Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  87 88 [89] 90 91   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 12:27:04 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Gregg Williams let go from Browns....lol

Excellent karma
And I bet he acted like an ass on the way out as well.
Quit giving that p.o.s. a job, NFL .....
Post #: 2201
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 12:28:36 PM   
SoMnFan

Fangio out in Chicago is great news for us, imo.
Post #: 2202
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 12:35:03 PM   
SoMnFan

How all NFL teams should feel about their QB situation for next year ....

11. Minnesota Vikings

Yeah, I know. Collapsed in the second half. Didn't beat winning teams. Didn't sufficiently elevate the group around him. They did better the season before with Case Keenum. Not saying any of those arguments about Kirk Cousins is without merit. What I am saying is that the stuff Cousins still has left to prove is all the same as it was last year, when the Vikings were confident enough to guarantee him $84 million over three years.

Two of those years remain, and Cousins picked up a new offense very quickly this season and put up solid numbers. Let's see him with an improved offensive line and a healthy Dalvin Cook. Trevor Siemian is the backup with starting NFL experience.
Post #: 2203
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 12:43:22 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

11. Minnesota Vikings

Yeah, I know. Collapsed in the second half. Didn't beat winning teams. Didn't sufficiently elevate the group around him. They did better the season before with Case Keenum. Not saying any of those arguments about Kirk Cousins is without merit. What I am saying is that the stuff Cousins still has left to prove is all the same as it was last year, when the Vikings were confident enough to guarantee him $84 million over three years.

Two of those years remain, and Cousins picked up a new offense very quickly this season and put up solid numbers. Let's see him with an improved offensive line and a healthy Dalvin Cook. Trevor Siemian is the backup with starting NFL experience.

I'd rather not dedicate 2M to a backup AND the Roster Spot. Sloter should be the #2 and we should have a guy on the P.S. Our run defense against the Bears could have used Perry. Or Gosset getting sniped from P.S. Both were potential uses for the 3rd QB roster spot.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2204
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 1:58:51 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: kwheats

Verified account

@AdamSchefter
Follow Follow @AdamSchefter
More
Kevin Stefanski, a finalist for the Browns' head-coaching job, is returning to Minnesota as the Vikings offensive coordinator, per source.

9:07 AM - 9 Jan 2019

Another one season and gone OC?
Post #: 2205
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 2:21:43 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

That past, plus his record as a HC before the Browns are biting him in the butt.

It is funny though. In 7 weeks he won more games than Hue Jackson did in three years.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2206
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 2:41:24 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: kwheats

Verified account

@AdamSchefter
Follow Follow @AdamSchefter
More
Kevin Stefanski, a finalist for the Browns' head-coaching job, is returning to Minnesota as the Vikings offensive coordinator, per source.

9:07 AM - 9 Jan 2019

Another one season and gone OC?

I expect the regime to hire a veteran 'Senior Asst. / Passing Game (probably run game in our case) Coordinator up in the box. As well as a seasoned OL Coach with OC experience.

In fact, I will be surprised if he 's not surrounded with former HCs.
Post #: 2207
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 2:50:20 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Don't laugh too hard there is a good chance he is the Bears DC next season

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2208
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 2:59:52 PM   
Ragnarök

Well looks like they are keeping the band together....

Priority as everyone said is a OL coach that is proven to have fixed OLs previous... (a Russ Grimm type)

As well we need to dig deep for a QB coach that compliments Stefanski and knows or can work with Kirk and his strengths/ weaknesses to get the most from him.

Would also love to see an Assistant Head Coach hire that is very OC minded (Like we had with Shurmur before we ran off Norv) Zimm needs some strong offensive minded buffer between him and Stefanski to keep Zimm focused on his D... (it is said that was OL coach Sporano's role before his untimely death this past Summer)

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 1/9/2019 3:02:14 PM >
Post #: 2209
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 3:00:34 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

After the death of Tony Sparano, the Vikings went with Assistant OL Coach Andrew Janocko and TE Coach Clancy Barone as co-OL Coaches. Head coach Mike Zimmer gave some mild compliments to both coaches at his end-of-season press conference, but also said that after the death of Tony Sparano things went into a tailspin.

Andrew Janocko had only worked as an assistant OL coach for a year before being elevated after Sparano’s death. No offense to Janocko, but he’s a young guy that could use a few more seasons as an assistant OL coach before being really ready to be the position coach.

Clancy Barone had been an offensive line coach before with a couple teams, but never for very long. He has alternated between OL coach and TE coach, but has had a hard time holding onto either position for more than a couple years since becoming an NFL coach in 2004. Eight of those years since he’s been a TE coach, and that may be the better spot for him. His runs as OL coach have been very short lived- one or two years at the most.

I would be surprised if either Janocko or Barone were given any serious consideration to stay on as OL coach, and I hope getting a top OL coach is as high a priority as getting a top offensive coordinator for the Vikings early this off-season.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/1/9/18163609/vikings-off-season-evaluation-offensive-line

I hope this is true. Completely true.

Plus, if Stefanski/offense do well ... we will possibly be looking for a new OC in 2020.

We would do well to bring in a solid pure (Grimm please) OLC for the long term, and a QB coach with OC experience to MAYBE plug in later on...

(not to mention if the team strikes out twice with new OC talent evals)

I doubt it. Grimm retired last month. There was some speculation that maybe Mularkey could draw him out of retirement to coach alongside him, but if that's going to happen, it'll be in Atlanta.
Post #: 2210
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 3:00:39 PM   
bongbong

quote:

Agree. Anything to make them less like this year's 85 replica.

Is Fangio a Zimmer 2.0? Long tenure as assistant or DC, passed over forever before 1st head coaching gig in the AARP years.
Post #: 2211
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 3:33:57 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I like Stepanski coming back.

Interesting take was the Vikes wanted to act fast as the Broncos or other team would bring in Stepanski....Keenum/Stepanski were very close last year and Fangio is the next coach for Denver.

Continuity from last season doesn’t do a lot for me ... so although we won’t fall on our face with another Flipper debacle ... we have gone the safe route over hotting for the fences.

OL coach will possibly now have the bigger impact on the franchise next season (than OC Fancy).

If we stay with Barone, I will be sorely disappointed.

I think that Stepanski is a good pick and he deserves a shot. I bet the Broncos were looking at him too...they may bring back Kubiak.

That's no shocker, you being a glass half full kind of dude.

But their is little evidence how he will playcall, execute gameplans, and most importantly, make in game adjustments against good defenses and seasoned DCs.

Phil is a 100% glass ALWAYS full kind of dude.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 2212
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 3:41:19 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Interesting take was the Vikes wanted to act fast as the Broncos or other team would bring in Stepanski....Keenum/Stepanski were very close last year and Fangio is the next coach for Denver.

Continuity from last season doesn’t do a lot for me ... so although we won’t fall on our face with another Flipper debacle ... we have gone the safe route over hotting for the fences.

OL coach will possibly now have the bigger impact on the franchise next season (than OC Fancy).

I think that Stepanski is a good pick and he deserves a shot. I bet the Broncos were looking at him too...they may bring back Kubiak.

But their is little evidence how he will playcall, execute gameplans, and most importantly, make in game adjustments against good defenses and seasoned DCs.

You're right, but it is a small sample size, four games? With Dipshit Flip's playbook. He now gets to install his own playbook and call it his way. He's getting the job because he is on the same page as Zimmer regarding what should be called.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2213
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 4:15:45 PM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You're right, but it is a small sample size, four games? With Dipshit Flip's playbook. He now gets to install his own playbook and call it his way. He's getting the job because he is on the same page as Zimmer regarding what should be called.

Your analysis is over simplified. He was a finalist in Cleveland, based upon his experiences. He has long tenure with the Vikes and has survived several head caching changes. He is familiar with the players strengths and weaknesses and can design offenses and plays to fit them. He did a credible job with someone else's play book. He agrees witch the boss on how the offense should work. He is viewed as an up and coming assistant, since he potentially had offers last year amd maybe could have received an offer from Denver or elsewhere. These things can't be sneezed at. The real key is to finding the right line coach and an improved line and a top tier tight end.
Post #: 2214
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 4:15:52 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: bongbong

quote:

Is Fangio a Zimmer 2.0? Long tenure as assistant or DC, passed over forever before 1st head coaching gig in the AARP years.

This year's Bears defense was good, but not in the same stratosphere as '85.
Post #: 2215
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 4:16:48 PM   
Pager

I thought Flip "inherited" Shumurs playbook and made modifications. He kept same terminology to simply things, etc.

I didn't think they did a complete rebuild.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2216
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 7:16:54 PM   
Ragnarök

https://thevikingage.com/2019/01/09/minnesota-vikings-treadwell-raiders-2019/

A recent article suggests that the disappointing Minnesota Vikings wide receiver could possibly have some interest from the Oakland Raiders this offseason.
Post #: 2217
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 7:21:54 PM   
Todd M

A 5th would be a good get. Maybe the Raiders do a 4th because they have a lot of walking around money and won't be as attached to the smaller coin.
Post #: 2218
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 7:26:23 PM   
Todd M

To be able to peak into the universe where Teddy's knee wasn't destroyed.
Post #: 2219
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 7:26:42 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

A 5th would be a good get. Maybe the Raiders do a 4th because they have a lot of walking around money and won't be as attached to the smaller coin.

Mayock who is now Raiders GM was in love with Tread in draft grades...

That said a 7th to get him off the books would be a windfall at this point!
Post #: 2220
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 7:52:28 PM   
Ragnarök

In 2018, Diggs and Thielen combined for 215 catches, 2,394 yards, and 18 scores.

Minnesota hasn’t seen such a high level performance from two receivers in the same year for quite awhile. In fact, Diggs and Thielen are the first Vikings pass catchers in team history to each gain over 1,000 yards and haul in at least 100 passes in the same season.

That is something to build on for 2019

Ditch Tread for a bag of chips if anyone will take him off our hands!

Beef up OL with Saffold, FA from Rams and best 2 interior rookies in draft one early, one mid...

Get Kirk the athletic pass catching TE he needs as a true outlet that can get YAC and run legit routes...

Take a flier on home town ball boy Fitz for a fun experiment at WR 3 and some veteran presence with a nice welcome home feel. He has made a fortune in AZ, let him give back to hometown on a vet min bringing his career full circle type thing!

Trim some fat from the underwhelming D and apply it to the approx 11.5 Mil we have under cap to sign some second tier back up depth across the board.

Let Zimmer do more with a bit less of the bloated high priced D line and secondary... Ditch the human miss-le, possibly Barr and Griff, make some tough cuts and show young guys its their time to be coached up... Keep Zimm busy with coaching up the D where he belongs and nose out of micromanaging the O so much... Also please get him an assistant that sit up top and yells down at him on clock management and time out/ challenge game time situations!

Buy Kirk a nice set of wireless headphones and get him some relaxing music to listen to on the sidelines to keep him less uptight and in the receivers faces after each series... Dude needs to relax and not be wound so tight, find some fun in it all and if need be get him a top notch QB coach that can be a handler type for him as he comes to sidelines to calm and focus the dude... Passionate is one thing but geeze chillax a bit Kirk, you have a tremendous pair of WRs, trust in them and do your job...

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 1/9/2019 8:02:09 PM >
Post #: 2221
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 8:19:11 PM   
kwheats

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

11. Minnesota Vikings

I'd rather not dedicate 2M to a backup AND the Roster Spot. Sloter should be the #2 and we should have a guy on the P.S. Our run defense against the Bears could have used Perry. Or Gosset getting sniped from P.S. Both were potential uses for the 3rd QB roster spot.

Bingo!!!
Post #: 2222
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 8:25:01 PM   
bongbong

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: bongbong

quote:

This year's Bears defense was good, but not in the same stratosphere as '85.

Yes, pardon my hyperbole, but they sure kicked our ass. (Even though I want to blame Treadwell for that game 1 pick-six.) Imagine when Roquan Smith gets more experience under his belt. Have to think Fangio deserves some credit so hopefully they miss him next year. If so, I doubt Trubisky can pick up the slack. Bores will have a short reign.
Post #: 2223
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 8:32:29 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

Excellent karma
And I bet he acted like an ass on the way out as well.
Quit giving that p.o.s. a job, NFL .....

Love it!
Post #: 2224
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/9/2019 8:56:03 PM   
Ragnarök

The Packers have granted Joe Philbin permission to interview for the offensive line job with the Vikings, Bob McGinn of bobmcginnfootball.com reports.

The Vikings are seeking a permanent replacement for Tony Sparano, who died of heart disease last July.

Philbin spent 10 years in Green Bay in two different stints, including serving as offensive coordinator for 12 games this season and four games as interim head coach after the Packers fired Mike McCarthy.

He was the Dolphins’ head coach from 2012-15.

Philbin has experience as an offensive line coach, having held that job previously in Green Bay and Indianapolis as well as the college ranks.

Exact kind of guy we need as OL coach with OC experience and verteran leadership skills...

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 1/9/2019 8:57:25 PM >
Post #: 2225
Page:   <<   < prev  87 88 [89] 90 91   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  87 88 [89] 90 91   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode