Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2019 NFL Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2019 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/14/2019 7:55:42 PM   
kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-clearly-relying-on-coaching-to-improve-offensive-line/507316932/

Sorry if this was already posted a few weeks ago, but this was a concern of mine as well.

Perhaps getting a Williams, or Ford at #18, and follow up with another OLineman in the 3rd if any of Jordan, Risner, or a stud is falling a bit I’d feel a little better.

Please let’s not fool ourselves into thinking Kline (Or any other interior OLineman currently on our roster) is going to excell for a playoff team.

Both Elflein and Kline have already played well enough on playoff teams, Elf who helped us get to an NFCCG, and Kline who helped the Titans to the playoffs and the Pats to a SB.

They just need to do it again.

Well I certainly have some hope for Elf (Young/ coming off injury)

I seem to recall Alex Boone being in a Super Bowl as well. Didn’t seem to help us much when he came here.

Kline is well removed from those days.

But I’m rooting for the guy.
Post #: 951
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/14/2019 8:50:28 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-clearly-relying-on-coaching-to-improve-offensive-line/507316932/

Sorry if this was already posted a few weeks ago, but this was a concern of mine as well.

Perhaps getting a Williams, or Ford at #18, and follow up with another OLineman in the 3rd if any of Jordan, Risner, or a stud is falling a bit I’d feel a little better.

Please let’s not fool ourselves into thinking Kline (Or any other interior OLineman currently on our roster) is going to excell for a playoff team.

Both Elflein and Kline have already played well enough on playoff teams, Elf who helped us get to an NFCCG, and Kline who helped the Titans to the playoffs and the Pats to a SB.

I seem to recall Alex Boone being in a Super Bowl as well. Didn’t seem to help us much when he came here.

That's a Mr. Fantastic reach for a loose straw. One free agent OL didn't work out so we shouldn't sign another much different FA OL?

Kline is one year away from playing well.

Like you, I am rooting for the guy obviously – but he is joining a new team and playing in a new scheme (like last year when he played poorly) ... so we'll see how it goes.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 4/14/2019 9:03:44 PM >
Post #: 952
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/14/2019 9:02:52 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

Fooled you! And it's 2 weeks after April Fools day!

I will gladly add the foolishness of thinking Elflein and Kline can be decent again – to my regularly scheduled foolishness. Until proven otherwise.
Post #: 953
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/14/2019 9:12:03 PM   
kurt bilben

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's a Mr. Fantastic reach for a loose straw. One free agent OL didn't work out so we shouldn't sign another FA OL?

Like you, I am rooting for the guy obviously – but he is joining a new team and playing in a new scheme (like last year when he played poorly) ... so we'll see how it goes.

Ok Mr Fantastic tell me the last time one of these 2nd/ 3rd teir OLine signings worked out for us? Tom Compton give you that warm and fuzzy feeling as well? Perhaps Mike Remmers? Vlade Ducasse? I’ll give you Riley Reiff at least got us closer to stable at LT.

Because my knees are shaking with joy with your description of our latest signing (Kline)-

“Playing in a new scheme, like he did last year when he played poorly”

They’re obviously putting on the coaches, and can only hope we get at least one Stud out of the draft.

O’Neill appears to be a find, and Elf has some promise I hope/ think.

It will be a huge draft that may have to make or break our season. Hate putting that much on the draft.

The Everson Griffen Zeitler trade that didn’t happen may have been a good fix.
Post #: 954
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/14/2019 9:41:36 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's a Mr. Fantastic reach for a loose straw. One free agent OL didn't work out so we shouldn't sign another FA OL?

Ok Mr Fantastic tell me the last time one of these 2nd/ 3rd teir OLine signings worked out for us? Tom Compton give you that warm and fuzzy feeling as well? Perhaps Mike Remmers? Vlade Ducasse? I’ll give you Riley Reiff at least got us closer to stable at LT.

Because my knees are shaking with joy with your description of our latest signing (Kline)-

“Playing in a new scheme, like he did last year when he played poorly”

They’re obviously putting on the coaches, and can only hope we get at least one Stud out of the draft.

O’Neill appears to be a find, and Elf has some promise I hope/ think.

It will be a huge draft that may have to make or break our season. Hate putting that much on the draft.

The Everson Griffen Zeitler trade that didn’t happen may have been a good fix.

I don't believe Compton or Ducasse were ever accused of playing well on playoff OLs, like Kline. Boone, Remmers(?) and Reiff were signed to first tier FA contracts with inflated expectations, Kline is not that either.

I think you are comparing random dissimilar FA signings to Kline.

He comes to our team as kind of a mutt with both good and bad spots. We'll just have to hope that he landed in the right situation.
Post #: 955
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/14/2019 11:17:39 PM   
Phil Riewer

Ducasse and Compton were league minimum signings... Remmers was an average Tackle contract....Reiff was paid as a top 10 tackle.

Remember the Vikings choose to save money on the Oline....other teams have tried to do it with more success than us. Zimmer is a def coach so it makes sense that they spend more there.....Belichek has done it many seasons.

Kline is getting paid like an average starting guard.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 956
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/15/2019 12:23:22 AM   
Bruce Johnson

It seems that Vikings are trying to build an offensive line unit with quick feet and nimbleness, so I hope that they can be successful completing that with their selections in 11-12 days.

Williams, Taylor and Dillard are my dream choices for that reason at #18, and Chuma Edoga, Isiaah Prince, Dennis Daley, Oli Udoh, Tytus and Howard seems to be a good choice for in later rounds for a mobile tackle.

At guard or center, I like these choices for mobile linemen: Ford (I do believe he would be better inside) Bradbury, Linstrom and McCoy (not necessarily in that order for rounds one or two) and Fred Johnson and Ryan Bates for later.

I'm making my assessments for mobility on this site at CBSSports and also Walter Football which I have posted before, but are not recent articles and probably need to be updated with the rankings.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-draft-ranking-all-33-offensive-linemen-to-know-from-jonah-williams-to-michael-deiter/

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 4/15/2019 11:10:33 AM >

Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. (Helen Keller)
Post #: 957
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/15/2019 10:42:38 PM   
Tom Sykes

So with Sendejo and Iloka moving on, Harris signing a one deal today to hopefully cash in after a good season, and Kearse used more as a special teamer, big nickel guy than tradional Safety ...

We might as well throw S in with the 400 other positions under consideration with our top 4 picks.
Post #: 958
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/15/2019 11:14:50 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

So with Sendejo and Iloka moving on, Harris signing a one deal today to hopefully cash in after a good season, and Kearse used more as a special teamer, big nickel guy than tradional Safety ...

We might as well throw S in with the 400 other positions under consideration with our top 4 picks.

We have been linked to Iowa safety Amani Hooker. Minnesota native.
Post #: 959
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/15/2019 11:39:20 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

If we want another athlete like Mike Hughes, check out S Juan Thornhill from Virginia.
Post #: 960
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/16/2019 1:00:57 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

If we want another athlete like Mike Hughes, check out S Juan Thornhill from Virginia.

I am really not advocating S early but dang, you’re right, Thornhill has tested incredibly well. And he had very good production in college.

I hadnt even bothered reading up on S prospects.

Juan Thornhill, S, Virginia
Height: 6-0. Weight: 205. Arm: 31.50. Hand: 8.50.
40 Time: 4.42.
Bench: 21. Vertical: 44. Broad: 11-9.
Projected Round (2019): 2-3.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 4/16/2019 7:51:41 AM >
Post #: 961
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/16/2019 8:25:39 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I respect Brandt with his evaluations. It seems that we have choices for the o-line. McGovern from Penn State looks interesting to me.

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001026448/article/hot-150-gil-brandts-topranked-prospects-for-2019-nfl-draft?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Danalysis%3Bplyr%3Djoseph_bosa%3Bplyr%3Daaron_donald%3Bplyr%3Djoshua_allen&p.ct=Analysis&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=%23000&p.bgc1m=%23EAEAEA&sr=amp

Post #: 962
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/16/2019 10:55:12 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I respect Brandt with his evaluations. It seems that we have choices for the o-line. McGovern from Penn State looks interesting to me.

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001026448/article/hot-150-gil-brandts-topranked-prospects-for-2019-nfl-draft?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Danalysis%3Bplyr%3Djoseph_bosa%3Bplyr%3Daaron_donald%3Bplyr%3Djoshua_allen&p.ct=Analysis&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=%23000&p.bgc1m=%23EAEAEA&sr=amp

I like Brandt's short summary blurb that highlights a prospect, without shying away from negatives here and there. Not too short, not too long.

I'm sure if you wanted to you could find some iffy comments ... but all the draft reviews are quirky and inconsistent, and wildly different from pundit to pundit.

The longer 'strengths/weaknesses' breakdown just have too much blather ... I can't even estimate the number of times I've read about a strength that is also mentioned as a weakness, such as: 'prospect has his head on a swivel' and then down below, 'needs to be more aware of stunts and blitzes' ...

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 4/16/2019 11:48:16 AM >
Post #: 963
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/16/2019 7:01:07 PM   
Bruce Johnson

http://www.mnvikingscorner.com/2019/04/how-could-vikings-address-offensive.html

Post #: 964
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/17/2019 7:37:39 AM   
Bill Jandro

I'd be down with trading back a few spots selecting Bradbury and then getting a Howard or Edoga later.

ie... Trade back to #21 w/Sea in exchange for their 3rd rd pick.

Point matchup is pretty close according to the value chart.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 965
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/17/2019 8:18:03 AM   
Todd M

Seattle will be sellers not buyers.

I have to say this year I'd just like us to make our pick.

I tried.

2006/2019
Post #: 966
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/17/2019 8:57:51 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I'd be down with trading back a few spots selecting Bradbury and then getting a Howard or Edoga later.

ie... Trade back to #21 w/Sea in exchange for their 3rd rd pick.

Point matchup is pretty close according to the value chart.

I think if we want to trade down, talk to Baltimore.

They lost 3 LBs in FA and Pittsburgh also needs a LB. They probably want to leapfrog the Steelers if Bush is available.
Post #: 967
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/17/2019 9:12:51 AM   
Mark Anderson

Just looking at trade down possibilities a little closer.

Team to trade down with is Pittsburgh. They have 10 picks. Baltimore just 6. Maybe tell them Baltimore ready to come up and snipe them. Get a 5th rounder for moving down 2 spots.
Post #: 968
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/17/2019 9:42:22 AM   
Bill Jandro

I'm wondering if Houston will try to trade up and leap frog us to aquire one of the top 3 OT's

They currently have the #23 pick. unless they think they've solved their problems by signing Matt Kalil

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 969
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/17/2019 10:39:40 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Just looking at trade down possibilities a little closer.

Team to trade down with is Pittsburgh. They have 10 picks. Baltimore just 6. Maybe tell them Baltimore ready to come up and snipe them. Get a 5th rounder for moving down 2 spots.

I'm not interested in trading down for a 5th round pick even if it's only 2 spots.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 970
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/17/2019 10:42:38 AM   
Bruce Johnson

A fifth rounder could enable us to move up 15 spots in the fourth round. (Just guessing. I didn't consult the trade value chart)

Post #: 971
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/17/2019 10:50:58 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I don't know if this was already posted. Maybe. They suggest a trade for the Vikes.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26539614/all-trades-2019-nfl-mock-draft-bill-barnwell-proposes-32-wild-deals

Post #: 972
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/17/2019 11:25:51 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Dude learn how to edit a long ass fn link...

Seriously

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
https://www.gofundme.com/save-rylee-nicole-from-foster-adoption
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 973
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/17/2019 11:35:21 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001026448/article/hot-150-gil-brandts-topranked-prospects-for-2019-nfl-draft?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=
s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Danalysis%3Bplyr%3Djoseph_bosa
%3Bplyr%3Daaron_donald%3Bplyr%3Djoshua_allen&p.ct
=Analysis&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=%23000&p.bgc1m=%23EAEAEA&sr=amp

It’s literally this easy....

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
https://www.gofundme.com/save-rylee-nicole-from-foster-adoption
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 974
RE: 2019 NFL Draft - 4/17/2019 11:49:54 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001026448/article/hot-150-gil-brandts-topranked-prospects-for-2019-nfl-draft?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=
s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Danalysis%3Bplyr%3Djoseph_bosa
%3Bplyr%3Daaron_donald%3Bplyr%3Djoshua_allen&p.ct
=Analysis&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=%23000&p.bgc1m=%23EAEAEA&sr=amp

It’s literally this easy....

Post #: 975
Page:   <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2019 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode