Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2019 Free Agents

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2019 Free Agents Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/19/2019 7:06:34 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

The switch from T to G is tricky. Remmers couldn't handle the switch just from his inability to play lower. Reiff coming from LT could have the same issue. He plays upright and is more geared to back paddling in the pass block.

Bushrod from the Saints was also a failure at moving inside and then cut by his previous team.

quote:

As far as Easton, he not only had the neck injury all of last year but missed the last 4 games of 2017 with a fractured ankle. So there's a lot of rust, not just the health.

I think Easton will be ok provided he is healthy enough to participate in TC and PS

< Message edited by Bill Jandro -- 2/19/2019 7:09:08 AM >

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 101
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/19/2019 9:07:12 PM   
kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

The switch from T to G is tricky. Remmers couldn't handle the switch just from his inability to play lower. Reiff coming from LT could have the same issue. He plays upright and is more geared to back paddling in the pass block.

Bushrod from the Saints was also a failure at moving inside and then cut by his previous team.

quote:

As far as Easton, he not only had the neck injury all of last year but missed the last 4 games of 2017 with a fractured ankle. So there's a lot of rust, not just the health.

I think Easton will be ok provided he is healthy enough to participate in TC and PS

Not saying that I’d like to count on them, but Easton actually fits really well into Dennison’s new blocking scheme, As does Elflein if they both get healthy?
Post #: 102
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/21/2019 8:56:13 AM   
Jason Dorn

https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/2/20/18232923/report-denver-likely-to-let-matt-paradis-test-free-agency

Let the games begin. Skol.

Skol ... Vikings can win the Super Bowl.
Post #: 103
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/21/2019 9:20:38 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not saying that I’d like to count on them, but Easton actually fits really well into Dennison’s new blocking scheme, As does Elflein if they both get healthy?

great...so let's continue to load up and get better/deeper...o-linemen = sign free agents and draft early....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 104
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/21/2019 9:22:32 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

easton is not going to sign a minimum deal...the question is going to be; do we trust his health?....

Post #: 105
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/21/2019 9:28:58 AM   
TJSweens

The other issue I have with Easton is that even when he was healthy, he was better at getting to the second level than he was blocking at the first level. I am not saying no to Easton. Replacing Remmers with a quality G is the higher priority. The bottom line is that the Vikings need to drastically improve their blocking along the interior line. We need guys who can get initial push AND get to the second level on run blocking. Even more important, we absolutely have to have guys who can hold the point of attack in the middle and not get pushed back faster than Cousins can back pedal like last year.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 2/21/2019 9:33:44 AM >

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it.
Post #: 106
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/21/2019 11:19:25 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

The other issue I have with Easton is that even when he was healthy, he was better at getting to the second level than he was blocking at the first level. I am not saying no to Easton. Replacing Remmers with a quality G is the higher priority. The bottom line is that the Vikings need to drastically improve their blocking along the interior line. We need guys who can get initial push AND get to the second level on run blocking. Even more important, we absolutely have to have guys who can hold the point of attack in the middle and not get pushed back faster than Cousins can back pedal like last year.

I don't think there is any way he doesn't get a low risk prove it deal (at lower than avg. starter money). From us or someone else. He was versatile and overall okay and, before his injury, a step up from Compton, Jones, Witszman, Andrews. I think we will do it, a short deal with incentives, maybe an extra year or two longer than he would get from other teams (if there is a market for him). But low risk.

I have no problem if the plan is to work him in slowly (a decent back-up G/C would make him really valuable). If gets back on his horse really fast, great – let him compete fairly through training camp and the preseason with another veteran and/or draft pick for a starting position.

If our plan is to sign him to start – at the exclusion of another FA/draft pick ... that doesn't work.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 2/21/2019 11:20:44 AM >
Post #: 107
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/21/2019 11:23:08 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Dorn

https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/2/20/18232923/report-denver-likely-to-let-matt-paradis-test-free-agency

Let the games begin. Skol.

"Benjamin Allbright also spoke to the Paradis situation today (starting around the 3:00 mark) on Orange & Blue 760’s 1st & 10 at 10. Allbright stated that Denver had offered Paradis a contract all the way back at the beginning of the season, but, as Denver has been known to do, Paradis felt like they gave him an extremely low-ball offer. “He felt insulted by it. Didn’t even counter.”

He's ours for the taking.
Post #: 108
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/21/2019 12:20:47 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

easton is not going to sign a minimum deal...the question is going to be; do we trust his health?....

I doubt he gets much more than that.

An undrafted FA that has been traded for a 7th round pick and then again for a 6th, hasn't really distinguished himself on the field at all, and has ended the past 2 seasons on IR.

He's likely going to get a 1 year contract for very little money.
Post #: 109
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/21/2019 1:43:09 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

I doubt he gets much more than that.

An undrafted FA that has been traded for a 7th round pick and then again for a 6th, hasn't really distinguished himself on the field at all, and has ended the past 2 seasons on IR.

He's likely going to get a 1 year contract for very little money.

I hope yoou’re right...last season he cost $3m....

Post #: 110
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/21/2019 2:34:32 PM   
Bruce Johnson

My sense is that free agency is a bigger deal than the draft this year for the Vikings. They have to make some big decisions.

Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. (Helen Keller)
Post #: 111
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/21/2019 2:36:29 PM   
Bill Jandro

I think you guys are underestimating how good Easton is.

Our Oline went down the toilet when he got hurt late in the 2017 season. Might speak to our extreme lack of depth too.

But he seems like a player whom was on the rise. If healthy we definitely should keep him.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 112
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/21/2019 2:54:43 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Our Oline went down the toilet when he got hurt late in the 2017 season. Might speak to our extreme lack of depth too.

But he seems like a player whom was on the rise. If healthy we definitely should keep him.

I think it had more to do with a complete lack of quality depth. I like Easton, but in 2 straight years he has demonstrated an inability to stay healthy. If we keep him, we better add quality depth at the position.

Baseball must be a wonderful game to survive the fools who run it.
Post #: 113
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/21/2019 3:16:39 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

I think it had more to do with a complete lack of quality depth. I like Easton, but in 2 straight years he has demonstrated an inability to stay healthy. If we keep him, we better add quality depth at the position.

Can't roll the dice with more than one of the three interior spots. If we think Elf can start, we need to sign at least two players who can credibly start/not suck. My thinking, as stated, is to sign Paradis and someone like Spain, draft an interior OL fairly high, and let Spain (or similar player)/Elf/Easton/draft pick compete for the two OG slots. I'm not totally opposed to the Reiff move to OG because I have no idea if he can play the spot or what the plan would be at the tackle spots, but I'm skeptical of adding moving parts to an already complicated restructuring.

Give Zimmer the run game he's demanded and hold him accountable.
Post #: 114
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/21/2019 5:08:21 PM   
Jason Dorn

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/2017.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/2018.htm Scroll down to team stats and rankings

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/ruhttps://

Vikes went from 2nd in rush attempts in 2017 to 27th in 2018 and 7th overall to 30th this season. From 21st - 6th in pass att and 11th- 13th overall in passing yards.

I see why Zimmer is demanding a run game. Statistically a much more efficient pass offense in 2017 vs 2018 less attempts, higher league ranking in yards, less turnovers, and less sacks 27 vs 40.

8 of the top 11 teams in rush yards made the playoffs in 2018. 7 of the top ten rush offense made the playoffs in 2017.

7 of the top 11 pass offense made playoffs in 2017. 6 of the top ten pass offenses made playoffs in 2018.

2016 25th in rush att and 32nd in yards. 2015 4th and 4th. 2014 18th and 14th. 11th, 4th, 32nd, 23rd, and 25th in yds/att

Give Kirk the 2017 or 2015 rush offense and they wont tee off having to actually respect the run. Come on RS hit home runs on OL this season .

I mean this- Kirk will get it done if the Vikings improve both the run game and pass protection- guy has a fricking gun with accuracy, reduce the pressure in the pocket and see what happens if he can trust his protection. The relaxed Kirk Cousins! Domination required for 2019 ... Super Bowl win or bust! Skol!

Skol ... Vikings can win the Super Bowl.
Post #: 115
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/21/2019 6:53:04 PM   
Tom Sykes

From the Daily Norseman

Sean Borman
@SeanBoarMan
Interesting nugget from #Vikings O-line coach Rick Dennison on the team's current linemen: "There's plenty of talent on the team... I don't think there has to be that much change."

Edit: not sure this is real. I see Dennison quoted nowhere else.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 2/21/2019 6:58:34 PM >
Post #: 116
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/21/2019 6:57:54 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

From the Daily Norseman

Sean Borman
@SeanBoarMan
Interesting nugget from #Vikings O-line coach Rick Dennison on the team's current linemen: "There's plenty of talent on the team... I don't think there has to be that much change."

Pretty much a stock comment from an incoming coach
Post #: 117
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/21/2019 7:02:00 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

From the Daily Norseman

Sean Borman
@SeanBoarMan

Pretty much a stock comment from an incoming coach

I suppose so. Its probably not even a real quote.

Or its armegeddon.
Post #: 118
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/21/2019 7:10:45 PM   
Tom Sykes

https://vikingsterritory.com/2019/general-news/vikings-introduce-2019-coaching-staff

From ST coach Aloof

You don’t want to over-coach,” said Maalouf. “You want to know when to back off and when to approach him and maybe mention one or two things about his footwork or his technique or what his aiming points are and what he’s thinking about prior to the kick. A lot of things in football are muscle memory. You don’t want guys thinking. You want them to go react.”

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 2/21/2019 7:14:45 PM >
Post #: 119
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/21/2019 7:14:06 PM   
Tom Sykes

More from the article:

“Where we want to help out quarterback is… We just want to be unpredictable. We want to be a run team, we want to be a pass team…That’s something that coach [Kubiak] has kind of hung his hat on over the years and that’s gone all the way back to… It’s pretty cool when you’re telling stories and they’re linking all the way back to Bill Walsh.”

Stefanski said he hopes the offense looks a little bit different week-to-week.

------------------------------------------------

Please make it so.
Post #: 120
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/21/2019 7:34:01 PM   
thebigo

quote:

More from the article:

“Where we want to help out quarterback is… We just want to be unpredictable. We want to be a run team, we want to be a pass team…That’s something that coach [Kubiak] has kind of hung his hat on over the years and that’s gone all the way back to… It’s pretty cool when you’re telling stories and they’re linking all the way back to Bill Walsh.”

Please make it so.

Pretty much stock quotes from a new OC provided (saddled?) with an Offensive Advisor.
Post #: 121
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/21/2019 7:46:28 PM   
Todd M

I guess it all seems cool enough. As long as there isn't a too many cooks thing going on and it's just more eyes and what do I care as long as we do better.

This would seem to give Zim a chance to really zero focus in on putting the D together in his best job saving fashion.

We're in a pretty good place and are about to see what is added to that over the next couple of months.
Post #: 122
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/21/2019 8:15:05 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

More from the article:

Please make it so.

Pretty much stock quotes from a new OC provided (saddled?) with an Offensive Advisor.

Yes, coachspeak. It does beat the hell out of the stock out-of-context fan quotes in here about Zim’s Dinosaur run attack.

It might not be any more accurate ... we shall see. Atleast its from the source.
Post #: 123
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/21/2019 8:22:29 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Dorn

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/2017.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/2018.htm Scroll down to team stats and rankings

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/ruhttps://

Vikes went from 2nd in rush attempts in 2017 to 27th in 2018 and 7th overall to 30th this season. From 21st - 6th in pass att and 11th- 13th overall in passing yards.

I see why Zimmer is demanding a run game. Statistically a much more efficient pass offense in 2017 vs 2018 less attempts, higher league ranking in yards, less turnovers, and less sacks 27 vs 40.

8 of the top 11 teams in rush yards made the playoffs in 2018. 7 of the top ten rush offense made the playoffs in 2017.

7 of the top 11 pass offense made playoffs in 2017. 6 of the top ten pass offenses made playoffs in 2018.

2016 25th in rush att and 32nd in yards. 2015 4th and 4th. 2014 18th and 14th. 11th, 4th, 32nd, 23rd, and 25th in yds/att

Give Kirk the 2017 or 2015 rush offense and they wont tee off having to actually respect the run. Come on RS hit home runs on OL this season .

I mean this- Kirk will get it done if the Vikings improve both the run game and pass protection- guy has a fricking gun with accuracy, reduce the pressure in the pocket and see what happens if he can trust his protection. The relaxed Kirk Cousins! Domination required for 2019 ... Super Bowl win or bust! Skol!

I agree, Jason. We have a QB who is good in play action and is not very nimble, so a line that can run block and protect at least to average levels would set him up well. I'm really hoping the Kubiak Klan brings a structure and scheme that Stefanski can operate within.
Post #: 124
RE: 2019 Free Agents - 2/22/2019 10:29:21 AM   
The Happy Norseman

From SI's 100 top FA's. OL and TE's:

14. Mitch Morse (27), C, Kansas City
Few things bring dimension to an offense like injecting mobility at center. A guy like Morse can expand your running game and backfield screen game.

20. Rodger Saffold (30), G, L.A. Rams
Like the Rams’ entire offensive line, he was better in the first three quarters of last season than he was down the stretch. That will concern some teams given that he turns 31 in June. Smart teams will still pursue Saffold—with more high-level defensive tackles than ever, strong guard play has become critical.

26. Trent Brown (26), OT, New England
The NFL’s largest man moves better than most left tackles, in both the run game and pass game.

32. Jared Cook (32), TE, Oakland
He’s at his best as a detached receiver by himself on the weak side of the formation. Not every team uses its tight end like this, but the ones that do tend to flourish.

37. Demetrius Harris (27), TE, Kansas City
He’s a three-down player who can align almost anywhere in the formation. He was understandably overshadowed by Travis Kelce in Kansas City but can be a 55-catch contributor as someone’s No. 1 tight end.

42. Matt Paradis (29), C, Denver
He’s a stabilizer who can win with short-area quickness, but wear-and-tear was a concern even before he fractured his fibula last November.

54. Quinton Spain (27), G, Tennessee
He’s inconsistent, but when he’s on, he plays with one of football’s best blends of power and athleticism.

56. Jamon Brown (26), G, N.Y. Giants
He’s a strong-hand enforcer who can move the line of scrimmage

60. James Carpenter (30), G, N.Y. Jets
He’s constricted mostly to north-south movement, which makes him suited for an inside zone-based ground game that features straight double-team blocks.

61. A.J. Cann (27), G, Jacksonville
See “James Carpenter” and magnify the limitations by, say, 15%.

71. Ja’Wuan James (26), RT, Miami
Miami never quite trusted him, but he’d be an upgrade at right tackle for about half the league’s teams.

77. Tyler Eifert (28), TE, Cincinnati
His injury woes obviously make him a major risk, but if he can somehow be the receiver he was when healthy, he changes the face of your offense.

96. Jared Veldheer (31), RT, Denver
The long-armed veteran has missed 15 games over the last three years and isn’t always sound in pass protection, but he’s not someone you must constantly hide and help in your scheme.

Spielman will definitely have viable options to upgrade the line.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 125
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2019 Free Agents Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode