Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 11:32:32 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

New York paper said Belichick told Theilen to Shut the F$&! Up.

We are doing end zone choreography and they are doing whatever it takes to win.

Interacting with the other team's coach isn't a good look regardless of the circumstances.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 201
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 11:33:42 AM   
Mark Anderson

Last year we had a 50/50 pass run ratio. We were 14-4.

This year we are 70/30 pass to run and we are 6-5-1.

Is our schedule tougher? Yes. But we aren't built to throw it around 50 times a game. Not with this OLine.
Post #: 202
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 11:34:53 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

Interacting with the other team's coach isn't a good look regardless of the circumstances.

If Brady told Zimmer to STFU, this place would be in love with him.
Post #: 203
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 12:22:33 PM   
Todd M

I'm trying to see how people are banging on Zim bc he says we're not running enough. We aren't. And sure there have been games where we weren't running for shit so it would have been banging our heads against the wall. Yesterday was not that day. We. Did. Not. Run. Enough. Period.
Post #: 204
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 12:23:20 PM   
drviking

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/03/vikings-abandoned-the-run-like-no-other-team-all-season/

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 205
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 12:27:00 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I'm trying to see how people are banging on Zim bc he says we're not running enough. We aren't. And sure there have been games where we weren't running for shit so it would have been banging our heads against the wall. Yesterday was not that day. We. Did. Not. Run. Enough. Period.

When you have two holding calls (1st and 20 and 2nd and 20) running isn't a great option. When you're down 14, running isn't a great option. Running up the gut, when it hasn't worked all year - esp on short down and distance, isn't a great option.

I thought the outside runs, getting cook in space, in the first half, was fantastic. If that's what Zimmer means, I'm all for it. I interpret his comments differently tho.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 206
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 12:30:39 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

When you have two holding calls (1st and 20 and 2nd and 20) running isn't a great option. When you're down 14, running isn't a great option. Running up the gut, when it hasn't worked all year - esp on short down and distance, isn't a great option.

I thought the outside runs, getting cook in space, in the first half, was fantastic. If that's what Zimmer means, I'm all for it. I interpret his comments differently tho.

When it's 1st and 20 and 3 passes leave you 3rd and long that is not great either. Maybe Cook rips one for 12+...
Post #: 207
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 12:32:39 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

Don't you mean if Zimmer told Brady to STFU this place would be in love with him? In love with Zimmer?

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 208
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 12:36:04 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

When it's 1st and 20 and 3 passes leave you 3rd and long that is not great either. Maybe Cook rips one for 12+...

Maybe. Imagine the board if we are running on 1st and 20? I don't mind mixing in a run in those situations. Ultimately, I think the goal is to pick up 7 yards down 1 and 2 to get to a third and long but manageable. Teams are looking for screens in that situation, so I don't mind avoiding those. Overall I don't have a huge issue with these situations and playcalling - the odds of converting are pretty small ( My issue is Compton getting all the f****** holding calls in the first place).

But beyond that, the time a team runs the most is when you're up in the 4th quarter. We've had 6 games where we are trailing in the 4th. That depresses the number of run attempts more than anything else.

< Message edited by Pager -- 12/3/2018 12:37:10 PM >

Post #: 209
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 12:48:05 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Run/pass, pass/run....I don't give a S. When it's 3rd and 14, down 2 TD's and you run a 2 yard slant route with your slowest WR....THAT I have a big problem with.
Post #: 210
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 1:36:34 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Run/pass, pass/run....I don't give a S. When it's 3rd and 14, down 2 TD's and you run a 2 yard slant route with your slowest WR....THAT I have a big problem with.

Yes.

When Cook is gaining 12 yards a touch in the 1st Half and only gets 4 touches in the 2nd Half, that's a problem. Run/Pass, who cares? Get him the ball in space. (FLIP)

Bad game by Capt Kirk; on that early sack that killed a drive and Aikman called a "coverage sack", both Diggs and Thielen were WIDE OPEN!

Why are we ever counting on Treadwell in big moments, let alone any moments?
Ludicrous to even have him on the field there.
Post #: 211
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 1:43:54 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

Yes.

When Cook is gaining 12 yards a touch in the 1st Half and only gets 4 touches in the 2nd Half, that's a problem. Run/Pass, who cares? Get him the ball in space. (FLIP)

Bad game by Capt Kirk; on that early sack that killed a drive and Aikman called a "coverage sack", both Diggs and Thielen were WIDE OPEN!

RB/outlet open too.

Agree with all points.

Post #: 212
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 1:45:06 PM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/03/vikings-abandoned-the-run-like-no-other-team-all-season/

It has been apparent all season that DeFilippo has no strategy behind his play calling. No run to set up the pass, no game plan to exploit an opponents weakness, just no cohesion whatsoever. Hopefully he's gone next year and whoever the Vikings find to replace him will have a history as an OC and will have proven that he knows how to game plan, and then execute an offensive philosophy.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 213
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 1:46:25 PM   
Jeff Allen

They don't run as much because they aren't as good at it as they were last year. Duh.
Post #: 214
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 1:54:35 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Peter King just said what we've been saying for years. Our Line is horrific. He said "buy the best one available, any position in FA, and 2 out of the first 3 picks".
Post #: 215
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 2:14:57 PM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Allen

They don't run as much because they aren't as good at it as they were last year. Duh.

Very true. Of course, they still abandoned the run last night, even though Cook was having a great game.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 216
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 2:15:11 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

Don't you mean if Zimmer told Brady to STFU this place would be in love with him? In love with Zimmer?

No. I don't mean that.
Post #: 217
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 2:20:14 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Pretty sure that isn't what DeFlip had in mind. Diggs and Thielen were both going past marker.

Cousins panicked when he saw pressure coming and threw a chicken shyt pass.
Post #: 218
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 2:23:56 PM   
marty

You won't see Brady chicken$hit a pass very often.

Put Brady behind that OL, Cousins playing with NE, and the score is likely the same score, Brady's team winning.

The key is a very quick, and accurate release and throw.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 219
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 2:29:48 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

Yes.

RB/outlet open too.

Agree with all points.

RB outlet seemed open (Cook 8 REC) but only gained 22 yds. NE tackled well on those plays.

Seemed to me that Belichick dared us to run the ball (we hurt them when we did), and focused on taking away Thielen-Diggs-Rudy (5-5-3 RECs respectively, albeit with some interference no calls). I also would have kept feeding Robinson the ball until they adjusted.

So we should have run Cook more the first three quarters (Cook 9.3 YPC). No question, that's what NE gave us. That's a lot different than universally running the ball more, as Zim keeps championing ... we simply do not have the OL to be a run heavy team. And Cook would not hold up anyway.
Post #: 220
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 2:33:30 PM   
marty

Chicago might bench their starters, let Minnesota win, so they get Minnesota at home the first playoff game, instead of Seattle or Carolina, Wahsington or Philly.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 221
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 3:11:04 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Chicago might bench their starters, let Minnesota win, so they get Minnesota at home the first playoff game, instead of Seattle or Carolina, Wahsington or Philly.

True, the Bears might have little to play for.

The question is, does 9-6-1 get you in?

That is why they need to win @NE or @Seattle.
Post #: 222
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 3:29:30 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

True, the Bears might have little to play for.

The question is, does 9-6-1 get you in?

That is why they need to win @NE or @Seattle.

Bears will lose to Rams. If we beat SEA, and I think we will, division is still in play.

I think 8-7-1 might be enough. Carolina is falling apart and still has to play NO 2x.
Redskins without Smith are done.
Eagles might make a push, but have no secondary.
That leaves us and Seattle. Or am I missing anyone?

Post #: 223
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 3:40:52 PM   
David Levine

Cross-posting this:

Minnesota gave up on Daniel Carlson after two games and three missed kicks against the Packers, wilting under the pressure of a franchise cursed with kicking woes and releasing the rookie they traded up to get in this past year's NFL Draft.

The move has been a disaster.

Carlson has made 9-of-10 field goals with the Raiders – including a game-winner on the road against Arizona – and is a perfect 7-of-7 on extra points. Things are good for the rookie, not so much for the guy the Vikings replaced him with.

Billed as one of the most accurate kickers in NFL history, Dan Bailey has made just 72.9 percent (16-of-22) of his field goals with the Vikings – the lowest percentage among all NFL kickers with at least 15 attempts.

His six misses are the second-most in the NFL, trailing only Mason Crosby of the Packers, who has one more miss on seven more attempts (75.9 percent).

Bailey's latest miss was a 48-yarder he hooked wide left in the first quarter of Minnesota's loss to the Patriots. He's now 3-of-7 on kicks from 40-49 yards this season, a miserable statistic from a range that he had missed just five times from in his entire career before joining the Vikings.

Maybe it's time to accept as fact that Vikings kickers are cursed, or that whoever is in charge of hiring kickers has no idea what they're do. We're looking at you, special teams coordinator, Mike Priefer.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sports/vikings-dan-bailey-is-statistically-one-of-the-worst-kickers-in-the-nfl
Post #: 224
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/3/2018 3:44:48 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Oline was much better last yr.

2017 Reif > 2018 Reif
Easton > Compton
2017 Elf > 2018 Elf pls jones
Berger >>>> Remmers

Only position better is Oneil vs Remmers. Hill played too many snaps at RT tho so I'll call that a wash.

Some of the statements on here are just outlandish.

Great summation.
Post #: 225
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode