Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  186 187 [188] 189 190   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/23/2019 6:49:22 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I feel sometimes I'm talking to myself, but I have more to share. I have been trying to understand since the second day of the draft why the Vikings selected the running back before the offensive lineman. I was happy that they got Samia anyway by moving up in round four, but I got a clue from Leber, today. He said that he didn't like the idea of two rookies starting together in the middle of the line. Obviously our new center (Bradbury) will be the starter there and he's supposed to be the most "starting ready center" coming out of the draft "in years". Nevertheless, he still is a rookie and he saw that it was good for the Vikings to have a stable veteran who has been around and been in the fire in the past next to him.

So the Vikings must have been thinking that it was a higher priority to get the running back they had to have that would complement Cook rather than a player who would likely only be a backup in his first season. We'll see, because things happen like injuries and perhaps Samia who has been gaining weight and working out may very well have to start just because he is so talented. I thought he was the most important selection in the draft and obviously the Vikings thought it was important, too, because they had to move up to get him.

Next question: more snaps- Mattison or Boone? You know, sometimes it's not the answer, but the "reason why" that is the most interesting thing on these questions. I'm still anxious to get to the question of third and fourth receivers. That will be next after this.

Mattison. Good chance Boone isn't even on the team.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4676
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/23/2019 6:52:41 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

More snaps- Mattison or Boone? Leber said that the team invested a third round draft pick in Mattison and so it will probably be his job to lose. In other words, they will give him every benefit of the doubt because they are very much interested to see how their shiny new toy can do with the hopes that he can be special. He is considered to be a "three down running back", which means he can be put on the field in any situation and also he is seen as being a "complement" to Cook- I mean different and maybe even better than Cook at certain things. Also, Leber said he is the kind of bright and good character kind of young man that will do his homework in the preparation to training camp to be ready with all of the terminology, etc. with the playbook and understanding his responsibilities.

Next, we all know who the top two wide receivers are. Who will be the third and fourth wide receivers? Leber was at the OTA and so he based some of his opinions on what he saw. There was a big surprise to me when he answered this one.

If the Vikings have any sense it will be Mitchell for #3 and I think Bisi for #4.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4677
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/23/2019 7:17:19 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Close, because one of them is a rookie, but neither of the drafted receivers impressed join as much as an undrafted receiver.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 4678
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/23/2019 11:44:00 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Close, because one of them is a rookie, but neither of the drafted receivers impressed join as much as an undrafted receiver.

I'm not on the Hollins train at all.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4679
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2019 1:07:30 AM   
Bruce Johnson

No, not Hollins. I said it was a surprise. First of all he said that Beebe was number three with a bullet. Now, this is opinion during OTA's, so in fairness to him, he doesn't have a lot to go by, but he said that what he likes to see are "pops" when the receivers make their breaks. Diggs and Thielen have that and so does Beebe, apparently. He said that Treadwell seems to have "heavy feet" and it looked like Johnson and Mitchell were like that, too. ("nothing special") So that leaves us with Jordan Taylor or Jeff Badet, but the one who caught his eye was this receiver.

https://herosports.com/news/fcs-mens-football-sam-houston-state-wr-davion-davis-college-stats-and-highlights-awaw

I did a little reading up on Davis and he comes from a small school plus he got hurt and it affected his draft, but now he is healthy. Leber said that when he saw Davis he thought who the heck is that guy. He stood out above all of the others.

Now, I am typing in the wee hours of the morning, but I am wondering if the analyst I was listening to was not Leber, but Bercich. I'll have to check that out. It was one of those two.

Next question: which quarterback will be the number two guy?

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 4680
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2019 1:09:18 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I just checked and it was Ben Leber. Here is the podcast:

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-paul-allen-kfan-fm-1003-26980875/episode/92noon-the-devils-playground-43115969/

Post #: 4681
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2019 1:22:48 AM   
Bruce Johnson

And just to finish up on Leber's question and answers, he saw Manion emerging as the number two guy based on his playing experience.

I would like to add that he was very impressed by the running back out of Nebraska via the Detroit Lions. (Abdulah) I'm so bad with names and names do not pop in my head easily at this stage of my life. He said that he runs with decisiveness and authority and he sees him being on the roster. Again, he used the word "pop". He said there are no certainties at this time of the year- just opinions that are formulated by early impressions.

If I remember any thing else from his radio conversation, I will add to it later, but for now that's all I can remember. I thought it was really interesting to get some strong opinions in May and based on observations in the OTA.

Post #: 4682
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2019 6:44:12 AM   
Bill Jandro

Abdullah certainly has some shake and bake.

I think ball security has always been the problem with him.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 4683
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2019 8:41:21 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

No, not Hollins. I said it was a surprise. First of all he said that Beebe was number three with a bullet. Now, this is opinion during OTA's, so in fairness to him, he doesn't have a lot to go by, but he said that what he likes to see are "pops" when the receivers make their breaks. Diggs and Thielen have that and so does Beebe, apparently. He said that Treadwell seems to have "heavy feet" and it looked like Johnson and Mitchell were like that, too. ("nothing special") So that leaves us with Jordan Taylor or Jeff Badet, but the one who caught his eye was this receiver.

https://herosports.com/news/fcs-mens-football-sam-houston-state-wr-davion-davis-college-stats-and-highlights-awaw

I did a little reading up on Davis and he comes from a small school plus he got hurt and it affected his draft, but now he is healthy. Leber said that when he saw Davis he thought who the heck is that guy. He stood out above all of the others.

Now, I am typing in the wee hours of the morning, but I am wondering if the analyst I was listening to was not Leber, but Bercich. I'll have to check that out. It was one of those two.

Very interesting. HUGE numbers at a tiny school. Never saw him so off to watch some film. As for Mitchell and "Heavy Feet" not true in the slightest. Those feet are about as light as they come.
EDIT: After watching film he definitely has wiggle. Even in highlights didn't always get good separation. Checking his speed he wasn't timed at the combine and the only 40 time I found on him was from an obscure draft site that had him at 4.63.
http://draftanalyst.com/davion-davis
Now considering that non combine times are usually a tenth of a second faster than combine times that is more like a 4.73. He's listed at 5'10.5" and 191. The numbers don't look good, but I don't know how reliable they are. I'm reserving judgment on him at this time until I can find out more. The football speed better be a heck of a lot better than the reported time or he has no chance.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/24/2019 9:06:49 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4684
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2019 8:52:30 AM   
Todd M

It's gonna be Thielen/Diggs/Mitchell/Badet/Bebe/Johnson
Post #: 4685
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2019 8:55:24 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Drop Badet to last in that group and I think you got it just right.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4686
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2019 9:15:32 AM   
It’s a good thing for David Bakhtiari that he is the Packers only good OLineman or else Erin Rodgers would have him banished from Green Bay after last nights embarrassment.

I can see why Rodgers was never one of the boys. What a weak effort!

Frank the Tank he is not...
  Post #: 4687
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2019 9:17:27 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Yeah, I guess Badet cleaning up the bottom sounds about right.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 4688
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2019 9:20:25 AM   
quote:

quote:

I like that group quite a bit. Quite an athletic WR room there.

Kinda sad how Todd drops Treadwell completely off the team and nobody bats an eye, but true indeed.
  Post #: 4689
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2019 10:00:52 AM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

quote:

Kinda sad how Todd drops Treadwell completely off the team and nobody bats an eye, but true indeed.

Not to be contrarian, but Taylor has been taking 1st team reps. P Manning was impressed with him (before injuries) and as Zimmer pointed out, has history with G Kubiak. Cousins has already been singing his praises.

I would include a 7th or 6th to trade Treadwell and free up 1.8M in cap space. Cap space is so much more valuable to us at this point and we already are slated to have 10 draft picks next.

Its so early, projections are meaningless at this point. But I'll make mine:

Digg/Thielan/Taylor/Beebe/Badet. Zystra/Johnson/Mitchell battle for that 6th spot.

< Message edited by Pager -- 5/24/2019 10:02:25 AM >

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 4690
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2019 10:11:28 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

Funny. Treadwell never crossed my thought process until you mentioned it ...
Post #: 4691
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2019 10:35:25 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

if i had to choose today - that group would be my choice, too....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 4692
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2019 12:01:17 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

Badet looks good in OTAs because of no contact. Hopefully he took this past year to get stronger.
Post #: 4693
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2019 1:07:11 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I guess Badet cleaning up the bottom sounds about right.

Very Euro of you.
Post #: 4694
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2019 1:10:37 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

Very interesting. HUGE numbers at a tiny school. Never saw him so off to watch some film. As for Mitchell and "Heavy Feet" not true in the slightest. Those feet are about as light as they come.
EDIT: After watching film he definitely has wiggle. Even in highlights didn't always get good separation. Checking his speed he wasn't timed at the combine and the only 40 time I found on him was from an obscure draft site that had him at 4.63.
Now considering that non combine times are usually a tenth of a second faster than combine times that is more like a 4.73. He's listed at 5'10.5" and 191. The numbers don't look good, but I don't know how reliable they are. I'm reserving judgment on him at this time until I can find out more. The football speed better be a heck of a lot better than the reported time or he has no chance.

Probably faster than Beebe.
Post #: 4695
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2019 1:13:55 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

Probably faster than Beebe.

It would be close. I found another scouting report on him that didn't include his 40 time, but talked about his speed like it was a good thing. The information on him just seems vague and unreliable to me. I would like to see some OTA film on him showing him to be head and shoulders above everybody else like was it Leber saying this?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 4696
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2019 1:37:30 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not to be contrarian, but Taylor has been taking 1st team reps. P Manning was impressed with him (before injuries) and as Zimmer pointed out, has history with G Kubiak. Cousins has already been singing his praises.

I would include a 7th or 6th to trade Treadwell and free up 1.8M in cap space. Cap space is so much more valuable to us at this point and we already are slated to have 10 draft picks next.

Digg/Thielan/Taylor/Beebe/Badet. Zystra/Johnson/Mitchell battle for that 6th spot.

I agree. If Taylor stays healthy - there is no way he’s not the 3rd or 4th guy (and backup or punt returner). Same with Beebe.

Not sure Badet is well-rounded enough but if nothing else he’s Robinson II and we did protect him from being swiped by the Jets. For what little that is worth.

5 WRs (thiels, diggs, taylor, beebe, badet) zylstra if we keep 6 / johnson on practice squad.
(I think well-rounded Johnson is a darknorse to bump one trick pony badet and stiff zylstra)

4 TEs (rudy, smith, morgan, conklin)
I think if te Hikutini has improved enough as a blocker, he may just bump Conklin)
Post #: 4697
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2019 2:04:26 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree. If Taylor stays healthy - there is no way he’s not the 3rd or 4th guy (and backup or punt returner). Same with Beebe.

Not sure Badet is well-rounded enough but if nothing else he’s Robinson II and we did protect him from being swiped by the Jets. For what little that is worth.

5 WRs (thiels, diggs, taylor, beebe, badet) zylstra if we keep 6 / johnson on practice squad.
(I think well-rounded Johnson is a darknorse to bump one trick pony badet and stiff zylstra)

4 TEs (rudy, smith, morgan, conklin)
I think if te Hikutini has improved enough as a blocker, he may just bump Conklin)

I include Badet just because he adds an element that no other WR on our team does. Pure speed (Much faster than Robinson). Williamson proved you need more than that, but if Badet has hands and can run the route tree, it would add great value. Plus, if I remember right Badet had offers to sign a future/practice squad contract with another team.

EDIT: I missed the Jets part of your post. I do think it means something.

I don't know enough about Hikutini. I'm good if either develops into a serviceable player. Need one of them to step up with Morgan and Rudy in contract years.

< Message edited by Pager -- 5/24/2019 2:06:14 PM >

Post #: 4698
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2019 2:14:33 PM   
Pager

Maybe the speed thing (Robinson vs Badet) isn't as pronounced as I thought.

A Robinson listed at 4.43 speed, although at 30, he might be a step slower. Badet, 4.27.

Post #: 4699
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2019 2:28:48 PM   
David F.

I think the WR depth is better viewed with four trees rather than one long one.

WR1: Thielen, Beebe
WR2: Diggs, Zylstra
WR3: Taylor
WR4: Badet

Obviously Diggs moves to 1 if Thielen is out although that might be semantics as our 1 and 2 seem interchangable. My point is that Badet is a perfect fit for WR4 in the sense that he is first in line to play the 4th WR in a formation. That doesn't mean he's the fourth best or would take over the #2 spot of there were a couple of injuries.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 4700
Page:   <<   < prev  186 187 [188] 189 190   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  186 187 [188] 189 190   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode