for TD's well, but their average per carry was below average.

Again, teams with leads, especially big leads, run more. Doesn't mean they ran their way to success, in fact, quite often it's the opposite.
Post #: 4560
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2019 12:41:15 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

Worth a read

Judging and ranking a running game only on total yards is misleading.

Patriots did rush for TD's well, but their average per carry was below average.

Again, teams with leads, especially big leads, run more. Doesn't mean they ran their way to success, in fact, quite often it's the opposite.

Certainly the two are correlated

Are ypc were not real good in 2017. I believe we led the NFL in rushing attempts. We did usually have a lead so your point is well taken.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 4561
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2019 2:12:06 PM   
marty

That was one of the 2 contentions I had with article posted, the success of the run game, amount of yardage especially, goes up with quarterbacking that gets early leads or converts on 3rd down.

The quarterback that converts 3rd downs and gets early leads, also leads to the defensive rankings being better.

And Cousin's higher QB ranking in the 4th quarter is not impressive, if it doesn't lead to wins. If you're behind by 2 TDs, the defense gives you prevent for the 1st one, easy TD. Then the next drive, you get a bunch of yardage, but the defense tightens so you don't score and tie the game, your team loses by 7.

So, in that case, your 4th QB ranking looks great as you got a TD and tons of yardage, but your team lost. And this also ignores that you sucked the 1st 3 quarters. And it doesn't look like the run game supported you in the 4th quarter, as you did almost all passing, because you were behind. Behind because: QB sucked the 1st 3 quarters.

< Message edited by marty -- 5/19/2019 2:16:01 PM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 4562
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2019 2:15:17 PM  1 votes
David F.

Winning teams run. Running teams don’t win.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 4563
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2019 2:40:53 PM   
Bill Jandro

Maybe I'm just old school.

But I really enjoy watching an oline manhandle the defense and simply run the ball down their throat.

Unfortunately, haven't seen that out of our oline since maybe 2012.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 4564
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2019 2:56:30 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

That was one of the 2 contentions I had with article posted, the success of the run game, amount of yardage especially, goes up with quarterbacking that gets early leads or converts on 3rd down.

The quarterback that converts 3rd downs and gets early leads, also leads to the defensive rankings being better.

And Cousin's higher QB ranking in the 4th quarter is not impressive, if it doesn't lead to wins. If you're behind by 2 TDs, the defense gives you prevent for the 1st one, easy TD. Then the next drive, you get a bunch of yardage, but the defense tightens so you don't score and tie the game, your team loses by 7.

So, in that case, your 4th QB ranking looks great as you got a TD and tons of yardage, but your team lost. And this also ignores that you sucked the 1st 3 quarters. And it doesn't look like the run game supported you in the 4th quarter, as you did almost all passing, because you were behind. Behind because: QB sucked the 1st 3 quarters.

Way, way, way overthinking this one. Usually when the opponents knows that you have to pass in the fourth if that is the case they kick your butt. Interceptions and sacks go way up. Also who said that he was sucking the first three quarters. He wasn't. With your Sloter obsession you're going to dismiss anything favorable to Cousins.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/19/2019 3:08:37 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4565
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2019 11:01:35 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

But I really enjoy watching an oline manhandle the defense and simply run the ball down their throat.

Yeah it gets really old listening to all these metrosexual passing league types.

Poodles.
Post #: 4566
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2019 11:09:12 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Winning teams run. Running teams don’t win.

Winning teams run. Teams that run the most and pass the most (ie, are one dimensional on either side) don’t win.
Post #: 4567
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2019 11:15:54 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

Yeah it gets really old listening to all these metrosexual passing league types.

Poodles.

And

Post #: 4568
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2019 11:24:04 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

Poodles.

And

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=so7T8slVLSc

“make it mariachi” is my new tagline.
Post #: 4569
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2019 2:28:52 PM   
SoMnFan

Barnwell's Off-season Yet-To-Do list for each team …

Minnesota Vikings
Replace Laquon Treadwell. The fifth-year option pickups for players such as Jared Goff and Carson Wentz were about as certain as any NFL decision worthy of a press release. On the other end of the spectrum, the Vikings' decision to decline Treadwell's fifth-year option after three disappointing seasons was similarly obvious. The former Ole Miss star is hardly a lock to make the 53-man roster in Minnesota.
The Vikings, of course, don't need a starting wideout. They have the best one-two punch in football with Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen, each of whom are locked in for the long term. After those two, well, things get scary. There's Chad Beebe, who could take some slot targets in 2019. The Vikings used seventh-round picks on Dillon Mitchell and Olabisi Johnson, but there's nothing more than hope in the cupboard. It's also worth noting that Diggs hasn't completed a single 16-game season as a pro, even if you figure that the Vikings will use more 12 personnel after drafting Irv Smith Jr. in the second round.

Minnesota could very well look toward Pierre Garcon or someone like Michael Crabtree in free agency. Trade candidates also could make sense. Bennie Fowler is buried on the Giants' depth chart and played under Vikings offensive adviser Gary Kubiak in Denver, although Fowler might not be much of an upgrade over Treadwell. A post-hype option like Keelan Cole, who impressed in his rookie season before struggling and losing his starting job with the Jaguars last season, also could make sense for a sixth- or seventh-round pick.
Post #: 4570
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2019 5:04:15 PM   
Bruce Johnson

If our team wants to do more play action, they will have to get better at running the ball or opposing defenses will overplay the pass.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 4571
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2019 5:13:54 PM   
Bruce Johnson

https://www.vikings.com/news/6-intriguing-things-as-vikings-approach-ota-practices

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 4572
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2019 6:53:48 PM   
thebigo

quote:

If our team wants to do more play action, they will have to get better at running the ball or opposing defenses will overplay the pass.

I think that's the plan.
Post #: 4573
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2019 7:00:54 PM   
marty

.... With your Sloter obsession you're going to dismiss anything favorable to Cousins.

Not true, I am actually kidding about Sloter, and expect he will soon have some poor preseason games, regression to the mean, and playing against 2nd stringers instead of 3rd stringers.

Cousins has done ok at times, has nice accuracy, and can throw it far. I just want him to play better against strong opponents, I want him to be clutch. I loved his play at Philly last year, I want more of that, early leads and put teams away.

I do realize it will take many other positions stepping it up, not just the Captain.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 4574
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/20/2019 7:04:55 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

.... With your Sloter obsession you're going to dismiss anything favorable to Cousins.

Not true, I am actually kidding about Sloter, and expect he will soon have some poor preseason games, regression to the mean, and playing against 2nd stringers instead of 3rd stringers.

Cousins has done ok at times, has nice accuracy, and can throw it far. I just want him to play better against strong opponents, I want him to be clutch. I loved his play at Philly last year, I want more of that, early leads and put teams away.

I do realize it will take many other positions stepping it up, not just the Captain.

I really thought you were serious, but I'll take you at your word that you were joking.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4575
Page:   <<   < prev  181 182 [183] 184 185   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  181 182 [183] 184 185   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode