Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  251 252 [253] 254 255   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 6:29:58 PM   
David F.

Paul Charchian
@PaulCharchian
Validates what
@ChrisWarcraft
says about attempting to do both. The Vikings are going to have to cut Bailey or Wile to make room for him on the roster. Who goes?[
/i]

Cassandra, Pudgy Nobody
@ChrisWarcraft
·
6h
Replying to
@PaulCharchian
Keep an eye on who takes the majority of holds for field goals. That’s likely who stays (Bailey stays if Vedevik is holding, Wile stays if he’s holding for both). Also, don’t discount the play of cutting Bailey then bringing him back week 2 so his salary isn’t guaranteed.

Later Chris was asked what to make of it if a WR was doing the holding and he said that means the team doesn't have a clue what they're going to do.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6301
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 6:41:05 PM   
Ricky J

Maybe so, all I know is we aren't going with wr3 as a regular holder - especially an injury prone wr3 (I'm taking the liberty of making out the depth chart)
Post #: 6302
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 6:53:34 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

Eric Smith@Eric_L_Smith
Dan Bailey made all 6 kicks today, his first perfect day of camp.

Who was holding? Vedvik?

Now we will stick with Bailey and he will hit 75% for the season.

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
Vikings WR Chad Beebe holds for Dan Bailey kick with Matt Wile having hurt finger kick is good and Kaare Vedvik takes kickoff.

Beebe holding in FG drills.

Maybe Beebe will be the holder. I have a feeling he would be good at it. How often do holders get injured? I think it is very rare.

Problem is if he gets injured playing wr he may be unable to fulfill holding duties.

Dan Bailey was also seen practicing as a holder.

My best guess.

Wile is done.
Vedvik is the new punter,holder,KO's
Bailey will be the primary FG Kicker, and holder for Vedvik on long FG attempts....

Absolutely re Vedvik being the holder.

Beebe won't be the holder, except maybe on some well-telegraphed gadget play. Zim himself said Beebe's issue is health.
Post #: 6303
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 6:55:53 PM   
Bill Johanesen

And with Zimmer being old school AND thinking a rookie K choked last year, no way in he!! does he sign off for V pulling K and P duties.
Post #: 6304
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 9:45:07 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Having a kicker kick in the back of the end zone is huge to me. A lot of players get hurt on that kickoff play.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6305
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 9:51:18 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Matt Wile said he cut his left thumb on the sideline before his first punt last Friday in a freak accident. caught it on a sideline device. (Chris Tomasson on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6306
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 10:39:23 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Matt Wile said he cut his left thumb on the sideline before his first punt last Friday in a freak accident. caught it on a sideline device. (Chris Tomasson on Twitter)

Sounds like an injury settlement.
Post #: 6307
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 10:41:55 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Having a kicker kick in the back of the end zone is huge to me. A lot of players get hurt on that kickoff play.

C'mon man, you can get injured walking out your front door, or by a sideline device. Players are safer ON the field.
Post #: 6308
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/13/2019 10:45:30 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Sounds like an injury settlement.

Not sure “Allowing oneself to get injured” on the sideline is in the CBA?
  Post #: 6309
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2019 4:55:01 AM   
ratoppenheimer

why do players wait so long to have surgery?...even minor surgery....

june 15, 2019

Morgan recently underwent minor arthroscopic knee surgery to clean up a lingering injury and should be ready for training camp, Tom Pelissero of NFL.com reports.

Morgan injured his knee last season, but was still dealing with lingering issues from it. As a result, he opted to play it safe with the surgery in order to in order to ensure his health going forward. He is projected to provide depth at tight end this season.

December 8, 2018 01:52 PM

Vikings' David Morgan: Out Monday
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

Morgan (knee) has been ruled out ahead of Monday's contest against the Seahawks.

Morgan is now slated to miss his fourth consecutive game after suffering a knee injury in Week 9. Tyler Conklin is expected to serve as the Vikings' No. 2 tight end in his absence with Kyle Rudolph slated to take on his typical role as the starter.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 6310
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2019 7:19:52 AM   
thebigo

quote:

why do players wait so long to have surgery?...even minor surgery....

june 15, 2019

Morgan recently underwent minor arthroscopic knee surgery to clean up a lingering injury and should be ready for training camp, Tom Pelissero of NFL.com reports.

Morgan injured his knee last season, but was still dealing with lingering issues from it. As a result, he opted to play it safe with the surgery in order to in order to ensure his health going forward. He is projected to provide depth at tight end this season.

December 8, 2018 01:52 PM

Vikings' David Morgan: Out Monday
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

Morgan (knee) has been ruled out ahead of Monday's contest against the Seahawks.

Morgan is now slated to miss his fourth consecutive game after suffering a knee injury in Week 9. Tyler Conklin is expected to serve as the Vikings' No. 2 tight end in his absence with Kyle Rudolph slated to take on his typical role as the starter.

Remember that defensive tackle that had that surgery to clean up a little cartilage?
Post #: 6311
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2019 7:25:51 AM   
jbusse

Trevor Siemian averaged 4.8 yards per attempt in the Jets pre-season opener. I don't think he'll be missed. I'd rather see Sloter if we have to go with a backup.
Post #: 6312
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2019 8:27:57 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I disagree with this article. Five is too many.

https://thevikingage.com/2019/08/14/minnesota-vikings-should-keep-five-rbs/

Post #: 6313
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2019 9:01:42 AM   
twinsfan

Former Vikings RB Mike Gaddis has passed away at the age of 50.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 6314
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2019 9:27:03 AM   
Bruce Johnson

The WR from Oregon not looking good.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/8/13/20804881/minnesota-vikings-training-camp-august-13-day-14-recap

Post #: 6315
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2019 10:33:32 AM   
David Levine

quote:

The WR from Oregon not looking good.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/8/13/20804881/minnesota-vikings-training-camp-august-13-day-14-recap

WR stuff:

• Olabisi Johnson started the day getting WR3 reps with the first team. Chad Beebe, Jordan Taylor, and Jeff Badet also got some snaps with Kirk Cousins and the starting offensive line. One wide receiver that still didn’t get any first team reps: Laquon Treadwell. I think his absence from that rotation was rather telling.

• I’m really not trying to pile on Treadwell, but it seriously looks like he doesn’t even want to be out there sometimes. It appears that he’s always going about 75% whether the drill calls for it or not. He had another drop on Tuesday and has yet to make an impact anywhere outside of special teams. I’m all for eating the dead cap and moving on from the whole mess this season.

• My Dillon Mitchell pick for Mr. Mankato looks all but dead in the water. He had another drop on Tuesday. Mannion found him wide open up the right seam in 11-on-11, yet Mitchell didn’t turn for the ball in time. The last few wide receiver positions on the roster remain wiiiiide open, but the former Oregon standout isn’t taking advantage.
Post #: 6316
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2019 11:11:44 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: odin

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

It's a great way to rate accuracy. Very few FG attempts of less than 29 yards are missed by any kickers in the NFL. We can include the whole lot though. Forbath's over all percentage of 84.2% with the Vikings was good for 17th place in the NFL. His PAT % of 87.2% was 28th in the NFL.

I also dispute the logic that says the 6 that he missed didn't count.

FGs by "Mr. Clutch" in 2017:

In Wins: 87.5%
In Losses: 66.7%

Games 1-8: 21/22
Games 9-16: 11/16

Final margin:
0-7 Points: 6/9
8-14 Points: 13/14
15+ Points: 13/15

So he was great in the first half of the season, in wins and in blowouts. Much less so in the 2nd half of the season, in losses and in close games.

Doesn't seem like a guy to pine after to me.

Should be enough evidence for all but the circumlocutory poster who always needs to have the "last word".

Circumlocutory. Damn this board is educational.

How many of those lost games were lost because of a missed FG? Was it any? How many of those lost games were on a missed FG of less than 50 yards? If the answer is none than he was 100% in the clutch. Maybe I'm circumlocutory maybe I'm not because I don't know what that word means. I don't really care. Forbath absolutely got the job done for us.

No he didn't. If he did we wouldn't have drafted a kicker and cut him. If he was that good, he would have been picked up for more than a 3 game stint last year. There is a level of performance that separates the upper level of kickers from the guys who bounce around from team to team. Clearly Forbath doesn't have that. Otherwise he wouldn't be looking to catch on with his 5th team.

He absolutely and without any question whatsoever got the job done for us. We were just foolish enough to see the grass being greener on the other side of the fence. If we had kept Forbath I am about 99% certain we would have been a better team last year and made the playoffs last year and once in the playoffs you never know what could happen.

I guess denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

Well, I would assume Forbath would have made at least one of the three FGs that Carlson missed in Green Bay and that victory instead of a tie likely would have put us in the playoffs....

So, He's not so far off base here. It's not really denial. We weren't far from making the playoffs. Had we won in week 17 we were in. So just one FG in week 3 or whatever it was...would have made the difference.

What if Forbath misses one (or more) of the 3 PATs that Carlson made and the game never gets to OT (where two of our missed FGs occurred)?

And the one FG Carlson missed in regulation was from 48 yards - hardly a given for Forbath.

It's just as easy to say we lose that game instead of tie if we had Forbath as it is to say we'd have won it.

We could argue What ifs all day.

What if Forbath makes one of Carlsons misses and makes everything that Bailey made?

Seriously, I was responding the idea someone was in denial for thinking Forbath, who kicked reasonbly well for us wouldn't have done better than Carlson did.

Carlson had a decent pedigree and a bigger leg before they drafted him and seems to be doing better now in Oakland.

I wasn't a big fan of Forbath's or anything. I just think if you are being fair you don't expect a veteran to miss everything a rookie did.

OK?

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 6317
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2019 3:04:20 PM   
ratoppenheimer

here's vedvik kicking a 70 yard fg, indoors with a ball holder...does he take more steps than others?...i'm not sure, but his footwork looks kind of busy....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkQPykegNo_/?igshid=a1a20n857i1y

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 6318
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2019 3:06:09 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Video of linebacker competing against each other in throwing footballs. Fun to watch.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1161650108267556865

Post #: 6319
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2019 3:28:26 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

here's vedvik kicking a 70 yard fg, indoors with a ball holder...does he take more steps than others?...i'm not sure, but his footwork looks kind of busy....

If it works, who cares?

Mark Preifer would completely change his approach, plant and drive through the ball and the guy would suddenly struggle to make it from 35 yards.

I am really glad that asshat is gone.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 6320
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2019 3:39:10 PM   
David Levine

quote:

If he's quick enough to the ball, it's fine. If it slows him up enough to make blocks more likely, its a problem.
Post #: 6321
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2019 4:24:44 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I stumbled on a real gold nugget here. You will want to study this one.

https://climbingthepocket.com/2019/08/13/preseason-week-1-offensive-line-review/

Post #: 6322
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2019 8:29:41 PM   
Jeff Allen

Pretty easy to figure this one out...Vedvik kicks off and punts. Bailey kicks FG/XP (for now). Vedvik does FG 50+. If Bailey fails, and team gets comfortable with Vedvik, Vedvik does both jobs.
Post #: 6323
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2019 8:35:40 PM   
Pager

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001039757/article/nfls-best-secondary-bears-patriots-ravens-among-teams-with-a-case

Even though an analyst picked MN's secondary, headline ignores us. We do better when we don't have accolades.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 6324
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2019 8:47:53 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Back on the subject of the offensive line, (no reaction to my last post? I can't believe it) here is another really interesting video. Have you seen this?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1161752928253808640

Edit: For those who can't open twitter videos, I found this:

https://kfan.iheart.com/content/2019-08-14-video-brian-baldinger-breaks-down-vikings-o-line-vs-saints/?Pname=local_social&Keyid=socialflow&Sc=editorial

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 8/14/2019 9:12:13 PM >

Post #: 6325
Page:   <<   < prev  251 252 [253] 254 255   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  251 252 [253] 254 255   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode