Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  93 94 [95] 96 97   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 12:16:07 PM   
marty

FWIW Zimmer does have a ring. With the cowboys as a dB coach.

This is true, but NOT as a defensive coordinator, never won a playoff game as a DC.

That is why I would favor making Zimmer a defensive backs coach, and bring in a new head coach, NOT make Zimmer a defensive coordinator. George Edwards is a better DC than Zimmer, more aggressive.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2351
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 12:19:52 PM   
marty

What Smith said about playing nasty is true, and might lead to winning one playoff game. Then you lose the next week to a team that also plays nasty, but outschemes you.

Players can overcome poor coaching with miracle plays, but it usually only gets you so far. Got the Vikes to Philly last year, and they were really close to beating Philly.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2352
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 12:44:09 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

After Saffold, it is very slim pickings.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2019G.php

Mark Glowinski might be the best available guy to hit the market. His PFF ranking is above average (69.7) But he was not good in Seattle. Took over starting job game 6 for Indy. Indy has a ton of cap space so if they want him back, they have the resources. it would take a massive overpay to get him imo. On a side note, Indy has 140M in cap space and won a playoff game, franchise QB.

After Glow, a lot of average/old/or simply bad options.

Our best bet might be to trade for NE Ted Karras (RFA). But he's never been a starter. Would have to probably give up a third. But desperate times.....

If we can get an OL coach who can actually make individual linemen and the group better, then it is not slim pickings.

Every year young players get released for a myriad of reasons. It's the job of the front office and the coaches to identify them and coach them to be better.

It's the same with the draft.... John Randle, Theilen, RFA Anthony Harris, all undrafted. Or Diggs in the 5th. Yes, they are a minority percentage, but so what.

Go find the players with potential, sign them, and coach them.
Post #: 2353
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 12:48:03 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Early on, I posted about a trade down-trade up scenario where we get at least two high second rounders. That hinges of course on the number of acceptable prospects. Trouble is, our OL need is so bad that another unexpected "run" on OL that catches Spielman off guard is just not worth the risk. Stay put or at the most trade down 1-2 spots if you are assured the prospects will be there and they are all but equally ranked.

I would still love OL - 21st century TE - OL.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/13/2019 12:49:22 PM >
Post #: 2354
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 1:30:51 PM  1 votes
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

This is true, but NOT as a defensive coordinator, never won a playoff game as a DC.

That is why I would favor making Zimmer a defensive backs coach, and bring in a new head coach, NOT make Zimmer a defensive coordinator. George Edwards is a better DC than Zimmer, more aggressive.

That post just moved your David Boston posts up 1 on the Marty All Time Post rankings.
Post #: 2355
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 1:43:51 PM   
CPAMAN

Patriots are absolutely embarrassing the Chargers. NE is everything the Vikings are not.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 2356
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 1:58:28 PM   
Bill Jandro

The Patriots aren't even human. their machines.

Seriously, how does Belichek do it year in year out?

Other than an aging Brady, Gronk and Gilmore just a bunch of joes.

< Message edited by Bill Jandro -- 1/13/2019 2:06:35 PM >

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2357
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 2:05:56 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

Mark Glowinski might be the best available guy to hit the market. His PFF ranking is above average (69.7) But he was not good in Seattle. Took over starting job game 6 for Indy. Indy has a ton of cap space so if they want him back, they have the resources. it would take a massive overpay to get him imo. On a side note, Indy has 140M in cap space and won a playoff game, franchise QB.

Our best bet might be to trade for NE Ted Karras (RFA). But he's never been a starter. Would have to probably give up a third. But desperate times.....

If we can get an OL coach who can actually make individual linemen and the group better, then it is not slim pickings.

Every year young players get released for a myriad of reasons. It's the job of the front office and the coaches to identify them and coach them to be better.

It's the same with the draft.... John Randle, Theilen, RFA Anthony Harris, all undrafted. Or Diggs in the 5th. Yes, they are a minority percentage, but so what.

C'mon Bill. Do you really think an Oline challenged GM is going to somehow unearth some good olineman in the non-traditional fashion?

Post #: 2358
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 2:08:02 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

That post just moved your David Boston posts up 1 on the Marty All Time Post rankings.

Perhaps we should keep a file of the all-time twilight zone Marty posts

Post #: 2359
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 2:11:39 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Early on, I posted about a trade down-trade up scenario where we get at least two high second rounders. That hinges of course on the number of acceptable prospects. Trouble is, our OL need is so bad that another unexpected "run" on OL that catches Spielman off guard is just not worth the risk. Stay put or at the most trade down 1-2 spots if you are assured the prospects will be there and they are all but equally ranked.

I would still love OL - 21st century TE - OL.

I haven't got bored enough to start studying the draft prospects. But we seriously need a high end G somehow someway.

I'd start courting Saffold asap even if the rules get bent.

Post #: 2360
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 2:14:57 PM   
Bill Jandro

Flowers with a sack and flag

Rivers dodged a bullet. Cant buckle a qb's knees like that

Glad he's ok

Post #: 2361
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 2:16:20 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

Patriots are absolutely embarrassing the Chargers. NE is everything the Vikings are not.

As is 30 other teams

Post #: 2362
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 2:40:52 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

C'mon Bill. Do you really think an Oline challenged GM is going to somehow unearth some good olineman in the non-traditional fashion?

If this option was so easy, most teams would have a good oline and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2363
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 3:03:19 PM   
jbusse

When we desperately needed to draft a QB in 2014, Spielman took Barr first. Based on that precedent, I’d say BPA is a good possibility this year as well, even given the OL situation.
Post #: 2364
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 3:09:29 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

When we desperately needed to draft a QB in 2014, Spielman took Barr first. Based on that precedent, I’d say BPA is a good possibility this year as well, even given the OL situation.

His job wasn't on the line as much as it is now.

Of course it's Rick, so all bets are off.

I would also think it depends on if they are able to make other moves prior to the draft.

Post #: 2365
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 3:25:06 PM   
marty

The idea that Zimmer's best place might be as a 2ndary coach is a twilight zone idea to someone ?

I didn't quite understand your David Boston reference bigo, was that actually a compliment ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2366
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 3:39:18 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

I would also think it depends on if they are able to make other moves prior to the draft.

You're right in that BPA is often thought of as the best long-term strategy. Unclear how long Spielman has left.
Post #: 2367
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 3:49:53 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Damn, Philly comes out and bitch slaps the Saints right out of the gate
Post #: 2368
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 3:54:55 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

I don't like either team, so I hope they spend the entire afternoon beating the hell out of each other.
Post #: 2369
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 3:56:56 PM   
Jeff Jesser

The only team I don't hate that's left is KC but I hear ya. I'm all for a meteor hitting that dome right about now.
Post #: 2370
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 4:15:36 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

You're right in that BPA is often thought of as the best long-term strategy. Unclear how long Spielman has left.

Exactly, more eloquently put than I was able to.

< Message edited by Pager -- 1/13/2019 4:19:12 PM >

Post #: 2371
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 4:18:09 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

quote:

I don't like either team, so I hope they spend the entire afternoon beating the hell out of each other.

The Vikings ignited the Eagles pilot light.

Post #: 2372
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 4:19:34 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

As much the Bears and Nagy.

Post #: 2373
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 4:25:02 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

As much the Bears and Nagy.

Them also.

Post #: 2374
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/13/2019 5:57:27 PM   
Jeff Jesser

The Eagles are going to lose this game and it all started with the (IMO, obvious) fake punt. You knew SP wasn't going to go away quietly. That guy is the anti-zimmer. He's aggressive as hell. Honest to God, I looked at my wife as they lined up and said "it's a fake". Nothing about the formation/personnel ect....it was the situation.

Zimmer punts there 100% of the time and we get blown out. I like Zimmer, think he's done some great things but he's not meant for this NFL. Sadly.
Post #: 2375
Page:   <<   < prev  93 94 [95] 96 97   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  93 94 [95] 96 97   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode