Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  250 251 [252] 253 254   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 3:32:32 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Suit yourself. I'd rather have a good kicker.

84% overall with around 100% in the clutch and 87% PATs is a good kicker. I had no issue with Forbath as our kicker at all.

Who said he was 100% in the clutch? Where are the numbers that support that statement? And 87% on PAT is piss poor. He was so good in 2017 that he got picked up for a whopping 3 games in 2018.

87% on PATs is piss poor and hard to explain. However, I don't give a rat's ass about PATs if he missed a few a year. FGs count triple the PATs and that is what matters to me. We lost 3 games total that year and I didn't say that he was 100% in the clutch. I'm not certain. I know he made a huge FG down the stretch to win the Saints game only to have the defense blow it. I had no problems whatsoever with Forbath.

Circumlocutory indeed.

around 100% in the clutch is absolutely not saying 100% in the clutch. I said around because I wasn't sure. He may have missed one clutch FG. I guess I'm circumlocutory. I don't give a rat's ass.

Well if you didn't mean what you said, I don't know why we are arguing.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6276
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 3:35:00 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: odin

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

It's a great way to rate accuracy. Very few FG attempts of less than 29 yards are missed by any kickers in the NFL. We can include the whole lot though. Forbath's over all percentage of 84.2% with the Vikings was good for 17th place in the NFL. His PAT % of 87.2% was 28th in the NFL.

I also dispute the logic that says the 6 that he missed didn't count.

FGs by "Mr. Clutch" in 2017:

In Wins: 87.5%
In Losses: 66.7%

Games 1-8: 21/22
Games 9-16: 11/16

Final margin:
0-7 Points: 6/9
8-14 Points: 13/14
15+ Points: 13/15

So he was great in the first half of the season, in wins and in blowouts. Much less so in the 2nd half of the season, in losses and in close games.

Doesn't seem like a guy to pine after to me.

Should be enough evidence for all but the circumlocutory poster who always needs to have the "last word".

Circumlocutory. Damn this board is educational.

How many of those lost games were lost because of a missed FG? Was it any? How many of those lost games were on a missed FG of less than 50 yards? If the answer is none than he was 100% in the clutch. Maybe I'm circumlocutory maybe I'm not because I don't know what that word means. I don't really care. Forbath absolutely got the job done for us.

No he didn't. If he did we wouldn't have drafted a kicker and cut him. If he was that good, he would have been picked up for more than a 3 game stint last year. There is a level of performance that separates the upper level of kickers from the guys who bounce around from team to team. Clearly Forbath doesn't have that. Otherwise he wouldn't be looking to catch on with his 5th team.

He absolutely and without any question whatsoever got the job done for us. We were just foolish enough to see the grass being greener on the other side of the fence. If we had kept Forbath I am about 99% certain we would have been a better team last year and made the playoffs last year and once in the playoffs you never know what could happen.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6277
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 3:36:12 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Suit yourself. I'd rather have a good kicker.

84% overall with around 100% in the clutch and 87% PATs is a good kicker. I had no issue with Forbath as our kicker at all.

Who said he was 100% in the clutch? Where are the numbers that support that statement? And 87% on PAT is piss poor. He was so good in 2017 that he got picked up for a whopping 3 games in 2018.

87% on PATs is piss poor and hard to explain. However, I don't give a rat's ass about PATs if he missed a few a year. FGs count triple the PATs and that is what matters to me. We lost 3 games total that year and I didn't say that he was 100% in the clutch. I'm not certain. I know he made a huge FG down the stretch to win the Saints game only to have the defense blow it. I had no problems whatsoever with Forbath.

Circumlocutory indeed.

around 100% in the clutch is absolutely not saying 100% in the clutch. I said around because I wasn't sure. He may have missed one clutch FG. I guess I'm circumlocutory. I don't give a rat's ass.

Well if you didn't mean what you said, I don't know why we are arguing.

I meant what I said. Around 100% means either 100% or close to it.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6278
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 3:36:19 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's a great way to rate accuracy. Very few FG attempts of less than 29 yards are missed by any kickers in the NFL. We can include the whole lot though. Forbath's over all percentage of 84.2% with the Vikings was good for 17th place in the NFL. His PAT % of 87.2% was 28th in the NFL.

Final margin:

So he was great in the first half of the season, in wins and in blowouts. Much less so in the 2nd half of the season, in losses and in close games.

Should be enough evidence for all but the circumlocutory poster who always needs to have the "last word".

Forbath was 47/53 while with the Vikes including 7/10 on field goals 50+ yards. I'd be thrilled with that going forward. Clutch is subjective -- he did make the long field goal late against the Saints. As mentioned, he had other shortcomings (PATs and kickoffs).

That's all from me on Forbath. I'm happy to have Vedvik!

That first partial year with us was an outlier compared to every other year in his career. 2017, where he was with us the full year is much more in-line with the rest of his career as a journeyman kicker that has kicked in 16 games only twice in his career - and bookended his 16 with us by playing in 7 the year before and 3 the year after.

Truth is, we barely needed a kicker in 2017. We outscored our opponents by 130 points and had 2 games that were decided by less than 7 points. There were not a lot of high pressure situations.

I don't expect we'll be doing that this year and FGs and PATs will likely be much more valuable to us - not to mention being able to launch kickoffs.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 8/13/2019 3:42:26 PM >
Post #: 6279
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 3:39:02 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

Final margin:

Forbath was 47/53 while with the Vikes including 7/10 on field goals 50+ yards. I'd be thrilled with that going forward. Clutch is subjective -- he did make the long field goal late against the Saints. As mentioned, he had other shortcomings (PATs and kickoffs).

That's all from me on Forbath. I'm happy to have Vedvik!

That first partial year with us was an outlier compared to every other year in his career. 2017, where he was with us the full year is much more in-line with the rest of his career as a journeyman kicker that has kicked in 16 games only twice in his career - and bookended his 16 with us by playing in 7 the year before and 3 the year after.

Truth is, we barely needed a kicker in 2017. We outscored our opponents by 130 points and had 2 games that were decided by less than 7 points. There were not a lot of high pressure situations.

I don't expect we'll be doing that this year and FGs and PATs will likely be much more valuable to us - not to mention being able to launch kickoffs.

Were we discussing his entire career or his time with the Vikings. Moving the goalposts much DL?
As for Vedvik he is very intriguing. What usually makes or breaks a kicker is less about leg strength and more about what's between the ears. Hopefully he has the kind of mind that can deal with that kind of pressure.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/13/2019 3:41:17 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6280
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 3:39:22 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Final margin:

How many of those lost games were lost because of a missed FG? Was it any? How many of those lost games were on a missed FG of less than 50 yards? If the answer is none than he was 100% in the clutch. Maybe I'm circumlocutory maybe I'm not because I don't know what that word means. I don't really care. Forbath absolutely got the job done for us.

No he didn't. If he did we wouldn't have drafted a kicker and cut him. If he was that good, he would have been picked up for more than a 3 game stint last year. There is a level of performance that separates the upper level of kickers from the guys who bounce around from team to team. Clearly Forbath doesn't have that. Otherwise he wouldn't be looking to catch on with his 5th team.

He absolutely and without any question whatsoever got the job done for us. We were just foolish enough to see the grass being greener on the other side of the fence. If we had kept Forbath I am about 99% certain we would have been a better team last year and made the playoffs last year and once in the playoffs you never know what could happen.

I guess denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6281
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 3:43:21 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Final margin:

If you don't think we would have been better off with Forbath last year than the suck ass combo of Carlson and Bailey I think you are the one living on that river in Egypt. Regardless that is over and done with. I really hope that Bailey is not our K this year so I'm willing to give Vedvik a try.
I'm done so anybody want the last word it's yours.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/13/2019 3:58:04 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6282
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 3:43:24 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Final margin:

Well, I would assume Forbath would have made at least one of the three FGs that Carlson missed in Green Bay and that victory instead of a tie likely would have put us in the playoffs....

So, He's not so far off base here. It's not really denial. We weren't far from making the playoffs. Had we won in week 17 we were in. So just one FG in week 3 or whatever it was...would have made the difference.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 6283
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 3:44:25 PM   
TJSweens

Assuming he made them.

Post #: 6284
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 3:46:29 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Assuming he made them.

I did say that I assumed Forbath would have made at least one of the three that Carlson missed.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 6285
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 3:49:21 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Assuming he made them.

I did say that I assumed Forbath would have made at least one of the three that Carlson missed.

I am not a big Forbath fan, but I think he was better than Bailey. If you get Bailey fixed from the right hash and let the new guy kickoff and punt plus figure out the holder I no longer have an interest to change.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6286
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 3:51:14 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Assuming he made them.

And what if he misses the 52 yarder or the 37 yarder Bailey made against the Eagles? You can't just point to one game.

Post #: 6287
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 3:54:10 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Final margin:

Well, I would assume Forbath would have made at least one of the three FGs that Carlson missed in Green Bay and that victory instead of a tie likely would have put us in the playoffs....

So, He's not so far off base here. It's not really denial. We weren't far from making the playoffs. Had we won in week 17 we were in. So just one FG in week 3 or whatever it was...would have made the difference.

What if Forbath misses one (or more) of the 3 PATs that Carlson made and the game never gets to OT (where two of our missed FGs occurred)?

And the one FG Carlson missed in regulation was from 48 yards - hardly a given for Forbath.

It's just as easy to say we lose that game instead of tie if we had Forbath as it is to say we'd have won it.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 8/13/2019 3:55:57 PM >
Post #: 6288
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 3:59:28 PM   
TJSweens

Like I said, if Forbath was that good, he would have caught on with someone by now. Clearly, nobody views him as a long term solution.

Post #: 6289
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 4:05:12 PM   
ratoppenheimer

these guys have to get their numbers together....

Eric Smith@Eric_L_Smith
Dan Bailey made all 6 kicks today, his first perfect day of camp.

Chad Graff@ChadGraff
Dan Bailey had his first perfect training camp practice today, going 7-for-7. Kaare Vedvik has handled punting and kickoffs.

Arif Hasan@ArifHasanNFL
Mattison is essentially a lock at #2. Looks good, had a drop today. I'd say Boone now has a better chance than Abdullah at#3

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
#Vikings kicker Dan Bailey on going 7 of 7 today on kicks, including 54-yarder: “Heading in the right direction. Today was a good indicator of that. I thought we had a good day as a unit. So you just got to move forward and do your best.’’

#Vikings coach Mike Zimmer, a year after saying the linebacker depth isn't good, said the depth at the position is the best now in his six years and team might keep as many as six backers.

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 8/13/2019 4:16:22 PM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 6290
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 4:07:01 PM   
geoffrey greitzer

What about the new kid?
Post #: 6291
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 4:12:01 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Eric Smith@Eric_L_Smith

Who was holding? Vedvik?

Now we will stick with Bailey and he will hit 75% for the season.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/13/2019 4:14:52 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6292
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 4:24:41 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

Eric Smith@Eric_L_Smith

Who was holding? Vedvik?

I believe the holder was Chad Beebe.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6293
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 4:24:56 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

Eric Smith@Eric_L_Smith

Who was holding? Vedvik?

Vikings WR Chad Beebe holds for Dan Bailey kick with Matt Wile having hurt finger kick is good and Kaare Vedvik takes kickoff.

Beebe holding in FG drills.

Post #: 6294
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 4:26:04 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: geoffrey greitzer

What about the new kid?

I think he is slated to punt and hold. Zim has been fairly complimentary of Bailey. Wiley is okay with Zim, except for the direction of his punts, the distance he punts and the way he holds. Other than that I guess he is happy with him.

Post #: 6295
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 4:26:42 PM   
ratoppenheimer

#Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said there's a "good possibility" he could try Kaare Vedvik as both a punter and kicker in one of the final three preseason games. Yet he reiterated it would be difficult for one guy to end up doing both in regular season.

Post #: 6296
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 4:27:04 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

Eric Smith@Eric_L_Smith

Who was holding? Vedvik?

Vikings WR Chad Beebe holds for Dan Bailey kick with Matt Wile having hurt finger kick is good and Kaare Vedvik takes kickoff.

Maybe Beebe will be the holder. I have a feeling he would be good at it. How often do holders get injured? I think it is very rare.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 6297
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 5:06:50 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Eric Smith@Eric_L_Smith

Who was holding? Vedvik?

Maybe Beebe will be the holder. I have a feeling he would be good at it. How often do holders get injured? I think it is very rare.

Problem is if he gets injured playing wr he may be unable to fulfill holding duties.

Dan Bailey was also seen practicing as a holder.

My best guess.

Wile is done.
Vedvik is the new punter,holder,KO's
Bailey will be the primary FG Kicker, and holder for Vedvik on long FG attempts....

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6298
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 5:10:04 PM   
Bill Jandro

One thing that needs to be figured out right away though is whether Vedvik is a P or K

I've seen P's handle KO duties before so that is not out of the ordinary.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6299
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 5:11:29 PM   
David Levine

quote:

#Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said there's a "good possibility" he could try Kaare Vedvik as both a punter and kicker in one of the final three preseason games. Yet he reiterated it would be difficult for one guy to end up doing both in regular season.

Agreed.

I can only remember one guy over the past 10-20 years that started the season intending to do both - and that flamed out quickly.
Post #: 6300
Page:   <<   < prev  250 251 [252] 253 254   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  250 251 [252] 253 254   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode