Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 6:39:37 AM   
Todd M

So if Washington loses tonight we move back into the 6th playoff spot, right?

Holy no margins for error. I have no illusions that we are going to rise to the top this year, yet, I would rather turn on football WC weekend and see that we are playing rather than be miserable we are not.

IF we can win next Monday I think there is a reasonable chance we can run the table and maybe see Chicago drop one and still get the division. Still playing WC weekend but at least we'd get a home game.

Not where we expected to be but I damn well hope this team shows some fight over the next month. Sitting on the outside looking in will be a bitter pill to swallow and makes me wonder what all we'd have to change to turn it around but that will be next years problem.
Post #: 176
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 7:19:16 AM   
Todd M

I would like to know what Cousins' avg yard/completion prior to YAC was yesterday...was it even 2 yards? Felt like we had a shit ton of very short throws.
Post #: 177
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 7:24:12 AM   
Ricky J

So the tweets say Zimmer isn't (may not be) happy with Flip cause he doesn't run the ball more. Im not happy with Flip but I don't see how US running the ball more is going to be productive.

If you want to run the ball more Zimmer how 'bout we have a line that can make that a little more successful?

Ah F it!
Post #: 178
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 7:35:40 AM   
Todd M

Hard to argue with Zim this week when Cook was running at a good clip most times we ran. The -2 to 2 yard passes didn't amount to much and we way over did it there.
Post #: 179
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 8:25:50 AM   
Todd M

There's a disconnect for me with Zim now. I think the beginning of the end was his conceding he was over coaching the D this year and that was what had them 'off'. You listen to guys like Smith talk in the off season about how you play long enough together you just know what the other person is going to do...and I bought in huge to what system familiarity was going to do for us on D. Basically everything else would fall into place around how good the D would be and that would be enough. Yet we've been discombobulated. Great at times and missing others. There are some things that you have to take with Zimmer and for the most part it's fairly palatable...but if he's losing the D - and by that, as little as not being elite is him missing the mark...and they are never really carrying a big stick when it matters...we have to be nearing the end. Fizzle out this year and it has to be SB or bust the next.
Post #: 180
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 8:27:50 AM   
ronhextall

I have brought that up about coaches win it early or not at all.

The team no longer seems to gave that chip on their shoulders, let’s stick it up their ass mentality.

Yesterday reminded me of Gardenhire against the Yankees. Done before it even started. Too scared and too intimidated to even try.

The pass plays were so short you would have thought the Pats were rushing all 11 at the QB

Who the hell calls a 2 yard slant on 4th and very long? That had to be the call because Cousins didn’t look anywhere else first.

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 12/3/2018 8:37:15 AM >
Post #: 181
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 8:30:14 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

There's a disconnect for me with Zim now. I think the beginning of the end was his conceding he was over coaching the D this year and that was what had them 'off'. You listen to guys like Smith talk in the off season about how you play long enough together you just know what the other person is going to do...and I bought in huge to what system familiarity was going to do for us on D. Basically everything else would fall into place around how good the D would be and that would be enough. Yet we've been discombobulated. Great at times and missing others. There are some things that you have to take with Zimmer and for the most part it's fairly palatable...but if he's losing the D - and by that, as little as not being elite is him missing the mark...and they are never really carrying a big stick when it matters...we have to be nearing the end. Fizzle out this year and it has to be SB or bust the next.

And with all the resources spent on the defense, there are really no excuses.
Post #: 182
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 8:32:04 AM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

I have brought that up about coaches win it early or not at all.

The team no longer seems to gave that chip on their should let’s stick it up their ass mentality.

Yesterday reminded me of Gardenhire against the Yankees. Done before it even started. Too scared and too intimidated to even try.

The pass plays were so short you would have thought the Pats were rushing all 11 at the QB

Who the hell calls a 2 yard slant on 4th and very long? That had to be the call because Cousins didn’t look anywhere else first.

Gardenhire vs. Yankees is a great analogy.
Post #: 183
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 8:40:01 AM   
jbusse

In retrospect, difficult to not realize how good Shurmer was in comparison to DeFilippo, as others have noted. I'll be surprised if DeFilippo is back next year. He's been hampered by the OL, but even so, not seeing the brilliance we were expecting.
Post #: 184
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 8:56:18 AM   
Ricky J

Come on, Zim!

Your approval rating will be lower than Trumps if you get waxed at Seattle you know ...
Post #: 185
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 9:10:46 AM   
bstinger

Most glaring stat this morning.... 0 Sacks.

Pathetic.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 186
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 9:11:54 AM   
David F.

quote:

I would like to know what Cousins' avg yard/completion prior to YAC was yesterday...was it even 2 yards? Felt like we had a shit ton of very short throws.

I don't know what the stat you're looking for is but is yards per attempt was 4.6 yards - YUCKY! And we don't even have Rudolph to blame this time for dragging that number down as Rudolph had three catches on three targets for 38 yards. Rudolph actually brought the average UP.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 187
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 9:18:05 AM   
SteveR

Zimmer should go, yes.

Dude had his chance, and a great chance it was, but, as Adam Sandler would say, "YOU BLEW IT!"

I don't think it will happen, though. Excuses will be made. Status quo will be maintained. The team is still making money, I presume, so maybe after next season...
Post #: 188
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 9:27:08 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

I don't know what the stat you're looking for is but is yards per attempt was 4.6 yards - YUCKY! And we don't even have Rudolph to blame this time for dragging that number down as Rudolph had three catches on three targets for 38 yards. Rudolph actually brought the average UP.

4.6 is yucky...and it would only get worse if you went with completions as he only stretched the field a few times and missed. It was a terrible performance.
Post #: 189
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 9:33:54 AM   
Lars

My $0.02:

Tough to win on the road, and we didn't make it easy on ourselves.

Didn't see the first part of the game because I had to watch the end of the NYG/CHI on my broadcast feed. WTF?!

The refs were horrible. The many missed PI calls - two on the same drive in the end zone...the 4th downb call where they gave LM forward progress.....these guys were brutal.

Compton is horrible.

I'm actually surprised with HH and MS out there as our CB that they didn't put up 40+ on us.

Playcalling was crap.

Cousins looked unsettled, and as others have said, seemed to lack any fire.

I was laughing when the announcers were talking at the end that Flip was the top HC candidate. Really?!?! I am less than impressed...

We are an above-average team, and that's it. We could make some noise in the playoffs and beat just about anyone, but not with consistency.

With that said, GB is a grease fire and is only going to get worse, IMHO.

CHI is nothing special.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 190
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 9:33:55 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

Most glaring stat this morning.... 0 Sacks.

Pathetic.

yes, and zone defense...how does zimmer decide to play zone defense? - and injuries are no excuse...after we tied the game, zimmer opened up the field for brady's receivers to jog into without a defender in the area - how does a top-five defense just allow the best quarterback ever so much undefended wide open space and expect that he wouldn't be able to move the ball?....

zimmer plays the best teams with the same game plan he uses to play the worst teams....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 191
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 9:35:33 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

And with all the resources spent on the defense, there are really no excuses.

I'm so disappointed in how many times the opposition has WR/TE/RBs just running free in space both before and/or after the catch. I see the other team's guy catch and run into the end zone or for a long gain and I think 'why don't we ever have some easy ones like that?'

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 192
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 9:39:30 AM   
Jeff Jesser

the announcers were talking at the end that Flip was the top HC candidate. Really?!?!

They must have been Viking fans.....
Post #: 193
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 10:00:03 AM   
Tom Sykes

I expected us to lose in NE but this team still made it extra-painful to watch. Consistent under-performance is always more agonizing than lack of talent.

We did take some shots but overall ... the offensive playcalling and execution just smack of behind-the-scenes turbulence –Zimmer's fingerprints smudged all over Defillipo's play charts. Norv Turner needed to go in 2016 so that interference might have worked out in the end (not until the following season) but it sure seems to be throttling down again on creativity and boldness. Just like it did in 2016 (along with and due to a poor OL).

At this point, I would not be surprised by another 2016-like vastly under performing 8-8 season marked by very poor offensive line play and ineffective (offensive) playcalling. Which is remarkable given the short term memory loss that would allow that travesty to happen again so soon.

If I'm Spielman, I step in and tell Zimmer, for his own good, that his input each week (on the offense) ends after Monday meetings and helping Flip scout the next opponent's defense. After that Defilippo is going gameplan and open up an aggressive uptempo live-or-die-by-the-sword offense.

We need to find out what we have in Flip also, moving forward.
Post #: 194
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 10:17:50 AM   
ronhextall

I think Zimm has Flip scared shitless, I also am starting to think he does it to kickers.

I think Zimm gets fired about 1/2 way through next season in Childress type fashion.

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 12/3/2018 10:20:24 AM >
Post #: 195
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 10:35:45 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

I think Zimm has Flip scared shitless, I also am starting to think he does it to kickers.

I think Zimm gets fired about 1/2 way through next season in Childress type fashion.

If that is true, those guys shouldn't be in the NFL.
Post #: 196
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 10:44:43 AM   
TJSweens

I don't think Flip is scared shitless, but he is being severely handcuffed by his head coach. Zim wants a grind it out, ball control offense to chew up the clock. Zim's reaction to the offense was once again to say that we didn't run enough.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 197
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 10:57:53 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I don't think Flip is scared shitless, but he is being severely handcuffed by his head coach. Zim wants a grind it out, ball control offense to chew up the clock. Zim's reaction to the offense was once again to say that we didn't run enough.

It again was a 4/1 pass to run ratio in a tie game through 3 quarters. We averaged 7 yards a carry. Cousins was hurried on at least half of his attempts.

I know we need to have a new age offense but our OLine will not permit it even if we fired Zimmer and promoted DeFlip.
Post #: 198
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 11:24:15 AM   
ronhextall

New York paper said Belichick told Theilen to Shut the F$&! Up.

We are doing end zone choreography and they are doing whatever it takes to win.
Post #: 199
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 11:29:23 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

New York paper said Belichick told Theilen to Shut the F$&! Up.

We are doing end zone choreography and they are doing whatever it takes to win.

End zone stuff is getting old but I like Thielen telling the legend that faking injuries is BS. Earlier this year BB was crying about Miami faking injuries.

My guess is teams will continue to do it when there are close challengable plays and the league will make a new rule next year to fix it.
Post #: 200
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode