Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  184 185 [186] 187 188   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 2:38:07 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Don Banks writes on the subject of the new rules for appeals to pass interference.

https://www.patriots.com/news/banks-nfl-more-than-tweaked-new-replay-review-rules

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 4626
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 2:43:43 PM   
Bruce Johnson

The #Vikings also are intrigued with newly signed wide receiver Jordan Taylor as a possible punt returner to replace the departed Marcus Sherels. For Denver in 2017, Taylor returned 11 punts for 103 yards and a 9.4 average. He was practicing punts along with Chad Beebe today.

(Chris Tomasson on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 4627
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 2:45:52 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Kyle Rudolph confirmed contract re-negotiation talks are taking place in Minnesota and the 5-year deal @ProFootballTalk reported he was offered is something his agent and the Vikings are working on, but said "plenty" of other teams are also interested.

(Courtney Cronin on Twitter)

Post #: 4628
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 2:49:30 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Xavier Rhodes on Mike Zimmer critical comments on him in March "Me and him spoke on that..We had a bad year as a whole team so everybody was messing up ..I was one of those guys being a leader on the team, not making as many plays as I did in previous years...There were mistakes"

(Chris Tomasson on Twitter)

Post #: 4629
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 2:50:54 PM   
Bruce Johnson

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/5/22/18635966/minnesota-vikings-offensive-line-garrett-bradbury-center-pat-elflein

Post #: 4630
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 2:53:50 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Just tidbits of information, but it's all we've got. It's not training camp.

https://www.vikings.com/news/3-observations-from-initial-otas-viking-unveil-new-look-offensive-line

Post #: 4631
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 3:21:57 PM   
Tom Sykes

nm
Post #: 4632
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 3:45:49 PM   
Todd M

quote:

Ben Goessling@GoesslingStrib
Say the Vikings gave Kyle Rudolph a league-minimum $930K base salary in 2019, converted the remaining $6.345M of his salary to a signing bonus and kept his bonuses ($250K roster, $100K workout) intact. Same amount of cash for Rudolph, with ~$5M in cap saving for Vikings.

?
Post #: 4633
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 4:32:30 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Any interest in McCoy?

Should the Vikings figure out a way to sign Gerald McCoy? https://thevikingage.com/2019/05/22/should-minnesota-vikings-sign-mccoy/

Sure, just cut Rudolph and sign McCoy.

That oughta touch off another 26 pages of Rudolph arguments.

Obviously, the key McCoy issue is how many projectile vomit first downs barf he prevented. Nevermind schemes, opponents, down/distances, his 10 teammates, tendencies, etc.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 5/22/2019 4:38:30 PM >
Post #: 4634
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 4:47:06 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Once the end of the 2020 season rolls around, I hope we can look back on a SB win. If it's as ugly cap/roster wise as it appears, that would be the saving grace. Also hope they blow things up rapidly rather than try to hold on while living through 5-11 seasons. Getting 4-5 eventual solid starters out of this past draft will go a long ways to jump-starting a rebuild.

First things first, we have a very good roster for 2019 and ideally a 'time to prove it' mentality.
Post #: 4635
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 6:16:40 PM   
GopherFan34

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Once the end of the 2020 season rolls around, I hope we can look back on a SB win. If it's as ugly cap/roster wise as it appears, that would be the saving grace. Also hope they blow things up rapidly rather than try to hold on while living through 5-11 seasons. Getting 4-5 eventual solid starters out of this past draft will go a long ways to jump-starting a rebuild.

First things first, we have a very good roster for 2019 and ideally a 'time to prove it' mentality.

Cousin's is the key, lots of pressure on him. Any major injuries to our receivers and look out. We need a healthy season.
Post #: 4636
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 6:40:51 PM   
Pager

Looks like Collins is getting PT at Tackle. Thought they might let him push for the LG spot.

Crazy early.

I like him at Tackle. Specifically RT, moving ONeil over to LT (eventually).

Hopefully he impresses enough that Hill and his 2M salary become expendable (trade-bait).

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 4637
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 6:57:27 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

Any interest in McCoy?

Should the Vikings figure out a way to sign Gerald McCoy? https://thevikingage.com/2019/05/22/should-minnesota-vikings-sign-mccoy/

Sure, just cut Rudolph and sign McCoy.

That oughta touch off another 26 pages of Rudolph arguments.

Obviously, the key McCoy issue is how many projectile vomit first downs barf he prevented. Nevermind schemes, opponents, down/distances, his 10 teammates, tendencies, etc.

LOL

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 4638
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 7:16:08 PM   
odin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Last Word Troll

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

Community college elite logic = I'll never admit I'm wrong and/or I'll never let go of this bone

I've committed one crime vs I've committed ten crimes without context: ten crimes is worse. If the one crime is murder and the ten crimes are shoplifting: one crime is worse. Injecting detail when there's none = nonsense.

Original point: "To me 63-625 is more impressive than 50-600". That is all. There is no underlying detail. 599 of the 600 yards were not on one catch. The 63 did not yield more first downs than the 50 because THERE WERE NO ACTUAL CATCHES IN THIS COMPARISON.

This is about one poster getting his needs met (?) by manifesting online; it is not even about the relative merits of Kyle Rudolph at his current salary cap figure.

Thanks for the sanity check. I thought when I posted some actual numbers from TEs that it would show the variability in first downs.

I should have known better.

You should have.

He's the guy who tries to be right while seeking strokes and ends up the laughingstock, but at least he is our franchise laughingstock.

Still, I'd trade him for a different laughingstock plus a laughingstock to be named later.

Whatever. I had to read the post again to figure out what the hell you were talking about. I noticed the same 12 yard average on 50 for 600, but it's obvious he just threw out 50 receptions as a minimum expectation. Talk about twisting things and being DISHONEST DF. A lie is the intent to decieve and it certainly looks like your intent was to deceive. Your post makes me angry. I expect better from you.

Whatever. The OP was not lacking in either research or honesty. YOU WERE TRYING TO TWIST THINGS. The OP never said anything about 12 YPR. he just threw out some numbers for this year. should have said 60-600 so people like you wouldn't twist his meaning.

I could be wrong but I don't think you are this clueless. Were any of the stats or contract numbers posted wrong? You in letting your anti-Rudy bias cloud your judgment took a simple 50-600 hypothetical numbers for this season and Twisted it into making a false and ridiculous clain against the OP who did some very good research and was not dishonest in any way whatsoever. Now you are trying very unsuccessfully to save face. Cut your losses DF.

Show me one stat the OP posted that was wrong. The 50-600 was just a hypothetical. DF tried to twist the OP's words to discredit him in an attempt to win the RUDY war. I'm calling him out for it. CV Boot doesn't even post here and DF's attack on his character is completely wrong and uncalled for. Nobody at Daily Norseman had a problem with either his research or integrity.

Pager you make a good point but DF didn't. In defense of the OP on the 7 million thing is IIRC his base salary this year is 7.25 million and that would be somewhat reasonable to round down to 7, but better if he didn't. You found a flaw DF fabricated one.
EDIT: LMAO. I just looked it up and you and I were both wrong Pager. Rudy's base salary is $7.275 not 7.25 and total compensation for this season is $7.625 not 7.65. Close enough an honest mistake.

The value is to show how Rudy is fairly compensated according to the market and possibly a bargain. It seems that on Talk Vikes familiarity is breeding contempt as we don't appreciate him IMO like we should.

The $7.625 just shows that you were wrong like 7.275 shows I was wrong. I'm sure both of us had
good intentions. In general we should give people the benefit of the doubt. I feel DF's post was in bad faith using a cheap trick to try to win rather than honest discussion.

Good summary as well. To me 63-625 is more impressive than 50-600. I prefer the 13 additional catches at 9.9 YPR compared to less at 12.
I still believe DF acted in bad faith.

DF didn't even say anything about 50-600 which were not looked up. They were just hypothetical numbers presented that actually diminished what Rudy has been doing. The OP never said anything about Rudy getting 12 YPR. DF fabricated that. You have been fair. I don't get you supporting DF's BS but you like him better than me so I think that explains it.

Absolutely I attacked his character. He deserves it in this case. Absolutely DF attacked the OP's character either by calling him sloppy or dishonest. Neither was true based on the 12 YPR that the OP never stated. Pager pointed out how the OP did fudge his numbers rounding down on Rudy's contract. It wasn't needed as his arguments stand up just fine using the real numbers of 7.625.

Because the OP never said those were numbers that Rudy ever put up. DF FABRICATED that the OP CLAIMED Rudy got 12 YPR. DF was creating a straw man.

13 more catches at 10 rounded per catch is going to create about 7 more first downs. 63-625 is superior to 50-600.

OP never said that Rudy ever put up those numbers.

OK done discussing DF's trickery, cheap shotting or totally valid criticism. I felt he acted in very bad faith.

that's the average per catch. 10 yard receptions produce or lead to first downs most of the time. Some will be 15 some will be 5. reasonable guess 7 additional first downs. I think you are projecting those 12 additional catches adding up to the 25 yards. That isn't the way it works.

You're clearly not getting this. we aren't talking total yards we are talking yards per reception. 10*63 =630 not 730 you are correct. however it's 13 more plays at ten yards per play. about 7 more first downs.

63-625 averages 10 YPR. It only accumulates 25 additional yards but it's 13 more receptions at 10 YPR. Maybe this will help. Lets take average out. 50 catches of 12 YPC 600 YARDS. We fully agree on that right. 63 receptions at 10 YPR 630 YARDS right. 63-50 = 13 right? That makes 13 more plays of 10 yards, but only accumulating 30 additional total yards.

never said it did. IT'S 13 ADDITIONAL PLAYS of 10 yards each but you subtract the additional 2*50 from the total yards. I haven't been talking total yards here. I've been talking additional ten yard catches.

You are correct. That is not the argument. The argument is more plays at 10 ypc is better than less plays at 12 ypc. The 13 extra good plays more than makes up for less plays at a better average. You've heard of possession receivers right. Keep the chains moving. That's what I'm talking about. Yes REGIS, FINAL ANSWER.

The above dump of the last few pages of posts is in honor of Bill's previous "Pathology" compilation as a reminder of how the signal-to-noise ratio here gets seriously messed-up when it is assumed the intentionally (?) obtuse writer is sincere and leads to multiple unreadable pages. Bill's post link:

quote:

I've always wondered what pathological looks like. Ladies and gentlemen, I present Mr. Pathological (this is just one chapter of individual posts in an incessant series where he argues anything for negative strokes):

Classic!
Post #: 4639
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 8:29:17 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I have read a couple things about Elflein. First that he has been "working out in the weight room- not the training room" and how he has "gotten bigger". That sounds positive, to me, like he will be playing at guard and specifically left guard.

I'm not sure how left and right guard are different other than being on different sides. Certainly many backups practice at both positions. My sense is that you look for more power out of the RG and more agility out of the LG, but I might be wrong because doesn't the LG usually go against the nose tackle and the RG blocks the 3- technique? There are different defensive fronts, though, with 3/4 and 4/3 formations and in passing downs the tackles on the defense are more mobile. That must be one of the challenges of being a guard- that you have some diversity week to week and even within the game as to whom you are going up against. Obviously, this year the demands for the guards will be to move well laterally along the line in the outside zone scheme requiring some athleticism and good footwork.

Some of you who played on the line could perhaps elaborate more. I would appreciate it if you would and of course you could correct me if I am not seeing it correctly.

Post #: 4640
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 9:24:25 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

I have read a couple things about Elflein. First that he has been "working out in the weight room- not the training room" and how he has "gotten bigger". That sounds positive, to me, like he will be playing at guard and specifically left guard.

I'm not sure how left and right guard are different other than being on different sides. Certainly many backups practice at both positions. My sense is that you look for more power out of the RG and more agility out of the LG, but I might be wrong because doesn't the LG usually go against the nose tackle and the RG blocks the 3- technique? There are different defensive fronts, though, with 3/4 and 4/3 formations and in passing downs the tackles on the defense are more mobile. That must be one of the challenges of being a guard- that you have some diversity week to week and even within the game as to whom you are going up against. Obviously, this year the demands for the guards will be to move well laterally along the line in the outside zone scheme requiring some athleticism and good footwork.

Some of you who played on the line could perhaps elaborate more. I would appreciate it if you would and of course you could correct me if I am not seeing it correctly.

Hey Bruce, I'll take a stab at this. The biggest difference for the RT/LT guard is the footwork. For some guys it can be an issue, even at the pro level, and some guys have no problem with it. The sets are different, the dominant leg is opposite, setting the post in pass blocking is different, stuff like that. In the zone scheme that we will employ most often, there's not a big difference as far as going against one guy or another. The zone blocking scheme is more predicated on agility and the ability to wall off defenders, creating creases, momentary openings for the RB to get through. It's not a power scheme where pancakes are desired, moreover, it is a scheme based on levels of shielding. For the run game portion of our offense it appears our agility will be our strength. Elf can probably play RT guard is needed, but he's probably just more comfortable with the LT guard sets.

In pass blocking, you tend to operate one direction more than the other, in that I mean if you are on the left side, you tend to shuffle more to your left, with your right leg setting the post, the opposite is true for the other side. What we need to see from Elf is the base strength he was lacking the first couple of years in the NFL. This is not unusual for a young linemen, just a thing that needs to steadily improve. He had two injuries that he was rehabbing early last year and never really had a chance to develop in the weight room like we needed. What he needs is core strength, bend strength, hips legs, ass. This is where he will be able to set against guys much heavier than him. He's going to have to win with technique and speed, he wont overpower the bigger pass rushers. It can be done, but it's an art form.

There's more to it than what I have shared, but this is a light version.
Post #: 4641
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 10:00:18 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Thanks Dana. Sounds things are inverted when you move from left to right, but essentially they are pretty much asked to do the same things. In this blocking scheme it seems that there is a need for more coordination with each other. It doesn't help that the players can not practice with pads during the OTA's, but I bet they are really focusing on fundamentals like getting off the line quickly on the snap count and learning the plays and responsibilities in the new scheme.

Besides that, I bet a lot of the players are working hard to get stronger. A good example of that must be Elflein, but also Samia and O'Neil, in particular. There must be a science to that where they push themselves, but not too much as to get hurt. Also, they want to get stronger without losing flexibility, especially in this scheme where footwork is so critical.

Post #: 4642
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/22/2019 10:12:44 PM   
Bruce Johnson

This article is good because there are more details to the practice and how individual players seem to be doing.

http://vikingsterritory.com/2019/general-news/vikings-otas-roundup-return-of-rudy

Post #: 4643
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/23/2019 1:09:16 AM   
ratoppenheimer

the vikings should just ask rudolph to adjust his 2019 pay to create some cap space at no consequence to him and/or throw him a bone of $100k to do it - i believe that kendricks did it for free a couple of weeks ago...is there another player whose existing deal works well for a cap adjustment?....

we shouldn't deal with rudy's contract until next year...let him play it out and we'll see where we are next season, but definitely keep him on the team this season...i don't want to owe rudy anything after this year - we're going to need that cap space next year, too...sometimes you just have to stop dealing, and take a breath...there is just no good 'new deal' for us with rudy right now....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 5/23/2019 8:13:32 AM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 4644
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/23/2019 8:31:33 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Film analysis on Cameron Smith.

https://www.vikings.com/video/film-room-strength-and-smarts-help-cameron-smith-excel?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=exchange

Post #: 4645
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/23/2019 8:32:30 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

the vikings should just ask rudolph to adjust his 2019 pay to create some cap space at no consequence to him and/or throw him a bone of $100k to do it - i believe that kendricks did it for free a couple of weeks ago...is there another player whose existing deal works well for a cap adjustment?....

we shouldn't deal with rudy's contract until next year...let him play it out and we'll see where we are next season, but definitely keep him on the team this season...i don't want to owe rudy anything after this year - we're going to need that cap space next year, too...sometimes you just have to stop dealing, and take a breath...there is just no good 'new deal' for us with rudy right now....

All Kendricks did was agree to have base salary converted to a signing bonus. He gets the same money, just gets it in a different way. Rudolph is in a completely different boat. He has no guaranteed money coming to him. That's why a multi year deal is needed. He agrees to lower his cap hit this year and in return gets some guaranteed money in future years.

One problem with the whole thing is that the NFL seems to have very little in terms of enforceable tampering policies. Multiple teams have contacted Rudolph's agent. That's why he knows other teams are interested.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 4646
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/23/2019 8:46:40 AM   
Tom Sykes

Its possible collusion, its also possible that Rudy is talking out of his ‘best in the league’ delusion (ie, out of his arse).

I suppose its possible, if the team has fielded offers for a player with a high cap#, they would discuss generalities with the agent.
Post #: 4647
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/23/2019 9:45:32 AM   
Bill Jandro

This Rudolph business has become nauseating

Brass need to put this to bed one way or the other

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 4648
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/23/2019 10:26:31 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

All Kendricks did was agree to have base salary converted to a signing bonus. He gets the same money, just gets it in a different way. Rudolph is in a completely different boat. He has no guaranteed money coming to him. That's why a multi year deal is needed. He agrees to lower his cap hit this year and in return gets some guaranteed money in future years.

One problem with the whole thing is that the NFL seems to have very little in terms of enforceable tampering policies. Multiple teams have contacted Rudolph's agent. That's why he knows other teams are interested.

so the deal that goessling is proposing doesn't work...even if his salary is converted to a signing bonus it's paid this season - thus applicable to this year's cap...i wonder if he was thinking that rudy would get all the money originally due, but because it's in the form of a bonus the cap hit would be deferred until next year....

if there's no 2020 contract between the vikes and rudy than you cannot defer bonus money into that year....

Ben Goessling@GoesslingStrib
Say the Vikings gave Kyle Rudolph a league-minimum $930K base salary in 2019, converted the remaining $6.345M of his salary to a signing bonus and kept his bonuses ($250K roster, $100K workout) intact. Same amount of cash for Rudolph, with ~$5M in cap saving for Vikings.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 4649
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/23/2019 10:50:58 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Ben Leber was asked his opinion on some of the under the radar roster battles. Most of the starting positions are set. (Exceptions. coming soon in another post) Let's stretch this out a bit because it's a slow time. First question: Who will get more snaps- Bower or Hercules? Leber's answer in my next post.

Post #: 4650
Page:   <<   < prev  184 185 [186] 187 188   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  184 185 [186] 187 188   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode